Forum › A Kiss And A White Lily discussion

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Actually, Yurine was always the one helping Ayaka. Then the table turned and now it turned again. So... normal, i guess?

I’m not sure what “always” means here—from the very beginning, Ayaka has helped Yurine to make friends, to be less lonely, and to understand herself better, and Yurine has thanked her for it explicitly several times. (That’s why she can substitute “I’m thankful to you” instead of her usual “I love you” in the latest chapter.) Of course it has worked the other way more than a couple of times as well.

T%e1%ba%a3i%20xu%e1%bb%91ng
joined Mar 20, 2017

You sure? At the beginning, Ayaka was the one who helped Yurine make friends, with Ai, the gardening club and such. It's true that Yurine was the one helping in chap 22-23 though… then Ayaka was the helper again in chap 31-32… Huh… seems like they actually take turns.

Yeah, that is more correct

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

It is true that in some ways the “center” of the main story is the Chapter 23 beach scene, where Yurine shows that she can give Ayaka the real emotional support that she needs.

We even get an explicit callback to that scene to open the chapter where Tsundere Denial-sama finally starts ‘fessing up to herself.

T%e1%ba%a3i%20xu%e1%bb%91ng
joined Mar 20, 2017

Smiling like an idiot right now =))

Copy90_90_zpscf246422
joined Sep 18, 2014

Poor Ayaka...

Capture%20sakukallen
joined Apr 17, 2015

Give up, Ayaka, you'll never win. XD

Hase's last line in the omake is, ironically, a summary of the whole history of inventions: people who worked their butt off so that they could be lazy. So… is Hase secretly a genius?

…Damn, I'd really like an actual arc about Hase and Aizawa, but we already just got a student council arc so it probably won't happen. =(

last edited at Apr 17, 2018 6:42AM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Her brain still won’t even fully admit that she’s fallen for Yurine, but her heart has already picked out the wedding china.

joined Feb 18, 2015

Yep!

I thought the whole Valentine's Day mini-chapter was too cute! I like the little "catch up on the couples" things. The huge table o' snacks for the poly triad was nice.

Hase's last line in the omake is, ironically, a summary of the whole history of inventions: people who worked their butt off so that they could be lazy. So… is Hase secretly a genius?

…Damn, I'd really like an actual arc about Hase and Aizawa, but we already just got a student council arc so it probably won't happen. =(

I agree that it's probably too late to get a full arc about Hase and Aizawa, but it would be fun. Hase especially seems like a fun character, though the lazy student council president with the efficient person who loves them, even though they have a severe demeanor and don't come across as the "loving" type, is probably an overused trope...

For a fun show that happens to include the concept of the purpose of inventions being to allow people to be lazy, check out Firebringer (https://youtu.be/ZmVuNlu0LCk). It is a musical by Team Starkid, a theater troupe in based in Chicago (though it was founded at the University of Michigan) that produces musical comedies and puts them on the internet. Firebringer is set in the stone age, about the discovery of fire. It also includes fun stuff like lesbian relationships, polyamory, one character that seems to be nonbinary, and fun discussions about how tasty babies are... It's pretty funny!

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

Omake:

Does anyone else ever confuse this with Bloom into You? I just did - offshoot of so many characters. I thought this was the origin story for Sayaka Saeki being on the student council! Then I thought it was Shiramine's origin story in the correct manga. Then I realized it's the new(er) girl who's a rival to her crush. Canno and Nakatani Nio both have a gorgeous style, and I find them somewhat similar there.

Latest Chapter:

The sisterly relationship between Shiramine and her cousin is probably my favorite relationship in the whole series, even though it's filled with cliches. I hope Ayaka is properly grateful some day. It makes that newspaper rumor "her cousin dominates her out of lust, and Yurine had to rescue her" even funnier. Shiramine practically demands advice constantly, then isn't a bit grateful for it, and the cousin is thus reluctant to give it - and also, reluctant to contradict Shiramine's chronic levels of OCD and denial.

My theory is the cousin knows about Ayaka's mother and takes pity on her.

last edited at Apr 17, 2018 6:08PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Does anyone else ever confuse this with Bloom into You?

I certainly tend to think of them together, despite their differences in tone and story structure. The art styles aren’t too dissimilar, and Touko and Shiramine have some overall similarities of character traits and visual design (although there are lots of other similar dark-haired perfectionist class president—or equivalent—types).

It’s more like if I’m looking forward to a new chapter of one of them, a new chapter of the other will do for now.

last edited at Apr 17, 2018 6:43PM

joined Jul 26, 2016

My theory is the cousin knows about Ayaka's mother and takes pity on her.

Would be pretty odd if Mizuki didn't have a good idea of the situation, she isn't pathologically oblivious - plus given that said mother is either full sister or in-law of one of her own parents she's doubtless heard some "warts and all" opinions from that side on top of her own observations.

Webp.net-resizeimage%20(1)
joined Apr 19, 2012

I thought the whole Valentine's Day mini-chapter was too cute! I like the little "catch up on the couples" things. The huge table o' snacks for the poly triad was nice.

So adorable! Really enjoyed how everyone's personality shone through!

Capture%20sakukallen
joined Apr 17, 2015

The sisterly relationship between Shiramine and her cousin is probably my favorite relationship in the whole series, even though it's filled with cliches.

What do you mean "filled with clichés"? :o I find that they have a pretty unique relationship actually. Sort of mutually supportive, with Ayaka showing her sisterly love in her own, slightly jerkish way (like when she tells Mizuki to dress up for her girlfriend for the summer festival or hilariously tries to imitate Moe to cheer her up).

On another note, Canno has tweeted something a little interesting. The conversation is as follows:
Canno: Every time I try to draw adult yuri, I end up doing more or less this kind of couple…
Kanarashi: Waaah!! I so want to read an adult yuri from you!!
Canno: I do want to draw an adult relationship, but I don't know what to write yet, so it will happen one day! Eventually!
Kanarashi: Then I'll stubbornly wait for that day to come!!

…Canno… You've created a lesbian school full of female teachers. What are you waiting for. Please. ;__;

joined Jan 10, 2017

I liked the original relationship in this manga and I feel like everything else is annoying filler than I don't want to read. Why did the author have to turn this into this bloated mess of uninteresting characters...

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

I'm already way past the point of getting upset with new pairs, my theory is that the author went and said around chapter 25 "Hey!I know how to finish this" and the editor said "no you don't :), you better come back with a new chapter next month if you want to see your family again" and if this theory is true, one day editor san will say "okay, here's the key to the dungeon, you can finish it now" and it won't feel rushed.

But yeah, this new one isn't really interesting for me, and like Lyendith said, a teacher x teacher or age gap relationship would be welcome.

last edited at May 9, 2018 11:21PM

Profile%20picture
joined Jan 23, 2018

Well... that was depressing.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I’m starting to feel like the cynical old combat veteran in World War 2 movies: “I don’t even bother to learn the names of the new recruits anymore—they’re gone before I can tell one from the other.”

If this chapter is a standalone, the meet-confess-breakup cycle is really accelerating. Maybe Canno’s softening us up with a little heartbreak to lay the groundwork for a bittersweet OTP ending. (I hope that’s just the cynical combat vet in me talking.)

Sin%20t%c3%adtulo-min
joined Sep 28, 2011

Can you believe, just when it feels like reaching something akin to looking like a thing that might seem similar to a conclusion, a new couple is introduced

Mostly%20sunny
joined Oct 26, 2016

People: Stop dragging out the plot, and wasting chapters on other characters!
Canno: Aight. [compresses an entire new arc into a single chapter]

Hinataskype
joined May 26, 2011

I absolutely enjoy all these side couples. It, to me, seems like Canno has all these ideas for different stories and instead of just doing oneshots decided to fit them into this school setting. I like it though! idk tons of variety.

Screenshot_20180828-085722_1
joined Mar 21, 2016

I wish this manga will get anime adaptation asap

690ea2d43c833a395aa79e98116d8d2f
joined Apr 15, 2018

Idk why but i love the side couples more than the main couple lol

Ran-lossy
joined Mar 22, 2015

Idk why but i love the side couples more than the main couple lol

Their arcs are quick so we get a complete and well rounded view of the characters and their journey.

By comparison, we don't even know what percentage of the main couple's arc we've seen, except that I think it's over 50%.

last edited at May 10, 2018 2:22AM

MegaWallflower
Capture
joined Sep 22, 2014

I love the side couples more than the main couple too. I forgot there was a main couple for a little bit, haha. Like a purer Virgins' Empire.

This meet-date-breakup chapter is so sad though... ;-;

last edited at May 10, 2018 2:44AM

mei is waifu
Ds6osxcvsaabln5
joined Dec 13, 2017

There we go... another couple. sigh

Oh well, I will just come back for my dose of AyaYuri or MoeMizuki where they at though? after 1564761 chapters featuring this couple...or any other couple Canno decides to introduce to keep on dragging the plot

last edited at May 10, 2018 4:46AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.