Forum › Hanakaku - The Last Girl Standing discussion

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Freikugel posted:

The Dynasty Reader tags don't promise yuri though. Which is a pity. It'd be great if the two main characters got together, after all. It may be set in high school, but it has an adult life feel - very much so. I will settle for lots of subtext.

Actually, there's quite a bit of undertones after Hanaka finishes her first real match. Koha has an obvious taste for strong girls but she ends up blushing just about as much as she's drooling afterwards.

You gotta use spoilers

Ririka Kirishima
Julia%20what
joined Feb 16, 2017

Oooo this is nice.
checks scanlator
Hmm, Timeless scans.... I wonder if they will upload Innocent Devil here, too orz.
The chapters' so good so far, Hanaka wanted to become stronger to protect her friend is so cute. :3

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

If she's that small, she will hardly find an opponent her weight.

It's one of the recurrent problem in martial arts, especially the female sections. Once you've attained a certain level, opponents become really scarce and you stop getting matches, unless you expatriate.

Ririka Kirishima
Julia%20what
joined Feb 16, 2017

Chapter 3 already up on facebook.

Ririka Kirishima
Julia%20what
joined Feb 16, 2017

Ch4 already up too.

Hana watches Koharu's winning the match and starting to get what kind of sport MMA is is great

joined Oct 17, 2016

Hmm, Im actually not too pulled into this manga yet and probably would have already dropped it, if it wasnt for the rare setting (MMA + girls) and potential yuri stuff. I hope it gets better, the fighting scenes werent that awesome until now and I hope the SoL stuff can compensate it.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Chapter 5 is out too... I like it, is not out of this world but I like it (maybe because after reading onepunch man and Tekkyuu Musume my expectation for impact and doki doki are high haha).

But I really really really can't stand those "nya" every time

Espurr%20sparkle
joined May 30, 2013

Imanari Roll!!!!!!

Awwwww yeah! MMA manga with yuri undertones? Could this get any better? The great thing about reading MMA it seems is that the ground action progresses as fast as the striking. I can get used to this.

Now we've seen a kickboxing type striker (the typical good southpaw with a demon left leg), and a leg locker who uses the Imanari Roll. I wonder what other kind of techniques we'll see. There has yet to be any mention of styles outside of the discussion of strikers vs. grapplers. This worries me because I want to see so many different things beyond these broad distinctions. I'm tired of the typical fighter: a brawler with decent a left hook, double leg, thai clinch, and a workable ground game (Which sadly, is what the main character seems to be). Give me more! More! Still, with the way things are going now, it's not a big deal.

Why is a toe hold called an ankle hold? An ankle lock and a toe hold are different things. The toe hold and heel hook attacks the knee joint. An ankle hold attacks the ankle. Is that a translation error?

It's amazing how accurate the transitions are portrayed. Imanari roll to inside ashi to heel hook to toe hold finish. And the reason Shinobu had to transition from heel hook to toe hold was because her opponent was defending correctly by rolling with the torque on the heel! This manga is pretty good.

last edited at Dec 13, 2017 3:47AM

Tumblr_inline_oxf1gj0pl71rjsbp5_400
joined Jun 23, 2017

I like Nobara Shinobu, classic character but the deadly silent warrior is one my favourite, I guess...

I doubt there'll be something stronger than subtext, but it looks interesting nonetheless! And perhaps I shall stand corrected in the future, who knows.

last edited at Dec 13, 2017 8:40AM

joined Nov 12, 2014

Why is a toe hold called an ankle hold? An ankle lock and a toe hold are different things. The toe hold and heel hook attacks the knee joint. An ankle hold attacks the ankle. Is that a translation error?

It's probably what they call it in Japan. Different terminology per region. I'm not too sure though. I know that's what it's called in pro wrestling. Ken Shamrock introduced it to WWE, and he learned it in Japan from shoot wrestlers.

Yumi%20sachiko%20kiss%201
joined Apr 6, 2017

If she's that small, she will hardly find an opponent her weight.

It's one of the recurrent problem in martial arts, especially the female sections. Once you've attained a certain level, opponents become really scarce and you stop getting matches, unless you expatriate.

I forget the details but they actually mess with the weight classes in Japan because of the tendency of japanese fighters being smaller. So it won't be as hard to find opponents.

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

Chapter 5 is out too... I like it, is not out of this world but I like it (maybe because after reading onepunch man and Tekkyuu Musume my expectation for impact and doki doki are high haha).

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Marion Diabolito posted:

IT'S DIFFERENT !!! Rin looks super cute and moe so is not (not totally...) out of place but this girl looks a bit ...hmmmm... Not the nyaa type

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

That "Welcome to the club" part was very touching

Tsw118
joined Feb 27, 2015

Hanaka-chan need to eat much more. With her current height and weight, her dodging instincts will only delay the inevitable defeat when the opponent manages to finally land a hit or a grab.

Espurr%20sparkle
joined May 30, 2013

Hanaka-chan need to eat much more. With her current height and weight, her dodging instincts will only delay the inevitable defeat when the opponent manages to finally land a hit or a grab.

I don't think that's true. More muscle helps one take a hit better in some areas (like the legs) but the most vulnerable targets such as the head and neck do not get more resilient with weight. And at the lower weight classes one's opponent is going to be hitting lighter too. So as long as Hana trains her body to react to the hits, she doesn't need more weight.

On another note a long time ago I was shown the reverse Seoi Nage, which turns into the lapel rather than the shoulder. I've never used it because it seems like such an awkward technique, but now I'm inspired after seeing Aki do it.

Turning the thumb up on the lead hook is also how I was taught. But in MMA the range of engagements are much longer than boxing. Sometimes, you just got to turn the thumb in to deliver that long distance hook. Especially after a straight punch in a combo, as the straight puts enough distance between you and the opponent that a textbook hook sometimes cannot reach.

last edited at Dec 19, 2017 12:44PM

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

I couldn't help but laugh when she said "12...!! one set!!!" when the others did 3 sets of 30, I felt really bad after but yeah I'm worried about her first match if that happens soon.
Btw I could probably do 3 sets of 15 in my current condition... This is a good excuse to start working out again, I'll edit with results later.

I'll try this http://amazingalloverfitness.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/full-body-no-equipment-workout.png except the last one I don't understand

last edited at Dec 19, 2017 12:52PM

Marion Diabolito
joined Jan 5, 2015

I couldn't help but laugh when she said "12...!! one set!!!" when the others did 3 sets of 30, I felt really bad after but yeah I'm worried about her first match if that happens soon.
Btw I could probably do 3 sets of 15 in my current condition... This is a good excuse to start working out again, I'll edit with results later.

I'll try this http://amazingalloverfitness.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/full-body-no-equipment-workout.png except the last one I don't understand

No, she really did 30.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Oh that's much better, I shouldn't have laughed
Edit: My friends kidnapped me so I don't have results yet

last edited at Dec 19, 2017 9:13PM

Mask
joined Jan 6, 2015

I'm really loving the art style in this. It's so cute and kind of dorky and awkward at the same time, especially Koharu and her big ol' ears.
(and instructor-lady is still super hot)

Bd-9rivccaa0cut
joined Aug 10, 2015

Figured I'd read a chapter ad ended up binging it all in one go.

I am totally looking forward to this, so few female martial arts manga out there... I saw people mentioning teppu, which I've been wanting to give a read as well... are there any other good ones out there anyone would recommend?

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

If I were the trainer I would just say "Get out" and nothing more...

Marion Diabolito
joined Jan 5, 2015

Precisely. First, she violates the rules, preventing the little newbie from tapping and giving her a potentially life-threatening choke-hold? Even in Japan she's opening them up to lawsuits. She's adding to the bad reputation an MMA gym gets, she talks about killing people, she's driven away several students ... at what point did she justify her presence there? Plus she's a dangerous bully, criminal, psychopath, and thug. The best outcome would be someone who's good at striking knocks her silly, then breaks her arm(s) to see how she likes it.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Marion Diabolito posted:

Precisely. First, she violates the rules, preventing the little newbie from tapping and giving her a potentially life-threatening choke-hold? Even in Japan she's opening them up to lawsuits. She's adding to the bad reputation an MMA gym gets, she talks about killing people, she's driven away several students ... at what point did she justify her presence there? Plus she's a dangerous bully, criminal, psychopath, and thug. The best outcome would be someone who's good at striking knocks her silly, then breaks her arm(s) to see how she likes it.

Plus she also skips practice, so the only "good" thing about her is her skills?? like "You can stay and do whatever you want as long as you pay" ? that just make the gym have a bad reputation.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

What an unpleasant person. There's being harsh and blunt then there's just being needlessly mean for no reason and this is the latter.

To reply you must either login or sign up.