Forum › Nanashi no Asterism discussion

Best Mangaka Rohan
25dfc3e30a88f17394a8d2037430b766
joined Dec 13, 2016

The ending was better than I thought it might be, probably because while they did confirm tsukasa gets a boyfriend, they didn't force her meeting him in there at all.

It's not a great ending. I probably wouldn't read it again. But it did wrap everything up at least.

the boyfriend thing felt pretty forced to me.....

.......everything was forced till the end.

Capture
joined Dec 12, 2016

What? At the end of Sasameki Koto they're a couple with the blessings of their friends and families. How is that ambiguous?

It ends with them going to different schools and Sumika crying because she's graduating and becoming an adult and not able to be physically close to Kazama anymore.

Blessing of family and friends, yes. They prooooooobably end up together, yeah. But there's STILL the "our precious youth drifts away in the summer breeze and let us cherish these beautiful memories of our high school days" nonsense.

Uh, no, Kazama moves away temporarily to be with her grandmother who doesn't have much time left. They are still a couple with the blessings of their family, they just have a small long distance relationship for the time being.

Dynasty%20necromancer
joined Mar 6, 2014

...I guess it's finally time for me to read Sasameki Koto, for years i never managed to overcome the trauma that the Ultraman mask gave me when the anime came around

joined May 1, 2013

Blessing of family and friends, yes. They prooooooobably end up together, yeah. But there's STILL the "our precious youth drifts away in the summer breeze and let us cherish these beautiful memories of our high school days" nonsense.

Uh, no, Kazama moves away temporarily to be with her grandmother who doesn't have much time left. They are still a couple with the blessings of their family, they just have a small long distance relationship for the time being.

You're right, I forgot about the grandmother thing.

But there's loads of "I won't be able to hold your hand anymore!" and "I didn't cherish our pure high school love!" There's this weird bittersweetness and ambiguity and open-endedness to it. We know what almost certainly is supposed to happen in the future, but it's tinged with this sadness. I mean, it didn't do what some yuri manga do and outright say "She kept her wonderful memories in her heart and cherished them forever even after she married a man and had a normal life," and there's nothing but the idea they WILL end up together, but it's playing on the same kinds of emotional beats.

last edited at May 26, 2017 1:09AM

PINK DEATH BEAR
Sara
joined Sep 18, 2016

Uh

Sasameki Koto literally ends with the main couple, at a wedding, being told "You can't get married yet, but someday..." before being allowed to ring the bell in the place of the bride and groom.

There's very little ambiguity there.

joined Jan 8, 2014

YAAAAAY! they made up!
But I can see complicated feelings in the future....

The bonus was super cute!
I liked Nadeshiko's swimsuit, so grown looking ^_^

xxcindybeexx
Setsuko2
joined Jan 20, 2014

man..../sigh...i have to agree that i was really disappointed in the ending. it started out so well....what they did to tsukasa was a load of crap, poor girl. tbh i would have even been happier with her being /foreveralone with her twin than that. except that i really liked subaru and what's his face together. and actually, for it being a yuri and starting to read the story for that fact alone, as everything turned to shit i was really only reading it to a, finish it and be done and b, to read about subaru and the boy lol. how sad is that. i liked the small amount of yaoi more than i did the yuri, in a yuri story...THAT'S when you know the author fucked up lol. i thought subaru was the best developed character out of all of them XD

Th
joined Aug 6, 2014

The rage in these comments is far more entertaining that the manga.

Lomographic Colored Past
74ec91ae-b46c-44be-9b5e-7c40e1fb423d
joined Dec 29, 2016

No! no! no! no! no! no! nom! nom! nom nom nom... sigh... but this one expresses my reaction better. https://youtu.be/uFRcg6Inj6k

last edited at May 26, 2017 3:51AM

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

It ended in a rush, but in my headcanon, Washio and Kotooka eventually hook up. See matching bracelets on the backcover.

So, it could have been worse.

Hanging%20chito%20ava
joined Dec 18, 2016

But there's loads of "I won't be able to hold your hand anymore!" and "I didn't cherish our pure high school love!" There's this weird bittersweetness and ambiguity and open-endedness to it. We know what almost certainly is supposed to happen in the future, but it's tinged with this sadness. I mean, it didn't do what some yuri manga do and outright say "She kept her wonderful memories in her heart and cherished them forever even after she married a man and had a normal life," and there's nothing but the idea they WILL end up together, but it's playing on the same kinds of emotional beats.

Sure, there r some bittersweet "open-ended" lines, but Sasameki Koto actually builds its characters & their relationship well enough that it leaves little room for doubt to how it will end, unlike this series, which if it weren't 4 the extra strips showing their adult life, God knows if Kotooka & Washio ever got together (their chemistry is nonexistent) or if Tsukasa's feeling was just a phase all along.

ParasyticGhoul
Smell_1
joined Dec 5, 2016

I wished for tsukasa and kotooka to end up but what a load of crap

joined May 21, 2015

It ended in a rush, but in my headcanon, Washio and Kotooka eventually hook up. See matching bracelets on the backcover.

I thought i was the only one rooting for Washio and Kotooka. But yeah, i think they got together in the end somehow.

joined Aug 28, 2016

I think the author's notes, the star symbolism, and the general tone of the final chapter make it pretty clear that it's gonna happen, although it would still have been nice to actually see it.

Ava2
joined Jun 11, 2014

Wow I'm so surprised that was the ending. I thought there would be more than that.

joined Nov 15, 2016

The prize for most unfulfilling ending in Yuri this year goes to...

It's a shame, especially that Tsukasa is the one left out. Its also the first time I've read a yuri and been happier with the BL than the actual yuri. =-p

Oh well, far from the worst around!

KittyCatOmaniac
E19418efd5cf90129f366e240e5156b3
joined Sep 12, 2014

That bonus chapter with Subaru and Asakura almost makes up for the sub-par ending. Go get him, Subaru!

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Little details:

Maezono-san likes Kashiwagi?

Guess who got married?

Also,

Your first love never works out

Notice that Washio and Kotooka both had a first love that didn't work out, unlike Tsukasa.

And of course, the bracelets.

YuriSnipa777
Kiss%20me!
joined Sep 27, 2015

That moment when you came for the yuri, but stayed for the yaoi! The ending was way too forced. Wished for more canon yuri but oh well.

last edited at May 26, 2017 8:12AM

Snowflakes%20icon
joined Jun 22, 2014

Is this really the end? Nothing really changed and nothing really happened, nothing was resolved either :(

joined Apr 28, 2016

The ending reminded me of 6 year-old fanfictions I've written and never updated again.

...basically hardly satisfactory.

...and another example of poor time management haha (knowing the time and chapter constraints)

Nico
joined Jan 3, 2016

Errr so... a yuri manga ends up with nothing beside the yaoi couple huh? -_-

joined Feb 18, 2015

Well, the vague ending in the actual panels is disappointing, but if you read the character background pages, it makes things perfectly clear. In particular, the last two bullet points on the page for Tsukasa:

"It must have been hard on her to be the center of two love triangles."

and

"Despite how it ended, Tsukasa will also end up happy eventually. I feel that she's a girl who doesn't think something along the lines of "unrequited love = unhappiness".

That says to me that the other four ended up as couples and Tsukasa is the hypotenuse in both love triangles. Or perhaps the center of the love hourglass? Given that she did seem to be actually impacted by Asakura's confession, having her end up as bisexual in the end isn't a stretch, either. I would have preferred if, when Kotooka asked about her boyfriend it turned out she had a new GIRLFRIEND instead, but hadn't told her two friends that the person she was dating was female yet. (On the flash forward thing where they're meeting in the diner.) But, then again, it would have been better, over all, if the series had gone longer and not ended so abruptly.

Promo-facebook-facebook%20profile%20picture
joined May 24, 2014

Sooo 25 chapters later aaaand.... Nothing got resolved.
I wish Subaru would at least have found out his sister likes Washio.. And it's kind of hard to imagine that his sister won't find out he was crossdressing as her, especially since she's bound to talk to Asakura sooner or later and figure it all out..
Meh whatever, at least it's over x)

last edited at May 26, 2017 12:12PM

Mostly%20sunny
joined Oct 26, 2016

I've never seen a manga take such a roundabout path to return to the status quo.
I find it hard to find the point of it all. Something about interpersonal relationships?

To reply you must either login or sign up.