joined Mar 29, 2013

yo what the fuck

Pixelavatar48
joined Mar 29, 2013

poor kyouko

Pixelavatar48
joined Mar 29, 2013

オムニバス is "omnibus"

What even is an omnibus? Also, is the art style not great? Love the coloured parts in contrast with the black and white.

omnibus is a word that just means a collection of many different examples of something. Someone might talk about a book as an "omnibus edition" that includes many different collected works (sometimes by the same author, or by different authors on the same topic). So in this case it basically just means that its a collection of stories but they used a fancy word for it.

Pixelavatar48
joined Mar 29, 2013

when you're having a normal one

mai
Earth Girls discussion 25 Dec 00:14
Pixelavatar48
joined Mar 29, 2013

It really seems like they're setting Katra up as the successor to Kidaha doesn't it? She has a similar "full of love but also totally useless" vibe

Pixelavatar48
joined Mar 29, 2013

It'll be interesting to see how it develops, but it does look right now like it's going towards yuri featuring a trans girl, which is super rare so I hope that's what we get.

(do y'all think library girl is the instagram friend?)

mai
Gaze discussion 14 Oct 20:39
Pixelavatar48
joined Mar 29, 2013

I read it twice and I'm still not sure what exactly happened

Pixelavatar48
joined Mar 29, 2013

This has the makings of a killer coming of age story. I'm actually more curious about Juri and why she went along with Nami's every whim, than about Nami and her obvious hang ups.

I would've thought that was obvious. She's gay.

mai
Mousou Envy discussion 09 Sep 00:27
Pixelavatar48
joined Mar 29, 2013

i dont feel good about this one

Pixelavatar48
joined Mar 29, 2013

It was weird to see the title of Winterreise actually translated (at the beginning), most English writers leave it in German (or maybe I've just been too far down academia hole, who knows).

I really liked the whole work, and the third chapter was very nice.

last edited at Sep 13, 2016 6:07PM

Pixelavatar48
joined Mar 29, 2013

gay witches are very important to me and i hope they raise their little baby satan up right

Pixelavatar48
joined Mar 29, 2013

What are you confused about? I thought the manga did a pretty good job of explaining everything in the end.

mai
Pixelavatar48
joined Mar 29, 2013

But at the same time I kind of like how it was told. I am able to detach the meaning from the story and look at the one part I liked, how it was told, and I am able to say I liked it. Maybe I'm completely wrong this story doesn't deserve to be liked in any shape or form, but I find myself enjoying it a little.

I can kinda see where you're coming from, but in my opinion there is literally nothing in this manga that Utena doesn't do a million times better, plus Utena is pretty solidly about getting the fuck out of abusive relationships/situations. It's so strange to me that the author of this manga obviously loved Utena enough to try and write exactly the same manga but also misread it seriously enough to turn it into abuse apologia.

mai
Pixelavatar48
joined Mar 29, 2013

Yeah sure, the ending doesn't make sense but I love it anyway :D I don't like the way the message is brought out but at the end of the day it's all about "walking a mile in someone else's shoe" or simply understanding the other side before getting all worked up.

The problem with this is that one side is a bunch of women who face institutionalized violence and the other side is a bunch of boys who are, for the most part, enthusiastic participants in and perpetuators of that violence, and are upset that they're made to feel bad for this. The truth is not always in the middle, and in this case especially it's a really troubling message to be sending. Combine that with the stuff about how it's all that one girl's fault (and the general way the princess is treated by the story in the last volume of the manga as not a victim but a clingy psychopath) and it ends up being really disturbing in several ways.

It's all good to forgive and forget but saying "hey victims you need to forgive your abusers because you're hurting their feelings by trying to escape from their abuse" is mega-not-ok

mai
Pixelavatar48
joined Mar 29, 2013

Hey this post is gonna have spoilers so if you've got a problem with that stop reading here.

Ok.

I found this manga legit disturbing re: the messages about misogynistic violence, and the way that in the last volume or so it entirely became about men's feelings and how terrible and unfair it was that men were being painted as villains for participating in (enthusiastically, in most cases) organized systematized violence against women.

It was obvious that the authors here were trying to do Utena but given the ending I can't help but feel that they pretty seriously misread their source material.