Forum › So, Do You Wanna Go Out, Or? discussion

ypassionnate
joined Apr 29, 2018

I really don't get what's so supposedly negative about this.

Two isolated lesbians found companionship with each other, had highly enjoyable sex during that time, learned a bit better what each of them were looking for in a relationship, split amicably and remained good friends while pursuing new relationships. What the hell is so terrible about that?

Nothing earth-shattering happened here. It was a simple, human story that could happen to anyone. Nobody walked away with scars or serious regrets. I think that's more realistic than this cynical "healthy relationships don't exist outside of fiction" nonsense.

wait i NEVER said healthy relationships doesn't exist. but i have never SAW one in my life. that's different. and what pisses me off is what a waste of time their relationship was at the conclution.

joined Jul 26, 2016

That's a rather odd definition for a "waste of time". One might even be tempted to characterize it as "misanthropic".

Nep%20u
joined Mar 15, 2017

heh, the moment I found out how this oneshot ended and saw 70+ comments on the discussion page I instantly knew there would be a shitstorm of people arguing about comparison with real lesbian relationships and whether this is a good ending or not

Hana3
joined Mar 22, 2018

I feel like I more wasted my time reading the comments than reading this story. Damn you curiosity, you've won this round.

My problem with this type of story is that I personally don't relate to just trying to date someone on a whim, but it /does/ happen, regardless of sexual orientation, so it's a refreshing read in that regard. We can't all be childhood friends, am I right?

Sandra2
joined Mar 22, 2013

I liked how openly they talked about their relationship. Even though they weren't 100% honest, I guess, but it felt very human. And I liked that they didn't ride on a dead horse. They could have made it work, but maybe their relationship would have gotten very boring or frustrating. So someone got hurt, but it could have been a lot worse.

I'd take a relationship that starts like this. but I'd either get bored very fast or fall in love, though...^^

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

I really don't get what's so supposedly negative about this.

Two isolated lesbians found companionship with each other, had highly enjoyable sex during that time, learned a bit better what each of them were looking for in a relationship, split amicably and remained good friends while pursuing new relationships. What the hell is so terrible about that?

Nothing earth-shattering happened here. It was a simple, human story that could happen to anyone. Nobody walked away with scars or serious regrets. I think that's more realistic than this cynical "healthy relationships don't exist outside of fiction" nonsense.

wait i NEVER said healthy relationships doesn't exist. but i have never SAW one in my life. that's different. and what pisses me off is what a waste of time their relationship was at the conclution.

Your last statement sounds very immature, honestly. If you think that what happened between these two was a waste of time, you've got a lot to learn about relationships, and living in general.

Tumblr_inline_oxf1gj0pl71rjsbp5_400
joined Jun 23, 2017

That's my problem with this kind of story. Pretty sweet, pretty realistic, but I didn't feel much and I'll probably forget about it quickly. Still nice overall, I guess!

SomethingOrOther
joined May 15, 2018

Y'all are going over the top lol. It's not like arguing for and against is going to change anyone's mind. It will actually have the opposite effect. The more you argue, the more each person will keep to their opinion ( says psychology ). I say that this story is shit, and that's it for me. Trying to explain and justify won't change a thing.

ypassionnate
joined Apr 29, 2018

Your last statement sounds very immature, honestly. If you think that what happened between these two was a waste of time, you've got a lot to learn about relationships, and living in general.

i don't see in what it's "immature". from the begining of the story their relationship didn't improve or anything they where friend and dating each over didn't change anything about them or beetwen them. so for me it was really a complete waste of time. things would have been the SAME if they never dated each other. so all this story is king of pointless because NOTHING have really improved or changed.

last edited at May 24, 2018 3:32PM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

i don't see in what it's "immature". from the begining of the story their relationship didn't improve or anything they where friend and dating each over didn't change anything about them or beetwen them. so for me it was really a complete waste of time. things would have been the SAME if they never dated each other. so all this story is king of pointless because NOTHING have really improved or changed.

They very obviously did learn more about the things they like and about relationships in general. She outright says her expectation that sex without love would be terrible was wrong, but she also learns that she personally wants something more romantic. She gains experience that way, both of them do, that they can carry forward into new relationships. And again, they walk out of the experience with a good friend they can confide in that they didn't have before, that's a huge plus in a person's life. Seriously, that's the opposite of a waste of time, which is why I say your outlook is immature. It's simplistic and defining "gain" as only "had a successful romance". That's an attitude that discards quite a lot in search of an ideal and causes a person to miss very valuable things along the way that maybe aren't so perfect.

If they hadn't dated, it's not even sure that they would have gotten to be friends at all, let alone close, lasting friends, which is shown by the fact that they'd clearly been club-mates for a while and not become friends until the dating thing came up.

Rankarana Uploader
New%20profile
Sexy Akiba Detectives
joined Feb 8, 2014

can you imagine never having broken up with anyone in your life... jelly

ypassionnate
joined Apr 29, 2018

can you imagine never having broken up with anyone in your life... jelly

well i don't see in what this is bad if you love the person you're with. break up only bring suffering anyway.

last edited at May 24, 2018 3:57PM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

An aside that occurs to me here, where does this whole "realistic = bad things" idea come from? It's not like romantic relationships and nice things don't happen in real life or anything. People have happy, lasting relationships. People make sweet gestures and can be funny or happy or lighthearted.

I think when a lot of people say "I want more realistic stories", they don't mean they want stories about breakups and arguments and tragedy, per se. Those make for interesting stories, but my thought is that what people want are relateable stories instead. Things that could actually happen, but not necessarily downers. Maybe a little more complex than "Schoolgirl A meets Schoolgirl B via some contrived event and it's love at first sight", maybe a little closer to people's lives so they might be able to imagine themselves doing stuff like that too. Look at Off Time by Morishima Akiko. It's sweet, it's happy, it's realistic. In the relateable sense, that is.

joined Jan 6, 2014

aw man i really want to jump in on the argument but i think id lose brain cells or be accused of being an sjw or something if i do.
anyway, love that this was more abt "lesbians" than "yuri" if that makes sense. more tmfly and SAD stuff pls.

Maki_avi-2
joined Apr 13, 2018

I disagree with the disclaimer at the front. I think getting drunk and dating on a whim is very pure, even if it doesn't ultimately work out!!

AnimexObsession
Screenshot%20(107)
joined Dec 27, 2014

"This is university-set gay stuff. It's not meant to be pure. Hope you like it."
Yeah it has a more realistic chill vibe to it.

Your_hair_has_gotten_longer_by_folksneedheroes-d5l5v69
joined Apr 23, 2015

that was great!
Yeah they weren't that fleshed out. as is the case with a lot of shorts, but the overall point was really good.
I skimmed the comments . . .

For my own part, I love ridiculous fantasy premises as much as I love realistic slice of life stories. But I got a lot of things I wont touch like incest and age gap, love triangle. Needless to say this often has me skipping a lot of "updates" to on going stories. There are quite a few gimmicks that I don't care for either and a lot of character types that are almost enough for me to drop a story alone. Basically one picky mofo! but I try to respect that people like stuff I don't.

I like depictions of believable relationships even if they don't work out. That's life. I like stories that can reflect some of the most complicated things people go through. And I don't see it as a "waste" because the character almost always learn something as they did in this story. As for "we read for fantasy" I know a lot of people that could never get into my beloved western superhero comics cartoons movies because they are "exaggerated." They have always preferred stories of believable realistic things that could happen to anyone. I think this group is still the slight majority so I don't see how it can come as a surprise that some people might want realistic believable yuri whether it's a happy ending or not.

(though I seriously want more action, sword and sorcery, superhero scifi supernatural yuri. Sign me up!)

I have considered what I might want is just to read about real relationships somewhere on the web but haven't got around to even running a search on that yet.

I'm even rushing this comment. So little about anime/manga seems to go well with me that I often think it's just not my thing but there aren't too many alternatives at the moment for same sex female relationships. Or I'm just not seeing it. Plus there is always the possibility of coming across stories like this

last edited at May 24, 2018 5:47PM

Healing-punchiiiii
joined Jan 21, 2016

That was different but nice and sort of realistic. It also reminds me a bit of Tamamusi's not-so-rough sketches for some reasons.

Screenshot_20180828-085722_1
joined Mar 21, 2016

An aside that occurs to me here, where does this whole "realistic = bad things" idea come from? It's not like romantic relationships and nice things don't happen in real life or anything. People have happy, lasting relationships. People make sweet gestures and can be funny or happy or lighthearted.

I think when a lot of people say "I want more realistic stories", they don't mean they want stories about breakups and arguments and tragedy, per se. Those make for interesting stories, but my thought is that what people want are relateable stories instead. Things that could actually happen, but not necessarily downers. Maybe a little more complex than "Schoolgirl A meets Schoolgirl B via some contrived event and it's love at first sight", maybe a little closer to people's lives so they might be able to imagine themselves doing stuff like that too. Look at Off Time by Morishima Akiko. It's sweet, it's happy, it's realistic. In the relateable sense, that is.

mybe cuz ppl are already tired of seeing em in real life, they tend to think that most of realistic stories are mundane n bad

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

sheska posted:

mybe cuz ppl are already tired of seeing em in real life, they tend to think that most of realistic stories are mundane n bad

Look. I get it. I avoid sad and tragic stories too. But some people like those kind of stories. It all depends on person and their life. Someone who had a lot of bad experiences, will like to read something happy and far from "reality", while other person who is doing well might want to read something sad to balance it out. It isn't a hard rule, but the point is different people look for different things in fiction. So while you might not like this particular story, there are other people that do and having that kind of diversity in them is good. Imagine how much it would suck if everyone only wrote 1 kind of story, because someone said they only want to read stories like that, but it happened to be the kind of story you don't enjoy.

Ke%20(5)
joined Feb 10, 2016

Great, original story

Capturedsfdsss_x213
joined Mar 16, 2018

Man I wish my breakups went that nicely. Mine usually end over the phone and lead to lots of emotional turmoil.

Screenshot_20180828-085722_1
joined Mar 21, 2016

sheska posted:

Look. I get it. I avoid sad and tragic stories too. But some people like those kind of stories. It all depends on person and their life. Someone who had a lot of bad experiences, will like to read something happy and far from "reality", while other person who is doing well might want to read something sad to balance it out. It isn't a hard rule, but the point is different people look for different things in fiction. So while you might not like this particular story, there are other people that do and having that kind of diversity in them is good. Imagine how much it would suck if everyone only wrote 1 kind of story, because someone said they only want to read stories like that, but it happened to be the kind of story you don't enjoy.

don't get me wrong, I didn't shit on every realistic story in general.
I simply think Most of realistic story (not only yuri) are mundane n bad,
especially this one shot called "so, do u wanna bla bla²" was just too realistic n so painfully predictable. it's just so obnoxious n nthn but a waste of time at least for me, n Im fairly sure I ain't the only one here.

joined Dec 4, 2016

Please don't generalize 'realistic'. What I think of realistic here maybe just simply good story writing. Story that understand people emotion and their problem in life. Not plot driven or drama driven stories.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Yikuph posted:

Please don't generalize 'realistic'. What I think of realistic here maybe just simply good story writing. Story that understand people emotion and their problem in life. Not plot driven or drama driven stories.

When people say realistic, they actually mean believable. That characters actions make sense in character and story progress in natural way. No story is actually completely realistic, cos that would be really boring to read.

last edited at May 25, 2018 7:44AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.