Forum › Eve and Eve discussion

joined Jan 10, 2017

Eh, I didn't like it. I maybe would have bought the premise more if they'd gone through thousands of years, but a few decades? They basically didn't like being satellites/having machine bodies and regretted it. Nothing to do with "eternal" whatever crap. It was a few decades, and they wasted their mission whatever it may have been. Lame.

Credit
joined Jul 14, 2013

I'm confused...

Hinataskype
joined May 26, 2011

Eh, I didn't like it. I maybe would have bought the premise more if they'd gone through thousands of years, but a few decades? They basically didn't like being satellites/having machine bodies and regretted it. Nothing to do with "eternal" whatever crap. It was a few decades, and they wasted their mission whatever it may have been. Lame.

they were absorbing knowledge of everything. learning everything. that's billions of people worth of knowledge, it was almost like living an eternity and then some. That'd be a lot to take on for anyone.

joined Mar 13, 2016

was that the couple from The Heir of the Curse? in the middle part

Snowfox
joined Jan 31, 2015

I think the best part of this was that reference to Eiko and Leeza on the last page. That made me laugh. The rest just made me feel kinda ... woogly -- butterflies, discomfort, and dread all rolled together.

F6027a7c125b156932db27aa264cfb2a
joined Jul 3, 2015

Two references to previous works in this. Though its a bit sad one of them dies from the heir of the curse story.

joined Jan 10, 2017

they were absorbing knowledge of everything. learning everything. that's billions of people worth of knowledge, it was almost like living an eternity and then some. That'd be a lot to take on for anyone.

Well they have human brains and the brain can't do that. It didn't look to me like they were experiencing everything, but being used in the process, you see them metaphorically reading tapes, like they can pick out information to look at--not that they were actually experiencing everything. Their personalities would have been instantly obliterated if they experienced everything even for a second, lol.

last edited at Mar 24, 2018 2:45PM

Img_20180401_104003
joined Nov 26, 2017

this reminds me a story from black mirror netflix series ( Season 3 Episode 4, San Junipero)

Stardusttelepath8
joined Oct 15, 2014

The brains are touching

joined Jan 10, 2017

The brains are touching

LEWD

TifalovesAerith
joined May 7, 2017

what a sad take

Images%20(2)
joined Feb 9, 2016
  • reads tags *
  • gets a bad feeling* comes to comment section Yeaah.. I think I will pass on this one
Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

I originally thought it'd be about a similar story as the romance in Adam-Troy Castro's Andrea Cort, where it's about lovers literally becoming one, and whether that's "the ultimate expression of love or the ultimate failure of love".

As it actually was ... nice enough, but nothing I'll remember long, I think. Just kinda "OK, fair enough ... moving on then".

Lejupiel%c4%81de
joined Jan 18, 2018

Ah,this is kind of beautiful,in its own way.

this reminds me a story from black mirror netflix series ( Season 3 Episode 4, San Junipero)

I cried when I watched that episode. So beautiful. An exception to other episodes with rather bad endings.
Black Mirror is very good and doesn't take too much time to go through all 4 seasons,definitely recommend to watch it to anyone who hasn't.

C2731dea4191b182ecd8f18498562a84
joined Sep 1, 2017

Well they have human brains and the brain can't do that. It didn't look to me like they were experiencing everything, but being used in the process, you see them metaphorically reading tapes, like they can pick out information to look at--not that they were actually experiencing everything. Their personalities would have been instantly obliterated if they experienced everything even for a second, lol.

The human brain seems like a lousy choice, for that kind of work. The brain just could not handle that much data flow. A regular computer, with massive storage, would be perfect that purpose. Come to think of it. Why the heck would they put something like that in space, where it's vulnerable to space hazards? Shouldn't stuff like that be built in underground bunkers.

last edited at Mar 24, 2018 4:36PM

A
joined May 24, 2013

It was a few decades, and they wasted their mission whatever it may have been. Lame.

That was the whole point of the story; in the end, their "eternity" together didn't last any longer than a normal human lifetime. They had to give up something very important to achieve their immortality, and probably would have been happier by just living a normal life together.

joined Sep 1, 2017

Becoming immortal, and existing for eternity among the stars. Destind to be together, with the one you love, for ever, but just out of each other's reach. That sounds like a divine punishment from the gods. Honestly, who would choose an existence like that. To me that's a fate worse than death.

last edited at Mar 24, 2018 6:36PM

Image62
joined Feb 28, 2015

The Heir of The Curse refference was good but the rest was meh. At least author tried to make something different. And did they only observe gay couples?

%e3%83%81%e3%83%83%e3%83%86%e3%82%a3
joined May 10, 2015

Horrendous.

Img-20190201-wa0005
joined Sep 21, 2015

At first I though they were tricked onto doing it.. but then.. what a crazy story.

Yeah.. I wonder why she died.. the curse didn't shorten the life span or anything...

The Heir of The Curse refference was good but the rest was meh. At least author tried to make something different. And did they only observe gay couples?

Lmao I imagine the face of the scientists reading lots of data about gay couples thinking "wtf more than 10 billion dollars spent in this project just for this information?"

last edited at Mar 24, 2018 5:51PM

Sin%20t%c3%adtulo-min
joined Sep 28, 2011

As always, this author is an acid trip

joined Sep 23, 2017

The human brain seems like a lousy choice, for that kind of work. The brain just could not handle that much data flow. A regular computer, with massive storage, would be perfect that purpose. Come to think of it. Why the heck would they put something like that in space, where it's vulnerable to space hazards? Shouldn't stuff like that be built in underground bunkers.

The human brain, currently, is actually much better at parallel processing than a computer.
One might imagine that aspect was why a human brain was incorporated.

Stardusttelepath8
joined Oct 15, 2014

Yeah.. I wonder why she died.. the curse didn't shorten the life span or anything...

Given that it's more of a cameo than a straight-up continuation, there's probably no real connection to the curse thing (assuming that these even are the same characters). Just the message that even though their time together was short (the exact time being pretty vague), every moment was worth it.

Download%20(11)
joined Jan 27, 2016

What the....

joined Sep 1, 2017

The human brain, currently, is actually much better at parallel processing than a computer.
One might imagine that aspect was why a human brain was incorporated.

True, the human brain is better at parallel processing, but I don't think it could handle the trillions of bits of data flooding in every second. Processing huge amounts of data fast, is why we invented the computer, in the first place.

To reply you must either login or sign up.