Forum › Anime season

--itou-chika-and-matsuoka-miu-ichigo-mashimaro-drawn-by-shinjiro--sample
joined Jan 1, 2014

Pastel Memories episode 9 contender for the gayest episode of the season, and yes I already watched the Manaria episode from yesterday.

Even if you dropped the show, this episode alone is worth watching.

And then Noa and Hinata went on a date.

--itou-chika-and-matsuoka-miu-ichigo-mashimaro-drawn-by-shinjiro--sample
joined Jan 1, 2014

Hotarun was very happy in the NNB movie

last edited at Mar 10, 2019 11:23AM

Img_20220214_023902-min
joined May 10, 2014

Just watched the NonNon Biyori movie.

A NEW SHIP SETS SAIL! AHOY MATEYS!

Kinda wish Hotaru and Koma-chan had more scenes. They are still very close, always sitting/sleeping together.

Feels kinda odd that the new JOJO OP is mostly past scenes, yet it still has so many spoilers.

AIFRIENDS S2 HYYYYPPPEEE

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Looking East posted:

I think this is also starting to change for the better with time. Just look at this last year or so or even this season. We have two shows at this moment that are not romances and which have unambiguous yuri elements in them.

Endro has two yuri crushes and a character that is strait up declaring she will rewrite the laws of the kingdom so she can get married to another female character, and Wataten! is a cute girls doing cute things series with two very unambiguous yuri crushes at the heart of what goes on in the series. Both of these are shows that could have easily left the yuri as subtext only without changing the over arching series much at all yet they didn't.

I guess I went into habit of generalizing a bit too much. My bad. It's true we get more and more anime where we get those more and less explicit yuri crushes, without series focusing on them specifically. I wouldn't count WataTen and similar adaptations though, since mangas were already specifically gay, so it's obvious they'd keep yuri in anime as well. There'd be no point to cut it, when it was half of appeal of source material. In fact WataTen is a prime example along with NTR, Citrus and Bloom Into You of blatant yuri manga being adapted into anime. Trend I obviously like.

What I meant more, is those big franchises focused more on appealing to male otakus, especially with male self insert, and selling merchandise. In those I'd never expect a confirmed ship, because it'd risk backlash of people who no longer can imagine the X girl being their only waifu and show ruining their image of her. And them being the main driving force behind money, make them the most important people to please.

Screen%20shot%202022-12-24%20at%201.57.08%20am
joined Jun 11, 2016

Homu protec.
Homu attac.
But most importantly....
HOMU COME BACC

45b4e36d555ca184502130f8249354c2--flcl-furi-kuri2
joined Jul 19, 2018

Looking East posted:

I think this is also starting to change for the better with time. Just look at this last year or so or even this season. We have two shows at this moment that are not romances and which have unambiguous yuri elements in them.

Endro has two yuri crushes and a character that is strait up declaring she will rewrite the laws of the kingdom so she can get married to another female character, and Wataten! is a cute girls doing cute things series with two very unambiguous yuri crushes at the heart of what goes on in the series. Both of these are shows that could have easily left the yuri as subtext only without changing the over arching series much at all yet they didn't.

I guess I went into habit of generalizing a bit too much. My bad. It's true we get more and more anime where we get those more and less explicit yuri crushes, without series focusing on them specifically. I wouldn't count WataTen and similar adaptations though, since mangas were already specifically gay, so it's obvious they'd keep yuri in anime as well. There'd be no point to cut it, when it was half of appeal of source material. In fact WataTen is a prime example along with NTR, Citrus and Bloom Into You of blatant yuri manga being adapted into anime. Trend I obviously like.

What I meant more, is those big franchises focused more on appealing to male otakus, especially with male self insert, and selling merchandise. In those I'd never expect a confirmed ship, because it'd risk backlash of people who no longer can imagine the X girl being their only waifu and show ruining their image of her. And them being the main driving force behind money, make them the most important people to please.

Yeah, you do have a point about big tent pole multi season shonen's steering clear of yuri themes, but that sort of makes sense in that these are series intended to be watched by primarily strait teenage boys and as you pointed out adding serious yuri to shows like that risks alienating gung ho fans when they find their waifu that they built a thousand dollar shrine for turns out to not like boys.

The one exception to this rule I can think of off the top of my head is Attack on Titan which has important, attractive lesbian characters that have a serious romantic sub plot, but although Attack on Titan is listed as a shonen it really is more of a seinen sort of show when it comes to the tone and writing.

All in all the anime industry seems to be moving in a more yuri friendly direction which makes me happy, but you are right in that I doubt we will ever see a lgbt lead in something like Black Clover or Dragon Ball.

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

Well dang it. Wish I had known of this thread sooner. Guess Manaria Friends was not completely overlooked after all!

I can't believe there is only 1 episode left. To think that a short anime with 15 minute episodes that is 99% subtext could somehow be the best yuri of the year (for now lol). I am not delusional enough to believe in a kiss or confession in the final episode, but probably a sleepover and cuddling in bed.

This is the kind of hardcore subtext with lewd handholding that doesn't need a confirmation. Only a blind deaf comatose person wouldn't be able to understand that these two love each other romantically. Anne & Grea contenders for best couple 2019?

last edited at Mar 18, 2019 10:09AM

Untitled
joined May 2, 2018

Any thoughts yet on the final(?) Hibike film that's premiering next month?

last edited at Mar 19, 2019 6:58AM

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Doctor_Hoot posted:

Attack on Titan which has important, attractive lesbian characters that have a serious romantic sub plot

Didn't that go terribly as expected? I heard they pulled a Clexa or some arranged marriage shit.

There's some other yuri in SnK outside of Historia x Ymir? Which ended before it could even go anywhere, since Ymir is super dead.

last edited at Mar 19, 2019 1:56PM

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

I certainly agree that Yuri should spread out across all genres. Even better if it's not the focus, because that means it will be normalized to the point where it doesn't have to carry a story, but is still something nobody raises a brow at. When Yuri isn't the goal. but just a component, that is the moment you know it's entered the mainstream.

Well as mainstream as anime can get anyhow. lol

Doctor_Hoot posted:

Attack on Titan which has important, attractive lesbian characters that have a serious romantic sub plot

Didn't that go terribly as expected? I heard they pulled a Clexa or some arranged marriage shit.

There's some other yuri in SnK outside of Historia x Ymir? Which ended before it could even go anywhere, since Ymir is super dead.

No there is no other yuri than betwen those two. But additionally to Ymir getting killed off, Historia also gets a man forced on her (more or less) and preggars. That's probably what Hoot is refering to.

What a fun manga, right?

last edited at Mar 19, 2019 3:46PM

Img_20220214_023902-min
joined May 10, 2014

Hikaru keeps saying Erena has the best smile, but the same episode gives us this:this. Lala can achieve world peace and cure cancer with that.
Also.... Lewd

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

BugDevil posted:

This is the kind of hardcore subtext with lewd handholding that doesn't need a confirmation. Only a blind deaf comatose person wouldn't be able to understand that these two love each other romantically. Anne & Grea contenders for best couple 2019?

I support this couple until the end of my days! I remember expecting this years ago since the announcement, I think it was delayed for some reason? and then they made that AWWWWWWWFUUUUUUUUUUUULLL season 2 of Bahamut and everyone was mad, they should've made this from the start and by now we could've had a season 2 because it hurts to know that there's only one episode left... Not fair at all :s but please let it be a sleepover episode

And I agree, this is the most wholesome yuri couple we've had in years, and I'm glad for Ann for confirming it with her own words just in case any hater was left standing. I don't know what to expect of the last episode... I don't want it to end at all.

Someone posted a meme yesterday comparing Manaria with Maid dragon and I said "Kobayashi can go F itself" because Manaria has more yuri in 10 minutes than whatever Kobayashi and Tooru can do in 2 seasons and the whole friking manga... That anime was only saved by Kanna and Aikawa.

PS: Fuck SNK
PS2: sorry if I sound a little mad... The reason is, I'm mad.

last edited at Mar 21, 2019 12:04AM

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

Anne & Grea contenders for best couple 2019?

I support this couple until the end of my days!

Someone posted a meme yesterday comparing Manaria with Maid dragon and I said "Kobayashi can go F itself" because Manaria has more yuri in 10 minutes than whatever Kobayashi and Tooru can do in 2 seasons and the whole friking manga... That anime was only saved by Kanna and Aikawa.

PS: Fuck SNK
PS2: sorry if I sound a little mad... The reason is, I'm mad.

How conflicting. I am glad to see someone else who adores Anne & Grea as much as I do, but at the same time I really like Dragon Maid and especially Tohru and Kobayashi too... I think especially in the manga they also share a unspoken relationship (well Tohru speaks it a lot actually) that is quite nice, because they really are like a family. Looking forward to season 2.

Well SNK has quite a few issues, especially in the recent arc. But at least it doesn't conform to anything lol

last edited at Mar 21, 2019 4:15PM

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

I just can't enjoy relationship where one shows 90% of the love and the other seems bothered by it most of the times...

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

I just can't enjoy relationship where one shows 90% of the love and the other seems bothered by it most of the times...

Tohru is certainly overcompensating, but the entire deal is that Kobayashi is not an overly social and outgoing person. She shows her appreciation in her own way. If you read the festival chapters you just know how Kobayashi really feels.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Oh I know that chapter, but we need more festival chapters...
Anyway... I just saw the non non biyori movie and ya'll have to watch it!!!!!! 100/10! And it was Nice to see all the flora and fruits in Okinawa is so alike Venezuela, I Guess thats the thing with tropical places huh!

Manaria friends ending completely ruined my day, I knew it was a possibility given their positions but they didn't need to say it, fack... I'm so sad

last edited at Mar 24, 2019 1:22PM

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

Manaria Friends is over, oh lordie.
Sleepover? Hah! They got an upgrade. Now every day will be a sleepover for those two lol
Let the doujins come I guess.

Manaria friends ending completely ruined my day, I knew it was a possibility given their positions but they didn't need to say it, fack... I'm so sad

Don't worry nothing's set in stone. All Anne said is that they will be apart for a while, but that doesn't mean permanently. She just plans on focusing on the kingdom for a while.
Considering they are both princesses and thus of equal standing, this could be a very beneficial political marriage for both kingdoms. So depending on how many siblings Grea has she could easily be the 2nd or 3rd in line and thus be married off to Anne. Just food for thought.

last edited at Mar 24, 2019 4:02PM

joined Mar 18, 2018

@BugDevil I keep seing you everywhere i go... Guess that means you have good taste in yuri ^^
As for Manaria Frieands I absolutely loved this series, but now when it's over i don't want it to end...
So i make this forum post in hopes to find others who share my love for this series in an attempt to keep it alive!
I really hope that at some point in the future we get a season 2 or at-least an OVA!~

last edited at Mar 24, 2019 2:20PM

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

@BugDevil I keep seing you everywhere i go... Guess that means you have good taste in yuri ^^
As for Manaria Frieands I absolutely loved this series, but now when it's over i don't want it to end...

Chalk that one up to sheer quantity. From the sheer amount of stuff I read I am bound to hit some good ones sometimes lol

Yeah I know how ya feel. This emptiness after a beloved series ends is almost unbearable. You just wanna fill it with as much related media as you can.

last edited at Mar 24, 2019 2:31PM

joined Mar 6, 2019

Anything interesting to look forward to in the spring season?

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

I'm just not getting into yuri anime these days. Either it's something I've read as a manga anyway, or it feels like the same trite old stuff - where you can predict half the dialogues and reactions as it's the same old jokes, with the same old character types doing the same old things, just dressed up a bit differently.

So much as I enjoy there regularily being new yuri additions it's just all kinda ... bleh. Not my taste. ^^;

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

I just feel betrayed... Because this time they went too far.
But I'm sure in a couple of days I won't feel so bad, Bugdevil yeah lets hope, no one knows whats gonna happen.

Also I repeat, watch the non non biyori movie!

Webp.net-resizeimage%20(1)
joined Jan 7, 2018

in terms of yuri, sadly, nope.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

I'm going to rewatch Bodacious space pirates and rinne no Lagrange

last edited at Mar 24, 2019 4:23PM

Heavy%20cruiser%20160
joined Apr 27, 2013

There's Hitoribocchi no OO Seikatsu and probably Hachigatsu no Cinderella Nine. Might get something out of Carole & Tuesday, but I wouldn't hold my breath. ...It's not a large season

To reply you must either login or sign up.