Forum › Why does the community in places like kissmanga seem to bash yuri so much?

joined Jun 8, 2017

I'm genuinely curious and rather frustrated as to why places like KissManga has such a large community that goes out of their wash to bash and insult yuri / shoujo-ai in general. I've just out of comfort used KissManaga for a couple years now and have been thinking of making a switch to other manga sites for this reason, I've heard Dynasty Reader is pretty much the best place for yuri / shoujo-ai and the community here seems friendly. What primarily sparked this today was my excitement at seeing the newest Kase-san manga on Kissmanga, curious to see what other people were saying, oh one of the top comments is just a guy stating that yuri is garbage. Feels bad man. This is far from the first time I've seen this kind of behavior before and clicking on the profile of the person making the comment they state they're a teenager, so I'm wondering if this immature and hateful behavior is just bored teenagers in the anime/manga disqus communities being well teenagers. Is KissManga and Disqus something I should steer clear from in general? I'd love to hear the thoughts of fellow yuri / shoujo-ai fans here. How do you good folks deal with the hate comments and generally avoid them, while also trying to state socially activate online?

Screen%20shot%202022-12-24%20at%201.57.08%20am
joined Jun 11, 2016

Welcome aboard, That's all I have to say, I don't really know how to make a good introduction XD. Just try to avoid getting into debate's with people and don't break the rule's. Do those 2 thing's and there is a good(ish) chance that you'll be fine.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Shoujo ai doesn't exist.

joined Jun 8, 2017

Welcome aboard, That's all I have to say, I don't really know how to make a good introduction XD. Just try to avoid getting into debate's with people and don't break the rule's. Do those 2 thing's and there is a good(ish) chance that you'll be fine.

Thanks for introduction and fair enough. I've been trying hard to not get into debates with people around the internet in general, I've doing a good job at keeping my ahead above water and not responding to people being rude most of the time. It's hard to know what to do in cases like the one I mention, where you're frustrated and very passionate about a genre, maybe I should go do some yoga haha.

joined Jun 11, 2016

Thanks for introduction and fair enough. I've been trying hard to not get into debates with people around the internet in general, I've doing a good job at keeping my ahead above water and not responding to people being rude most of the time. It's hard to know what to do in cases like the one I mention, where you're frustrated and very passionate about a genre, maybe I should go do some yoga haha.

And I highly advise that you don't break the rule's. And when I say don't break the rule's I mean it. DONT! BREAK! THE! RULES!, I'm telling you this for the safety of your account and the safety of your sanity.

joined May 4, 2017

Not sure about KissManga in particular but the bashing I've seen grew out of a mix of targeted and repeated trolling plus LGBT stuff sometimes being seen as 'SJW' by people having stupid twitter fights.

joined Jun 8, 2017

Not sure about KissManga in particular but the bashing I've seen grew out of a mix of targeted and repeated trolling plus LGBT stuff sometimes being seen as 'SJW' by people having stupid twitter fights.

Ya the trolling and general bashing of LGBT stuff seems to be a good explanation. As I've heard someone say trolls aren't attacking you or what you like, they're attacking specifically boredom above all else. Which is I guess why I shouldn't pay these people any mind, they're just burning time by saying rude things to whomever is in their path at the time just for kicks, plus people responding and giving them attention is fun for them. Not to mention the general and ever present mindset across anime and manga communities in general, "what I like is great, what everyone else likes is garbage/trash/awful", it's an unfortunate way of thinking that's selfish and petty, but what can you do?

joined May 23, 2015

Accusing a japanese work of being "sjw" is kind of asinine, seeing as that dynamic doesn't really even exist in Japan.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

I never go there, mainly because I have batoto (you can find a good vibe from the comments there, at least in yuri work) and dynasty... Also another one that I won't mention here hahaha but yeah, if you like yuri please stay

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

Welcome, OP. Different people like different things and those on the internet who disagree with you are usually likely to be rude, condescending and indecent. I say best to ignore them lest they're attempting to make some valid point(s).

And I highly advise that you don't break the rule's. And when I say don't break the rule's I mean it. DONT! BREAK! THE! RULES!, I'm telling you this for the safety of your account and the safety of your sanity.

There are rules?

Best Mangaka Rohan
25dfc3e30a88f17394a8d2037430b766
joined Dec 13, 2016

Dynasty-scans is the pretty much the best yuri site on the internet. Nice people, almost every manga and pretty nice mods.

U/yuri is great too but the people are rude there. Though no LBGT bashing is done there.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

SF posted:

What? Debate is the life of any forum. If there's no debate, it's dead.

Agreefests are boring.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

I was serious. If you want to post here, you need to learn shoujo ai doesn't exist. Also yea, I agree avoiding arguments, especially when someone is clearly insulting/trolling you or it doesn't seem you are able to agree, is a good thing, but civil discussions and debates are like entire point of having forum. It's not a glorified like/dislike button.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Welcome, OP. Different people like different things and those on the internet who disagree with you are usually likely to be rude, condescending and indecent. I say best to ignore them lest they're attempting to make some valid point(s).

There are rules?

Your FACE is a rule!

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

SF posted:

Agreefests are boring.

In some cases, yes. I mean we can all agree that Kase-san is cute as hell in an entertaining way though.

It's a Good Thing to approach stories with a discerning eye and actually think about them. Just because people debate doesn't mean they don't like the material or anything, it's not a bad thing. It means you're engaging with the content, which is commendable and often fun. So long as it doesn't turn into mudslinging and bad feelings, then it's time to back off.

joined Jun 8, 2017

I'm not certain if there's a proper way to reply to everyone but here goes:
@Serenata:
I have a good feeling I know what website you're avoiding speaking of haha. If we're thinking of the same thing it's a rather enjoyable one. :P

@OrangePekoe:
Thanks and that's a good point, a lot of people don't actually try to have valid points, it's usually the same general vapid bashing. There's I'd say something like a grab-bag of 10 words people use online to insult something, actually being original and trying to state an educated point is sadly a rare thing.

@Mangaka Rohan:
Good to know thanks! Ya it looks like if I want to exchange view points and see what people think of a yuri series this is the site to be, it's nice to see people here be tactful and polite. Also actually having proper mods is probably very helpful, a lot of sites like KissManga that use Disqus just let trolling and general unpleasant behavior be the unfortunate norm.

@Nezchan:
Ya I'm all for some debates as long as everyone remains respectful, I like seeing what other people that are also enjoying the same series have to say about it, what's their perspective and in what way(s) is it different than mine? It's often times a fun course of discussion.
~
Thanks everyone for the warm welcomes and great replies! This community is already fantastic!

last edited at Jun 8, 2017 3:26PM

joined May 4, 2017

Dynasty-scans is the pretty much the best yuri site on the internet. Nice people, almost every manga and pretty nice mods.

U/yuri is great too but the people are rude there. Though no LBGT bashing is done there.

That place can be nice, I go there for the rather extensive F/F literature (books) community, but the occasional transphobia and rampant biphobia in some sub communities can be bothersome even if I'm not bi or trans. I know that it's 4chan but still it would be nice if they toned that down.

%23spartasgirl
joined Jul 14, 2016

Twitter is an echo chamber full of virtue-signaling idiots.

joined Jun 11, 2016

SF posted:

Agreefests are boring.

And shitfests where people just degenerate themselves to immature insults & the obnoxious "My opinion is supreme to yours" comments are something I'd rather see die. This is Dynasty not Youtube comments.

Johanliebert
joined Dec 15, 2015

^
The ideal being to find a good compromise between agreefests and pointless arguments, I guess. But debates here are in general interesting, civic and remain polite.
Anyhow there is always moderators to shut the discussion down if it degenerates, so you can serenely use the forum as much as you want, FluffyHugs.

Since no one's apparently done it, here are some useful links I recommend you to check if you plan to stick around here ;)

The rules are purposely missing, since you don't seem to be the type of person who'd screw them; the rules often being left to the sovereing appraisal of Nez besides...

Welcome, and have fun here !

Animeyuridanshismall
joined Apr 25, 2014

shoujo-ai

this site makes it pretty easy to find shoujo ai as well. pretty cool.
https://dynasty-scans.com/tags/lolicon

23519190_1784036034940610_3865802561690641399_n
joined Oct 4, 2016

Agreefests are boring.

No they're not.

joined Dec 19, 2016

Can you provide some proof? Because broadstroking an entire site for the actions of a few makes you look stupid.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Less with the insults, please.

Reimu-pet-cirno
joined May 17, 2013

@FluffyHugs:

Also actually having proper mods is probably very helpful, a lot of sites like KissManga that use Disqus just let trolling and general unpleasant behavior be the unfortunate norm.

Disqus comments are pure cancer, no matter the site's subject or political bent. Almost any site that uses its own comment system(even if registration doesn't require so much as checking your email) will have higher quality comments, decent moderation or not.

To reply you must either login or sign up.