Forum › 2DK, G-pen, Alarm clock discussion

Nishiki%20gosu%20rori%20dark%20hair%20sm
joined Jan 11, 2015

@Goggled Anon & ergzay
I'll think about it, but the point I was trying to get across is that she very much speaks non-standard Japanese, lol. The problem with English is that it's very difficult to convey dialects/accents through text, which is why I settled for one of the few dialects that are easy to convey. If there are more requests for it, I can drop the accent, of course, but it always hurts me when so much is lost in translation.

Stardusttelepath8
joined Oct 15, 2014

Is there any possibility on lightening up on the weird english? Perhaps its easier to read for UK English people but this was really hard to read from an American English speaker. How do you even pronounce "didnae"/"dinnae" and what's it mean?

It's a Scottish dialect that's almost indecipherable even to regular Brits. I'm guessing the original involves a Kansai dialect which you usually translate with either a Southern American accent or, as was done last chapter, with informal speech, but usually only if someone in the story draws attention to it.

Btw dinnae is "don't" and didnae is "didn't".

joined Dec 28, 2016

Btw dinnae is "don't" and didnae is "didn't".

Thanks... As an American I've only heard Scottish accent once or twice and I've NEVER seen it written. I think there's going to get a lot more complaints when the US starts waking up... (6AM east coast 3 AM west coast at the moment)

Img-20190201-wa0005
joined Sep 21, 2015

That dialect is annoying 'cause I don't know enough English to understand all of it xD, I wish she just used it when she snapped like in last chapter.

joined Jan 11, 2015

It's a Hakata accent, as I mentioned in my TL note. The Hakata accent uses considerably different grammar/conjugations compared to Tokyo/standard Japanese, and can be hard to understand if you aren't familiar with it, thus the choice of mild Scots. There is another character that's introduced later, who speaks in a Kansai accent, which I had indeed planned to use a southern US accent for.

Edit: For anyone unfamiliar with how the accent sounds out loud: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SX8QPDjwRyw

last edited at Jun 19, 2018 6:20AM

Capture%20_2018-03-05-21-59-51~2_resized
joined Apr 28, 2016

If Kansai is still southern US then I feel like Hakata should be a southeastern or midwestern US accent.

Or you can keep Hakata as Scottish, and make Kansai a cockney accent.

last edited at Jun 19, 2018 6:56AM

joined Jun 3, 2017

Wtf with this translation

joined Jan 11, 2015

I'm wondering if everyone missed the bloody TL note... OTL

joined Dec 28, 2016

I saw the TL note, but it doesn't help if I can't read it....

Capture%20_2018-03-05-21-59-51~2_resized
joined Apr 28, 2016

Also curious how Nanami's accent drift will work out.

joined Jan 11, 2015

It appears I underestimated the impact of changing a single verb... D:

Incidentally, my translation is less different from American English than her Japanese is from Standard Japanese. :/

last edited at Jun 19, 2018 6:59AM

joined Dec 28, 2016

It appears I underestimated the impact of changing a single verb... D:

Incidentally, my translation is less different from American English than her Japanese is from Standard Japanese. :/

I mean I was able to muddle through by just guessing what the word meaning was, but it definitely breaks up the reading flow. (Like I'd stop and say it out loud and try to guess what the original English word was and then translate it.)

last edited at Jun 19, 2018 7:05AM

joined Jan 11, 2015

I understand the confusion, but the entire point in using non-standard English is that she speaks non-standard Japanese, which is hard to understand if you aren't familiar with it (Edit: by comparison, a southern US accent isn't hard for anyone to understand). I suppose it's a question of ease of reading vs translation/tone accuracy.

As much as it pains me to ignore a —in my opinion— defining part of Nanami's character, I might make a strawpoll later, and see which people prefer.

last edited at Jun 19, 2018 7:14AM

joined Sep 12, 2014

With someone who is not a naive English speaker, I'm really confuse and have to try to guess what she is saying. That's painful.

last edited at Jun 19, 2018 7:39AM

Stardusttelepath8
joined Oct 15, 2014

As much as it pains me to ignore a —in my opinion— defining part of Nanami's character, I might make a strawpoll later, and see which people prefer.

Best to stick to American dialects. British accents (and Irish for that matter) are minefield you don't wanna cross.

joined Jan 11, 2015

@Goggled Anon
But the "problem", if you can call it that, is that American dialects aren't hard to understand, and thus wouldn't properly convey Nanami's dialect.

Compared to other regions and languages, the regional/dialectal differences in North American English are extremely small, especially relative to the geographical size of NA.

last edited at Jun 19, 2018 7:32AM

Tumblr_inline_oxf1gj0pl71rjsbp5_400
joined Jun 23, 2017

Please keep the scottish accent, it's nice to see something else than american english once in a while.

And it'll be good for them to be in other people's shoes 8-°

last edited at Jun 19, 2018 7:50AM

20180327_165604
joined Nov 9, 2017

I think keeping the Scottish would be a very bad decision. The disagreement seems to mostly be one side saying they simply prefer the Scottish vs another side that can hardly read it because English isn't their native language. At the end of the day, it's free so do whatever, but the disappointment from people who like the Scottish accent if you change it is likely nothing compared to the disappointment from those might not be able to get through it.

last edited at Jun 19, 2018 8:01AM

Untitled-1
joined Jun 11, 2013

can we have normal translation version?

Tumblr_inline_oxf1gj0pl71rjsbp5_400
joined Jun 23, 2017

It's not really that complicated to guess the sense in context and a quick google search should be enough to clear all doubts aboot the meaning. It's not like it's a complete different language!

joined Jun 12, 2015

Update. Well, since I know what happens next, I will pass. Too much het in this manga. And I hate Aoi.

last edited at Jun 19, 2018 8:09AM

D.va_avatar
joined May 3, 2017

American reporting in I found her accent perfectly understandable didn't know it was a Scots accent tho

last edited at Jun 19, 2018 8:08AM

Stardusttelepath8
joined Oct 15, 2014

For me, it's less about being able to understand than it is being able to read this seriously without reading it like the Scotsman from Samurai Jack.

Psyduck
joined Jun 17, 2015

You should drop the accent, it's a bit ridiculous to see "me laddies". Honestly I'm seeing it as pirate talk lol

Duke
joined Jul 29, 2017

I'm sorry, but as amusing as it is, the Scottish juat feels too weird and out of place here.

To reply you must either login or sign up.