Forum › Citrus discussion

Fb_img_1492462408743
joined Jan 18, 2014

i didn't get the "i look like daddy" bit, could someone explain please?

Mog2
joined Jul 29, 2017

Yuzu has natural black hair. When her father died, she tried to lighten them and add blonde color like we see in the extra to cheer her mother. After that, she dyed her hair in blonde to keep a connection with her father and to honor his memory as it is said in chapter 17. Her father was blonde as Ume said in the same chapter.

Tumblr_inline_oxf1gj0pl71rjsbp5_400
joined Jun 23, 2017

i didn't get the "i look like daddy" bit, could someone explain please?

It has to do with the colour of her hair, chestnut or something else depending on the translation (scan or official), you can see she painted the "tip" or strands of her hair (I'm missing some vocabulary here, didn't find a good translation from my own language).

Then it suddenly get brought up again here with no prior lead-up.

There is in the first chapters and if you stop to think about it (her situation, etc.), so it's not completely out of her ass. That the delivery seems like she did pull it out of her ass is a more valid point.

Even then, we're (mostly) following Yuzu's pov, so the fact that we didn't get any prior clue may have to do with the fact that Yuzu doesn't remember/don't care about that stuff and that Mei has been hiding it. I prefer to wait what it will be, to see why she didn't talk about it if she really is engaged again.

last edited at Oct 24, 2017 5:24PM

Dark_Tzitzimine
67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

Meh I do love the art ... but what I want to know is what is this and what is going on??!!

That is from one of the stories on the anthology where Mei and Yuzu switch bodies.

A2bcf11834a1918b3f09b4219b2a099f_r
joined Aug 16, 2014

Honest question, because I genuinely want to be able to understand this: why do most of you insist the art is "good"?

Looking at it from an unbiased view, the faces look pretty, the eyes/hair look OK most of the time. But objectively, what's up with the anatomy and consistently inconsistent sizes of people/objects and their respective angles, they look hideous. This not even including the fact Sabou can't even finish her shit and just delivers half-assed sketches.

Outside of the character design, I personally don't think the art is half good. This said, you're allowed to enjoy it, I'm just curious about the reasons why.

Looking at it objectively, art in yuri in general isn't really "good". It's functional. You read it, and it (usually) doesn't get in the way of your enjoyment. Sure, there're some artists with interesting styles, but we don't have a Hiroaki Samura (or to a lesser extent, a Kentaro Miura) in yuri.
Imo, Saburouta's art still is on the higher end among the genre.

last edited at Oct 24, 2017 6:53PM

1383023_409776295790444_214555291_n
joined Jul 17, 2016

Honest question, because I genuinely want to be able to understand this: why do most of you insist the art is "good"?

Looking at it from an unbiased view, the faces look pretty, the eyes/hair look OK most of the time. But objectively, what's up with the anatomy and consistently inconsistent sizes of people/objects and their respective angles, they look hideous. This not even including the fact Sabou can't even finish her shit and just delivers half-assed sketches.

Outside of the character design, I personally don't think the art is half good. This said, you're allowed to enjoy it, I'm just curious about the reasons why.

If you don't like it don't read it, go and read some weekly Korean manhwa shit and tell me about that art.. saburouta s art is one of the best out there whether you like it or not and before you judge the half done pages try and understand why this happened. Maybe she was sick,busy, maybe she was forced to deliver before finishing it.

But Citrus's drama is pretty much similar to Korean manwhas' drama.
Saburouta's art is good. She is pretty good at drawing faces and emotions. That's it imo. She is not above average drawing bodies, sometimes she has even done some basic anatomy mistakes, but damn she is great with faces, eyes especially. So yeah, the art is the best thing about Citrus, writing is its weak point and characters are average tier. Harumin best girl too.

last edited at Oct 24, 2017 8:13PM

Lomographic Colored Past
74ec91ae-b46c-44be-9b5e-7c40e1fb423d
joined Dec 29, 2016

The special chapter is nice, shows the story behind Yuzu's mom and Mei's dad, I want to see more of toddler Yuzu, she's so cute and positive even at an early age. I wonder what is Mei like when she's much younger.

Hanging%20chito%20ava
joined Dec 18, 2016

Then it suddenly get brought up again here with no prior lead-up.

There is in the first chapters and if you stop to think about it (her situation, etc.), so it's not completely out of her ass. That the delivery seems like she did pull it out of her ass is a more valid point.

Yes, the fiance drama fits the context of the story, which is why I think the development wouldn't have been perceived as "out of nowhere" if it had been better executed. A plot point that was adressed already suddenly getting addressed again after several volumes of no signs that it is still a relevant part of the story just doesn't come off as a natural development.

Even then, we're (mostly) following Yuzu's pov, so the fact that we didn't get any prior clue may have to do with the fact that Yuzu doesn't remember/don't care about that stuff and that Mei has been hiding it. I prefer to wait what it will be, to see why she didn't talk about it if she is really engaged again.

Whether we follow only Yuzu's POV or not, there are always opportunities to give hints to the story developments through visual cues and/or casual dialogues/interactions (even from BG characters). The characters don't have to be aware of their situations for the writer to forshadow them to the readers.

Capture
joined Dec 21, 2016

Whatever people think, but Saburo Uta sensei's art is the most beautiful art in Yuri mangas I used to read, beside Morinaga Miruku's art. XD

She drew facial expressions too detailed, hair, and the other things, too.

Well I love this art so much. Especially I love Yuzu's appearance. She is not only beautiful, but she is also gentle. XD

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Just to clarify, although the chapter strongly implies that Mei has, or will have, an arranged fiancé, nobody has explicitly said so yet, correct? Himeko's lack of response on page 7, the subtext of the cafe owner's phone call, and Mei's reticence at the end all seem to point in that direction, but at the moment there's no actual evidence that "Mei's fiancé" is anything but an assumption by Shiraho and Matsuri.

Of course, when you think about it, just because Professor Slimeball McRapey was sent on his way doesn't mean that Mei's side of the family hasn't continued to expect her to eventually marry some more suitable prospect.

And they're unlikely to look favorably on "going off to be a lesbian with my stepsister" as an alternate life plan, either. (Although it works for me.)

Simple-butterfly-tattoos-designs
joined Apr 24, 2015

If you don't like it don't read it, go and read some weekly Korean manhwa shit and tell me about that art.. saburouta s art is one of the best out there whether you like it or not and before you judge the half done pages try and understand why this happened. Maybe she was sick,busy, maybe she was forced to deliver before finishing it.

If you lack the reading comprehension skills to coherently follow my full post, then don't attempt answering to it and consequently risking yourself looking like a fucking idiot, which hey, you just did!

Who the fuck even brought up Korean shit? What the hell even suggested to you I was into manhwa to begin with, where did that come from, the depths of your ass? That being said, I actually do dislike manwha, or at least, as far as I've been with it, I find it painfully underwhelming, just like your post in its entirety. "One of the best" ahaAHAHAHAAHA AHA Oh you were serious.

To everyone else, I guess it's what I said then, it's mostly about the character design.

chill mate

to be fair he was a bit hostile, but that was a bit over reacting.

I'm on the camp of thinking the arts good. I don't generally spend enough time on a page to critique art in a manga. Like a guy already said, as long as it doesn't interfere with the reading it's good enough. I really like clean lines and smart use of toners. the inking is well done in my opinion considering that i like sharper lines as well.

Even then, demeaning the guy for him to consider this art to be one of the best is uncalled for. It's by far the most subjective comment they made. For one there's no such thing as "one of the best", people can only mean "one of the best i've seen", how are you to even comment on that not to mention art itself is entirely subjective opinion. Who are you to tell someone that what they perceive as good isn't? People can find accidental paint splatters amazing.

All'n'all that was unwarranted, and this blurb was excessie

joined Apr 7, 2016

So basically, Ume and Sho got married in order to help support their daughters? That...explains a lot about their general relationship, actually. It explains why Yuzu's mom is so chill with being the wife of someone who's never around and why Mei's dad is still traveling around, despite being a married man again. It also explains the very sudden marriage.

If the plot would allow it, I'd actually like to see more on that developed. It seems like a pretty interesting arrangement.

19243370_189319978264256_7134889760776107126_o
joined Dec 26, 2014

If you lack the reading comprehension skills to coherently follow my full post, then don't attempt answering to it and consequently risking yourself looking like a fucking idiot, which hey, you just did!

Who the fuck even brought up Korean shit? What the hell even suggested to you I was into manhwa to begin with, where did that come from, the depths of your ass? That being said, I actually do dislike manwha, or at least, as far as I've been with it, I find it painfully underwhelming, just like your post in its entirety. "One of the best" ahaAHAHAHAAHA AHA Oh you were serious.

To everyone else, I guess it's what I said then, it's mostly about the character design.

chill mate

to be fair he was a bit hostile, but that was a bit over reacting.

I'm on the camp of thinking the arts good. I don't generally spend enough time on a page to critique art in a manga. Like a guy already said, as long as it doesn't interfere with the reading it's good enough. I really like clean lines and smart use of toners. the inking is well done in my opinion considering that i like sharper lines as well.

Even then, demeaning the guy for him to consider this art to be one of the best is uncalled for. It's by far the most subjective comment they made. For one there's no such thing as "one of the best", people can only mean "one of the best i've seen", how are you to even comment on that not to mention art itself is entirely subjective opinion. Who are you to tell someone that what they perceive as good isn't? People can find accidental paint splatters amazing.

All'n'all that was unwarranted, and this blurb was excessie.

He just tries to be edgy and shit all over something a lot of people like. I don't like many things either but I don't go on forums to bad mouth them cause I respect the fact that people like it.

Jhkjhk
joined Jan 7, 2014

Had he opened up his excuse of a response with anything but loose comparisons and less of a butthurt toned offended victimized tantrum, when I clearly stated I wasn't preventing anyone from liking anything but was instead rather curious on the opposite take of my personal opinion/taste, maybe my hostility wouldn't have been called for.

And really, after that explosion of verbal diharrea from them, did you really expect me to take that subjective yet-not-put-very-subjectively statement seriously? I thought it was hilarious, so I made sure to include my giggles on it. I never claimed people can't like things, even if in my book they're bad. Quality discourse and reading comprehension were never the spotlight in Citrus discussions, I guess.

Official%20beidou%20cropped
joined May 22, 2016

Had he opened up his excuse of a response with anything but loose comparisons and less of a butthurt toned offended victimized tantrum, when I clearly stated I wasn't preventing anyone from liking anything but was instead rather curious on the opposite take of my personal opinion/taste, maybe my hostility wouldn't have been called for.

And really, after that explosion of verbal diharrea from them, did you really expect me to take that subjective yet-not-put-very-subjectively statement seriously? I thought it was hilarious, so I made sure to include my giggles on it. I never claimed people can't like things, even if in my book they're bad. Quality discourse and reading comprehension were never the spotlight in Citrus discussions, I guess.

They wrote one or two passive aggressive lines at best
Your condescending hostility however, was overblown and pointlessly aggro, it was far from justified

Tumblr_inline_oxf1gj0pl71rjsbp5_400
joined Jun 23, 2017

But Citrus's drama is pretty much similar to Korean manwhas' drama.

They were most probably talking about the art, not the quality of the drama.

Who the fuck even brought up Korean shit?

They brought it up to, I think, compare Citrus' art to something less polished in their eyes. Also, to be fair, the tone of your original post is already antagonistic and you're basically shitting on the manga while saying "meh, I'll give you that one good point". And when somebody call you out on your attitude for mocking a fan reaction, you also turn yourself into a victim "but they're just butthurt fans, it's not my fault. I even said they're free to like their shitty crap manga" - I'm exaggerating on purpose there.

Don't play dumb, you're shitting on something people like, hiding it behind legitimate critics, of course there's going to be offense taken. And then you end up on yet another provocation, but I guess it's just for shit and giggles.

Otherwise, when somebody calls something good, that means they like it, nothing to do with objectivity. Unless you're talking about something being technically good, for which you can point out errors in proportions and stuffs, which aren't standing out in my eyes. So yeah, like probably the majority of people who love Citrus, I like the characters designs the most and the way the emotions are portrayed are good : they're compelling and help me feel the emotions and the distress the characters are experiencing in the story. The art allows me to experience the story to its fullest, which is good since it is its purpose. And yes, there are more beautiful art out there, mostly outside of yuri where the drawings are mainly utilitarian, except the bodies and the faces, i.e. the characters.

Of course, like most of the works out there, there's going to be errors, the author is only human; but since they don't stand out for me, as I said, it's enough so that I consider Citrus' art good overall. On the specific case of the sketchy art, I'll just quote the best janitor ever "Schedule conflict"; Saburouta had a volume to finish and an anime to work on.

last edited at Oct 25, 2017 9:08AM

joined Dec 13, 2015

Everyone's hopped up mad about the new fiance development, but honestly it seems (1) pretty realistic and (2) not really a retread of old material, given that the old fiance was way back at the start when they just met. Not only are they different people now, but their relationship is definitely in a very different place which offers new ground to cover. Making no assumptions first since we haven't actually confirmed his existence, but if there is a fiance I'm fairly confident saburouta won't play out the exact same story beats twice so im looking forward to seeing how the arguably more mature and understanding yuzu/The braver mei handle this one. I can see why people might be irritated since it, on the surface, it does look like "just" a plot retread.

Low-key best part of the episode was Matsuro being so upset tho. She's usually screws around so much it's nice to see she was genuinely invested in seeing yuzumei be happy together.

last edited at Oct 25, 2017 9:12AM

Senjougahara_sama
Rowow
joined Jun 12, 2017

Oh my god tiny Yuzu is so cute

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

I "Citrus sucks" is the current fashion, but for crying out loud this is getting out of hand again. I'm seeing way too much pointless nastiness and I'd really like not to have to step in. So if people could show at least the tiniest bit of self-control I'd be ever so grateful.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

As to the art, even the top yuri artists fuck up. Mira is terrible at proportions sometimes. Morinaga Milk sometimes turns her characters into cyclops when in profile. Morishima Akiko's characters have rubber arms at times. There's a whole chapter of Kurogane Ken's Hoshikawa Ginza District 4 that's got no inks or tones. Takemiya Jin is perfect and has no flaws, shut up

Artists have their weaknesses, off days, and times when they have scheduling conflicts and can't polish everything the way they should. It's nothing unexpected, even from the top of the field, except Takemiya Jin, didn't I tell you to shut up

Mog2
joined Jul 29, 2017

Absolutely. And concerning Saburouta, let's remind us that she had the volume extra (10 pages to draw), all the bonus content (color cards ...) exclusive to some shops (ComicZin, Gamers...), the extra leaflet offered with Toranoana (another 4 pages to do) and last, but not least, all the corrections she had to do for the volume 8. All the chapter 29 (adding layers of shades on the hair and the background for more than 30 pages) and many corrections in the other three chapters.

So yeah, it was almost expected she would not polish a chapter that usually she doesn't publish when a volume is released.

Volume 7 was delayed for one month probably because of scheduling problems. She could not delay this time because a sign event meeting with the fans was scheduled the 21th of october.

last edited at Oct 25, 2017 10:58AM

1383023_409776295790444_214555291_n
joined Jul 17, 2016

It's pretty sure YH released the unfinished chapter despite SU not wanting that. It's pretty unprofessional to release an unfinished chapter, it would have been better not to release a chapter this month. I think this incident and that shit quality in NTR's anime show YH doesn't really give a fuck about its titles. Then again, not surprising, best yuri series aren't even published there

last edited at Oct 25, 2017 11:12AM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Takemiya Jin is perfect and has no flaws, shut up.

Sorry to have to disobey--I adore Takemiya Jin, but the one problem I have in reading her is that sometimes there's not a lot of variance in the visual design of the characters, so I get confused about who is who more easily than usual (especially when I'm following a story/arc that's been spread over several different collections). That makes it harder for me to read a bunch of her work in a row, which I regret, because I adore Takemiya Jin.

Screenshot_20180828-085722_1
joined Mar 21, 2016

of course mei had fiance in her sleeves, of course. I should have known.. how could I miss this fact, its like in front of my face all the time ??

matsuri!, this is ur chance! I really want the old matsuri back now

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Takemiya Jin is perfect and has no flaws, shut up.

Sorry to have to disobey--I adore Takemiya Jin, but the one problem I have in reading her is that sometimes there's not a lot of variance in the visual design of the characters, so I get confused about who is who more easily than usual (especially when I'm following a story/arc that's been spread over several different collections). That makes it harder for me to read a bunch of her work in a row, which I regret, because I adore Takemiya Jin.

There's always gotta be one. Heretic!

To reply you must either login or sign up.