Forum › Happy Sugar Life discussion

Img-20190201-wa0005
joined Sep 21, 2015

Everything went to shit, until now Sato was a sadist but hadnt diertied her hands (except the previos owners of their 'castle')

last edited at Apr 22, 2018 11:37PM

schuyguy Uploader
Imura%20ei%20music%20concert%20face
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

Everything went to shit, until now Sato was a sadist but hadnt diertied her hands (except the previos owners of their 'castle')

Not sure if Satou is a sadist. She doesn't go out of her way to be cruel, and she doesn't torment people for pleasure. Usually she seems very upset after interacting with the people she hurts (though admittedly, not out of any concern for their well-being, or regret for hurting them). She just does what she thinks necessary to preserve her love, regardless of any negative consequences for anyone else. I agree that with this she's definitely crossed a major boundary.

Without knowing how she acquired Shio, it's hard to judge her for kidnapping her—at this point, for all we know Shio was abandoned by her mother, or had run away, or she was abused, and Satou saved her. Likewise, her murder of the artist is maybe justifiable. After all, he was in the process of strangling Shio to death when she killed him. Every other case where she's manipulated or injured someone (like cutting those thugs' eyes out in chapter 7) is similar, where one could argue that maybe they deserved it, or she was acting in self-defense.

But her killing Shouko is absolutely immoral.

MegaWallflower
Capture
joined Sep 22, 2014

Welp, there goes my favorite ship. The one person who genuinely loved Satou and wanted to help her and be there for her with no creepiness...

This is a really interesting turning point. That's definitely the first of Satou's murders/methods that the sympathetic audience has no real way of justifying (Like the apartment owner attempting to kill Shio, the teacher being a dangerous stalker, the delinquients beating up Mitsuboshi, the coworker also being a dangerous stalker). And Satou still thinks she can justify it to herself because her friend freaked out when she saw her aunt. Or maybe she's just saying that, we know she'd have to kill her either way.

Oh, and her brother finally knows who has Shion now. The final showdown's getting closer!

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

This is a really interesting turning point. That's definitely the first of Satou's murders/methods that the sympathetic audience has no real way of justifying (Like the apartment owner attempting to kill Shio, the teacher being a dangerous stalker, the delinquients beating up Mitsuboshi, the coworker also being a dangerous stalker).

I agree with everything you've said, but it's worth taking a half-step back and reflecting on how we're like, "I was fine with all those other murders, but this one was just too much."

In fact, to demonstrate what this one does to my own moral compass, I was kinda hoping she'd get around to Yandere-kun sooner rather than later . . .

schuyguy Uploader
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

And Satou still thinks she can justify it to herself because her friend freaked out when she saw her aunt. Or maybe she's just saying that, we know she'd have to kill her either way.

This might be important to understanding Satou's psyche. Back when Satou brought Shouko to her aunt, I think she was of two minds. On the one hand, she saw it as a convenient way of getting a potential obstacle (Shouko) to leave her alone and stop asking questions. She knew she could either scare Shouko away or use reaction as a way to guilt her into withdrawing.

But I think also that part of her genuinely hoped that Shouko wouldn't withdraw, and would remain her friend, unlike all of the other people who had rejected her in the past. So even though Satou set up Shouko and manipulated her, she probably was also genuinely hurt at the perceived betrayal, no matter how unreasonable that is.

I do wonder, if Shouko had passed Satou's "test" earlier, would she have hesitated about killing her here?

last edited at Apr 23, 2018 4:58AM

joined Mar 6, 2018

Wait, ch 24 is supposed to before ch 23, right? Then how did he get the picture?

schuyguy Uploader
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

Wait, ch 24 is supposed to before ch 23, right? Then how did he get the picture?

Most of the chapter is a flashback, and then it jumps forward to after Shouko is dead.

risingstar3110
joined Feb 15, 2013

Let’s be honest here, knowing Sato, her killing of Shouko is completely logical.

The fact that Shouko took and sent the picture without discussing the option with her. Then was only appealing to Sato’s trust on her afterward (something which she already lost through the aunt arc). Yes, there is no other way for Sato but to take her out.

Sato’s tuition also was correct, as it is confirmed that Shouko will tell on Sato to Shio’s brother, who may involve the polices in with such clear lead. Running away will not be a sure safe option, with everything Shouko already knew

I mean to Sato’s unstable mind, Shio’s being protected by her worth more than everything, even her own moral code ( the whole “killing is wrong”). That is what’s wrong with Sato. Everything else she did was simply just logical

last edited at Apr 23, 2018 4:54AM

joined Feb 21, 2018

Welp, there goes my favorite ship. The one person who genuinely loved Satou and wanted to help her and be there for her with no creepiness...

This is a really interesting turning point. That's definitely the first of Satou's murders/methods that the sympathetic audience has no real way of justifying (Like the apartment owner attempting to kill Shio, the teacher being a dangerous stalker, the delinquients beating up Mitsuboshi, the coworker also being a dangerous stalker). And Satou still thinks she can justify it to herself because her friend freaked out when she saw her aunt. Or maybe she's just saying that, we know she'd have to kill her either way.

Oh, and her brother finally knows who has Shion now. The final showdown's getting closer!

The moment she took the picture and sent it she showed her true colors of not being a true friend who would stand by Satous side. She easily switched to the brothers side even though she barely knew him.

Did she deserve to die? Of course not. But its less sympathetic when she is a big fat phony.

joined Feb 21, 2018

The moment she took the picture and sent it she showed her true colors of not being a true friend who would stand by Satous side. She easily switched to the brothers side even though she barely knew him.

Did she deserve to die? Of course not. But its less sympathetic when she is a big fat phony. Also, her taste in men in questionable at best.

last edited at Apr 23, 2018 6:08AM

57e011396781cdc3308f5aefac880571
joined Feb 19, 2016

Chp 23: Aww that's a waste of a potential love interest.
Chp 24: Lol she het. Bye traitor chan

I love my sick twisted brain

Fb_img_1557642301687
joined Aug 12, 2013

Did she deserve to die? Of course not. But its less sympathetic when she is a big fat phony. Also, her taste in men in questionable at best.

Romantic interest aside, she was trying to help someone who was missing his sister. Regardless of our feelings and ships, based on what's shown so far, she believed she was doing the right thing for both parties. She wanted to reunite a family as well as stop her friends from falling deeper into these holes they dug themselves. I don't think she loses any sympathy points for trying to do the right thing.

For Satou, this is business as usual. While she did cross a line in a way for some readers, in her own head she simply got rid of another threat to her happiness.

joined Feb 21, 2018

Romantic interest aside, she was trying to help someone who was missing his sister. Regardless of our feelings and ships, based on what's shown so far, she believed she was doing the right thing for both parties. She wanted to reunite a family as well as stop her friends from falling deeper into these holes they dug themselves. I don't think she loses any sympathy points for trying to do the right thing.

She is trying to help someone who told her a story without any proof by snapping a picture real quick, texting him and then lying to her "dear friend". She was real quick to backstab Satou and then lie to her face about it. She isnt trying to help Satou, she clearly saw Shio happy and healthy and yet didnt even confront Satou about taking in a lost child before assuming the absolute worse. Was she right? Yeah, but she didnt know that.

MegaWallflower
Capture
joined Sep 22, 2014

This might be important to understanding Satou's psyche. Back when Satou brought Shouko to her aunt, I think she was of two minds. On the one hand, she saw it as a convenient way of getting a potential obstacle (Shouko) to leave her alone and stop asking questions. She knew she could either scare Shouko away or use reaction as a way to guilt her into withdrawing.
But I think also that part of her genuinely hoped that Shouko wouldn't withdraw, and would remain her friend, unlike all of the other people who had rejected her in the past. So even though Satou set up Shouko and manipulated her, she probably was also genuinely hurt at the perceived betrayal, no matter how unreasonable that is.
I do wonder, if Shouko had passed Satou's "test" earlier, would she have hesitated about killing her here?

For Satou, this is business as usual. While she did cross a line in a way for some readers, in her own head she simply got rid of another threat to her happiness.

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/happy_sugar_life_ch22#19

It marks something special for Satou too, but not in that in crosses a line.

Shouko seemed to occupy a very odd grey area, while everyone else that messed with Satou earlier was explicitly filth. Satou probably considered the way she got her friend to leave her alone merciful compared to how she dealth with others, and even after that, she didn't have a specific way to label her and the face she recalled was that of sadness. Satou didn't hate her, and that was "taken advantage of" in her eyes now. And she'll know that Mitsuboshi wasn't convincing enough once she sees Asashi return, too. After these events, she's lost any grey area she had on the outside world and its people, now she knows she can't hesitate anymore.

And she dirted her hands and brought this person who turned out to be filth inside her little guilded cage, her castle, while Shio was in the next room and very able to hear the sound of what was going on. I guess we have to see if that's something that "belies her love" or not.

I agree with everything you've said, but it's worth taking a half-step back and reflecting on how we're like, "I was fine with all those other murders, but this one was just too much."
In fact, to demonstrate what this one does to my own moral compass, I was kinda hoping she'd get around to Yandere-kun sooner rather than later . . .

....True. But the world feels like a place where literally everyone is crazy and kindness and morality has yet to be properly rewarded in the story, so I can't help but feel like Satou's way is justified if only because it works. Also because that's where the yuri is.

schuyguy Uploader
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

She is trying to help someone who told her a story without any proof by snapping a picture real quick, texting him and then lying to her "dear friend". She was real quick to backstab Satou and then lie to her face about it. She isnt trying to help Satou, she clearly saw Shio happy and healthy and yet didnt even confront Satou about taking in a lost child before assuming the absolute worse. Was she right? Yeah, but she didnt know that.

Why would anyone believe that Asahi was lying? He's spent months wandering the streets putting up flyers about a missing girl. What could possibly possess someone to do that, except for the obvious reason that she's his missing sister, just like he says. When Shouko saw Shio living with Satou, taking a picture and sending it to Asahi is a perfectly reasonable response. It's his missing sister that he's been looking for for months, letting the guy know she's alive is just the right thing to do.

Plus, even if it were all some giant misunderstanding, or if Asahi were lying, and Satou's relationship with Shio were perfectly innocent, then Satou would have nothing to hide, and lose nothing from Shouko sending a picture to Asahi. The only case in which Satou would suffer from her doing that would be if she had actually kidnapped the girl.

Also, why do you think Shouko lied to Satou? Judging by all the dialogue on page 186, Shouko directly and honestly confronted Satou about kidnapping Shio, and told her to return her to her family. That's the opposite of lying.

I would agree with you in that this might be a betrayal from Satou's perspective, but I don't think even that would be true. Satou cut off all ties with Shouko. Satou might have seen Shouko's reaction to meeting her aunt as a betrayal, but after that she treated her like a stranger. You cannot be betrayed by someone who owes you no loyalty.

After these events, she's lost any grey area she had on the outside world and its people, now she knows she can't hesitate anymore.

And she dirted her hands and brought this person who turned out to be filth inside her little guilded cage, her castle, while Shio was in the next room and very able to hear the sound of what was going on. I guess we have to see if that's something that "belies her love" or not.

Yeah, I think she'll take an even harder line from now on. She murdered her last link to any sense of connection to any person other than Shio.

She might see having allowed Shouko to intrude as a personal failure that breaks her vow to Shio, but I don't think murdering Shouko in front of Shio will bother her conscience much, since that particular qualm hasn't stopped her before. She doesn't seem to keen on Shio finding out she's a murderer, but that seems more of pragmatic compunction than a moral one.

last edited at Apr 23, 2018 9:07AM

risingstar3110
joined Feb 15, 2013

Kinda agree with this aspect of Shouko’s betrayal

Despite Satou certainly was showed to be much more stable individual and a more reasonable member of society. In fact Shouko could see that Satou has turned into a better person than the girl who flinged around in relationship that she once knew. Seeing a happy Shio should also give a much stronger warning signal that things could be better as it is.

However she took Shiou’s brother (Asahi) side instead. Even if she trust his story completely (and he is not a pedophile, or just abusive individual), it could be seen clearly that Shio life will not be better off over there. A mother who showed no care toward both her children. A brother who is unstably obsessing with searching for his sister as his only reason to live. Who can’t even take care of himself, much less of another younger sibling. And she want to return Shio back to that family?

So if she didn’t do it out of spite toward Satou. Or out of best interest toward Shio. Or best interest toward Satou even. And she is not the type who believe blindly in justice.

Then there is only one reason for her to backstabbing on Satou, and that was in her romantic interest toward Asahi.

And unfortunately in this manga that choice means death.

last edited at Apr 23, 2018 9:14AM

Img-20190201-wa0005
joined Sep 21, 2015

I didn't expect that.

This first comment always fit every chapter

Tag%20rock%20snake
joined Aug 16, 2014

I'm hoping Shouko isn't dead, the wound at least didn't seem too deep, so I'm hoping perhaps Satou just did enough to knock her out. Or maybe destroy her voicebox, so she couldn't talk. I feel like I'm hoping too much, but I just want her to not be dead.

risingstar3110
joined Feb 15, 2013

I'm hoping Shouko isn't dead, the wound at least didn't seem too deep, so I'm hoping perhaps Satou just did enough to knock her out. Or maybe destroy her voicebox, so she couldn't talk. I feel like I'm hoping too much, but I just want her to not be dead.

Sorry mate, I was hoping on that as well, but with that much blood loss and Satou’s more concerned about ridding off the evidences (taking off her clothes and such), Shouko is as dead as I could be.

Satou need to have some real medical skills and blood supply to even stabilise Shouko would, and then immediately get her an ambulance to the hospital. Even an ass-pulling will involve Satou and Shio on the move while an ambulance arrive on scene

last edited at Apr 23, 2018 10:56AM

schuyguy Uploader
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3at_Ev2kOoI

Tag%20rock%20snake
joined Aug 16, 2014

Sorry mate, I was hoping on that as well, but with that much blood loss and Satou’s more concerned about ridding off the evidences (taking off her clothes and such), Shouko is as dead as I could be.

Satou need to have some real medical skills and blood supply to even stabilise Shouko would, and then immediately get her an ambulance to the hospital. Even an ass-pulling will involve Satou and Shio on the move while an ambulance arrive on scene

Perhaps Asashi will rush to the apartment and rescue her? C'mon man, let me dream!

Img_20191208_235120
joined Nov 14, 2015

I am sitting here and hope that Satou's aunt comes back.

08f6612130a20845a480034c0567fbe1d8926209_hq
joined Apr 27, 2014

I think if Shouko hadn't rejected Sato she'd be fine and alive now, but oh well, people have to die a little in this sort of title so, I kinda sorta shipped them but Sato is well you see, different so I don't think that would of worked, anyway a double feature!! I am eager to watch the anime :D and to know more about Shio, where ya came from kiddo? her weirdo ass bro and well, if more about the aunt would be revealed... she's the sickest of them all I think.

08f6612130a20845a480034c0567fbe1d8926209_hq
joined Apr 27, 2014

She punctured that neck, then chopped, chopped, or rather pressed pressed, aka stabbed stabbed, or was it sort of stab/cutting?

She's DEAD AS DEAD CAN BE

Tag%20rock%20snake
joined Aug 16, 2014

From the looks of things, Shouko's heart was still beating on the final page that we saw her. Perhaps Satou found herself unable to actually kill her, so bandaged her wound and tied her up instead? I just want her to survive!

In fact, we could have some fun with this, come up with some Shouko-survival theories, play around with it!

To reply you must either login or sign up.