Forum › Shibuya District, Maruyama Neighborhood: After School discussion

Kuro_bear
joined Apr 1, 2013

That was nice. Kind of reminded me of the manga LIFE, which (too bad) was only limited to strong BFF female friendship QQ

joined Feb 1, 2013

That was fucking awesome. Nice to still discover some gems on this site.

joined Jul 17, 2013

this is one of my favorite one shots here, i love it

palakangorange
Witch
joined Feb 24, 2013

thank you Lililicious for this another gem. dame, that line went straight to my heart - "we'll be first class villains" and yeah, though cliche - "we're the strongest when we're together."

joined Apr 13, 2012

Pretty moving indeed, this week i've been looking for good works and i have come to know many gems just like this one. Loved the quote "This is our garden but we're hated".

Z%20ss
joined Oct 15, 2013

This truly is a gem.

Underoneroof
joined Jan 17, 2014

I was going to skip this one because of the art but it grew on me. I like it a lot now especially the hair and the story was sooooooo nice. Like everyone else said, yes truly a gem.

Yuri_Is_My_Lyfe
X
joined Feb 8, 2014

I feel as though this story was about two girls forming a very tight friendship. The kiss was merely to cure one's curiosity. At least to me, I don't feel this was a yuri feeling story. Which is cool by me either way.

Untitled102_20231004232707
joined Mar 26, 2014

I really liked this and the drawing style is amazing because I don't see it that often.
It was super cute thank you for making it! ^^

E45afc863d55cd80c9ab7f52ecfd8c84
joined Jul 19, 2016

Page 57: "While writing this series . . . I pretty much lived in Shibuya's Maruyama neighborhood. I carried my little daughter with me. I took pictures of the hotel area for reference" (emphasis left out).

I think we seldom take the time to really appreciate the effort that creators like this go to. It's like going the extra mile. Not everyone who reads it is going to notice the amount of detail in something like a landscape. It's like CGI in movies. If it's done poorly, it sticks out like a sore thumb. Whereas if it's done well, it often goes unnoticed. It's working hard on something that might not even be noticeable, something that only works subtly toward what people see in the finished production.

E45afc863d55cd80c9ab7f52ecfd8c84
joined Jul 19, 2016

It's weird because out of all the bullying that took place in this story, the thing that bothered me the most (well, aside from the fake love letter which pissed me off more) was the homophobic person at the love hotel. Maybe it's because they went to a place where they could leave the stupid people and things behind yet with the escape or freedom that they sought and found, they also found the shackles of society which they had likely never faced in the same way.

By the end though, they each grow as individuals because of these things. At the part of the love hotel, I'm reminded of the quote from the yamanba who said that ". . . we're hated. Even though this is our garden."

I'm really glad that the main character had someone to pour her heart out to. Even if in retrospection our own problems seem less significant, it doesn't change how we feel in the present. And prior to that moment, she was the very definition of keeping your feelings bottled up inside until they explode.

last edited at Feb 5, 2017 3:46AM

Asf
joined Jan 12, 2017

Instant favourite, really liked the art and the story!

joined Apr 25, 2017

I feel as though this story was about two girls forming a very tight friendship. The kiss was merely to cure one's curiosity. At least to me, I don't feel this was a yuri feeling story. Which is cool by me either way.

Nah nah nah, dont ruin it, dont ruin it. That was a wholeheartedly kiss full of love. That was yuri at its finest.

Screen%20shot%202018-05-22%20at%2010.12.36%20pm%20copy
joined May 22, 2018

Found a note on my computer with a list of one-shots and just re-discovered this....beautiful

Untitled
joined May 2, 2018

Thanks for the bump, this was great.

Screenshot%20(107)
joined Dec 27, 2014

Damn... This is going in my all time favorites list. Wonderful.

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

Just rediscovered this one by pure luck. I loved it the first time I read it, and I still love it now. <3 Okazaki Mari is such a great author.

White%20rose%20index
joined Aug 16, 2018

Thx for the bump, lovely story.

Thinkamen
joined Oct 26, 2018

oh boy. man this one was good. just the right balance of fluff and bittersweet with a happy ending. perfect

Captura
joined Nov 3, 2018

Oh shit, this is gooood. I love it when I discover some high quality one-shots.

Dynastyscans
joined May 24, 2022

I highschool I always thought of my self as "positive" and "optimistic"... this has beautifully put into paper those feelings that I was never able to fully express. Love the art, love the story.

To reply you must either login or sign up.