Forum › Nettaigyo wa Yuki ni Kogareru discussion

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Doctor_Hoot posted:

This is about time I cut my losses and give up on the subtext here. I don't have the emotional capacity to put up with it anymore. I'm just gonna look at the two as friends from now on, unironically. At least then I can still enjoy it, maybe. That hug was nice, no yuri was required for it. (Though maybe I'll also put in on hold until it ends; still on the fence about that.)

Still would have been nice if the manga had been more honest about what it was going for. And before y'all can make fun of me for being overly sensitive: it's one thing when the subtext is just silly fun, and another when it's arguably the main attraction, taken up to eleven. But if I am too sensitive, then so be it, I don't care anymore.

Lowering your expectations or just not expecting at all is a safe bet, if the series delivers at the end it makes it sweet and if it doesn't... Well, "Meh" but I guess we all learned something from Stretch back in the day, they were really close roommates

Untitled
joined May 2, 2018

Is there some crucial bit of backstory we haven't got yet? Eg. when mom says "I guess Koyuki really let it get to her" I have no idea what she's referring to.

0b955f79-53d7-4077-9788-189760d17f51
joined Aug 21, 2013

Is there some crucial bit of backstory we haven't got yet? Eg. when mom says "I guess Koyuki really let it get to her" I have no idea what she's referring to.

I thought it was just because of that woman (and probably other unknown characters) commenting how “perfect” she acts and felt like she had an obligation to continue doing so. But then again, it might be something else too

2641afdd-9dc4-4327-a1c3-a5b558c33522
joined Mar 12, 2014

I thought the insight into Koyuki’s past was interesting—unlike the usual melodramatic traumas that explain a manga character’s changed personality, with Koyuki it was more like things tend to happen in real life: a kid goes along doing what it seems like everyone else is doing, and because of factors that aren’t even bad ones (being a high-achiever, having a dad who’s a teacher), they end up locked into behavior and thought patterns where they don’t feel like they can be their real selves.

And they can’t even talk to anybody about it. What’s Koyuki going to say when her dad asks her what’s wrong—“Well, Dad, I feel alienated from everybody else as well as from myself because my grades are too high and because you’re a teacher”?

It’s times like that when a person needs a friend. An exceptionally warm, understanding, and affectionate friend.

All this, I was happy to hear a genuine and realistic reason for how Koyuki can be a bit closed off, instead of some forced drama that would really change the tone of the manga

Also whoever said they're just going to see them as friends to not hurt their shipper heart, I'm also on board with that because I'm certain after this chapter it's going to stay subtext

They are still adorable however

joined Oct 5, 2016

This is like, the most explicit subtext-only series ever.

Like, do they ever say anything more than, "Our daughter has a new friend and is coming out of her shell a bit, that's nice." No, no they do not.

But on the other hand holy shit, it's sooo hard not to read this as Koyuki's parents talking about how yeah, their daughter is totally gay, and they support her but worry for her. And her brother's like, "Don't worry about what people think!" And Koyuki's like, "I want to be confident no matter who I am." Like, is mom really sitting out on a park bench, taking a heavy drag of coffee and staring at the ground while she talks all because her daughter has a -friend- now? Or that everyone is that stressed out over Koyuki getting spotted smiling sometimes? lol, nah.

Singeraigenerated
joined Feb 11, 2018

It's funny how as soon as we have a chapter where Konatsu's involvement is bit less on the front page, people fall into depression due to their fear that their expectations are not going to be fulfilled. I mean, that seems quite familiar... :D

last edited at Feb 1, 2019 4:08AM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

It's funny how as soon as we have a chapter where Konatsu's involvement is bit less on the front page, people fall into depression due to their fear that their expectations are not going to be fulfilled. I mean, that seems quite familiar... :D

Yeah, I get it that here in Yuri-Land, overt lesbian love is the gold standard, and for some people the be-all and end-all for every story. I too would love to see them kiss and say, “I love you.”

But for all the fun we’ve had goofing around about how friendly these friends are, however it turns out, this has been a warm, sweet story with well-drawn characters and emotionally affecting scenes—the kind of series I’ve come to think of as “fluff with depth.”

Koyuki and Konatsu are among the more memorable and convincing characters I’ve seen in an essentially light-hearted kind of story like this one, and I don’t anticipate being disappointed (and certainly nothing like “betrayed”) however the author handles the endgame.

last edited at Feb 1, 2019 12:30PM

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

"Koyuki came out!!"

Yeah, it really was about time. :D

a

What a great first post on this forum. Truly magnificent.

Also this manga somehow manages to make me feel incredibly calm and warm as few other series do.
It's almost on the same level as the anime adaptation of Konohana Kitan. D:

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

I'm all for yuri, but from time to time, reading a actual good story about friendship between girls is nice too. I'm really enjoying this one.

Kikaluna Uploader
Ef2_zi-u4ae1h8g
Noca Scans
joined Nov 20, 2017

I'm not crying, you're crying!

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Vol 4 cover

BeanBeanKingdom
Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

I'm a dumb noob, please teach me how to post images, o knowledgeable one.

joined Jul 26, 2016

This thread is pinned for a reason.

TifalovesAerith
joined May 7, 2017

and you can always quote the message to check what are the input commands

Senjougahara_sama
Rowow
joined Jun 12, 2017

And it's all thanks to your superfriend. My heart grew three sizes today.

Schermata%202019-01-10%20alle%2012.23.08
joined Mar 20, 2018

This chapter resonates so much with me... I truly am in love with this manga. The characters feel so real

Ryuko
joined May 1, 2018

Gosh this series is just so beautiful to look at and so heartwarming. This chapter in particular made me feel all warm and want to go hug my parents. Makes me think of how I was when I was a kid compared to now. I kind of have the opposite problem as the black haired girls, I was such a perfect, grade A student, a kid who never slacked off or procrastinated, someone who always put their whole effort no matter what it was, pottery, playing, studying... how did I grow up to be such a failure and a disappointment?

Artoria
joined Sep 12, 2018

Darn, parental hug really got me.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Wanderer posted:

Gosh this series is just so beautiful to look at and so heartwarming. This chapter in particular made me feel all warm and want to go hug my parents. Makes me think of how I was when I was a kid compared to now. I kind of have the opposite problem as the black haired girls, I was such a perfect, grade A student, a kid who never slacked off or procrastinated, someone who always put their whole effort no matter what it was, pottery, playing, studying... how did I grow up to be such a failure and a disappointment?

Blame anime and mango

Ryuko
joined May 1, 2018

Wanderer posted:

Blame anime and mango

I do already, very much so

F6027a7c125b156932db27aa264cfb2a
joined Jul 3, 2015

Damn didn't expect to see from the perspective of the parents. Actually kind of relatable when you think about how you used to be as a kid compared to now.

joined Dec 18, 2018

this is probably the cutest thing I've ever read. the two main characters are awkward turtles which i relate v strongly with. i don't even mind that much that like the subtext is tearing me apart, it heals my soul soooo much to see something this wholesome.

joined Feb 1, 2019

Alright so it's gonna be my first post here, hello everyone! I hope you're doing well.

This chapter was a quintessence of everything I love about this series. And as much as I would like these two aborable folks to get together, I'll still hold this manga close to my heart even if it'll stay as a subtext. Of course if things won't get more messed up like the author suddenly introducing a male love interest or unecessary love triangle, but I believe that Hagino-sensei won't dissapoint me in this way.

Besides I'm not quite sure as my Japanese skills are not so great (as well as English so please forgive me), but I've seen that the author tweeted lately that Hanigare was nominated to be animated and there's a voting for it, am I right? If so it would be great if we got an anime adaptation in the future. I wonder what kind of studio would be the most suiting for this manga.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Besides I'm not quite sure as my Japanese skills are not so great (as well as English so please forgive me), but I've seen that the author tweeted lately that Hanigare was nominated to be animated and there's a voting for it, am I right? If so it would be great if we got an anime adaptation in the future. I wonder what kind of studio would be the most suiting for this manga.

Saw this on MyAnimeList's Facebook page a couple of days ago, yes.

AnimeJapan is once again holding their annual open poll for the manga you most want to see adapted into anime, which includes 100 options!
Comment your answer and why you voted for it below.

Vote Here: https://www.anime-japan.jp/main/ajranking/
Translated List of Manga: https://imgur.com/a/bYgz7Xm

And yes, I did vote for this series.

To reply you must either login or sign up.