Forum › My Cute Little Kitten discussion

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

MrCatt posted:

About "Winning the cat": I'm afraid you confused 飼 and 勝, i.e. "own/raise [a pet]" vs "win".

No, t'was 勝ってる訳ないじゃん. With "勝".

First of all, it is actually "勝てる" not "勝ってる".
Second, "だからやだったの 子猫に勝てる訳ないじゃん…"
"That's why I was against it." "I knew I wouldn't be able to win against this kitten."
I'm a bit confused why she would regret the way things turned out. I'd probably need to read second chapter in it's entirely for more context, but she is pretty much referring to first chapter how she knew bringing a cat in, will disturb the status quo she was happy with and she even at the end admitted the only reason she confessed was because of the cat, as well as most likely making a double entendre about how she can't resist both Chibi and Rena. I guess she is still afraid Rena is mistaking her feelings of deep friendship for love and is just desperate for them to stay together as she is used to.
Third, "…もー… ホント… 勘弁して…"
Does in no way mean "Jeez... I'm sorry... Really sorry...", but "Jeez... Seriously... Give me a break..." since Rena just said she likes her back and then immediately fallen asleep. She isn't sorry about anything, which totally gives reader a different impression about her reaction and where the story could go.

I was defending you since even if I don't have to agree with your choices for words and liberties with sentences (adding stuff to them is another thing though), you still at least believed you were trying to convey original message. That is just blatantly misunderstanding/mistranslating it.

last edited at Mar 30, 2018 9:41AM

joined Jun 12, 2015

^If you wanted to TL this manga, why didn't you do it? I would help you with editing. I hope this won't make another drama. Like with the previous translator.

joined Apr 12, 2014

This is so mother fcking cute I need ch 3 asap

Nishiki%20gosu%20rori%20dark%20hair%20sm
joined Jan 11, 2015

@MrCatt
My bad. Didn't read the whole conversation. :p

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

h3x posted:

^If you wanted to TL this manga, why didn't you do it? I would help you with editing. I hope this won't make another drama. Like with the previous translator.

Because I'm always unmotivated, depressed and my real life sucks, so getting around to doing anything takes me forever. Ignoring other things that I'd want to do that keep on adding up, I already have 1 series I offered to do and I'm lagging behind with it, so until I'm done with that promising to do anything else would be just unreasonable from me. If someone who would do it faster and probably better than me would pick it up, I was all for it and didn't want to stop anyone from giving it a shot, by holding the series hostage by saying I'd do it eventually someday. The key word is "better". Since what we got ended up like this, I'm reconsidering it, especially since lately I do feel more motivated to actually do stuff.

joined Apr 12, 2014

Wall of text bashing the TL incoming.

Terrible TL and editing, but at least it's an update to an otherwise dead series. Next time, please don't try to add "funny" stuff that doesn't exist in the original text. Fannies, yes. Funnies, no.

So I decided to TL check the translation and editing. My non-edited TL below the moonrunes - current TL in (parentheses). My comments in [brackets].
Just to highlight a few things. Mostly bad things in the thought-boxes. Some things are decent but could use better editing.

TL;DR
Me just being an ass because someone wanted to be funny. My TL is probably shit as well.

Tools used: Google (dictionaries and stuff like that), Google translate, and my own extensive knowledge of Nipponese from having watched 250+ chinese cartoons.

page 2
panel 1 square box
朝が苦手なのは昔からで.
I've always been bad with mornings.
(I have always had some troubls with getting up.) [Probably doesn't need to be changed. Except for the spelling error.]

寮では毎日由奈に起こされてた.
Every day in the dormitory, Yuna would wake me up.
(That's why back then, at the dorm, Yuna had to wake me up every morning.) [Decent, I guess.]

panel 2 square box
だけど
However
(However) [However]

昨夜はー睡も出来なくて.
Last night I couldn't sleep at all.
(This time I didn't have the problem, since I didn't get a wink of sleep last night.) [Unnecessary addition of words that are nonexistant in the original text, even with the Japanese love for context based wordfuckery taken into consideration.]

panel 5 square box
死にたい.
I want to die.
(I wanna die.) [I guess.jpg]

page 3
panel 1 sfx thoughts 1
何言ってんだ----?!
What are you saying?!
(What the fuck didja say, you eejit?!) [Superb translation, dickwad.]

panel 1 speech bubble
まじ死にたい...
I really want to die...
(...Just... ...wanna... ...die...) [Too.... ....many..... .....fucking..... .....ellipses.......... Also should've kept the "really/seriously" (maji)]

panel 1 sfx thoughts 2
ありえね----!!!
No way!!!
(Go obliterate yourselff!!) [Just... no.]

panel 2 square box
ーとは言っても.
Although that's said. [Something like that.]
(However, I didn't kill myself, even though I so badly wanted to.) [Please...]

page 5
panel 1 square boxes
てゆうか...
I mean...
(Please someone give me the Delorean) [Now you're just making shit up.]
まじ...
Seriously...
(So I can go and smash my yestarday self hard) [YesTARDay, intentional or not - that is the question.]
昨夜の自分ぶっ飛ばしたい...
I want to beat up my last night's self... [or whatever you wanna translate buttobashitai as]
(Before she does anything stupid...) [Probably will. But that is not to be found in the original text or context.]

Time spent translating: a few minutes. Time spent drawing every single fucking moonrune into google translate: an alot of time.
I'll spare you all from me checking the rest of it (I just probably won't be arsed to check the rest of it).

Damn whoever did translations is kinda ...

62342532_p4_3
joined May 27, 2015

Wow yeah I came here a bit late, and I was going to roast the 2nd chapter's translation as well but it seems I was very badly beat to the punch.

bampot

I've never, ever seen this word before. Urbandictionary gave me "Glaswegian word for a "Headcase""

"eejit", "ye ain't" --> American South
"bampot", "blootered" --> Scotland
"hella" --> Northern California
"feck" --> Ireland

I saw the DeLorean (Back to the Future) reference and was amused. I was going to ask if BttF was really big in Japan or if Morinaga Milk just happened to be an otaku for it... then it turns out it was just the translator making shit up.

I feel like this was translated by the english equivalent of a weeaboo: doesn't actually know the language very well, throws in slang from all sorts of different dialects "because it's cool" so it's all over the place, sounds terrible to native (or even just semi-fluent) speakers. Reminds me of Commie. At least with bad professional dubs/subs/translations the translation is usually overlocalized to just one specific dialect of English.

And then people get defensive and go "hurr durr well translate it yourself!" But my passion for this manga is simply not high enough for me to take this project on. I feel like it's just a lazy way to dodge criticism of the translation. (I have actually walked the walk and translated stuff before. Search me up on this site)

last edited at Mar 30, 2018 7:49PM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

bampot

I've never, ever seen this word before. Urbandictionary gave me "Glaswegian word for a "Headcase""

Isn't Glaswegian considered obscene by definition? Kappa

62342532_p4_3
joined May 27, 2015

Kappa

What is this, Twitch? OMEGALUL

last edited at Mar 30, 2018 8:06PM

joined Jul 12, 2017

damn some people are really ungrateful! some guy went out if his way to translate a dropped manga and all some people can do is complain! If you want a better TL do one yourself .imo I liked the translation, although it was a bit weird in some places. it was something different from all the robotic and stiff TLs some people do.

last edited at Mar 31, 2018 1:56AM

Heihtzz
joined Oct 16, 2016

Kappa

What is this, Twitch? OMEGALUL

If this was twitch, everybody would just spam KappaPride.

Images
joined Dec 15, 2016

damn some people are really ungrateful! some guy went out if his way to translate a dropped manga and all some people can do is complain! If you want a better TL do one yourself .imo I liked the translation, although it was a bit weird in some places. it was something different from all the robotic and stiff TLs some people do.

You , I like you. I think the same, this manga has been dropped for quite some time and finally someone started translating this again but this ungrateful ****** only like to complain, It was the first time I saw something like this, I can't believe people would complain like little kids about the translating of a DROPPED manga

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

You , I like you. I think the same, this manga has been dropped for quite some time and finally someone started translating this again but this ungrateful ****** only like to complain, It was the first time I saw something like this, I can't believe people would complain like little kids about the translating of a DROPPED manga

You know, I very very rarely criticize translations. I sit still for spelling errors, awkward constructions that don't work in English, even bad grammar. But there has to be a limit somewhere, and this hit mine. As long as you're getting personal, I would in return go so far as to say that anyone who doesn't criticize this translation has no taste, feel for the English language or ear for dialogue.

last edited at Mar 31, 2018 4:03AM

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

TacoAlPastor posted:

Well if you don't care about quality of what you are reading, go ahead. In fact I already said so. But don't get angry that other people actually prefer to read what Morinaga wrote rather than someone's fanfiction.

last edited at Mar 31, 2018 5:16AM

themusicman500
Non-messed%20up%20face
joined Jan 18, 2016

At this point it's clear the uploader needs more experience with Japanese to English translation, and how scanlations are normally done. (as literally as possible while still reading naturally) That said, I enjoyed it and I don't think it was anywhere near as bad as people have said. Some definite problems and mistakes, but fanfiction? Devoid of taste or a feel for the English language? I don't think so. It's actually quite similar to how the Ace Attorney series of games is translated, with jokes and slang added in.

last edited at Mar 31, 2018 5:33AM

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

themusicman500 posted:

and how scanlations are normally done. (as literally as possible while still reading naturally)

If you think so, then you missed the point of entire discussion (and translation in general). Literal translation is not sign of good translation. In fact often you have to take some liberties with it, especially when you want to make it sound natural. Some things are just not possible to be straight translated and make sense. That being said, it doesn't mean you can just do w/e you want and excuse it by saying you can never do a perfect 1:1 translation.

Some definite problems and mistakes, but fanfiction? Devoid of taste or a feel for the English language? I don't think so.

It is one thing when you for example change 1 Japanese joke made by author into other joke that your targeted audience will be more familiar with. It is different thing when you simply add a joke that was never there to begin with, because you felt like it. I have nothing against localization done right (even if I dislike that kind of translation)

It's actually quite similar to how the Ace Attorney series of games is translated, with jokes and slang added in.

I personally think Ace Attorney translation is perfect example of issues with overlocalizing things. And again, the main issue with this translation is that it doesn't capture the tone and meaning of original, even if localized.

I simply don't want to read something and have to wonder all the time, which parts were actually there and which parts were added/changed significantly, because translator decided that is their style. If you are ok with reading that kind of translation, then go ahead. Don't stop people from wanting to read something that actually reflect the original.

62342532_p4_3
joined May 27, 2015

I personally think Ace Attorney translation is perfect example of issues with overlocalizing things. And again, the main issue with this translation is that it doesn't capture the tone and meaning of original, even if localized.

UranusAndNeptuneAreJustCousins
joined Sep 6, 2015

Yes, imagine some of us wanting to read this work as closely as to what Morinaga actually wrote. Outrages idea, I know. In all seriousness, what Purple Library Guy said is true, there has to be some limit. Driven home all the more by the fact Dynasty usually does not upload stuff like this, which is also the reason why this example is so conspicuous.

The typos and the weird, clumsy sentence construction are not even that big of a deal, it is the translator's choice to expand the written text with their own stuff and references, and to sprinkle it with a dose of cussing, because they like cussing. How anyone could defend this is, quite frankly, beyond me. And that is the thing, I have yet to see anyone defending the translation, instead people are harping on about "dead series be grateful blabla".

There are a lot of people who do not know the intricacies of how scanlation works, a lot of readers who do not frequent the Forum, they will read this thing, and assume Morinaga decided it was high time she got a little bit vulgar. And that she is a "Back to the Future" fan as well, as Mayjaplaya demonstrated above.

Edit: Also, since page 7 of this thread, 90% of discussion is about the translation and not the story itself. That should tell you something.

last edited at Mar 31, 2018 8:56AM

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Mayjaplaya posted:

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/001/166/983/3ca.png

Yes. That x3

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

As someone who grew up on what I call "dark ages dubs" of anime that changed all sorts of shit around (Battle of the Planets, Warriors of the Wind, the disastrous dub of Galaxy Express that gave Harlock a John Wayne accent, Carl "Chainsaw" Macek's Robotech, etc.), I for one really appreciate the people who call for accuracy and maintaining the feel of the original. I've seen how bad it can get.

Localization will always be necessary. Some jokes and concepts translate poorly. But we're here because we want the original author's writing, not the translator's. Settling for less because scraps are good enough is a bad precedent to set.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Mayjaplaya posted:

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/001/166/983/3ca.png

Yes. That x3

Just remember the horrors that could have been.

joined Jul 12, 2017

Yes, imagine some of us wanting to read this work as closely as to what Morinaga actually wrote. Outrages idea, I know. In all seriousness, what Purple Library Guy said is true, there has to be some limit. Driven home all the more by the fact Dynasty usually does not upload stuff like this, which is also the reason why this example is so conspicuous.

The typos and the weird, clumsy sentence construction are not even that big of a deal, it is the translator's choice to expand the written text with their own stuff and references, and to sprinkle it with a dose of cussing, because they like cussing. How anyone could defend this is, quite frankly, beyond me. And that is the thing, I have yet to see anyone defending the translation, instead people are harping on about "dead series be grateful blabla".

There are a lot of people who do not know the intricacies of how scanlation works, a lot of readers who do not frequent the Forum, they will read this thing, and assume Morinaga decided it was high time she got a little bit vulgar. And that she is a "Back to the Future" fan as well, as Mayjaplaya demonstrated above.

Edit: Also, since page 7 of this thread, 90% of discussion is about the translation and not the story itself. That should tell you something.

if you have so problems with it then try to TL it yourself. This guy didn't have to do anything, this manga has been dropped for a while, he could've just let it be and most of use here wouldn't have even known about its existence. I have some problems with the translation but I can still appreciate the fact that I'm actually reading this.
I reallt hate when people act entitled, especially when this guy is doing this for free, he gets nothing out of translating this and sharing it with everyone. Constructive criticism is perfectly ok, but I think the point was made clear with the first few posts, anyway I would like to see more discussion about the manga or author, not about how disappointed people are about their free manga they have instant access to.

UranusAndNeptuneAreJustCousins
joined Sep 6, 2015

if you have so problems with it then try to TL it yourself. This guy didn't have to do anything, this manga has been dropped for a while, he could've just let it be and most of use here wouldn't have even known about its existence. I have some problems with the translation but I can still appreciate the fact that I'm actually reading this.
I reallt hate when people act entitled, especially when this guy is doing this for free, he gets nothing out of translating this and sharing it with everyone. Constructive criticism is perfectly ok, but I think the point was made clear with the first few posts, anyway I would like to see more discussion about the manga or author, not about how disappointed people are about their free manga they have instant access to.

I will just quote Nez, because she summarised the crux of it:

...call for accuracy and maintaining the feel of the original.

But we're here because we want the original author's writing, not the translator's. Settling for less because scraps are good enough is a bad precedent to set.

Also, the things the translator was receptive about were mainly the typos, which are minor stuff here. The fact they liberally added to the existing text is something they defended. Plus, the fact their localisations are all over the place without any internal consistency is also an issue they do not seem to care all that much about. It conveys nothing about the characters, it feels jarring, and it clashes horribly with the previous chapter. And they do not seem to care. If you want to read a MrCatt manga with Morinaga's drawing, be my guest, personally, I would like to read Morinaga.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

pomf posted:

if you have so problems with it then try to TL it yourself.

Yea, because I can't just point out something is wrong without actually fixing the issue myself.

This guy didn't have to do anything, this manga has been dropped for a while, he could've just let it be and most of use here wouldn't have even known about its existence. I have some problems with the translation but I can still appreciate the fact that I'm actually reading this.

And I said multiple times it is perfectly fine. You are the one telling me I should shut up and be happy with something of poor quality instead of asking for improvement. Still doesn't change the fact it feels like I didn't read the actual chapter 2 in the end, so what's the difference though?

I reallt hate when people act entitled

Criticizing something = being entitled. kk

especially when this guy is doing this for free, he gets nothing out of translating this and sharing it with everyone.

And that somehow make him immune to being criticize.

Constructive criticism is perfectly ok, but I think the point was made clear with the first few posts, anyway I would like to see more discussion about the manga or author, not about how disappointed people are about their free manga they have instant access to.

And it is somehow our fault that instead of doing so, people like you keep coming here defending this translation and saying we are overreacting, instead of, you know, talking about chapter.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

This guy didn't have to do anything, this manga has been dropped for a while, he could've just let it be and most of use here wouldn't have even known about its existence. I have some problems with the translation but I can still appreciate the fact that I'm actually reading this.

And I said multiple times it is perfectly fine. You are the one telling me I should shut up and be happy with something of poor quality instead of asking for improvement. Still doesn't change the fact it feels like I didn't read the actual chapter 2 in the end, so what's the difference though?

Hey, c'mon. They're just trying to make scanlation groups' lives easier. Just think how many more releases they'll be able to do once they understand that we humble serfs are willing to accept a quick Google translate and making up material on the fly to fill in the gaps. The time saved by not bothering with QC alone will be incredible! So think of it as a public service.

In fact, I've got the perfect template for future projects right here.

To reply you must either login or sign up.