Forum › Posts by renetero

renetero
E45afc863d55cd80c9ab7f52ecfd8c84
joined Jul 19, 2016

Not enough set up for the characters before new ones are introduced. :(

joined Jul 19, 2016

Is it going to happen? Will the Naglfar finally set sail? Will our two heroines battle the gods themselves?!
(The answer is a resounding 'probably not.')

renetero
joined Jul 19, 2016

A bit anticlimactic.

renetero
joined Jul 19, 2016

How foreboding . . .

joined Jul 19, 2016

well that escalated quickly..............not complaining

Same.

renetero
joined Jul 19, 2016

We need more Yuri / sports manga

joined Jul 19, 2016

Pretty good. I wish it was a little longer.

renetero
joined Jul 19, 2016

I read this for the art. I was not disappointed in that respect.

renetero
Girl Talk discussion 15 Mar 04:50
joined Jul 19, 2016

This has potential to be a great series. It's still really good just as a oneshot though.

last edited at Mar 15, 2017 4:52AM

renetero
joined Jul 19, 2016

Low key yandere

renetero
joined Jul 19, 2016

I'm liking this more and more. Chapter was too short.

joined Jul 19, 2016

What a good retelling.

renetero
joined Jul 19, 2016

Honestly had to refresh my memory by reading part of the previous chapter. Still great though. Also found this chapter surprisingly funny.

joined Jul 19, 2016

My mom gave me chocolate on Valentine's so I feel loved.

joined Jul 19, 2016

NTR would be if Umi was going out with Kaede... I bet they're just roommates or something.

You must have had some very interesting roommates.

I laughed too much at this.

joined Jul 19, 2016

Can someone explain why so many of the character bios in these manga mention the character's blood type? I assume there's some cultural significance, but I dunno what it is.

Basically this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_type_personality_theory

If you want more examples, also check out this: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PersonalityBloodTypes

Despite the fact that Makino gives proper instruction, others do not always listen to her. They see her as being too serious. On page 12, she thinks “she didn’t follow my instructions here, or here, or here either, how many times have I told her? And she still gets it wrong!” This shows that her coworkers do not pay enough attention to her instruction. It could even mean that they are actively ignoring her advice in order to frustrate her or slow her down.

It could also be that she really is a perfectionist who has unreasonably high expectations of part-time workers who are only there for some spare change and a chance to meet a potential husband. From personal experience, I can say that many professionals do start taking their own level of skill for granted and are not really good at teaching others, especially if they aren't self-motivated to work, like Seo. This is actually the most common cause of the proverb "If you you want something done right, do it yourself" being uttered in professional environments.

My point is, there needs not be something sinister like Makino's co-workers actively sabotaging her efforts in the background.

Upon re-reading the earlier part of the chapter, their gossip really is as you say. Not seeing work so much as a career as seeing it as a stepping stone to marriage. It isn't as bad as I thought it was (although talking behind someone else's back is still not a good thing to do).

(Note: I know you weren't referring to the earlier part of the chapter, however, I thought it proved a lot of what you said.)

They also called Makino stubborn and the worst they said was concerning her apparent divorce (which of course may not have even happened). This may have no correlation to the part-time worker (well, she probably was a part-time worker) who failed to adhere to what seemed like most of Makino's instruction. Of course, that was merely a speculation and I'm probably too used to reading stories where people really do purposely cause trouble for others.

last edited at Feb 14, 2017 4:17PM

renetero
Anime season 14 Feb 16:00
joined Jul 19, 2016

^^ You caught me, I don't watch openings lol

I tend to just skip ops if the songs/visuals don't catch my attention early on. The only op I have watched in its entirety & don't skip every ep this season is Onihei's. Basically Bebop-level OP. Acca's one is pretty nice, too, but the typography is not as well-integrated & intriguing.

I mainly watch the opening for each episode when I am watching an anime in the season in which it is currently airing.

If it's something I'm catching up with from a previous season and I have time to watch multiple episodes of the same series in a single sitting, I still have the opening fresh in my mind from the previous episode(s) so I will most likely skip it.

I used to skip them almost altogether until I watched various "What's in an OP?" videos by the YouTuber Mother's Basement. This made me want to pay more attention to openings in general. And I have found that by watching the opening of a particular series multiple times throughout its run, I am able to better understand the show and enjoy it.

That's just me though and I'm sure there are a lot of people that will skip them to save on time or because they want to hurry and watch the episode.

renetero
Anime season 14 Feb 04:34
joined Jul 19, 2016

Gabriel dropout is always so fun. <3

"Trick or dog!"

renetero
Anime season 14 Feb 03:57
joined Jul 19, 2016

The yuri in LWA exists in the goggles turning up to maximum power. This also comes with het filter for an extra $100. Apparently, some yuri fans went cheap & didn't buy the filter, thinking that Y chromosomes don't exist in this series, so their goggles cracked at the sight of the latest ep.

We saw what's his face in the opening though.

renetero
Anime season 14 Feb 02:20
joined Jul 19, 2016

Yuri in little witch just die...RIP.
Akko is Het!!
IT'S DEAD!!!

Was it ever alive, though? None of the characters have any chemistry with each other (though, this includes the guys that just showed up...)

I agree. I never really saw it as a romance.

renetero
Anime season 14 Feb 02:18
joined Jul 19, 2016

https://youtu.be/VSrv_n4tw7w

AHHH HELL YEAHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Samurai Jack is back!!! My childhood is back!!!

I watched the trailer so many times. Judging from the YouTube comments, the music in the trailer is from Carpenter Brut. I think his music really fits the tone of this final limited series. Though it could be that his music will only be in the trailer and not in the actual series. That makes me wonder if James L. Venable will be back as the composer. Either way my expectations are high.

Lol i rewatched that trailer more than any movie trailer. The music and childhood memories made me so hyped and emotional. I just hope they will make at least 2 seasons of it.

It's a limited series. I think it's going to be 10 episodes that finally finish the story. And I'd rather it finally finish off right. I do wish it got more episodes though but alas, what can be done?

joined Jul 19, 2016

As a french, who loves and read manga on top of that, I can tell that mangas are fairly popular here, especially among the "young" ones (let's say those under 40 years). That goes for the most popular mangas though, those who really are fond of manga and japanese culture, the "otaku" [you'd call them weebs] are kind of despised and ostracised from the rest of the community. I'm exaggerating and generalizing, but I myself witnessed that several times.

On a more amusing note, there's also a small amount of french manga; and I'm gonna promote my all time favorite, but I'm particularily proud that we have Dreamland ! And I'm actually surprised that there are some chapters translated and hosted on mangafox.

It looks interesting. I'll probably check it out.

Thank you for your answer. That's exactly what I was looking for in regards to current popularity.

As far as ostracizing goes, I'm pretty sure that's something that happens in practically every culture. I think the main reason is that if someone can't relate to something you enjoy, then there is nothing to talk about. I also think there are a lot of misconceptions around manga and anime in general.

joined Jul 19, 2016

Makino seems to be a career woman with years of experience and possibly a past of heartbreak (judging by the rumors about her) while Seo is 18 and works part-time while attending a musical arts university. I'm interested to see where this story will go and am liking it so far.

There was a particular part early in the chapter that bothered me though. How did Makino’s coworkers (or junior coworkers? not sure what to call them) not notice her? Or were they speaking ill of her regardless? Anyhow, I’m glad that Seo stood up for Makino, even if Makino found it troublesome. Seo didn’t do so because it was right, rather, she simply spoke her mind. She seems to be a very straight forward, honest person. The type to speak her mind despite negative reactions doing so might cause. Which I think is great by the way, at least in this context.

Makino on the other hand seems to be the type of person to take her work very seriously and to stay out of personal relationships. Although rumors obviously aren’t to be taken completely seriously, there is probably some truth to them. Perhaps some sort of heartbreak or hesitation in Makino’s past has given her reason to distrust other people.

Despite the fact that Makino gives proper instruction, others do not always listen to her. They see her as being too serious. On page 12, she thinks “she didn’t follow my instructions here, or here, or here either, how many times have I told her? And she still gets it wrong!” This shows that her coworkers do not pay enough attention to her instruction. It could even mean that they are actively ignoring her advice in order to frustrate her or slow her down.

Seo seems to not take her advice for granted though as after Seo hands her work to Makino, Makino looks at it and thinks “did she listen to me properly?” and tells her “you can go home now, this is done.” This is also quite sad though as Makino is so used to others not listening to her, she is legitimately surprised when someone does, and of all people Seo is probably the youngest person there (although there are other part-time workers as we see in the earlier part of the chapter, some of which may be younger than her).

Makino looks annoyed by Seo though, and thinks “those eyes, I’m not good with them. I feel antsy.” It could be that when you have interacted with so many two-faced people for so long, finally meeting someone who is honest will make you extremely cautious. Makino might even sense Seo’s straightforwardness and become wary of it simply because she is so unfamiliar with that kind of person or attitude.

Makino sends Seo home at 2:56 PM. Seo spends this time practicing with her band. It isn’t until 8:14 PM that Makino clocks out. Seo says that her rehearsal “just ended” and that she only “waited a bit,” thinking that it might be time for Makino to leave for home. She was probably telling the truth, especially given her previously introduced character traits (i.e. being honest, straight forward), however, there is the possibility that she was purposely waiting for some time (although she most likely didn’t wait for 5 hours).

This makes me wonder if she set up the rehearsal time prior to her work day, planning on finishing her work early, or if the band members were just available at that time. This might seem like an insignificant detail but it could prove that Seo holds some kind of strong interest in Makino. Whether this is romantic or not is still unclear.

renetero
Syrupy Love discussion 13 Feb 20:39
joined Jul 19, 2016

Ah, gj Misaki-chan. It's not about blind, baseless faith on what you want to believe. It's about being okay with the truth about her, if you really care for her.

I really liked that moment. It's too bad it was kind of overshadowed by the story's faults.

renetero
Syrupy Love discussion 13 Feb 20:31
joined Jul 19, 2016

The artwork is good, however, characters and story are absolutely vital. I wish the story was more cohesive. Last chapter still seemed like the introduction yet now we're almost at the end. I guess I should say that I'm thankful that it's at least reaching a conclusion, whatever that may be.

last edited at Feb 26, 2017 7:24AM