Forum › Hana and Hina After School discussion

joined Oct 12, 2013

http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/hana_and_hina_after_school_ch03#23
http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/hana_and_hina_after_school_ch06#27
It's hinted at fairly early on that Hina's a big ol' lesbo, which I found pretty refreshing for a Morinaga manga, because as you say, generally the characters fall in love with a person rather than being gay. Dunno about Hana though. She probably just likes cute things.

Nishiki%20gosu%20rori%20dark%20hair%20sm
joined Jan 11, 2015

Y'all are driving me crazy, 'cause I can't join the discussion without mentioning spoilers... D:

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

I don't really see the problem if it is falling for person or being lesbian. That could be just first attraction, but even if that is just a person, they still were able to be attracted to someone of their own gender which doesn't make them 100% straight. Anyway it is still yuri either way so I don't really see a point in that discussion.

EDIT/ Just in case. I agree the story where it isn't just discovering but person is already aware she is a lesbian are really fresh, but let's be honest, 90% of japanese yuri are the "only you" kinda of stories. They are still yuri thought so I don't mind that much.

Ropponmatsu, you can. That is what spoiler exist for ;P

last edited at Jul 15, 2016 12:27PM

joined Oct 12, 2013

Because homosexuality is still enough of a taboo for it to be notable when a character is actually gay or bisexual instead of 'but it's different if it's you'. I don't generally let it affect my enjoyment of a story, but I do notice.

joined Jan 11, 2015

@Nevri: I know, but I kind of feel like a lot of people would look at the spoiler tagged stuff anyway, even if they didn't really want to be spoiled. The temptation is too great. :p

And we're working on the rest of the chapters, so everyone will see eventually, after all. x)

I'm not sure how many more chapters will be hosted here on DS though, since it's licenced, but we'll keep submitting until they get rejected. When that happens... Well, we'll cross that bridge when the time comes.

last edited at Jul 15, 2016 12:54PM

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

I notice it too, that in most yuri, the characters aren't clearly mentioned as gay. I enjoy the stories, but it's a bit disheartening. It's often a case of If it's you it's okay that allows to remove the need to define the character's orientation and keeps The Gay away.

In that regard, I liked Sasameki Koto more than Girlfriends because Kazama clearly identifies as a lesbian.

As for Hina, I'm not convinced. In the two pages you mention, she only thinks about Hana. The "still" does not seem related to anything we know (yet). Maybe there was something with that Maiko, but I think she's another "pseudo-lesbian" who had a thing for Hinako.

And she's probably going to show up soon anyway. Once you start to talk about a childhood friend you didn't talk to in years, they suddenly appear the next day.

joined Jan 11, 2015

[...] Once you start to talk about a childhood friend you didn't talk to in years, they suddenly appear the next day.

I sure hope that doesn't apply to real life... My childhood friends were terrible people... D:

Also, !!! Actual spoiler !!! Maiko is Hinako's ex-girlfriend.

Edit: Aoi Hana / Sweet Blue Flowers is another great read about actual lesbians.

last edited at Jul 15, 2016 3:08PM

2641afdd-9dc4-4327-a1c3-a5b558c33522
joined Mar 12, 2014

So I've read this chapter and I don't really remember too much of what has happened so far in this, but this whole chapter could be so easily read as what happens when a girl has a hardcore crush on one of her straight friends who's oblivious. I'm sure Hana will turn around second to last chapter and be like "oh wow im really gay for you all along!" but right now I'm not getting any feelings of Hana liking Hina anymore than a friend.

What really sealed the deal for me was when Hina got all stroppy about not being able to meet up on Sunday (even though she never even asked) and even after overhearing Hana making plans with her friend, got shocked/disappointed when she was invited to come as well. What?? You're not going to dump your close friend right after agreeing to meet up, just so we are going to spend time alone? omggg

Also Hana and her friend look wayyyyyy too much like AU versions of Mari and Akko so now I'm shipping them. THANKS MORINAGA

last edited at Jul 16, 2016 4:06AM

Vegitab%20profile%20pic%20smoll%20tumblr
joined Sep 21, 2014

but right now I'm not getting any feelings of Hana liking Hina anymore than a friend.

I'd suggest you reading the past chapters since you dont remember much but for real, the last two chapters have shown Hana being jelly and having heart throbs over Hina. It's pretty obvious hints that it's happening

Utena%20rose%20white%20200x200
joined Mar 28, 2014

What really sealed the deal for me was when Hina got all stroppy about not being able to meet up on Sunday (even though she never even asked) and even after overhearing Hana making plans with her friend, got shocked/disappointed when she was invited to come as well

You're confusing Hana and Hina. Hina's tall, blond, gyaru. Hana's dark-haired, "short and round".

I'm sure Hana will turn around second to last chapter and be like "oh wow im really gay for you all along!" but right now I'm not getting any feelings of Hana liking Hina anymore than a friend.

I assume I should read Hina instead of Hana everywhere in your post. So Hina's obviously gay for Hana since chapter 3:
http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/hana_and_hina_after_school_ch03#22
So when she says, "I'm still weird, aren't I", she's concerned with having a sexual desire for Hana, not with her obsession over cute things.

Unlike Hina, who is pretty clear with her feelings, Hana herself is going to take a while accepting her feelings over Hina. She knows she's attracted to Hina, but she's taking her time to realise the power and the origin of this attraction.

And I'm pretty sure that once Hana understands her feelings, just like in GF, it's going to take a while before she'll manage to convey them to Hina, because the latter will do everything she can to clarify if Hana is really interested in her in the right way.

So the characters are like this: Hina understands her sexuality and feelings but is oblivious to Hana's feelings. And Hana is oblivious to her own feelings for Hina. Therefore for them to succeed as a couple, first, Hana needs to accept her ownself, and then Hina needs to accept Hana's feelings for her are true and not her imagination.

joined Oct 12, 2013

No, I'm pretty sure they meant what they said.

joined Sep 21, 2014

What really sealed the deal for me was when Hina got all stroppy about not being able to meet up on Sunday (even though she never even asked) and even after overhearing Hana making plans with her friend, got shocked/disappointed when she was invited to come as well

You're confusing Hana and Hina. Hina's tall, blond, gyaru. Hana's dark-haired, "short and round".

I'm sure Hana will turn around second to last chapter and be like "oh wow im really gay for you all along!" but right now I'm not getting any feelings of Hana liking Hina anymore than a friend.

I assume I should read Hina instead of Hana everywhere in your post.

Nah, reread the post

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Ropponmatsu posted:

Oh no, I read the spoiler. I'm actually a lot better than that normally but this time I ended up managing to accidentally read it without even intending to, lol. Not that the spoiler is actually a surprise anyways. (Also clearly not your fault either.)

joined Jan 11, 2015

Ropponmatsu posted:

Oh no, I read the spoiler. I'm actually a lot better than that normally but this time I ended up managing to accidentally read it without even intending to, lol. Not that the spoiler is actually a surprise anyways. (Also clearly not your fault either.)

See, this is exactly what I was afraid of, @Nevri! T^T

For some reason, my English skills completely failed me when translating the first few pages of ch9... I'd like to think of myself as fluent, but translating between my 2nd and 3rd language does lead to some awkward Engrish at times. :p
(But that's why we have QC!!! ...Counting on you, Faust. T^T)

last edited at Jul 16, 2016 4:52PM

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Ropponmatsu posted:

Ropponmatsu posted:

For some reason, my English skills completely failed me when translating the first few pages of ch9... I'd like to think of myself as fluent, but translating between my 2nd and 3rd language does lead to some awkward Engrish at times. :p
(But that's why we have QC!!!)

Oh I didn't notice you edited the post so I didn't see it. Well yea, but imo that is a good spoiler. I mean it makes my interest in series bigger cos it is something fresh. And well I'm actually at camp that like to read spoiler for stuff i wont read anyway unless i really plan to read it/read it and don't want to get spoiled so i was cool with your spoilers xP

last edited at Jul 16, 2016 5:46PM

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Ropponmatsu posted:

Don't worry about it, really. I dunno why I even read it, lol. I was reading the thread and just absently moused over it and read it without even so much as a single thought. Normally if I see spoilers I'm far more careful about reading them so it's definitely on me and nobody else.

joined Jan 11, 2015

I've been in the same situation, so I still feel bad... :p

joined Sep 21, 2014

No problem u_u

last edited at Jul 16, 2016 5:06PM

joined Jan 11, 2015

No problem u_u

Awwwh!!! Just when I thought of the perfect innuendo for my reply, you edited your post! D:

joined Sep 21, 2014

No problem u_u

Awwwh!!! Just when I thought of the perfect innuendo for my reply, you edited your post! D:

I KNEW IT, IT SOUNDED WEIRD DIDNT IT

joined Jan 11, 2015

No problem u_u

Oh not at all~! I was just gonna say "Maybe I'm just sensitive... [cough] I mean easy to satisfy". ;D

last edited at Jul 16, 2016 5:36PM

joined Sep 21, 2014

No problem u_u

Oh not at all~! I was just gonna say "Maybe I'm just sensitive... [cough] I mean easy to satisfy". ;D

PFFTTT RONP PLS, KEEP YOUR THIRST TO YOURSELF ⁄(⁄ ⁄•⁄▃⁄•⁄ ⁄)⁄

joined Jan 11, 2015

Don't wanna. :D

joined Sep 21, 2014

(╯。•́︿•̀。)╯︵ ┻━┻

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Faust posted:

(╯。•́︿•̀。)╯︵ ┻━┻

This one's superior:
(╯。•́︿•̀。)╯︵ ┻━┻︵┬─┬

To reply you must either login or sign up.