Forum › Hana and Hina After School discussion

joined Oct 5, 2016

And I mean, on the most basic level, Morinaga writes romances. OF COURSE there's going to be cliches, how could there not be?

Megu
joined Mar 22, 2014

Let us join hands and thank Kouyuri Scans for their hard work in bringing us these wonderful scanlations. :)

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

blargh201

Don't get me wrong, I love Morinaga. I feel that he(?) is one of the best in the business.

Definitely she. in the afterword for Girl Friends, she talks about going to a girls' school and having crushes on her senpai. Pretty certain she identifies as bisexual.

SadDoctor

And I mean, on the most basic level, Morinaga writes romances. OF COURSE there's going to be cliches, how could there not be?

This is pretty much the main point here. A lot of what Morinaga does is pretty typical in romance fiction. Denying your feelings, running away, having a liaison with someone you don't love in order to hide your feelings, etc. None of this is exclusive to yuri. I suspect that since yuri is, at its heart, a romance genre that doesn't really have that many long series, this stuff gets distilled and concentrated, so that we spot it way more easily than we otherwise might.

I was reading fanfic the other day, and it struck me just how often I've seen the "I'm neglecting my girlfriend and giving the impression I'm having an affair, but really I'm working secretly to buy her a gift, probably a ring" storyline. That's almost entirely because I read yuri, where I'm likely to run into any number of standard plots simply by virtue of it being such a small pond.

last edited at Jan 24, 2017 10:23AM

Kayo
joined Sep 9, 2016

Definitely she. in the afterword for Girl Friends, she talks about going to a girls' school and having crushes on her senpai. Pretty certain she identifies as bisexual.

How so? I always thought she was a lesbian.

Etult87ueaawqbz_%20(2)
joined Oct 15, 2016

Technically, she is.

Djltnk3ucaamfms
joined Apr 12, 2016

Now I'm just wondering when the comments will reach the breaking point where the same kind of complaints just become inconsequential and nobody fusses about it anymore. People voice out what they dislike, other people disagree and say why they like it, it stop there and we don't get pages of the same kind of discussion.

I personally think it's pretty neat though that some still get the bright eyed hope that Morinaga Milk will break out of the usual pattern with her series; it's nice to be hopeful no matter how unlikely it is. The vitriol is not so neat.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Bisexuals are also girls who like girls. If that's what she says she is (although I'm not certain myself, I read it ages ago) then I'm inclined to believe her.

Kayo
joined Sep 9, 2016

Bisexuals are also girls who like girls. If that's what she says she is (although I'm not certain myself, I read it ages ago) then I'm inclined to believe her.

What I meant is, that I didn't know she also liked men. I've never read anything about that.

last edited at Jan 24, 2017 3:01PM

Timheadshot_5050
joined Nov 4, 2016

Welp, write what you know, I guess.

Yuri Girl 1001 Uploader
Avitar
Fly by Yuri
joined Mar 29, 2013

[... some stuff I omitted ...] And for a lot of people in less progressive areas Morinaga's work is still going to speak to them.

I live in the midwest, USA, where homosexuality and especially gay marriage are known to be the source of all evil in the world. Definitely a less progressive area. Is that why I love Morinaga's work so much?

Images%20(2)
joined Feb 9, 2016

Thank you uploader :3 . I was actually quite desperate to know how the manga was going to end and couldnt find scans ANYWHERE. So I just went ahead and bought the digital manga ( vol 3) I can't understand everything and even if I can read it,doesn't mean I will get it.
I felt my kokoro break a bit when I knew what Hana thought at the end of chapter 13, and that is thanks to you guys. It was a bittersweet moment xD
So yeah, yay for supporting authors and again thanks for translating!

last edited at Jan 24, 2017 11:27PM

Mari%20-%20gf
joined Apr 1, 2015

It think it's interesting that her stories still cause so much discussion and controversy about the way she does her stuff. Call her old school or toss the word cliche around as much as you like, but I think she still nails it just fine.
Am grateful to be getting these chapters on this site!

Copy%20of%20corn%20thief%20maki%20maki%201
joined Jun 17, 2014

such delicious Milk......

Dynasty%20necromancer
joined Mar 6, 2014

My headache got worse

Copy%20of%20corn%20thief%20maki%20maki%201
joined Jun 17, 2014

My headache got worse

your pic is giving me nightmares

Malibu Uploader
Hogfather
Kouyuri
joined Jan 25, 2016

My headache got worse

Your nightmares are giving me pictures. Wait...

Dynasty%20necromancer
joined Mar 6, 2014

My headache got worse

Your nightmares are giving me pictures. Wait...

JESUS CHRIST don't wave that skeleton around man my heart is weak

Nico%204
joined May 26, 2015

I'm starting to question myself as to why I keep reading this... I'm not one to complain about things like this, but... This might be the first time I'm actually thinking the drama is getting way too forced. Last chapter I thought about stop reading it at least until it's completed and today I decided to give it ine more chance, but it seems it wasn't worth it. Well, bye for now for this series, I guess. Sorry about this little rant, and remember this is my opinion, let's not start an uproar because of that.

23519190_1784036034940610_3865802561690641399_n
joined Oct 4, 2016

I liked it for the most part, but it does seem like a retread of one of the earlier chapters where Hina was going to quit her job.

Still, we are moving INEXORABLY CLOSER to the actual kiss between these two.

Also: Thanks, Ropponmatsu, for translating this. The lack of spankings must be taxing, but I'm glad you muscled your way through it.

Tmp_11996-nanofate-3-11937795520
joined Dec 6, 2013

I feel sad for Hina T__T What will u do now Hana-chan!?!

joined Feb 23, 2016

Well this is torture... Now for how long do we have to wait for the next chapter to see some tears and so on??

Capture
joined Dec 12, 2016

I love how Maiko seems to cause Hina the most problems with her love life and does it without a single shred of malice.

Yurikosmaller2
joined May 28, 2011

ch 14, pg 5, "speaking which" (speaking of which)

KittyCatOmaniac
E19418efd5cf90129f366e240e5156b3
joined Sep 12, 2014

Okay, the drama is all well and good but seriously; garlic donuts?! What in the-?!

Richardevans
joined Jun 1, 2016

We had better get a kiss soon.

last edited at Mar 16, 2017 3:55AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.