Forum › Free Soul discussion

Yuruyuripic3
joined Mar 12, 2014

I can't believe there isn't any comments on this. I really liked this story for what it was. The dialog was just great, but I kept getting so annoyed with Keito.

joined Apr 22, 2014

It really is great! I skipped it back when I was religiously reading everything Lililicious put out, because I didn't feel like a long, heavy series at the time. But now it popped up as a random chapter here and I couldn't stop reading.

Dynav
joined Aug 6, 2013

So Niki got over finding her dad by finding him, and then fucking him? Someone explain to me how that's not weird. I like this manga, but that little detail is insurmountable to me - it's just too bizarre.

X
joined Feb 8, 2014

Wow, I really like this series. I really like how the author wrote about an African American, even if it was a story within a story. I wonder if Angie's story was originally in Japanese as well.

So Niki got over finding her dad by finding him, and then fucking him? Someone explain to me how that's not weird. I like this manga, but that little detail is insurmountable to me - it's just too bizarre.

I totally agree with you. But I am totally biased. I don't mind reading mangas with sister incest. But all other incest grosses me out. And if I had a sister, I would be grossed out even thinking about an incestrial relationship. Lol, but I don't feel bad about my bias as it is only in manga.

last edited at Sep 28, 2014 5:58PM

joined Sep 13, 2014

Wow, I really like this series. I really like how the author wrote about an African American, even if it was a story within a story. I wonder if Angie's story was originally in Japanese as well.

I totally agree with you. But I am totally biased. I don't mind reading mangas with sister incest. But all other incest grosses me out. And if I had a sister, I would be grossed out even thinking about an incestrial relationship. Lol, but I don't feel bad about my bias as it is only in manga.

Her dad should have rejected her instead of sleeping with her. That's just off.

Anyway, I like how Free Soul was written.

Motoko.edited.1
joined May 2, 2014

as far as the father-daughter incest goes i would say keep an open mind. it isn't all that surprising that she wanted to sleep with her father, in fact i would say it is just about as likely as not sleeping with her father given her situation.

think about it, your entire life will forever be affected by your parents! (or lack of them).
if one of them is not there or treats you badly it will completely change you as a person. niki had an emptiness in her life because her father left her and we know that in order to make up for that she was promiscuous and tried to fill the hole in her heart with sex from a lot of different people. i personally haven't known anyone that slept with their parents (or they never told me outright at least) but i do know a ton of normal people (that grew up in problem households, or just had issues with their parents, or heck, even situations where it didn't at all seem like they had problems with their parents) who actively seek out partners that are scarily similar to their parents.

she never knew her father, she pursued his career in an effort to get closer to him, and after having sex with him numerous times she was finally able to get over him. i don't see why this is so unbelievable??

i would also like to point out that peoples personal aversions to certain types of relationships (same sex, incest, etc) often stem from either unresolved feelings on their own part, or too strong a projection of their personality onto the characters combined with a lack of "walk a day in my shoes" attitude (aka empathy).

beautiful manga, i wish there was more of this artist scanlated

i would also like to point out that we are never really told if niki's father knew who she was when she was with him, we know that he wanted to meet her and that she went to find him right after that, but we don't know if she actually revealed her identity upon meeting him, so that could go either way. though honestly it wouldn't change my opinion about the story or anything i discussed above

last edited at Jan 8, 2015 7:25PM

2x2-shinobuden-m001
joined Dec 14, 2014

A real masterpiece: good writing, storytelling, arrangements of panels and believable characters. Don't be deterred by its length, you'll be wishing it had a few more pages once you're reaching the end.

The main theme seems to be acceptance, of ourselves, the circumstances we live in, our struggles to change them and whether or not we can accept other people with their baggage and what that made them do to us.

I wasn't expecting to be treated to a happy ending, but I was really surprised that they could make amends, Niki emancipating herself from her longing for her father's love and Keito being able to accept her even after what the thought was their last goodbye and the incest revelation. How many people would have rejected Niki for that? I like that kind of existential narration

joined Sep 11, 2014

I really enjoyed reading this. A nice break from all the school-girl-love-drama

last edited at Apr 25, 2015 10:03AM

Optimized-tonari_no_robot
joined Aug 24, 2015

I was surprised we got a happy ending, but it ended working out better than I imagined it would? Getting away from niki gave keito the opportunity to do some very necessary introspection and she grew from it and was finally able to come to terms with her feelings about her relationship with niki. Sure, she was lonely, but she was able to channel her loneliness and use it rather than wallow in it. Which was damn refreshing to read, I'll say. And I'd say that this story too, accomplishes what the referenced in-story novel was able to do - remind us that loneliness is inevitable, but that it doesn't have to be depressing.

And I think the reason why the ending worked was because keito had ultimately given up on niki. She was finally able to figure out her feelings and embrace their relationship as a good experience, the happiness in tandem with the lonliness. She no longer had any regrets over their relationship, so when niki returned it wasn't a toxic reunion. Especially since niki had gone on her own self-realizing journey when she was away.

Overall, gosh! What an excellent story. I don't know why it took me so long to get to this one.

last edited at Nov 24, 2015 4:10AM

American_virgin
joined May 25, 2014

as far as the father-daughter incest goes i would say keep an open mind. it isn't all that surprising that she wanted to sleep with her father, in fact i would say it is just about as likely as not sleeping with her father given her situation.

think about it, your entire life will forever be affected by your parents! (or lack of them).
if one of them is not there or treats you badly it will completely change you as a person. niki had an emptiness in her life because her father left her and we know that in order to make up for that she was promiscuous and tried to fill the hole in her heart with sex from a lot of different people. i personally haven't known anyone that slept with their parents (or they never told me outright at least) but i do know a ton of normal people (that grew up in problem households, or just had issues with their parents, or heck, even situations where it didn't at all seem like they had problems with their parents) who actively seek out partners that are scarily similar to their parents.

she never knew her father, she pursued his career in an effort to get closer to him, and after having sex with him numerous times she was finally able to get over him. i don't see why this is so unbelievable??

i would also like to point out that peoples personal aversions to certain types of relationships (same sex, incest, etc) often stem from either unresolved feelings on their own part, or too strong a projection of their personality onto the characters combined with a lack of "walk a day in my shoes" attitude (aka empathy).

beautiful manga, i wish there was more of this artist scanlated

i would also like to point out that we are never really told if niki's father knew who she was when she was with him, we know that he wanted to meet her and that she went to find him right after that, but we don't know if she actually revealed her identity upon meeting him, so that could go either way. though honestly it wouldn't change my opinion about the story or anything i discussed above

Most people feel an aversion to incest, it's very common to feel that way, and is due to the Westermarck effect, where early childhood proximity results in sexual aversion between people. That being said, it's fictional and not the focus of the story (it's only mentioned in passing), so I could enjoy the story by pushing past my discomfort.

Niki is a very flawed love interest, which makes the manga more realistic. Someone falling in love with a perfect person isn't very interesting, and never happens in real life.

Regarding if her dad knew she was his daughter at the time or not: she tells Keito that she's going to Germany because her dad invited her, so I assume she didn't just pretend to be a random fan (since she was replying to his invitation).

last edited at Sep 17, 2016 12:31PM

joined Dec 19, 2016

Ok, I personally like when incest happens because I find it an interesting taboo to cover, but why exactly did Niki want to fuck her father? I was a tad confused on that reasoning.

Lyletheagendered
joined Oct 23, 2016

I'll be honest, I didn't know if I wanted to read this, like it seemed good, but I still wasn't sure. The thing that made me decide to read is that is says the word "smitten" in the description. But the story was pretty good, I'm glad I decided to read it after all.

La Aoi Beau Chico
Boy%20blue
joined Oct 9, 2016

The story was really well written. Reason so was because it wasn't your typical yuri of school girls having sex, flipping panties and whatnot. This was real feelings, from a real person. But I think what really got me was that the author had a second persona, a black girl to be exact. And she utilized the black girl in a non-degrading way which was very intriguing and remarkably pleasing. The story to an extent is like you're watching her memories and the feelings she had experienced. It literally tears down the walls that love is this simple concept that always has a happy ending and no hardships. Truly remarkable... truly.

DR2 Hajime Hinata
Image_2023-07-05_193410907
joined Jul 20, 2016

Definitely my thinking also

Screen%20shot%202017-11-22%20at%201.04.04%20pm
joined Nov 18, 2017

Not gonna lie, the trumpets caught me off guard. The Bikini didn’t help either. That was a strange concert.

Dio
joined Apr 4, 2018

"non-moe art"
Bess this tag

joined Oct 8, 2018

The incest part is a big turn off. There a problem with not having enough parents love. But as an adult fcking her dad and her dad wants to fck her is so wrong. I do believe her dad knows who she was. He had been writing to her. I wonder why her parents got divorced. Maybe her mum saw the sick act, and are trying to protect her daughter by divorcing.

Smol%20dankkonata
joined Oct 10, 2018

Found this on the random chapter from the homepage, it was surely interesting. Niki's incest thing was weird as hell but otherwise it was a very interesting realistic slice-of-life type story.

20210429_051959
joined May 18, 2021

This is such a pretty story....

To reply you must either login or sign up.