Forum › Secret Closet discussion

Don't%20forget%20the%20best%20girl
joined Jul 22, 2018

"Do the kabedon" haha best part

Mask
joined Jan 6, 2015

Now I kinda want to see her do the kabedon while in full gothloli gear.

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

"Do the kabedon" haha best part

No, the best part was when Toda asked if she should kabedon gothloli Yoshii.

Ds6osxcvsaabln5
joined Dec 13, 2017

Everybody here arguing about tomboys and trans women and I'm just wondering why is it tagged Yuri again? Two girls being supportive friends=Yuri?? Did they show any remote attraction towards each other? No. Did they kiss? No. Did they even give any slightest hint that they like girls? No. Who even tagged this. Are people here that desperate for Yuri? I am so fucking done with this author. I am really starting to hate them. They did the same crap in their previous mangas. I don't pay my internet bills to read trolling Subtext bullshit marketed as Yuri, bitch. Fuck this author and all their works (including the future ones).

586679-586678-51yyd2ts_il._sl500_aa300__super
joined Oct 4, 2018

Everybody here arguing about tomboys and trans women and I'm just wondering why is it tagged Yuri again? Two girls being supportive friends=Yuri?? Did they show any remote attraction towards each other? No. Did they kiss? No. Did they even give any slightest hint that they like girls? No. Who even tagged this. Are people here that desperate for Yuri? I am so fucking done with this author. I am really starting to hate them. They did the same crap in their previous mangas. I don't pay my internet bills to read trolling Subtext bullshit marketed as Yuri, bitch. Fuck this author and all their works (including the future ones).

The rough definition of "Yuri" in a Japanese context includes EVERYTHING from "romantic friendships" (which, despite what it may seem or sound, has absolutely nothing to do with actual romance between two very close friends), to puppy love, to nightly affairs, and all the way to full-blown romance. All of them involving two or more females.

Subtext or not, this oneshot IS no doubt Yuri.

last edited at Apr 19, 2019 12:19PM

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

I very much understand the internal "ugh" some may have for stories like this, but I liked this one.

Don't listen to the people who complain. This story is cute. Really cute. And, as Sakaki told to Chiyo, it's a fact: "Kakkoii vs. kawaii... kawaii is stronger!"

Sakaki is dead wrong

Ah, so you say, but... are you kakkoii enough to say it convincingly? :P
(When someone as cool as Sakaki says something like that, it carries a lot of weight...)

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

I liked that the girl who saw her classmate as she wanted to be seen got the girl :)

Your_hair_has_gotten_longer_by_folksneedheroes-d5l5v69
joined Apr 23, 2015

I for one enjoyed this one shot and certainly empathised with Toda-san. People aren't necessarily malicious. But the unintentional pressure and expectations they have can push you in certain directions.

Yeah. Very nicely put.

Your_hair_has_gotten_longer_by_folksneedheroes-d5l5v69
joined Apr 23, 2015

Ugh, another manga about how tomboys secretly long to be girly and are being forced into it by peer pressure or some nonsense.

Now that you mention it, I guess I have seen this quite a bit but off the top of my head I can think of almost as many stories where the tomboy was just a tomboy. Many times they were just side characters though . .

Gotta admit. So many oneshots are just so damn forgettable though.

joined Apr 18, 2018

Comments like yours are a cancer in pretty much any community. Thanks for ruining a random stranger's day. Go fuck a tree.

last edited at Apr 20, 2019 1:44AM

Ds6osxcvsaabln5
joined Dec 13, 2017

The rough definition of "Yuri" in a Japanese context includes EVERYTHING from "romantic friendships" (which, despite what it may seem or sound, has absolutely nothing to do with actual romance between two very close friends), to puppy love, to nightly affairs, and all the way to full-blown romance. All of them involving two or more females.

Subtext or not, this oneshot IS no doubt Yuri.

So why does Subtext tag exist then? By your logic all those Love Live anthologies and series like Slow Start should be tagged Yuri. These are tagged as Subtext for a reason. Most of the "Yuri" seen in this site involves actual romance between two women, not some high schoolers being normal friends, which is exactly what happened in this manga.

Comments like yours are a cancer in pretty much any community. Thanks for ruining a random stranger's day. Go fuck a tree.

Because you are a weeb who can't accept that I called a spade a spade, and "Two girls appear on screen together =/= YASSS LESBEANZZZ"? Yeah, right. And thanks, I'd rather fuck a tree than to be a pathetic person like you who faps to female friendships.

That being said, I am sorry for being so angry and triggered, but I've had enough from this author. I'm one of those people who rarely comment on stuff, but their continuous portrayal of shitty Subtext as Yuri has hit on a nerve (And no, we tomboys don't want to be secretly feminine, fuck anyone who has this kind of mindset). I wasted ten minutes of my life reading this crap, I'll never get them back. So I genuinely beg of the moderators, or whoever is responsible for tagging stories, PLEASE DON'T tag Subtext as Yuri. I'm speaking from the bottom of my heart, I will forever be grateful to you.

schuyguy Uploader
Imura%20ei%20music%20concert%20face
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

That being said, I am sorry for being so angry and triggered, but I've had enough from this author. I'm one of those people who rarely comment on stuff, but their continuous portrayal of shitty Subtext as Yuri has hit on a nerve (And no, we tomboys don't want to be secretly feminine, fuck anyone who has this kind of mindset). I wasted ten minutes of my life reading this crap, I'll never get them back. So I genuinely beg of the moderators, or whoever is responsible for tagging stories, PLEASE DON'T tag Subtext as Yuri. I'm speaking from the bottom of my heart, I will forever be grateful to you.

I can only say that you're reading this wrong. The author isn't saying that tomboys secretly want to be feminine. The author is saying that this character wants to be more feminine. If you're taking offense at that, then you really have no one to blame but yourself.

Also, the interaction between these characters is romantic. If you need them to come out and say they love each other before you can see that, then I'm sorry, but your reading comprehension is just very bad. There's more going on in a story than the literal meaning of the dialogue. As well as the usual tools of any literary medium, manga is a visual art, and the imagery contributes to the meaning.

062589fd3c9f5577a916b303e3c6c27f
joined Nov 16, 2013

I too hate this trope. Shame because the art was nice.

joined Jan 10, 2017

I can't stand the comments on this website, just enjoy the cute girls who enjoy cute girls

Yeah, lot of tumblrinas on here.

Sulk
joined Jul 19, 2015

You realize she's being peer pressured into being a tomboy, right? Not the other way around.

Ds6osxcvsaabln5
joined Dec 13, 2017

To the people replying, I meant to say that I hate that trope, I wasn't talking about this story particularly. Sorry for being hard to understand.

Also, the interaction between these characters is romantic. If you need them to come out and say they love each other before you can see that, then I'm sorry, but your reading comprehension is just very bad. There's more going on in a story than the literal meaning of the dialogue. As well as the usual tools of any literary medium, manga is a visual art, and the imagery contributes to the meaning.

I heeded to your words and re-read this to understand this story better and look at it with a different perspective...but nope, still can't see the Yuri. Maybe I'm blind or maybe you're right, my reading comprehension is just bad. Or maybe people need to tone down the delusions.

last edited at Apr 20, 2019 7:56AM

Cryssoberyl Uploader
Booklet1-high-pink-experiment
Zefiberyl Translations
joined Apr 11, 2011

Ah look, it's another episode of "mei is waifu declares a yuri story is not actually yuri and viciously attacks anyone who thinks otherwise". Fast becoming one of my least favorite episodes of Dynasty Comments.

Also,

You realize she's being peer pressured into being a tomboy, right? Not the other way around.

This. She never wanted to be a "tomboy", it was a role she was being pressured into against her will.

last edited at Apr 21, 2019 3:08PM

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

Unpopular Opinion Puffin: I like this trope. Mostly because I was and am a tomboy who has always struggled with looking less "masculine".

Also, some of y'all are saltier than the Dead Sea. Over a story. That someone else created. And others scanned, translated, typeset and released. For FREE. So it wasn't your favorite flavor. Well, then, scrape up those little sodium piles you seem to have dropped out of your spaghetti pockets and move along...

Ryuko
joined May 1, 2018

(https://i.imgur.com/2AMOAkL.png)
Yoshii-san.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HOW COULD YOU

last edited at Apr 22, 2019 8:35AM by Nezchan

Chinatsu%202
joined Jan 27, 2016

I don't get why the position of "stories that only have gay subtext should be tagged as subtext" always gets so much pushback here. Like, what's the point of tags if nobody is going to tag things accurately.

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

I don't get why the position of "stories that only have gay subtext should be tagged as subtext" always gets so much pushback here. Like, what's the point of tags if nobody is going to tag things accurately.

Probably because different people interpret things differently. I think this story was quite overt about their romantic interest, so there can be an argument for why its not just subtext.

Even if it wasn't, certain people express that opinion in overly aggressive ways, so the pushback is probably more related to such outbursts against the author, the readers and the mods. The author wrote a story that is arguably subtext... so what? It's not a personal insult and doesn't devalue the story. But most of the "This isn't yuri!" crowd takes it very personally and lashes out at the world at large.

Chinatsu%202
joined Jan 27, 2016

Probably because different people interpret things differently. I think this story was quite overt about their romantic interest, so there can be an argument for why its not just subtext.

Even if it wasn't, certain people express that opinion in overly aggressive ways, so the pushback is probably more related to such outbursts against the author, the readers and the mods. The author wrote a story that is arguably subtext... so what? It's not a personal insult and doesn't devalue the story. But most of the "This isn't yuri!" crowd takes it very personally and lashes out at the world at large.

I mean I can understand seeing as I too am pretty damn exhausted with this site's arbitrary tagging policies. The subtext thing is irritating enough but it's even worse when mods actively resist tagging emotionally jarring content to "preserve a twist." Like, hey edgelord maybe I didn't want to read a super fucked up story and your desire for shock value is wildly inconsiderate and defeats half the point of tagging shit. This isn't a psychological thriller archive it's a gay romance site.

Ds6osxcvsaabln5
joined Dec 13, 2017

[...] viciously attacks [...]

....Wow. I only defended myself from one person who attacked me first but okay. You know what, you win. I apologize for being blind, this story is the Yuriest Yuri to ever land on this site. This is even gayer than WDTFS. Happy? I hope this makes your day/night better. Goodbye.

Runrin-icon-wrd-2
joined Feb 9, 2019

I think most of the people who are annoyed by this comic came because it said Tomboy in the tags and are annoyed that they got a comic that challenged them. I noticed a similar response to Sisters Yuri. People demanding all sorts of tags--like Tragedy--when honestly Comedy would have been a better choice. It might be time to reevaluate things if you are getting worked up over a one shot not playing into your favorite trope.

Yoshii gained a little bit of Toda's cuteness. She always had it in her. She will grow out her hair.
Toda gained a little bit of Yoshii's coolness. She always had it in her. She will see school as less suffocating now.

Helping Yoshii open up about wanting to be cute helped Toda open up about her hobby as well.

They help each other be more themselves. I think that's brilliant.

I agree entirely. I think this manga is about girls helping each other to express themselves the way they want, rather than letting their classmates decide how they should behave and dress. All women are great, no matter how they want to present themselves, but Yoshii clearly felt like she had to present more masculine because of her body and the way she was treated. ("I'm too tall," "The boys' uniform fits me better," etc.) I don't think this comic is intolerant in any way, it is about being yourself despite environmental/social pressures. I think it is just as much about empowering women who want to present more masculine as it is women who want to present more feminine.

I don't get the base behind these kinds of manga, tomboys are tomboys for a reason and if they wanted to dress up cute, they would dress up cute. Sometimes you just need to do what you want to do without thinking about what people think about you.

"Tomboys are tomboys for a reason" -- in this case the reason isn't that she wanted to be a tomboy, but everyone around her told her she was better as one. People who are constantly told who they are by others will eventually come to believe it. Yoshii thinks that she can't be herself because of that pressure. ("You're too tall," "your boobs are too small," "your short haircut suits you," "you look like a boy," etc.) If you think it is so easy to just dress however you want, you clearly have never experienced pressure like this.

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

I mean I can understand seeing as I too am pretty damn exhausted with this site's arbitrary tagging policies. The subtext thing is irritating enough but it's even worse when mods actively resist tagging emotionally jarring content to "preserve a twist." Like, hey edgelord maybe I didn't want to read a super fucked up story and your desire for shock value is wildly inconsiderate and defeats half the point of tagging shit. This isn't a psychological thriller archive it's a gay romance site.

The comparison is a bit lacking. One is actively upsetting, the other simply doesn't reach the level of interest you would like it to have. Tragedy Angst and Depressing as Fuck tags exist as a warning mechanism, because they have averse effects on some people. I completely agree that the label must be applied to those.
Yuri or Subtext , that's more a matter of interpretation. At the very least the worst that can happen is that it's not as explicit as you would have liked.

last edited at Apr 23, 2019 11:23AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.