Forum › The Sunset, Aromas, and the Signs of Love discussion

joined Apr 25, 2017

I thought Plot Device-kun was a butch girl with a short haircut for the first couple of pages they were in.

Wrong comment. soz

joined Apr 25, 2017

Define butch. Is butch the way you look, or the way you act or your role in bed?

It can be either one of those things, both, or neither depending on whom you ask and the context you ask them in.

It's a nebulous term and there's no indication Nezchan was using it with any prejudicial intentions or connotations.

Nah nah nah. Didn't mean it that way. Was just confused over the meaning lol

Capture%20_2018-03-05-21-59-51~2_resized
joined Apr 28, 2016

Define butch. Is butch the way you look, or the way you act or your role in bed?

It can be either one of those things, both, or neither depending on whom you ask and the context you ask them in.

It's a nebulous term and there's no indication Nezchan was using it with any prejudicial intentions or connotations.

Alright, then since this manga didn't feature any sex and Nanase hadn't had much character development at that point, then Nezchan's usage would be largely based on his appearance.

He does have some slightly feminine physical characteristics.

last edited at Feb 27, 2018 2:24PM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Alright, then since this manga didn't feature any sex and Nanase hadn't had much character development at that point, then Nezchan's usage would be largely based on his appearance.

He does have some slightly feminine physical characteristics.

Not to mention, the only indication that it's not an all-girls' school is one small glimpse of him wearing pants. All you see is girls, guys aren't referred to as classmates, and the upper part of the uniforms are the same (blazer, tie, sweater). So up until page 7 it's pretty hard to tell.

joined May 7, 2017

Pretty good overall other than this forced male character

joined Nov 7, 2017

Honestly until the scene where he confessed and you see his trousers... I though Kou was a girl.

joined May 24, 2015

Tbh, I though plot-device-kun was a girl the entire time. I've been reading too many Yuri's where the Butch one likes to dress in boys uniform. Either that or I've gotten too used to the stigma of having next to no males in the main cast of a Yuri manga (also know as Yuru Yuri syndrome, or "404, men not found")

last edited at Feb 27, 2018 7:57PM

Tumblr_n9sro872gt1twyetfo4_250
joined Feb 27, 2018

This is super cute and refreshing. I hope the side tracked confession doesn't become a bigger problem down the line though

joined Oct 26, 2016

His "like" might have a meaning of friendship

No, it's clear that it was a love confession.

The question is, how serious was the confession. It definitely was one, but he knows her pretty well by now and how she's not interested in guys. He seems pretty perceptive, and knows that the two of them are on the verge of a romantic relationship but just need to push through that last barrier between them.

My thought is that he's Good Guy Plot Device-kun, giving a confession in order to force her to make the decision to be firm about dating his cousin.

This was exactly how I saw it. They seem to be close friends already, so if he really did like her he would have known just by past experience and her interactions with his sister that he basically had no chance. He was already pushing them towards each other and the confession was the final nudge while simultaneously letting go of any affection he had by getting a rejection.

I'm always open to more wingman guys in yuri as long as they don't mess up any yuri pair with sudden het.

last edited at Feb 28, 2018 12:23AM

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Wait, that was a guy? I just figured it was one of those "prince-type" girls!

joined Sep 4, 2016

Nanase deserves some more love than he's getting from some of the comments. Dude was super chill and supportive of someone he clearly liked while finding out she was attracted to someone of not only the same sex, but a family member as well. In the real world, most guys would not handle a situation in such a classy and mature manner.

joined Jul 26, 2016

Legit can't tell how much of Good Guy Kou's confession was genuine and how much was "just" aiming to push Hana into coming to terms with her feelings. If he did have a romantic interest in her he was clearly already gracefully resigned to defeat, though. (I also got the feeling he thought Shiori was being both kinda unfair to Hana and dishonest with herself, what with pretty much leading the younger girl on and then pulling the old "I'm not worthy" card when the push came to shove...)

Dynasty%20avatar
joined Sep 10, 2017

It is not only Age Gap, it is also Gap Moe !!! (lol Shiori-chan act like an adult will ya?)

Honoka%201
joined Jun 23, 2015

This was quite good. Author seems promising, the art is appealing and easily discernible, pacing as fluid as a current and characters engaging. Definitely keeping an eye from now on.

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

I am very surprised Nanase was a boy's name and not just a tomboy girl. I would think of Nanase as a girl's name only

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

I am very surprised Nanase was a boy's name and not just a tomboy girl. I would think of Nanase as a girl's name only

Isn't it his family name?

joined Apr 28, 2016

Nanase deserves some more love than he's getting from some of the comments. Dude was super chill and supportive of someone he clearly liked while finding out she was attracted to someone of not only the same sex, but a family member as well. In the real world, most guys would not handle a situation in such a classy and mature manner.

Peoples' reaction to him in the thread has been bugging me, too.

But this is a yuri-oriented site and "men automatically = bad" is the common sentiment here.

last edited at Mar 1, 2018 7:11AM

Webp.net-resizeimage%20(1)
joined Jan 7, 2018

ITS LIKE am i the only one who like to have Guys in yuri stories ? its really wayyyy hotter to have straight girls turning gay and the guys be like "Shit, we can't enter their territory" than to have a universe of lesbian girls with no guys at all ..but I do know the rage when a guy wins and the straight girl rejects the gay girl xD

last edited at Mar 1, 2018 8:51AM

Webp.net-resizeimage%20(1)
joined Jan 7, 2018

I think if the boy confessed before she could meet the manager girl she would had accepted..its like if you love her what da heck with the "go find a boyfriend"..

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Gender aside (for a second), Nanase is also the "third wheel" (or "friendzoned latent third leg of hypothetical love triangle") character--in love with/attracted to the protagonist, but simply never a candidate for the final picture. That character can either be a hindrance, a neutral part of the background, or a helper for the OTP.

In those terms, Nanase is a awfully solid citizen of Yuriland here, whatever might be underneath those trousers.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Gender aside (for a second), Nanase is also the "third wheel" (or "friendzoned latent third leg of hypothetical love triangle") character--in love with/attracted to the protagonist, but simply never a candidate for the final picture. That character can either be a hindrance, a neutral part of the background, or a helper for the OTP.

In those terms, Nanase is a awfully solid citizen of Yuriland here, whatever might be underneath those trousers.

It's a little like Crescent Sweet Honey except nobody is actually in love with (or thinks they're in love with) Nanase. But he doesn't seem to mind especially.

joined Apr 28, 2016

ITS LIKE am i the only one who like to have Guys in yuri stories ? its really wayyyy hotter to have straight girls turning gay and the guys be like "Shit, we can't enter their territory" than to have a universe of lesbian girls with no guys at all ..but I do know the rage when a guy wins and the straight girl rejects the gay girl xD

Nakatani Nio and Canno had an interesting discussion on the subject during an interview. The latter specifically wrote AnoKiss as a girl-only universe because she likes girls, but the former created a "co-ed" universe because she wanted to show lesbian characters explicitly choosing to be with girls.

In a world where there are also men, I want girls to be chosen anyway.

I like seeing straight guys and girls get along with lesbians (and gay guys (and any other orientation/gender combination)). That's why I'm so fond of this story.

There are a lot of interesting character interactions to be had between straight guys and gay girls beyond "guy is a romantic rival and therefore bad". Same goes for relationships between straight girls and gay girls.

last edited at Mar 1, 2018 12:08PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

There are a lot of interesting character interactions to be had between straight guys and gay girls beyond "guy is a romantic rival and therefore bad". Same goes for relationships between straight girls and gay girls.

Absolutely. Somebody really needs to do an overview on the Straight Yuri Wingperson--I'm a total sucker for "I figured you guys were going out, but have you Gone All The Way yet?" scenes, as in Hana and Hina After School and Kase-san.

joined Apr 28, 2016

YES. I love reading about wingmen/wingwomen almost as much as I love reading about lesbians.

Satoko is bae.

last edited at Mar 1, 2018 11:42AM

Profile160x160
joined Nov 20, 2014

I thought Plot Device-kun was a girl up until it was stated otherwise in the credits. I mean, what with Nanase being a female name and all it just didn't even recognize as possible.

As for the story itself it felt rushed. Nothing happened, then something did happen, then it was over. You never get to see anything about why Hana fell in love with Shiori in the first place, neither anything about why Shiori fell in love back. Rather lackluster if you ask me.

To reply you must either login or sign up.