Forum › Hana and Hina After School discussion

Ivan's%20words%20of%20wisdom
joined Jun 22, 2013

Fuckers! It now licensed!

And I fully intend to buy it when it comes out.

Dark_Tzitzimine
67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

Welp

I was expecting to be wrong about the plot but we're already on the misunderstanding drama phase.
Oh well, at least they keep being gay as hell.

joined Feb 18, 2015

Trouble in paradise... Not only can they not fully grasp what their feelings really mean, but they are now having jealousy and drama added into the mix...

joined Jun 12, 2015

Even their jealousy is mutual.

Nishiki%20gosu%20rori%20dark%20hair%20sm
joined Jan 11, 2015

One of the greatest parts of releasing a new chapter, is seeing all the speculation about what's gonna happen next. It's soooo tempting to hint some spoilers. x)

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Then they graduated and never talked to each other again.

おわり

Utena%20rose%20white%20200x200
joined Mar 28, 2014

Then they graduated and never talked to each other again.

おわり

ISN'T IT ELECTRIFYING?

joined Oct 12, 2013

Chantelune posted:

As usual, why talk things out when you can have an outburst then sulk for weeks ? XD

Well they're kinda both teenage girls so that's kinda par for the course. Teenagers aren't exactly well known for going about things logically and rationally rather than emotionally and for completely understandable reasons. They're kinda flooded with hormones that make emotional outbursts a lot more likely than doing things the right way.

My best friend and I used to fall out all the time because when she got angry at me for something she wouldn't talk to me, and I'd get angry at her for not talking to me, whether or not her original reason for being annoyed at me was valid. So she'd double down into not speaking to me. Somehow we're still friends 10 years later.

Teenage girls are hard work.

joined Jul 14, 2016

Oohhh I really love Morinaga Milk's work since Girl Friends. I'd like this series to continue and develop similar to that one. (I just read Sasameki Koto and I ended dissappointed with the lack of feeling so I hope this one will clear the bad taste)

Ss%20(2015-08-13%20at%2011.16.07)
joined Jul 3, 2015

This is my favourite series to follow !!

omg I don't want them to fall apart...

PLEASE GOD HELP THEM BE A HAPPY COUPLE !!

Yuri Girl 1001 Uploader
Avitar
Fly by Yuri
joined Mar 29, 2013

A really minor point, on page 16 when Hana says "pouch," this usage actually means "handbag." (See chapter 1 page 6.) But this is up to the translator I suppose, since English speakers do occasionally use the word pouch to mean handbag, just not very often.

Ahh, they're both so jealous, and both hurting because of it. But jealousy at that level can only mean they've both fallen for each other.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

It's a lot less angsty than Girlfriends. I doubt it'll be as long.

And males are conspicuously absent from the setting, so no rivals in sight.

joined Oct 12, 2013

Girls can be rivals.

joined Jan 11, 2015

A really minor point, on page 16 when Hana says "pouch," this usage actually means "handbag." (See chapter 1 page 6.) But this is up to the translator I suppose, since English speakers do occasionally use the word pouch to mean handbag, just not very often.

Ahh, they're both so jealous, and both hurting because of it. But jealousy at that level can only mean they've both fallen for each other.

The existance of the English word "handbag" simply slipped my mind. :p

Without mentioning any spoilers, I can say that at the end of volume 2 (i.e. ch12) there is no end in sight yet.

Vegitab%20profile%20pic%20smoll%20tumblr
joined Sep 21, 2014

Girls can be rivals.

Maiko
Cough i mean new My Candy products arrived

Sulk
joined Jul 19, 2015

Not this shit again..

Girl%20with%20a%20black%20cat%20avatar
joined Dec 27, 2015

Almost all love stories have an misunderstanding or two. My girlfriend found my favorite Pokeman over the weekend before me. So I'm done.
Done done.

joined Jan 11, 2015

Just submitted version 2 of both chapter 7 and 8, fixing all the issues (that I know of). :p

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Tiroskan posted:

Girls can be rivals.

You would think in a yuri manga girls would kinda be the natural choice for rivals anyways, lol.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Alice Cheshire posted:

Tiroskan posted:

Girls can be rivals.

You would think in a yuri manga girls would kinda be the natural choice for rivals anyways, lol.

Well, in Girlfriends, the "rivals" were boys. It was more realistic.

Beside Mari and Akko, none of the other girls were attracted to girls.

last edited at Jul 15, 2016 5:01AM

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Nya-chan posted:

Well, in Girlfriends, the "rivals" were boys. It was more realistic.

Beside Mari and Akko, none of the other girls were attracted to girls.

I disagree. Just because the other girls preferred guys doesn't mean the rivals are suddenly guys. It's a yuri manga so unless one or both girls are bisexual then there's nothing to suggest any rivals would be guys. The one guy even remotely presented as such in Girl friends was really just Mari trying to force her attraction to Akko to no longer be a concern. The guy in question really wasn't even relevant during all of this. In the entire manga I actually really wouldn't call anybody at all a rival to begin with honestly.

E: Totally unrelated but my desktop wallpaper just cycled over to a Girl Friends one. Out of over 3000 wallpapers I only have like 2-3 that are from Girl Friends so that's kinda weirdly coincidental timing, lol.

last edited at Jul 15, 2016 5:39AM

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Morinaga's characters aren't lesbians. They are just falling in love with "a person who happens to be a girl". Mari or Akko were never interested in any other girl. Mari even rejected violently a kiss from Tamamin.

In real life, as neither of the characters knows the other is attracted to them, the more logical would be to be worried about boys, because by default, a girl would be interested in boys. In Girlfriend, Mari is worried about the one Akko supposedly had sex with. Akko gets jealous about the temporary boyfriend. None of them were actual serious rivals, but their purpose was to make the relationship progress.

So I still think that in a yuri manga, the more realistic rivals would be boys. That's what gives Girlfriend a somewhat more real feeling.

In Hana to Hina, no boys. I don't expect it to be very deep or dramatic.

Dark_Tzitzimine
67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

Except that Hana has admitted to not giving a damn about boys and is struggling with her lesbian tendencies. In fact, with the way the whole thing with Maiko is being set up, is very likely their fallout is related to said tendencies.

Roomfortwo
joined Feb 11, 2014

Girlfriends was about showing how "regular" girls could still fall in love with another girl, this was all about self-discovery and accepting those feelings. Reason why Mari and Akko were the only "lesbians", because if the whole cast were, it would have lessen the impact. You can't make a girl agonizing about whether she can fall in love with another girl if every other girls around are dating each other.

And Mari didn't reject the kiss from Tamamin because "eeew, it's a girl !" she did because she was already in love with Akko who was there watching. And the way it played out, it really felt like the trigger for the rejection was Akko being there. If it had just been the same group minus Akko, she might not have rejected it, at least not so violentely. Truth is, Neither Akko or Mari ever considered other girls seriously. Even guys, it was never really stated that they were into guys at some point. Akko got drunked and let some random guy take her to an hotel without really realizing it and if she was annoyed at still being a virgin afterward, it wasn't because she wanted to have sex with the guy, but because she felt offended that a guy could see her naked and not managed to "get it up". As for Mari, it was just a way to try and run away from her feelings toward Akko. She couldn't even kiss him, when he tried, she ran away.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Well, my point stands. Mari and Akko aren't lesbians. They aren't attracted to girls in general (nor to boys, to be honest). Only to their choosen one. If their relationship were to fall through, I don't think they would fall for other girls. And while Mari and Akko are not attracted to boys, they don't hate them, are disgusted by them, or creeped out by the idea of them doing things to them. Men are not enemies in this setting. So, in the event it wouldn't have worked out between Mari and Akko, or they wouldn't have even met, I think they would have led happy het lives instead of happy gay lives.

Maybe Hinako (the model) had some previous tendencies, but I don't remember where it was mentionned. So I think it's the same thing here. Minus the boys.

To reply you must either login or sign up.