Forum › Hanakaku - The Last Girl Standing discussion

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

So how realistic will this thing be? She's proven she can't dodge Aki forever (her only skill) and Aki's the best at ground work in the whole gym. So if she is indeed "in a match with" Aki "in eight days," realistically, she'll get her little hamster ass beat again.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

I wonder about that too... I actually wanted to see the hamster (not in a sadistic way) get hurt and see how she overcomes that fear because so far we've seen her evading and doing common 1,2,3,1,2,3 training, but she hasn't even been in a practice match yet so a week is not enough to get ready and it would be pretty unrealistic if she wins, heck she's gonna have a hard time lasting two rounds.

I wanted Hanaka to have her first time with Koharu <3 Getting hit I mean and then have a little drama there... BUT NAAAAAAAAAAH new girl had to come and ruin everything, well is not really ruined (just my fantasies) but now I'm a little worried about how things will play out.

joined Dec 4, 2016

I think the new girl is chunin lol. I must say all characters beside MC are pretty boring. the MC are more likeable and just so cute.

A2bcf11834a1918b3f09b4219b2a099f_r
joined Aug 16, 2014

The best outcome would be someone who's good at striking knocks her silly, then breaks her arm(s) to see how she likes it.

That sounds a tad overboard.

This Aki girl really needs to take care of this attitude of hers though.

joined Dec 4, 2016

The best outcome would be someone who's good at striking knocks her silly, then breaks her arm(s) to see how she likes it.

That's anime/manga cliche characters who think they own the whole profession or hobby and act like an authority, it's so stupid. Worse is dumb anime people respect this kind of character, people with mental problem.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

"And then, the MC gave up MMA and choose to do flower arrangement instead and participate in the inter-high of flower arrangement..."

Duh... as if.

It's really a basic sports manga, but basic is good when done well.

For now, it's average/good.

Espurr%20sparkle
joined May 30, 2013

So how realistic will this thing be? She's proven she can't dodge Aki forever (her only skill) and Aki's the best at ground work in the whole gym. So if she is indeed "in a match with" Aki "in eight days," realistically, she'll get her little hamster ass beat again.

Maybe it's a kickboxing match. Hana will pull the upset that McGregor couldn't, and knock Aki out with a straight left from hell.

Aki is the kind of person who would heel hook white belts. What a pain. That crucifix position require incredibly long limbs for there to be a clean blood choke. Most of the time, it just turns into a neck crank/trachea crush, which is an absolute asshole move to pull on first week white belts. On the other hand, this is why people should learn to tap with their feet too.

Aki is everything I hate about the sport, in BJJ and MMA. The idea that one has to earn their skill going through pain and more pain, and if they can't take it then they're simply not good enough. Getting hurt during rolling has got to be one of the stupidest ways to injure yourself, and hurting people who are less skilled than you during rolling is the stupidest thing one could do to make yourself feel better.

On another note, Hana has better sprawl reflexes than I do. It's hard to teach a proper shot and it's hard to teach a proper sprawl in BJJ, because it's not the focus of the roll. It seems that Hana was just inexperienced and lost her balance on the sprawl, but sometimes against a hard shot one just have to sprawl that hard. Because some shots come fast, especially in the US where every college-age grappler has about 4 years of wrestling experience. Seeing Hana sprawl that hard is almost beautiful. I don't think I've ever seen a white belt with no prior martial arts experience show such great sprawl senses, but I guess that's why this is a manga.

last edited at Dec 31, 2017 3:01AM

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

As impossible as it might be, I would love to see hamster beating the crap out of Aki just for fun... I can't wait for this conflict to be over

last edited at Jan 2, 2018 9:36PM

Tumblr_inline_oxf1gj0pl71rjsbp5_400
joined Jun 23, 2017

I kind of love the "I wish to be stronger" general feeling that comes out of this manga, both mentally and physically, I can relate a lot.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Seriously what the hell is wrong with Aki? Hanaka very clearly wants to get stronger but she has no confidence because she's new to this. That has absolutely shit all to do with her determination. And shitting one someone who's new to a skill for somehow not being good enough is one of the shittiest things you can do.

Bd-9rivccaa0cut
joined Aug 10, 2015

As impossible as it might be, I would love to see hamster beating the crap out of Aki just for fun... I can't wait for this conflict to be over

Same haha. I know that she probably shouldn't win and part of me feels it would be best for the story if she didn't win... but my heart wants Hana to find someway to knock Aki down a peg.

It is a bit too early for that though, methinks. At best she'll prove herself a wee bit more. Just coming back was a big step.

joined Dec 4, 2016

That's size though, MC is too small make it hard to make realistic fights. I mean author can make her a bit bigger but shortest character and she's still cute hamster.

last edited at Jan 3, 2018 3:24AM

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

ninrok posted:

Same haha. I know that she probably shouldn't win and part of me feels it would be best for the story if she didn't win... but my heart wants Hana to find someway to knock Aki down a peg.

It is a bit too early for that though, methinks. At best she'll prove herself a wee bit more. Just coming back was a big step.

I think that the most realistic outcome is that she'll be able to piss Aki off by worming her way out of Aki's holds and whoever judges the match will be forced to intervene when Aki inevitably goes ballistic over it.

UranusAndNeptuneAreJustCousins
joined Sep 6, 2015

Precisely. First, she violates the rules, preventing the little newbie from tapping and giving her a potentially life-threatening choke-hold? Even in Japan she's opening them up to lawsuits. She's adding to the bad reputation an MMA gym gets, she talks about killing people, she's driven away several students ... at what point did she justify her presence there? Plus she's a dangerous bully, criminal, psychopath, and thug. The best outcome would be someone who's good at striking knocks her silly, then breaks her arm(s) to see how she likes it.

This, basically. She obviously has no regards for safety rules, and her attitude is downright toxic, driving new people away constantly. I enjoyed the series until she showed up, and the reason I hate this turn in the story is not even that she is an irredeemable asshole, but the fact others at the gym put up with it. Sure, Hokota tries to chew her out, but is not really working, is it. I would prefer someone beats her bloody, but I could settle for the gym manager just DOING HER JOB and revoking her membership.

last edited at Jan 3, 2018 6:56AM

UranusAndNeptuneAreJustCousins
joined Sep 6, 2015

That's anime/manga cliche characters who think they own the whole profession or hobby and act like an authority, it's so stupid. Worse is dumb anime people respect this kind of character, people with mental problem.

Want to bet we shall later get some sort of sobstory about some crap she went through that made her like this?

19642653_1951141231771763_2417375312714862391_n
joined Aug 5, 2017

I want the hrikkn next chapter thank you

Marion Diabolito
joined Jan 5, 2015

Not sure it is. Although best outcome is simply banning her, not using her to teach. Again, she PREVENTED the new little girl from tapping, freezing both her arms and ignoring her attempts to tap out, so she could APPLY HER CHOKEHOLD LONGER AND GENUINELY INJURE THE GIRL'S NECK. A couple broken arms wouldn't be overboard at all. She was bullying and terrorizing her. She's no better than the bullies that made Fu-chan stop going to school.

I agree, I think she's there to give us someone to root for Hana against. Given it's a Japanese girl series, however, my bet is Hana will somehow reform Aki in the end, so you will get your wish.

last edited at Jan 3, 2018 12:01PM

Marion Diabolito
joined Jan 5, 2015

Aki is the kind of person who would heel hook white belts. What a pain. That crucifix position require incredibly long limbs for there to be a clean blood choke. Most of the time, it just turns into a neck crank/trachea crush, which is an absolute asshole move to pull on first week white belts. On the other hand, this is why people should learn to tap with their feet too.

i.e., they should have warned Hana. The other 3 girls are dippy, to say the least. It was also a great chance to do more show, not tell. If they had taught Hana how to tap with her feet, Aki probably would have lost face ignoring it, by whatever code a sociopath of her stripe follows .And it would have established she's pushing the limits to bully.

Bd-9rivccaa0cut
joined Aug 10, 2015

ninrok posted:

I think that the most realistic outcome is that she'll be able to piss Aki off by worming her way out of Aki's holds and whoever judges the match will be forced to intervene when Aki inevitably goes ballistic over it.

Agreed, that's the most likely outcome.

Also agree with the idea that really, after what Aki has already pulled and clearly being a bully driving other members away... why is she still a member? Hopefully we'll get a satisfactory answer to that as things progress.

A2bcf11834a1918b3f09b4219b2a099f_r
joined Aug 16, 2014

Not sure it is. Although best outcome is simply banning her, not using her to teach. Again, she PREVENTED the new little girl from tapping, freezing both her arms and ignoring her attempts to tap out, so she could APPLY HER CHOKEHOLD LONGER AND GENUINELY INJURE THE GIRL'S NECK. A couple broken arms wouldn't be overboard at all. She was bullying and terrorizing her. She's no better than the bullies that made Fu-chan stop going to school.

While I can't say overwhelming defeat isn't a humbling experience, it certainly isn't ideal for fixing Aki's atitude (and "knocking her out silly and breaking her arms to see how she likes it" is far from an effective teaching tool). She's still a kid, and even worse, one that's trained and strong, and thus dangerous. Hating her and getting petty revenge on her is unlikely to fix her attitude. Letting her loose on the streets with her atitude is likely irresponsible. What she needs is guidance, of the kind which Hokota, as a temporary teacher, most likely can't offer.

last edited at Jan 3, 2018 1:43PM

Marion Diabolito
joined Jan 5, 2015

What she needs is guidance, of the kind which Hokota, as a temporary teacher, most likely can't offer.

My theory is Hana will reform her.

joined Jun 30, 2016

Yeah thats what im talking about Hana!

Espurr%20sparkle
joined May 30, 2013

I remember reading an article where someone tallied all the winning conditions of each weight class in the major BJJ tournaments, and found that lower weight classes were much more prone to scrambles. That is, positions were kept for a very short amount of time. This is because smaller people are more agile, and are pound-for-pound stronger as they can lift proportionally more of their body weight. No-gi is also a lot more slippery than gi.

But it's still surprising that Hana could instinctively use the hitchhiker escape without being caught in an inverse armbar or triangle however. Especially against an opponent of Aki's caliber.

I like Hana though because she seems like a competent representation of martial arts basics. The hitchhiker escape is essentially just a bridge, and the log roll escape from under side mount is essentially a reverse shrimp. In practice these movements would take months to years to perfect against a competent opponent, but Hana makes it look easy. I'm rooting for her because basics are important.

last edited at Jan 18, 2018 2:04PM

Tumblr_inline_oxf1gj0pl71rjsbp5_400
joined Jun 23, 2017

[...] because basics are important.

You're reminding me of this character from Ikkitousen, always claiming that he beat his adversaries because they didn't master the basics. Though it's true, you can build something if you don't have solid foundations.

Really liking this story, I guess I didn't read many sports manga, but I love all those dynamics and stuff.

last edited at Jan 17, 2018 9:56PM

Gt00pn-odpc
joined Sep 30, 2017

Hahaha! Aki's face after she realised she was hit was priceless. Damn, that pipsqeak has better reflexes than Vivio.

To reply you must either login or sign up.