Forum › Happy Sugar Life discussion

A8655427-a1fe-40eb-9c2f-10bb35cb2487
joined Aug 26, 2018

That ending confused me... can anybody explain it to me?

I believe it's mostly open, you may interpret it as Satou reincarnating in Shio and the two being together forever that way, or Shio having so much psychological damage that she becomes someone that heavily resembles Satou. Probably there are other better interpretations, I'm not sure what was the most apparent interpretation that the writer was going for.

I like your interpretations. I think it’s a bit of both, Shio receiving psychological damage because her beloved died and adopting Satou’s personality as a result. In that sense, Satou is reborn and lives forever within Shio. Other than that, I doubt Satou actually reincarnates in Shio since this isn’t a supernatural series.

--itou-chika-and-matsuoka-miu-ichigo-mashimaro-drawn-by-shinjiro--sample
joined Jan 1, 2014

Just watched the last episode and I’m crying, my baby girl Satou sniffles I feel my heart shattering, Satou deserves happiness the most. That scene as they fall and Satou thinks of all the possibilities if they didn’t die really got to me. I think that’s one reason why she protected Shio right before impact, so Shio can live on for the both of them and experience those possibilities. For Shio to feel warmth and happiness, just like Satou did.
I hope the manga ends differently with Satou and Shio actually being together :’( Would be nice too if Asahi and Taiyou didn’t walk off unharmed (physically). Nonetheless, best girl still won and Asahi lost muahaha

Ps only the Aunt could make me burst out laughing while crying. “Matsuzaka’s Aunt is a suspect in the crime” Auntie comes on the TV with a big smile “Yes! It was me!”

Aunty got excited thinking of all the love she'll spread in prison

She was also the only character, in the whole show, to get an happy ending, that has to be close to a record

That ending confused me... can anybody explain it to me?

I believe it's mostly open, you may interpret it as Satou reincarnating in Shio and the two being together forever that way, or Shio having so much psychological damage that she becomes someone that heavily resembles Satou. Probably there are other better interpretations, I'm not sure what was the most apparent interpretation that the writer was going for.

I like your interpretations. I think it’s a bit of both, Shio receiving psychological damage because her beloved died and adopting Satou’s personality as a result. In that sense, Satou is reborn and lives forever within Shio. Other than that, I doubt Satou actually reincarnates in Shio since this isn’t a supernatural series.

My bet is on it being supernatural, maybe Aunty is the fairy of love. It would explain so much.

last edited at Sep 29, 2018 8:23AM

joined Aug 29, 2015

I could still remember the time when everyone hated the idea of Happy Sugar Life being adapted into an anime, but as I can see the anime adaptation turns out to be better than everyone expected it to be.

But Damn it, Am I the only who expected Satou and Shio would have successfully escaped and lived a new life? Season 2 could have Satou tries her hardest to maintain Shio's innocence and purity as she grows up but in the end fails miserably which ultimately leads to Shio rebelling against Satou.

The finale was bittersweet, As Satou falls down to her death while imagining what kind of life, she and Shio would have if they live, she finally realize what love really is. Shio however will forever be bound with her memories of Satou leaving unrepairable psychological damage to her for the rest of her life.

I can't believe that a psychological horror story could hit you with the feels. Geez, even in the end Shouko was the one who stop Satou from her craziness of keeping Shio locked away forever.

last edited at Sep 29, 2018 10:11PM

joined Feb 15, 2013

Hopefully the manga ends differently since the anime rushed so badly through all of the manga events in last 3 episodes. Backstory of Yuuna is massive. Satou's flashback on her life previous to Shio is massive. Where is all of my aunty (best girl!!) moments? The driving license sparking gold? And all of her interaction with Mitsuboshi? Where is my 'Oniichan'???

Adaptation aside, the ending was only acceptable, but feel really vague and lacking. Which honestly kinda understandable since anime is a more mainstream medium, and have a murderer run free may not be the best optic (I feel that's why they ended up having most of the crazy characters getting arrested/ house arrested, and tone down Asahi's insanity level).

The manga ending better not bury-my-gay on us. Kinda afraid it will though

last edited at Sep 30, 2018 3:56AM

joined May 24, 2014

The manga ending better not bury-my-gay on us. Kinda afraid it will though

Yeeeeah, with satou being fucked up in the head I don't think it can't end any other way

schuyguy Uploader
Imura%20ei%20music%20concert%20face
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

Overall I think the anime turned out way better than I had hoped. They somehow managed to fit most of the manga up-to-date without feeling excessively rushed (they cut a lot from the last few episodes but the story still held together).

My guess is that the manga will end the same, in broad strokes if not the particulars. I don't think any ending where Satou escapes punishment would fit. Maybe, death, imprisonment, or having Shio taken away from her. As Satou herself says early on, when there is sin, there must be punishment. This story, with its extreme plot, its variety of twisted, but simple characters, and its deliberate repetition of key phrases and scenes, sometimes feels like a fable or fairy tale. "The Story of the Girl Who Could Not Love" or something.

And the thing about fables is that they always have a lesson for the audience.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Aw, c’mon guys—all Satou has to do is make a clean getaway from multiple murders with the authorities and several obsessives on their trail, lay low somewhere for about a freaking decade while Shio grows up, then come out as a same-sex age-gap couple with new identities and live happily ever after.

What could possibly go wrong?

joined Feb 15, 2013

I could think of many good endings for Satou, where her crime can be forgiven

Reincarnation is one. Regardless whether both died or only Satou do. Having a grown-up (empty jar) Shio stumble upon a disbanded reincarnated loli Satou could finish the cycle of their love.

Amnesia works similarly the same way, where Satou lost memories of her past life, except for her eternal love toward Shio. Maybe the two was separated and then somehow walked pass and united with each other on the side road.

A darker twisted ending. Imaging after the apartment fire, the scene changed to us seeing someone who looked like Satou's aunt sitting inside a dark room. Then the sounds of key drops and a couple of knocks on the apartment door. The Satou's aunt-look-a-like quickly rush out toward the door where a grown-up Shio was there just came back from her part-time job. Basically Satou was seriously injured and handicapped due to the apartment fire, and she spent the rest of her life confined in an apartment the same way her aunt was. Except this time, she is the one who stay home waiting patiently everyday for Shio to come back from her work (which once again finish the manga where it starts).

Ultimate happy ending will however be the parallel universe route. As Satou fell down from the apartment rooftop, another Satou in alternative universe waked up in the middle of her class after school. Next to her was her best friend Shouko, her male friend Mitsuboshi, and the new transferred student Asahi. On the way home, Satou meet the shy kouhai Shu, and then her cheerful aunt who told her that they have a new neighbor starting today, which is then revealed to be Yuuna and Shio.

Having Satou possessing Shio in the anime is a decent option. But we honestly don't know how it would end ultimately. Does it mean Shio is already whole and she never need to love anyone anymore? That's what the anime hinted at, right? (Considering that's what happened when Satou said the same line). Or was it Satou who finally got the ultimate happy ending as she and Shio basically merged

last edited at Oct 1, 2018 10:41AM

Img_20150911_005715
joined Sep 10, 2015

I still don't have the courage to watch this nor read till the end. My heart can't handle all these sad stuff going on. T.T (not even reading the comments). I'll read it when I'm very very very happy just to balance it( I doubt that day will come tho) lol I'll just remember how cute this was when I first read it, I mean all the SatouxShio cute scenes.

joined May 24, 2014

I still don't have the courage to watch this nor read till the end. My heart can't handle all these sad stuff going on.

BUT THOU MUST! Remember it's WONDERFUL world of dread outhere!

schuyguy Uploader
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

I still don't have the courage to watch this nor read till the end. My heart can't handle all these sad stuff going on.

I have to admit that there were several chapters where I opened up to the first page, saw what was there, then closed it and put it away for quite a long time. This in particular near broke my heart, even though I knew it was coming.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I have to admit that there were several chapters where I opened up to the first page, saw what was there, then closed it and put it away for quite a long time. This in particular near broke my heart, even though I knew it was coming.

Me three—I got a few chapters into this and didn’t look at it again for maybe a year. Once I eventually realized there was never going to be a turn toward the light, and I didn’t have to worry about an emotional rollercoaster ride of my hopes being raised and then dashed, I’ve been able to read it as a kind of bleak (very, very bleak) and twisted comedy. (It may have been the aunt that made me think, “Ah, what the hell, let’s just go with it.”)

joined May 24, 2014

This in particular near broke my heart, even though I knew it was coming.

Hah! Are you serious?!

schuyguy Uploader
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

This in particular near broke my heart, even though I knew it was coming.

Hah! Are you serious?!

Yeah. The idea of this poor stupid girl getting pregnant from being raped is really sad. Especially since we know what happens to her....

joined May 24, 2014

Yeah. The idea of this poor stupid girl getting pregnant from being raped is really sad. Especially since we know what happens to her....

Well it was so over the top it was almost hilarious, like that emergence manga.

Yeah!

Maybe, that's why the anime skipped over her plot.

last edited at Oct 2, 2018 4:27PM

schuyguy Uploader
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

Well it was so over the top it was almost hilarious, like that emergence manga.

Well, yeah, it had all the subtlety of a bat to the face. But I just wasn't in the mood to read about her awful parents abandoning her after she got raped, no matter how ridiculous the presentation.

risingstar3110
joined Feb 15, 2013

Well, yeah, it had all the subtlety of a bat to the face. But I just wasn't in the mood to read about her awful parents abandoning her after she got raped, no matter how ridiculous the presentation.

Maybe that's why they have to cut it from the anime, because the anime is a more mainstream media and that gonna hit too close too home. I mean yandere girl who stab people is the eyes are way worse, but it's much less realistic. Single mother from rape being abandoned by parents, turned into abusive murderer may stir some massive complaints

In the same way, I have hope for the manga that its ending gonna be different to the anime. Considering that the anime goes so generic mainstream conclusion with the yandere girl died, the pedo guy gone crazy, the crazy aunt and the predator teacher got arrested. The manga however can go much more unorthodox. Finger-crossed a Satou x Shio ending is still on the card

last edited at Oct 3, 2018 1:21AM

Shithead
joined Oct 23, 2018

this better not end like the anime. they better actually make it out and live their best life. i refuse to believe the anime ending actually happened. that shit was WHACK.

joined Jan 6, 2017

this better not end like the anime. they better actually make it out and live their best life. i refuse to believe the anime ending actually happened. that shit was WHACK.

This is the point where you start screaming internally.

57e011396781cdc3308f5aefac880571
joined Feb 19, 2016

tfw when they're heading towards the anime ending.

Oh well this series was too good to be true anyways. I still love it, just not as much as before.

Pikachuwhat
joined Mar 13, 2014

Those damn eyes.

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

A chapter about friendship. How nice.

Satou is a horrible friend.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

So many flags.

Shawn posted:

But a true yandere.

last edited at Nov 12, 2018 12:41PM

joined May 24, 2014

She warned her, it's her own godarmend fault for not listening.

To reply you must either login or sign up.