Forum › Walk Wit Me discussion

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Wait. So Wendy killed that unborn child?!

Marly: Your mom's so mean, let's get out of here!
Wendy: Yeah about that, I've physically abused my mom for years and even aborted her baby.
Marly: That's okay I still love you. Let's go!
Wendy: :)

*I am sleep deprived and probably misunderstood the story completely so by all means correct me

I think, it isn't stated that Wendy killed the child, but she blames herself for its death.

Because she was constantly assaulting her mother.

It's ambiguous just what she did; she might have just smashed things and yelled at her and stressed her out. Or she might have regularly beaten her with broken crockery. Or anything in between.
Similarly her mother might have been mainly crying because her daughter was treating her bad, or she might have been mainly crying because she'd been cheating on her husband with some no-good and gotten herself pregnant and then lost the kid (and her daughter reminding her all the time didn't help), or anywhere in between.
Pick what suits your sense of the story.

Breakdanceanomicon
joined Jun 13, 2015

Even that morally ambiguous reveal feels like something an actual writer from early 1900's America would write. I don't know how, but this author really got in the mindset of someone really distant from them. I think that's pretty amazing.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Kind of a surprise that it was Wendy's mother's anonymous lover who was the kind voice of reason who helped smooth the way for the two of them to leave for boarding school. That's... not how that character is usually used in these kinds of stories. ><;

Was it? I thought maybe the husband was now back from the war . . . but maybe you're right.
Marly noticing that the man with Wendy's mother was different from who she remembered could work either way; either she remembers the wartime lover and is surprised to now see the husband, or she remembers the husband from before the war and is surprised to now see the lover. Lemme think . . . actually, I don't think Marly knew Wendy before the war and the lover. 'Cause, she first got to know Wendy when her mother was crying all the time, which would be during the war when she had a lover. So the first man she would have associated with Wendy's mother would be the lover. Which means if there's a different guy around now, it's either a different anonymous lover, or it's the husband, back from the war. Also, Wendy's story says "While he was gone for the war", which suggests he is no longer gone for the war.

So pretty sure guy stepping up is Wendy's returned father.

Lifecharacter
Canaan2
joined May 9, 2013

Pretty sure it's not, considering that the chapter opens with Wendy talking about how she won't get into Heaven "where Papa is." http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/walk_wit_me_last_part#2

Also, considering how the mother's crying in response to her daughter threatening to cut her open was the thing that brought up the whole "it was my mom who was crying all those times" I highly doubt she was crying because of her adultery rather than crying from the abuse she suffered from her horrible daughter.

last edited at Jul 13, 2016 1:44PM

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

All I can say is that Marly saved Wendy.

And Wendy saved Marly.

From rotting in this town.

Physically and mentally.

So, Happy Ending.

Capture%20_2018-03-05-21-59-51~2_resized
joined Apr 28, 2016

I'M NOT CRYING

YOU'RE CRYING

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Kind of a surprise that it was Wendy's mother's anonymous lover who was the kind voice of reason who helped smooth the way for the two of them to leave for boarding school. That's... not how that character is usually used in these kinds of stories. ><;

Was it? I thought maybe the husband was now back from the war . . . but maybe you're right.

Good question what war we're talking about. The reference to the "star" that Russia launched likely refers to Sputnik 1, which was launched in 1957. The location seems to be the UK, and about a hundred mines in the North East closed during the 50s and 60s so the period fits. Except the UK wasn't really involved in much in the line of wars at the time given WW II had ended more than a decade beforehand so little Wendy would have been too young to do much to mom. There was the Suez, but that was only over a short period. Same for Cyprus. Not a lot of time for mom to have an affair.

Maybe Korea? That finished only four years before the story likely takes place.

Screen%20shot%202015-01-02%20at%2011.59.56%20pm
joined Jun 4, 2015

Good question what war we're talking about. The reference to the "star" that Russia launched likely refers to Sputnik 1, which was launched in 1957. The location seems to be the UK, and about a hundred mines in the North East closed during the 50s and 60s so the period fits. Except the UK wasn't really involved in much in the line of wars at the time given WW II had ended more than a decade beforehand so little Wendy would have been too young to do much to mom. There was the Suez, but that was only over a short period. Same for Cyprus. Not a lot of time for mom to have an affair.

The page talking about the war has a a big picture of Korea in the focus so it's very probably that.

edit: lmao it literally say "korean war" across the bottom of the panel dunno how i missed that

last edited at Jul 13, 2016 5:30PM

Am I the only one who not happy with that ending? Becoz I feel so sad for Wendy's mother :(

last edited at Jul 13, 2016 5:36PM by

Capture%20_2018-03-05-21-59-51~2_resized
joined Apr 28, 2016

Am I the only one who not happy with that ending? Becoz I feel so sad for Wendy's mother :(

I feel bad for her, but I'm not worried because that dude she's with seems pretty chill.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

I've kinda expected Wendy hidding something, because the first chapter was like "Ooh she's so fragile and sweet... I must protect her" and I didn't buy that right away, but ouch... That was cruel.

If I ever go to a place like that, just mark me death

joined Jul 13, 2016

1950s West Virginia is so bleak love the setting

The newspaper seen in http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/walk_wit_me_first_part#25 is the front page of the Los Angeles Times from October 4, 1957, the same day that Sputnik was launched. That marks the setting as being in the American southwest, somewhere in the Los Angeles Times distribution radius. The presence of Route 66 in http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/walk_wit_me_last_part#38 (referenced as the "Mother Road" in that same page) narrows the possible locations even further, to coal mines in the Route 66 corridor in the Los Angeles Times distribution area. As near as I can tell, there weren't any active coal mines in that area around 1957, so I don't think we can be more specific than saying it's somewhere in New Mexico or Southern California. Potentially as far East as Arizona, I suppose. There are few other areas in the continental United States that would permit two adolescent girls to comfortably pass an October night under the stars wearing only nightclothes, with only each other for warmth.

http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/walk_wit_me_last_part#1 , with the map of Korea labeled "Korean War," would seem to support this theory.

Vegitab%20profile%20pic%20smoll%20tumblr
joined Sep 21, 2014

a heavenly...?

Damn tho, the art was so much nicer

joined Jan 8, 2014

That was a really cool story, so different than the usual, so sputnik, korean war, and route 66, I wanna say like south east to mid west, around that time mining towns were dying(just like in the story all the youths were leaving(not to mention industry changes))
Yeah, a very cool story
Thanks for translating ^_^

Wizardofwonder
joined Sep 11, 2015

I love how most of us don't expect this to end well.

I was on edge the entire time and when the end came I was relieved to Marly and Wendy still together.

Capture
joined Mar 9, 2013

I love how most of us don't expect this to end well.

I was on edge the entire time and when the end came I was relieved to Marly and Wendy still together.

Same here.
The setting was eerie and oppressive, I felt a kind of dread hanging over me while I was reading. I didn't expect a happy ending at all.

If there is a chance of a sequel I would hope we get to see what kind of letter Marly would write. I also secretly hope to see a letter from Wendy addressed to her mother, wouldn't that be a great read?

Dorohedoro_noi_big_smile
joined Feb 24, 2015

Happy ending, I guess? The cost to get there was pretty high though.

joined Dec 31, 2015

I do feel sadness for Wendy's mother, but I am able to see some sense of justification for Wendy. I mean, she was a kid who had this precious family that meant the world for her that was filled with warmth until her dad had left off. Of course this was going to impact her, and even Wendy's mother had cheated on her father that Wendy probably really respected. Being this, Wendy must have been neglected all the time because of her mother being with other men rather her daughter and without her father, well it all just equals to problems. This stuff can pretty much take a huge toll on a child to develop all sorts of issues, especially knowing that her two parents were being split apart. She even had another child in her bearing that was created from her "betrayal." Wendy therefore just threw tantrums from her issues that were created. I can't find any real person to blame for any of this, since all people were the source of the problem.

joined Feb 8, 2016

I do feel sadness for Wendy's mother, but I am able to see some sense of justification for Wendy. I mean, she was a kid who had this precious family that meant the world for her that was filled with warmth until her dad had left off. Of course this was going to impact her, and even Wendy's mother had cheated on her father that Wendy probably really respected. Being this, Wendy must have been neglected all the time because of her mother being with other men rather her daughter and without her father, well it all just equals to problems. This stuff can pretty much take a huge toll on a child to develop all sorts of issues, especially knowing that her two parents were being split apart. She even had another child in her bearing that was created from her "betrayal." Wendy therefore just threw tantrums from her issues that were created. I can't find any real person to blame for any of this, since all people were the source of the problem.

^ couldn't have said it better myself.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

I would have said the location is the U.S. Last image is of Road 66.

35c990f6-7c27-4620-972d-5aaee310af25-15976-00000b53e4662256
joined Jun 6, 2016

Gotta prepare my heart for the next one

Cryssoberyl Uploader
Booklet1-high-pink-experiment
Zefiberyl Translations
joined Apr 11, 2011

Marly noticing that the man with Wendy's mother was different from who she remembered could work either way; either she remembers the wartime lover and is surprised to now see the husband, or she remembers the husband from before the war and is surprised to now see the lover. Lemme think . . . actually, I don't think Marly knew Wendy before the war and the lover. 'Cause, she first got to know Wendy when her mother was crying all the time, which would be during the war when she had a lover. So the first man she would have associated with Wendy's mother would be the lover. Which means if there's a different guy around now, it's either a different anonymous lover, or it's the husband, back from the war. Also, Wendy's story says "While he was gone for the war", which suggests he is no longer gone for the war.

Except the very first page, narrated by Wendy, says that her father "didn't come back in the end".

A great work. Yuri needs more works like this. Great writing, interesting and atypical setting and mood, fantastic art. I hope more Ugawa Hiroki works appear in future.

Thanks, Yuri Project.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Except the very first page, narrated by Wendy, says that her father "didn't come back in the end".

Ah, right. A couple other people have also corrected me. So not the dad.
But it was made clear that the mom quit with the guy who impregnated her, so this would be a newer guy, one who got together with a widow rather than one who took advantage of a lonely wife.

A great work. Yuri needs more works like this. Great writing, interesting and atypical setting and mood, fantastic art. I hope more Ugawa Hiroki works appear in future.

Thanks, Yuri Project.

Yes, really impressive stuff. I'd also like to see more by this person.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

That page

It's beautiful and heart-wrenching. A childish ritual, but so deep and pure at the same time.

"I pledge to you, who is now within me, my loyalty and faith."

I pronounce you wife and wife.

last edited at Jul 14, 2016 12:41PM

5b3c524e-e066-4eaf-8e5f-ae4e37b5edda
joined Jan 18, 2016

Us?
Oh well, that was deep

To reply you must either login or sign up.