Forum › It's Tough Being Neeko discussion

Zigv3uyqlg0hih2ixcp8saivs99g-ehejzp51vcc89w
joined Feb 8, 2018

Well, tbh it has comedy tag, but it's not comedy anymore (at least for me).
Still enjoyable tho :>

Image62
joined Feb 28, 2015

Neeko x Mom is the only ship

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

At the very least she should help in the house

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Treating social anxiety from the angle of comedy is cringy.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Way to go putting even more pressure on her when she's clearly already struggling quite a lot. If someone is suffering from anxiety this badly then trying to push them harder than they already are themselves can easily result in it backfiring and doing more harm than good.

Untitle435ed34qwrqwd
joined May 15, 2014

I hope this takes a serious turn soon she got ill by this, she really need to go to a doctor and her mom really needs to take a step back and really look at her. As someone who is/was in her shoes It cant be very painful thinking that your a failure or worthless and her mom pushing her is obviously making it worse.

Delinquint%20yuri
joined Sep 14, 2016

Way to go putting even more pressure on her when she's clearly already struggling quite a lot. If someone is suffering from anxiety this badly then trying to push them harder than they already are themselves can easily result in it backfiring and doing more harm than good.

I don't know whether to respond with "so true" or with "yeah that was the point of the chapter, thanks for pointing it out" so have a scary dinosaur instead

Commandershepard13
1071350_639308102760295_1399509523_o
joined Mar 24, 2014

Based on her behavior its pretty obvious this girl suffers from clinical depression.

joined Sep 23, 2017

Based on her behavior its pretty obvious this girl suffers from clinical depression.

Those aren't depression symptoms.
Those are anxiety symptoms.

I'm very curious to see where this manga is going, to be honest.
It constructs these semi-absurd situations (or presents them in a semi-absurd way), and it's clearly aiming to be comedic to some degree, but then it's also treating anxiety and its effects very realistically and quite seriously.
Getting some serious mood whiplash from it.

Parseewtc
joined Jul 6, 2016

I think this manga's goal is to make neets who would read it, feel guilty, or ashamed. And for the others to pity them.

Feel guilty toward their family, their friends, their past selves and even society as a whole.

The tone is comedy, but the subtext is that, at the moment, she's worthless.

Literally the opposite, I'm pretty sure. I'm going to preface and say I've been in Neeko's shoes for most of my adult life(hell I'm barely a year older than her), it's scary how much that this manga has reflected literal events that have happened in my life. My read has been similar to two other fantastic works about social anxiety--Welcome to the NHK and (early-mid)Watamote--it's almost autobiographical in a sense. Yeah, they're comedies, and yes they're not afraid to poke at their protagonist, but it comes from a place of knowing and understanding. Last chapter, with Neeko's self-destructive nostalgia fit for example, is an aspect that even works focusing on neets rarely address, it's something I've done before. This last chapter, if you're taking it from the family's view I don't really know what to say. It's another thing that's happened personally to me--trying to take a step to better yourself in some way, then having your family come, misinterpret that initiative, and pressure you into doing things you're not ready to do until you just break down and end up pissing away whatever initiative you had. The various bouts of vapid indulgent selfishness, only to beat herself up for them after? Yeah that's legit too.

Now, why is Neeko perceived in such a negative way? Because we see things through her perspective, and she has close to no self-esteem. She feels guilty about being a burden to her family, about being developmentally behind her peers, about failing her past self(which speaking of in that flashback? Neeko's aspirations being completely vague even back then? That's the real shit right there). It reflects in the narration and the her actions. The subtext isn't really that she's worthless, its that she thinks she's worthless when that's not really the case.

I really like this work in a lot of ways because it's one of the very few times I've really seen ~my~ experiences put to a page. I don't really think it's been a comedy much either, there are certainly comedic moments and by and large it's more light-hearted than something like My Lesbian Experience, but that's not a bad thing either.

Nodoyue_avatar1
joined Aug 7, 2017

I hope this takes a serious turn soon she got ill by this, she really need to go to a doctor and her mom really needs to take a step back and really look at her. As someone who is/was in her shoes It cant be very painful thinking that your a failure or worthless and her mom pushing her is obviously making it worse.

Japanese society stigmatizes the idea of needing psychiatric treatment even more than, say, US society does.

joined Jun 30, 2016

They must really had bully her a lot in the past is she is this bad just from a call....

Commandershepard13
1071350_639308102760295_1399509523_o
joined Mar 24, 2014

Those aren't depression symptoms.
Those are anxiety symptoms.

As someone who has both depression and anxiety, those two really aren't as different as it may seem.

Charon-sml
joined Feb 14, 2016

As someone who has both depression and anxiety, those two really aren't as different as it may seem.

Yeah, long-term anxiety is taxing on the brain which leads to depression; they're not necessarily inextricably linked but left untreated (as in the case here!) it's pretty much inevitable

joined May 23, 2015

There is a reason treatments are often marketed as being for both depression and social anxiety. They have a pretty strong connection.

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Treating social anxiety from the angle of comedy is cringy.

It's rare for me to agree with Nya-chan's assessments, but on this particular point, I concur fully. :-)

UranusAndNeptuneAreJustCousins
joined Sep 6, 2015

Does anyone actually see this as comedy any more? For me personally, it fails both as a comedy, and as a work depicting a character suffering from anxiety. It is far too cringy to be funny, but it also does not make me sympathise with Neeko. For some reason, I find myself considering her to be quite obnoxious. I suspect the reason is not actually the character, but the way she is being presented. Her symptoms are highly realistic, but the whole thing is told form the perspective of "hey, it is funny, lol". This tone led me to believe she was just lazy and spiteful towards people who were actually doing something in the first chapters, and even now when it is blatantly obvious she has severe anxiety issues, it still fails to make me sympathise with her.

As the cover page of chapter 2 said: "...painful but fun(?) slice of life comedy of a cute and useless NEET girl." It just does not work like that. Who knows, perhaps such a premise could be pulled off, but this work is failing to do so.

joined Mar 15, 2017

Does anyone actually see this as comedy any more? For me personally, it fails both as a comedy, and as a work depicting a character suffering from anxiety. It is far too cringy to be funny, but it also does not make me sympathise with Neeko. For some reason, I find myself considering her to be quite obnoxious. I suspect the reason is not actually the character, but the way she is being presented. Her symptoms are highly realistic, but the whole thing is told form the perspective of "hey, it is funny, lol". This tone led me to believe she was just lazy and spiteful towards people who were actually doing something in the first chapters, and even now when it is blatantly obvious she has severe anxiety issues, it still fails to make me sympathise with her.

As the cover page of chapter 2 said: "...painful but fun(?) slice of life comedy of a cute and useless NEET girl." It just does not work like that. Who knows, perhaps such a premise could be pulled off, but this work is failing to do so.

I think it's succeeding well and is better for being how it is than a series that worried about people who find her obnoxious or the humor too cringey. The series feels confident that she is a character it's possible to be fond of, even with how flawed she is, and it's right to.

joined May 23, 2015

A lot of people really enjoy it. The fact that it's presented as being more fun instead of serious and dark seems to make it more accessible to a lot of people. And easier for some people with similar experiences to be able to identify with without it just making them feel bad. I certainly don't find much cringe in it at all, personally.

Especially not compared to something that wallows in its cringe, like watamote.

It might be failing to do it to your taste, but it's succeeding at it pretty well in general. The comics are selling well enough and have already had additional printings.

risingstar3110
joined Feb 15, 2013

A lot of people really enjoy it. The fact that it's presented as being more fun instead of serious and dark seems to make it more accessible to a lot of people. And easier for some people with similar experiences to be able to identify with without it just making them feel bad. I certainly don't find much cringe in it at all, personally.

It might be failing to do it to your taste, but it's succeeding at it pretty well in general. The comics are selling well enough and have already had additional printings.

Watamote has been getting great recently though.

Thank to yuri. Like... I feel the yuri aspect of it saved Watamote

joined Dec 4, 2016

I remember I feel cringe reading watamote long time ago, now reread the early chapters I feel nothing! What's happening? But really I think the manga move from cringe gags to yuri comedy gag, there is barely any cringe moment now.

last edited at Apr 28, 2018 1:34AM

(y)
joined Jan 9, 2017

I was kinda waiting for a stress attack

(y)
joined Jan 9, 2017

Watamote has been getting great recently though.

Thank to yuri. Like... I feel the yuri aspect of it saved Watamote

Watamote is ongoing?

Man this was depressing. Social anxiety, turned into depression, and she is so scared just to leave the house and talk to others.

joined Jan 8, 2018

Video for chapter 8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAoRRi2PxxU

last edited at Jun 9, 2018 3:19PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.