Forum › 2DK, G-pen, Alarm clock discussion

Keepallyourgifsinabasket
joined Aug 17, 2013

Can that really be called yuri? It was nice and all, but it seems more like a 'super friends' kind of deal.

It's only chapter 1, it's running in a yuri magazine, and there's already been an overt suggestion that she's a lesbian with an incident in her past.

Deleted my comment because I didn't see it's a series, sorry.

American_virgin
joined May 25, 2014

likely-straight best friend

I thought in this case the manga artist was the likely-straight one?

The manga artist seems like the type who has no interest in romance or anything outside of work or creature comforts. The OL at least seemed to be into her boyfriend somewhat. Granted she didn't share his unambitious life-plan and wanted to take her career to Tokyo). I don't know. The friendship is not interesting and currently isn't romantic, and if it becomes romantic, it seems like it'd be one that's kind of unhealthy (one person doing it all, and the other skating by without a care).

I kind of prefer my adults in fiction to have some semblance of self-awareness, and the girl with the fiance either isn't gay, isn't attracted to her roommate, or is so self-unaware, she can be living with a romantic interest and not be aware of it.

I guess in my old age, I get tired of the "super-friendship yuri" where it's mostly about being neutered BFFs.

joined Aug 20, 2016

BTW, the saddest part about the translation is that you all miss out on how awesome Nanami's "home" accent is. She speaks in a really really strong regional accent when she's not at work, and it's fantastic.

edit: no slight against the TLers meant here either! It's just not possible to translate that!

I wanted to dial the southern accent up even more but korewa wouldn't let me :(

Capture%20_2018-03-05-21-59-51~2_resized
joined Apr 28, 2016

BTW, the saddest part about the translation is that you all miss out on how awesome Nanami's "home" accent is. She speaks in a really really strong regional accent when she's not at work, and it's fantastic.

edit: no slight against the TLers meant here either! It's just not possible to translate that!

Doooooo iiiiiiit.

Full disclosure: lesbian girls with southern accents is my fetish.

last edited at Aug 20, 2016 1:29PM

5b3c524e-e066-4eaf-8e5f-ae4e37b5edda
joined Jan 18, 2016

Oh this looks great! I love adult life!

joined Oct 12, 2013

Doooooo iiiiiiit.

Don’t, accents in text are unbearable. Though I found Shizuru’s southern accent in the Hime anime irritating as well.

last edited at Aug 21, 2016 7:21PM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Doooooo iiiiiiit.

Don’t, accents in text are unbearable. Though I found Shizuru’s southern accent in the Hime anime irritating as well.

That's a general rule for writing prose in English. If you're going to do an accent on a character who's actually meant to have their dialogue read, keep it really light and use it sparingly. It's okay in the case of the father from Flying Witch since you don't actually need to understand what he says because the characters interpret for you. But otherwise, text accents just annoy most of your readers.

Personally I find defaulting to Southern US English to be kind of overdone anyway. Wasn't there one recently that had more of a Scots accent? That was at least refreshing.

Webp.net-resizeimage%20(1)
joined Apr 19, 2012

Maybe we should default to pirate.

That would be way more fun.

Untitled
joined May 8, 2013

Aye matey!

joined Oct 12, 2013

Doooooo iiiiiiit.

That's a general rule for writing prose in English. If you're going to do an accent on a character who's actually meant to have their dialogue read, keep it really light and use it sparingly. It's okay in the case of the father from Flying Witch since you don't actually need to understand what he says because the characters interpret for you. But otherwise, text accents just annoy most of your readers.

Personally I find defaulting to Southern US English to be kind of overdone anyway. Wasn't there one recently that had more of a Scots accent? That was at least refreshing.

I don't really get its relative prevalence for localising 'fancy' accents. I'd be more inclined to think of an old-money east coast accent as being its relative. I suppose that's just my thinking as a foreigner though, I dunno what Americans think of.

Shimapanda Uploader
Girls in Boxes
joined Oct 18, 2014

I'm personally not a fan of "localising" dialects, the southern American tendency is overdone, painful to read, often doesn't match the characters, and worst of all, doesn't really make sense for a global audience. Might as well put a whole bunch of Aussie slang and a strong drawl in and see how everyone reacts. :P

last edited at Aug 23, 2016 5:21PM

joined Oct 12, 2013

Aussie accents are cute, do it

Femshep%20x%20liara%20avatar
joined Dec 8, 2013

Basically I just want accents. I don't care which ones. Do accents.

Icon%20(4)
joined Jan 20, 2014

I don't like when the manga is in american english T_T we don't learn taht english in the schools

Vegitab%20profile%20pic%20smoll%20tumblr
joined Sep 21, 2014

I don't like when the manga is in american english T_T we don't learn taht english in the schools

Uh more specifically, american english how? The spelling? The accents? The vocab?

Icon%20(4)
joined Jan 20, 2014

Uh more specifically, american english how? The spelling? The accents? The vocab?

I don't know what exactly ^^" but you can see it in those parts
http://prntscr.com/cb645u
http://prntscr.com/cb65a9
Ther ex-byfriend talk http://dynasty-scans.com/system/releases/000/016/233/v01_036.png
http://dynasty-scans.com/system/releases/000/016/233/v01_037.png
http://dynasty-scans.com/system/releases/000/016/233/v01_038.png
ya is you and yer is your, isn't it?
Even when I don't like it because sometimes it's hard to understand for a person who study formal english all her life, I know that the traslate work is really hard and when you read it two times you usually knows what are they saying. It's just a comentary >.<

last edited at Aug 27, 2016 5:03PM

joined Apr 28, 2016

When she's at home Kazuki's dialogue is way off from "proper" English spellings; from what one can derive from the pronunciations she's speaking a southern/midwestern US accent. Also she says stuff like "ya city-slicker".

As I read more yuri doujins, I started picking up on which variation of English scanlators use in their translations; I can usually at least tell whether or not the scanlator is from the US or outside it. When I started reading A Room for Two I noticed GiB was using non-US English, and sure enough the scanlators are Australian.

last edited at Aug 27, 2016 9:04PM

Icon%20(4)
joined Jan 20, 2014

When she's at home Kazuki's dialogue is way off from "proper" English spellings; from what one can derive from the pronunciations she's speaking a southern/midwestern US accent. Also she says stuff like "ya city-slicker".

As I read more yuri doujins, I started picking up on which variation of English scanlators use in their translations; I can usually at least tell whether or not the scanlator is from the US or outside it. When I started reading A Room for Two I noticed GiB was using non-US English, and sure enough the scanlators are Australian.

Hum... I'm going to read that manga to see the difference

joined Oct 12, 2013

Doki always use mum instead of mom as well.

joined Apr 28, 2016

I always associated "mum" with the UK; I didn't know it's also used in Australia until I started reading Shimapanda's and Raizoo's stuff.

joined Oct 12, 2013

I always associated "mum" with the UK; I didn't know it's also used in Australia until I started reading Shimapanda's and Raizoo's stuff.

Australia, NZ, NI. Basically anywhere the British went.

Adeptus%20machanicus
joined Mar 7, 2014

I'm personally not a fan of "localising" dialects, the southern American tendency is overdone, painful to read, often doesn't match the characters, and worst of all, doesn't really make sense for a global audience. Might as well put a whole bunch of Aussie slang and a strong drawl in and see how everyone reacts. :P

No. We need cockney. We need SHIT TONES of cockney.
(Though, the Aussie translations of hentai doujin ARE hilarious.)

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

No. We need cockney. We need SHIT TONES of cockney.
(Though, the Aussie translations of hentai doujin ARE hilarious.)

How about that accent from Fargo? That would be pretty awesome.

That said, heavy accents in books and comics are generally a Bad Idea, and largely just ends up annoying readers. Now if it's a character like the dad in Flying Witch where you're not supposed to really read his dialogue, that's great. But if there are a few lines, it's a good way to get readers to go "no thanks" and stop reading.

56239_1311160211088_full
joined Oct 30, 2015

This two reminds me of Ritsu and Mio somehow

joined Feb 28, 2017

Can't wait to see the best character Ruuko

To reply you must either login or sign up.