Forum › Sayuri’s Little Sister Is An Angel discussion

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

So this was cute. I hadn't read any of it until the finale just got posted, but it's pretty adorbs.

I think the people trying to find a reason behind Oga being able to see the wings are overthinking it. Sayuri says it towards the end. "You knew I'd give up if I was alone." Oga was the first other person to see Mikoto and the closest thing Sayuri had to a friend at the start. I don't know if Mikoto consciously chose her, or if she just unconsciously wanted -somebody- else to know she was an angel, but either way, she could see them because she was allowed to.

Which I found kind of disappointing...Closing in on the ending, I was expecting that the sister would pass on, and we would find out that Oga was Sayuri's fated partner. But ah well. Ship sunk.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Good series with a rushed but mostly satisfying ending. I am still a little confused about Oga being able to see the wings. It might have something to do with caring about the person? Like, obviously Sayuri cares about Mikoto, but maybe since Oga is so kind that she has a general level of sincere caring for other people that she can already see Mikoto's wings from the start. It could have something to do with being a lesbian I guess, but Kusanagi couldn't see Mikoto's wings. So it must be something to do with the relationship to the character.

The other thing I don't get is that Kusanagi saw Sayuri as an angel during their school days. That supports the idea that seeing the wings is down to caring about the character. It kind of creates a new problem, though, because what are the wings caused by? Nobody sees Sayuri as an angel at any other point in the story, so it's not a permanent thing. Was seeing Sayuri as an angel just a kind of metaphorical thing due to falling in love or whatever? Because that seems out of place in a story where Mikoto's wings are real and physical. I basically guessed the ending pretty early on and I always assumed the wings are due to having a proximity to death or being in a borderline state like a coma. But Sayuri having the wings in the past complicates that explanation.

The wings seem to be inconsistent between Sayuri and Mikoto. Mikoto is aware of her wings, while Sayuri appeared to not notice them. That would seem to indicate that Kusanagi imagined seeing Sayuri as an angel due to love. Again, though, why include a detail like that in the story when Mikoto really did appear as an angel? If Sayuri really did have the wings once, then we need a new explanation for the wings. It could be an emotional thing like experiencing despair or depression. I don't know, I'm not having any great ideas.

Sayuri's "wings" and Mikoto's wings aren't the same thing. Mikoto was a literal angel, a disembodied spirit empowered by a god to be able to visit and live with her sister for a year. Her wings were an actual physical part of herself. The wings on Sayuri were symbolic. They were either a trick of the light, through the camera lens, or a figment of Kusanagi's somewhat unhinged imagination, but either way, different thing.

last edited at Jan 21, 2018 5:48PM

BokujouMonogatari
joined Aug 27, 2017

even i can see how it will end, still a nice read, maybe because of itou.

Rx_5_50
joined May 3, 2016

So I went back the Marguerite chapter, and was pleasantly surprised to see that the picture of Sayuri and Kusanagi in highschool was shown right after Kusanagi's introduction. That as well as the other picture's of Sayuri on the field trip.

last edited at Jan 23, 2018 8:36PM

joined Jul 17, 2016

I am so glad I set aside the time to reread the whole manga from start to finish instead of jumping straight into the new chapters. Reading the previous volumes reminded me how cute, funny, and fluffy this manga was. I loved all the characters and the abundant pages dedicated to fleshing out their flaws and development. The manga did a fantastic job of showing how everyone wears a mask and the fear of revealing one's true self. Oga adopted the boyish prince role because she was too kind to disappoint people's expectations. Himeko surrounded herself with cute things because she valued the opinions of others more than her own. Kusanagi-san was so lonely, that she believed the only solution was to embrace the loneliness and keep people at a distance. With the exception of Sayuri, same sex and incest romances seemed to be the least of their worries, which was a refreshing change of pace. They all eventually came to terms with their individuality and what it meant to accept yourself despite how others may react. My only complaint was that the side characters didn't get much screen time after their initial lengthy story arcs. It would have been nice to see more of Oga and Himeko in particular.

The drama was generally believable and resolved somewhat realistically. In my opinion, Itou used drama as a tool to grow each character rather than just for the sake of advancing the plot. Mikoto's constant adorable hijinks provided comedic relief and prevented the manga from becoming too serious... except from chapter 19 onward. I felt my heart sinking as the chapter progressed, and I cried when Sayuri woke up alone. To be honest, I already suspected that Mikoto was dead after the first few chapters. There were plenty of hints and foreshadowing that Mikoto's time on Earth was limited. However, because of the manga's over saturated cuteness and the lighthearted drama, I wasn't prepared for the truth to finally be acknowledged. A small part of me hoped that Mikoto would just stay an angel forever. I struggled to get through chapter 20 and 21 because I genuinely believed that Mikoto was gone for good. I think my mind immediately jumped to the worst conclusion because I was afraid of getting my hopes crushed. This made the ending that much more sweet, and this time I was crying tears of joy. This manga has definitely become one of my favorites.

last edited at Jan 24, 2018 1:17AM

joined Jul 14, 2016

I remember loving this since the first chapter, not because the incest nor the age gap (which are two of my favs), But because of both how sweet the characters and their relatiobships are, and how muchos i love Itou Hachi's art.
I too feel like the ending was a bit rushed, But I didn't feel dissapointed at all.
All I wanted was a happy ending, and Itou delivered :)
I'll be reading It al over again until I call asleep.
The cuteness in this manga is Just so much.

Fb_img_1518235493847
joined Dec 4, 2017

Wow!!! I finally finish all the chapters, and it was so sad!!!!! ;-; I was crying !!! I was like " WOAH WHAT THE HECK DID MIKOTO DIED?!?! " but she didn't xD but yoooo!!! This yuri is the best man!!!

joined Jul 11, 2015

it gives angsty feels.. great series.... but........ they never get sex in the end xD i just thought this will be a long series, it would be nice if it is.. i dont have enoguh of them.. maybe a sequel?

Sin%20t%c3%adtulo
joined Apr 24, 2014

It would be nice to get something like a one shot for Oga and Himeko, and maybe let us know a bit of what life is like for Sayuri and Mikoto after all this

joined Oct 13, 2015

I doubt many in the comments will agree but i was dissapointed with the ending.
She had her wish to see her sister, sayuri to reconcile with her father, learn that the world was not so bad, make friends, care for others, sayuri met someone who was einterested in her as well.

It would have been more moving if she were dead. Imagine the punch that would have had. Instead it finishes with 'the power of love' as the panacea.

I did enjoy this. And i do like most of the characters, including mikoto. Imdon't wish for her death but i think the alternative ending would have been more memorable.

CertainPudding
joined Jan 9, 2018

She had her wish to see her sister, sayuri to reconcile with her father, learn that the world was not so bad, make friends, care for others, sayuri met someone who was einterested in her as well.

It would have been more moving if she were dead. Imagine the punch that would have had. Instead it finishes with 'the power of love' as the panacea.

I did enjoy this. And i do like most of the characters, including mikoto. Imdon't wish for her death but i think the alternative ending would have been more memorable.

You know what? Only tragedies could make a story great again. insert Gen Urobochi and his Madoka Magica

Webp.net-resizeimage%20(1)
joined Jan 7, 2018

just reread this masterpiece, easily one of my favs. people complained about the ending being rushed but i actually think it was fine, i don't feel it needed to drag on more than that, and Sayuri finally realized her feelings for Mikoto in the end.
the only thing that really bothered me about this manga is not continuing on with the side couples. the chemistry between Himeko and Oga was just so wonderful. having Himeko realizing that she should follow what she wants and not just satisfying people's view towards her by falling in love with a girl which she never thought she would actually does was a nice, and also Oga learned that she should be more honest to herself too, i just wish there was a bonus chapter about them where Himeko confesses or Oga falls n love with Himeko. but still, what a wonderful work by itou hachi.

last edited at Jul 15, 2018 10:14PM

Yuri_is_the_best
Dxuhm6xuyaalbg9
joined Aug 30, 2018

I know this could have ended depressingly but I don't think my heart could take it, Mikoto is just too precious and Sayuri really needs to feel loved. Also Kusanagi will be so confused with her blank photographs of Mikoto

Popte_pop_54
joined Jun 25, 2019

Dayum.
At least we didn't get Honey Crushed. But yet again.

Oga, why can she see and remember Makoto? This became rather handy at the end, but even then, according to concept art it was planned for only Sayuri to see her that way. Her side plot got sidelined somewhat as well.

And Kusanagi. Her introduction came out of nowhere and she didn't add much to the plot, expect... well expect for the fact that for a short moment she saw something in Sayuri, what she and Oga saw in Makoto. This is Inception-level ominous as fuck.
Oh and I like to know what she thinks about the blanks she shot during her sessions with Makoto. Surely not that she has finally lost it. Not that as a result she thinks her making up with Sayuri was just wishful thinking and relapses.

Taking both into consideration, it feels like a sequel is coming.

last edited at Jul 24, 2019 10:43PM

Img-20190201-wa0005
joined Sep 21, 2015

Theories about the "You knew I would give up if I was alone":

Theory 1: Mikoto thought Sayuki would not go to heaven because she had deep sorrow and loneliness and she was going to suicide (meaning not going to heaven).

Theory 2: She made it so Oga could see her and remember her too, because "she knew she would give up" believing she could find Mikoto if she was all alone. If Oga wasn't there, she wouldn't have called her father and would have kept thinking she passed on.

Her dad DID ABANDON HER THOUGH. Okey you can't keep the custody, I understand, but how can you cut all contact with her? Don't you care how she is doing? She left her all alone and there's no argument against that.

Anyways, I'm glad they can be happy tigether at least the maybe little time Mikoto has left to live

last edited at Sep 17, 2019 5:36PM

joined Sep 13, 2018

I knew she would be like dead since chapter 1 , but i just expected god to give ir a whole lifetime to expend with sayuri or for her to become a demon and last longer in the human world.
Instead she is just in a coma out of nowhere and also alive even trough it was hinted she died until the last 2 chapters.

Shithead
joined Oct 23, 2018

at times this had me cracking the fuck up with some of the absurd shit that gets said. but i won't front this was good

joined Apr 29, 2021

Yuri at its finest

20210429_051959
joined May 18, 2021

God damnit this ending (╥﹏╥)

joined Apr 20, 2021

It was a good read, but honestly the way how the supernatural angel part was handled was pretty meh. It was introduced and then almost completely ignored until last 3 chapters. The other 18 chapters could stay exactly the same if Mikoto wasn't an angel, but just came over to find her sister.

joined Sep 2, 2021

Damn, that was the best!

Enanano
joined Oct 16, 2020

Crying omfg i cant anymore it was a great read im crying aaa

last edited at Dec 12, 2021 9:38PM

Pocchi-avatar2
joined Jun 15, 2021

Wow, this is the first manga that made me shed a few tears. Mikoto having a coma is a much better plot than the cliche dead sister or lover coming back as an angel. Itou Hachi never let me down (so far).

last edited at Jan 15, 2022 10:31AM

ClockworkRaven
Ana_wolf
joined Jan 4, 2022

Phew, I was prepared for this to go badly. I'm not always a fan of incest in manga, too often authors use it as an excuse to show mental derangment or sexual deviancy. If it's portrayed in a wholesome light, as any good yuri romance should be, then it hits differently. I was glad this had a happy, romantic ending because I was seriously gonna cry if Sayuri kissed Mikoto, she woke up and then died.

Maidpfpsmol
joined Jun 29, 2020

sadge

To reply you must either login or sign up.