Forum › All of Humanity is Yuri Except For Me discussion

joined Feb 11, 2014

Maybe instead of the entire world magically changing overnight, it's a case where she ended up in an alternate universe where males disappeared ages ago?

Of course that would mean the yuri-universe MC ended up in the "normal" universe, too...

Well, it might not be a straightforward swap: she could have overwritten yuriverse MC or something like that. Inadequate information there...

I'm sensing that this girl has fallen into paradise and is in denial about it.

EDIT: Poked around on the author's twitter, and the machine translator is telling me that this is something of a preview chapter, with the proper story starting on the 16th.

Should first chapter be changed to Ch.0 then?

That's a staff decision, I think.

Omochikaeri_thumb
joined Nov 2, 2013

when you catch the het bug in a yuri utopia. Sucks to be you girl.

Pee
joined Oct 1, 2014

Interesting, can I live in this world?

Fennec
joined May 28, 2012

How Cosplay Fetish should be.

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Norainhere posted:

Maybe instead of the entire world magically changing overnight, it's a case where she ended up in an alternate universe where males disappeared ages ago?

Same thing to me. Her world 1 day magically changed into alternative universe. She still could be only person affected/unaffected.

63515893-13a8-47bc-ac30-925c9c72c86e
joined Mar 1, 2018

What!? Furgwbihsiaoenbdk cliFfhANger!!!!

joined Jan 5, 2018

lmao this gonna be gud

690ea2d43c833a395aa79e98116d8d2f
joined Apr 15, 2018

LOL that's weird but also good

wat was that movie.. firefly? women enslaved the men?

Pixelavatar48
joined Mar 29, 2013

when you're having a normal one

Inai hou ga ii ningen
joined May 23, 2018

2019.doc

joined Jun 30, 2016

Oh boy this looks good!

joined Jan 15, 2018

Here the “normal” is not the antonym of “abnormal” but “extraordinary”.

Itwouldbe-yuriscans
joined Oct 30, 2018

wonder how history books describe extinct men back then

Gt00pn-odpc
joined Sep 30, 2017

UTOPY! THIS IS UTTER UTOPY! I WOULD LIKE TO GO TO THAT WORLD, BUT I DON´T THINK ME AND MY DICK ARE WORTHY OF SUCH PARADISE! WE WOULD RUIN EVERYTHING!

Chito%20&%20yuuri%20sleep
joined Aug 13, 2017

She doesn't think it is normal, because she is the only girl that wasn't affected by miracle magic, so she still is straight and doesn't understand why everyone is suddenly openly gay. She has nothing against being gay, it just wasn't something she saw everyday from every angle, so what felt "normal" to her yesterday, suddenly is not normal anymore. Also challenging her perception of normal seems to be kinda the premise this manga as she is the only straight girl left in yuri paradise.

well, the thing is... it might be the translation, so it's hard to say for sure, but the way some of her internal monologue is worded makes it sound less like it's her who's not used to seeing gay people, and more like it's the author themselves who thinks that homosexuality is abnormal? stuff like

"I, Uruuno Marika, fall in love just like any normal person."
"To live normally. To fall in love normally. To have a normal wedding, build a normal family, and die a normal death."

these lines use 'normal' as a shorthand for 'straight', which... well, it's literally what heteronormativity is. but what makes it feel like it's coming from the author and not her is how it doesn't feel the need to specify that for her, 'falling in love normally' means 'falling in love with a boy'. it just... says it and expects the audience to be on the same page? which says a whole lot about where the author's coming from. and while we're at it...

Yep, nothing abnormal about a world made up entirely of lesbians. Nothing at all.

i thought that the way the classroom scene was presented made it pretty clear that 'there are more lesbians than usual' is not the reason she thought the situation was abnormal...

on top of that, the fact that she's the protagonist gives her 'normal' a greater weight than anyone else's. you might've heard of protagonist-centered morality, and this is a similar thing; so when she says "this isn't normal", unless the work goes out of its way challenges that (and it doesn't), we're implicitly expected to agree with her.

also "not having anything against gay people" really does not mean much at all, especially when one of her lines in the classroom ("There can't possibly be any abnormalities in my normal life") is awfully close to 'i'm ok with gay people, as long as they're not gay near me'

...don't get me wrong, i'm aware that this is just chapter 0, and that things could (and probably will) change as the series progresses. and it'd be great if i turned out to be wrong and this series ended up being social commentary that challenges conceptions of 'normal'! but i won't be surprised if that doesn't happen, since, as i said, the not-really-serious framing and paneling aren't pointing towards that being a thing the series is interested in doing.

last edited at Dec 29, 2018 9:54PM

joined Feb 11, 2014

You know, I just realized that the protag is gonna have to doublecheck who her parents are...

5a335bf2131492a81e6c35c0a56add10
joined Nov 25, 2017

I wanna go there.......for SCIENCE of course hahaha....

joined Nov 4, 2018

yuritopia, seem interesting

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

The day before it happened there was a small artcile in the paper about how Dynasty Reader had reached its 10 millionth viewer ...

My guess is Science Babies soon.

last edited at Dec 29, 2018 10:36PM

joined Aug 31, 2018

I would be ok with suddenly ceasing to exist if this is the world that my death could create.

Amen brother

Mari%20-%20gf
joined Apr 1, 2015

Land of the lost (yuri edition)

Tumblr_lxr5uv8e8n1qeoztuo1_500
joined Aug 13, 2018

She doesn't think it is normal, because she is the only girl that wasn't affected by miracle magic, so she still is straight and doesn't understand why everyone is suddenly openly gay. She has nothing against being gay, it just wasn't something she saw everyday from every angle, so what felt "normal" to her yesterday, suddenly is not normal anymore. Also challenging her perception of normal seems to be kinda the premise this manga as she is the only straight girl left in yuri paradise.

well, the thing is... it might be the translation, so it's hard to say for sure, but the way some of her internal monologue is worded makes it sound less like it's her who's not used to seeing gay people, and more like it's the author themselves who thinks that homosexuality is abnormal? stuff like

"I, Uruuno Marika, fall in love just like any normal person."
"To live normally. To fall in love normally. To have a normal wedding, build a normal family, and die a normal death."

these lines use 'normal' as a shorthand for 'straight', which... well, it's literally what heteronormativity is. but what makes it feel like it's coming from the author and not her is how it doesn't feel the need to specify that for her, 'falling in love normally' means 'falling in love with a boy'. it just... says it and expects the audience to be on the same page? which says a whole lot about where the author's coming from. and while we're at it...

Yep, nothing abnormal about a world made up entirely of lesbians. Nothing at all.

i thought that the way the classroom scene was presented made it pretty clear that 'there are more lesbians than usual' is not the reason she thought the situation was abnormal...

on top of that, the fact that she's the protagonist gives her 'normal' a greater weight than anyone else's. you might've heard of protagonist-centered morality, and this is a similar thing; so when she says "this isn't normal", unless the work goes out of its way challenges that (and it doesn't), we're implicitly expected to agree with her.

also "not having anything against gay people" really does not mean much at all, especially when one of her lines in the classroom ("There can't possibly be any abnormalities in my normal life") is awfully close to 'i'm ok with gay people, as long as they're not gay near me'

...don't get me wrong, i'm aware that this is just chapter 0, and that things could (and probably will) change as the series progresses. and it'd be great if i turned out to be wrong and this series ended up being social commentary that challenges conceptions of 'normal'! but i won't be surprised if that doesn't happen, since, as i said, the not-really-serious framing and paneling aren't pointing towards that being a thing the series is interested in doing.

I suppose it depends on what your definition of normal and abnormal are. Is being abnormal bad? Take genetic mutations like heterochromia for example. It’s safe to say that it isn’t normal, but does that mean it’s bad? Only 4.5% of adult Americans identity as lgbt, with over 95% of the country being heterosexual, is it really wrong to say being heterosexual is “the norm”? And then you have to take into consideration how Japanese society values uniformity. I don’t think it’s surprising that Japanese people would have a stronger sense of normalcy. As long as someone doesn’t start equating being abnormal or different as bad or wrong just simply for the fact that it’s different, I think it’s fine.

Screenshot_20180828-085722_1
joined Mar 21, 2016

404: Men Not Found out of nowhere?! wtf lolol
Im not gonna lie, I'd be sacred shitless too if I were marika xD

Lol
joined Jan 2, 2018

Reminds me of that "the world of moral reversal" manga

To reply you must either login or sign up.