Forum › Gunjo discussion

Your_hair_has_gotten_longer_by_folksneedheroes-d5l5v69
joined Apr 23, 2015

And there it is! The finish line! What a piece! lived up to all its tags. Very interesting characters. Rough tale. And an ending that laves me actually rather hopeful in a way. thanks for translating team!

I wonder if I can listen to those songs mentioned on the second to last page . . .I think last time I tried I kept running into copy right take downs. >-<

last edited at Nov 7, 2018 7:29AM

Episode9-2
joined Mar 9, 2014

Really makes you glad those two met, even though it really would've been better if things had been way different... you can only be brutally honest in life, since there's nothing you can do to change certain things. And I loooved the ending, it wrapped everything up really well.

Tumblr_inline_oxf1gj0pl71rjsbp5_400
joined Jun 23, 2017

At least they connected, at least it didn't end in suicide pact and they even managed to find hope for afterwards. I wish she could have found hope.. A drama with an happy ending, that's pretty daring though.

Thank you for the translation!

joined Jun 12, 2015

8 years....

Soralaylaff
joined Oct 16, 2013

Even though the last few chaps really dragged a lot, I'm happy with the ending. I'm glad they turned themselves in, and that they didn't portray it as a sad event and it was more of a hopeful future outlook. Maybe I'll do a full reread later in the future.

Thanks for translating this series!

Bondage%20fairies%20collection%20%20%20%232%20-%20page%204
joined Dec 16, 2013

it's over!!!!

joined Jul 11, 2015

:")

Shithead
joined Oct 23, 2018

i hate this ending i hate this ending i hate this ending i hate this ending i hate this ending

it was so underwhelming. after all the pain. after killing off the BEST GIRL with the BEST PARENTS. i will forever be bitter at this manga

4dcd5e922a6b20d034126d7ff75583f91490791092_large
joined Jan 18, 2016

oh my god that ending
it wasnt what i expected, i dont really have a reaction
after years of depression reading this that was the ending..
welp im going to cry a puddle now
god bless you translation team

joined Jul 2, 2014

Oh my those "songs listened to"

joined Mar 28, 2019

Well that ended. I feel so bad for the girlfriend.

the two MCs were honestly unbearable people, don’t understand what one saw in the other, she is a lost cause who despises her still.

joined Mar 28, 2019

I remembered this today, and I hope it does update again sooner than later; I want to see the last body dragged from the wreckage.

Plus, I kind of wanted to recommend it by necro-ing the thread. It's a very interesting take on an intense, abusive, codependent relationship. It's a miserable love that's like a trap neither main character can really understand, or escape.

The art has its problems, but I rather like it for trying for this exaggerated realism rather than the more anime style that manga about homosexual relationships tends towards. I think it helps emphasize how squalid, how awful, how physical the world of this story can be.

The style seems intentional though. The art is consistent. I think the mangaka is going for a more retro artsy look more so than a moe and proportional style. I’d say to ignore the stereotype that says only clean, proportionate art is acceptable for manga.

I have a hunch that the artist was trained in action/thriller manga, moreso than drawing shoujo stuff. The style resembles a lot of the retro drawing techniques.

last edited at Apr 2, 2019 1:50PM

joined Mar 28, 2019

She knew that she should get out or else she'd drown...but why? How her hand let go of the bathtub left me puzzled...did she deliberately let go of the bathtub or was it the alcohol's fault? The last dialogue on the last panel makes me think that maybe she finally gave in to her demons at the very end and decided to end her life. It'a bit easier to accept that then that it was just an accident. Either way, this chapter left me almost in tears
It's kind of painful to read ;;;

She was very drunk, and on top of that, was very sleepy. Two of those don’t mix well ayy :( Only if she hadn’t taken a bath and just gone straight to sleep, she would have been ok. It seemed like she was dreaming about their past while sleeping. She was already asleep when slipping in and bubbling.

last edited at Apr 2, 2019 1:54PM

Madeleinedupris
joined Apr 8, 2019

Damn, I don’t care what anybody else says—the art style is hella amazing. I am hooked on this story so far. The way the characters think, interact, etc. are so fucking real and it’s so good. This is so painfully realistic.

And the brother and his wife are so fucking cool.

last edited at Apr 14, 2019 3:57AM

Madeleinedupris
joined Apr 8, 2019

How old was the girlfriend lol? They never showed her age at the ending credits. She seems to be much much older than the MC.

Also, the MC is unforgivable. She fooled around with her heart and caused her depression. Why must the good characters die bc of dumb main characters :/

last edited at Apr 14, 2019 2:06PM

What the fuck have I stumbled upon?

Sappaphaphappho
Mitsukieye
joined Apr 6, 2018

I think I'm dead now too. Fuck.

Smol%20dankkonata
joined Oct 10, 2018

Wow, that was good. The introspective tag never fails to lead me to good stories.

joined Mar 5, 2019

Wow, that was good. The introspective tag never fails to lead me to good stories.

Oh God, you made me remember the P A I N

joined Sep 13, 2018

the think most of the problems could have been solved if she just accepted the offer back in middle school , an apartment , money ,a rich girlfriend which was shown to be a complete cutie yet she chose the suffering path out of pride.
Reminds of that old movie about WW2 with the problem being solved if the kid just eated up his own pride and stayed in his aunt house saving his little sister's life.

last edited at Aug 29, 2020 11:04PM

Lomographic Colored Past
74ec91ae-b46c-44be-9b5e-7c40e1fb423d
joined Dec 29, 2016

It’s already complete wow. I never have high hopes for this manga, it’s f*cked up right from the start. It’s a fitting ending I guess.

SEQUEL: Orange Is The New Black

joined Jun 17, 2015
shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

"The film is based on Ching Nakamura's manga series Gunjō and is scheduled for a worldwide release by Netflix on April 15, 2021.
Ride or Die (2021 film)"

E1f7694b-042f-443d-a5cb-df7de61c8a40
joined Dec 29, 2013

I have heard about this a while back but I only read it now to prepare myself for the movie. Woah! I regret not reading this earlier but I guess it is better to read it in one go. I was hoping for that ending, I don’t want them dead. It will defeat the purpose of the murder.

To reply you must either login or sign up.