Forum › We Can't Draw Love discussion

joined Sep 6, 2018

Otokoyaku? Whut’s Dat? Someone clue me in, please?

Non-messed%20up%20face
joined Jan 18, 2016

I assumed that the cliffhanger was the guy being gay, but the neck thing really blew my mind. Pretty sure it's gonna turn out they''re a woman.

690ea2d43c833a395aa79e98116d8d2f
joined Apr 15, 2018

Ok that Sui guy is a girl

2641afdd-9dc4-4327-a1c3-a5b558c33522
joined Mar 12, 2014

Ooooooooooooo that last page

Ooooooooooooo

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

I feel like I've been a little misunderstood here. Again, I'm only a little disappointed. I know this is all speculation, and honestly? I'm only disappointed because I've had some pretty good experiences when it comes to transgender issues on Dynasty. If this were some other manga site, I wouldn't be at all surprised. Hell, on some sites, I'd honestly expect far worse.

And also, yeah, that's statistically more likely... but it'd also totally ruin it for me even worse than when I just thought it was kinda boring. I won't get into the actually transphobic implications of the trope because I'm not nearly good enough at explaining things like that, but needless to say, I'd be hurt if it did go down that road. Not hurt enough that I'd call the author a bad person or anything, but hurt enough to be like, "Oh, come on, seriously?".

In retrospect, I was probably more concerned about that possibility than about people speculating about the possibility and took it out on the wrong target, and for THAT, I apologize. Although, I will say that the "backhanded-ness" was completely unintentional- what I was TRYING to do was voice that I was discontent, but not SUPER discontent. And honestly, one of the only reasons I even DID post it is because I've had no spine for most of my life and I'm trying to force myself to just be a LITTLE bit more reckless. The consequence of that is sometimes making myself look silly, but I've decided I'm willing to live with that if it means not taking five days to decide to do literally everything in life.

(PS: Assuming you ARE the BugDevil I'm thinking of (I mean, same username, an interest in yuri, and a Neptunia icon definitely indicate that), I like your NepNowa fics. You're, like, one of the six people I follow on FFN.)

It just feels like there was no Trans issue in this manga or discussion until you brought it up. So it's more or less an issue you created in this context (no I'm not saying transphobia and all that stuff doesn't exist, it's a very real issue). Even if you are trying to be as "understanding" about it as possible, you still came off as acting like people need to be thinking about transgender at all when there is no sufficient evidence. To make it clear, there is no problem with you wanting or hoping for that one character to be trans, I would just really appreciate it if you didn't act like everyone is being insensitive here for not thinking the same way.

You probably know this, but it's better not to feel hurt by the obvious, because of false expectations (only if you turn out to be wrong of course). Especially around here people know to take disappointment in stride (just look at all the yuri-bait out there... sigh).

I see. There is nothing wrong with trying to be more outgoing. I suppose that I'm blowing this out of proportion as well. Sometimes certain phrasing just makes me raise a brow haha

Uh.. uhm... yeah, that's me. I use the same username pretty much everywhere. So there are downsides to it after all...

Etult87ueaawqbz_%20(2)
joined Oct 15, 2016

I think that Sui is acting like a guy cuz she likes girls and feels the need to do that in order to not get "weird" looks from people. You know, cuz Japan is still a little bit behind accepting these type of relationships. That or he's one of those "tomgirl" boys that sometimes appear on shoujo manga and likes his brother or some other guy.

Don't think we're going to get some trans issues on a manga about two girls drawing shoujo manga, but hey, i'll be pleasantly surprised if we do.

Icon%20(4)
joined Jan 20, 2014

I think that Sui is acting like a guy cuz she likes girls and feels the need to do that in order to not get "weird" looks from people.

This is what I think too!

White%20rose%20index
joined Aug 16, 2018

Good call there. I hadn't noticed it at all. You're absolutely right: when Ren and Sui are standing next to each other, the author makes a point of drawing Ren with a very visible Adam's apple on his neck, while Sui has nothing. I was persuaded that Sui was gay, but, now that you pointed out that thing with their Adam's apples, it's clear that "he" will turn out to be a "she" who happens to be a natural otokoyaku.

Yeah, and judging by what she says in the last panel it's pretty much a given that she's into women. She's a lesbian who crossdresses, the better to seduce the gurlz.

My question at this point is: what was Murata thinking, bringing a woman to a mixer as one of the guys? Don't tell me he doesn't know that his friend Ren's one sibling is not a brother but a sister?

IMHO he had no idea, cuz Ren never told him that Sui's a girl. Sui seems to have adopted a "male role" in life, she prolly wants to live her life as a boy, so she must have told Ren to keep it a secret that she's f.

Otokoyaku? Whut’s Dat? Someone clue me in, please?

Women who play male parts in Takarazuka Revue are referred to as otokoyaku. If you never heard of that before, try here for info:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Takarazuka_Revue

DR2 Hajime Hinata
Image_2023-07-05_193410907
joined Jul 20, 2016

Yikes I was so distracted with the first part of the last page I didn't almost didn't see the bottom part, does this mean she ends up with Sui instead? Or will Sui be a good friend and give her the push she needs?

EDIT: It says it would change her relationship with Miyuu-san so I'm guessing Sui will just give her the push she needs

last edited at Sep 25, 2018 1:36AM

B25e08d9df956cc70b30a6cce4e9e9cb
joined Aug 27, 2013

I looked more closely at that Sui guy's neck, in the recent chapter and in the last one too. It seems that he doesn't really have Adam's apple compared to his brother, for example, and this difference is always showed forced, as if author wants us to notice it. Strange... I feel that she's a woman.

Welp, my guess was right.

Etult87ueaawqbz_%20(2)
joined Oct 15, 2016

Well, it looks like our predictions were right on the money. Sui was a girl that wears guy clothes for some ulterior motive.

Untitle435ed34qwrqwd
joined May 15, 2014

im still amazed that 1) the guys came across as normal people and not some douches 2) very little romantic tension between them. so far it seems the author had some restraint.

Pikachuwhat
joined Mar 13, 2014

Ooooh there's the classic misunderstanding.

Mask
joined Jan 6, 2015

Rut-roh! Plot! Getting pretty interesting.

Haha what a coincidence! When I looked at the first page of the latest chapter I thought "he" was supposed to be a tom girl 'cuz I've forgotten it's the manga I just read the other day(meaning everyone thought he was a boy before)

joined Jun 30, 2016

Yep I knew it.

Img_8812564559060
joined Oct 6, 2015

Hmmmmmm

Eat%20ass
joined Aug 18, 2015

Can't help but feel a tiny bit disappointed. It was the most likely way for this to go, but I would have been more interested if her secret was more significant than "I'm a girl". Oh well, maybe the extra bit she isn't revealing will be something important.

Also, hello there Simple-Misunderstanding-That-Would-Be-Fixed-By-Just-Talking.™ It's been a while since I last saw you around here!

...I wonder how long it'll be til it gets resolved. The manga has been playing it pretty safe so far, so I'd guess somewhere around 9 or 10 chapters.

Pee
joined Oct 1, 2014

Y'ALL LESBIANS, GIVE ME A BREAK!
Now she is jealous of a guy who isn't a guy (IT'S A GIRL) and she doens't understand her feelings... And she will think for sure that both of them are going out now.
JESUS, WHY?

...Jokes, I actually liked how this plot was set.
Having a tomboy girl as a friend and accepting both of their strong feelings that people call "strange" together.
And a jealous stupid lesbian that doesn't realize her feelings for her childhood friend THAT LOVES HER.
Bring me more, I'm looking for it.

Pee
joined Oct 1, 2014

Untitled
joined Dec 16, 2014

I... kinda don't want to get into a dangerous discussion.
Otherwise, the chapter was kinda nice. I wonder what's coming next.

I have to ask... where is your profile picture from??

joined Aug 22, 2016

Can't help but feel a tiny bit disappointed. It was the most likely way for this to go, but I would have been more interested if her secret was more significant than "I'm a girl". Oh well, maybe the extra bit she isn't revealing will be something important.

Also, hello there Simple-Misunderstanding-That-Would-Be-Fixed-By-Just-Talking.™ It's been a while since I last saw you around here!

...I wonder how long it'll be til it gets resolved. The manga has been playing it pretty safe so far, so I'd guess somewhere around 9 or 10 chapters.

It is true that often times misunderstandings are perpetuated or "milked" for sake of drawing out a story, but often times in real life misunderstandings continue due to miscommunication or complete lack of communication. That said, the misunderstanding quite literally just happened in the story while incorporating a cliff hanger no less. Due to this, we can assume but not say with certainty that the characters won't talk this through.

The significance isn't just that he's actually a she, but also that she feels that she can not be the girl she sees herself as due to social pressures and self perception of personal image. And that has not only significant importance to but significant impact on the character herself and on others. The misunderstanding in the story, as can at least be believed at the moment, is the potential that Miuu believes Kano is being receptive to a boys feelings. After all, both left during the middle of a mixer only to be found having an enjoyable conversation that involves physical contact. Touching a girl's hair is a big deal, especially in Japan.

last edited at Oct 10, 2018 9:34PM

Just a goddess with her guardian
Picsart_05-18-01.21.06
joined May 9, 2017

Hm....is she like...with her brother?

52722-l
joined Nov 8, 2017

So is this a Girl Friends situation where the protagonist's crush falls back in love with her and gets jealous seeing her with someone else?

A8655427-a1fe-40eb-9c2f-10bb35cb2487
joined Aug 26, 2018

GO GET YOUR GIRL, BLONDIE. And I still think that girl wants to bone her brother

To reply you must either login or sign up.