Forum › Bare-faced Beauty discussion

joined Jun 12, 2015

obligatory complaint about how it's really cute, but needs a sequel

Yeah, that's what I mostly don't like in one-shots. Empty open endings.

drpepperfan Admin
Ss%20(2018-09-18%20at%2004.40.05)
joined Oct 12, 2010

Yeah but that's what I actually like about One-shots: unless you're 50 pages long, I feel it's best to have a slightly open ending.

A series can lengthen out a relation, making the falling in love process more natural and smoother. But when I read a 20 page one-shot where they meet, fall in love, kiss and proclaim they'll be together forever, and then it ends, it always feels too sudden and false to me, like it was crammed in. Whereas a more open ending is more natural and allows you to imagine what happens after, while leaving the possibility of a sequel (which are nice).

also this was cute

This isn't all to say that a oneshot can't end too suddenly, like I feel this one did, or that I don't find myself wishing something was a series, or a sequel existed or so on and so on. But I think every oneshot published this week has had at least 10 comments of "where's the sequel", regardless of how definitively it ends on a perfect note. So meh to the "empty".

last edited at Jun 3, 2016 2:26AM

joined Feb 3, 2016

I'm glad I read this, it made me smile after a long week of miserable misery. :)

joined Oct 11, 2010

"I do not have eyebrows!" was so unexpected

Charon-sml
joined Feb 14, 2016

I definitely want to see more from this mangaka. The art is so lovely.

drpepperfan Admin
Ss%20(2018-09-18%20at%2004.40.05)
joined Oct 12, 2010

Most certainly. I'm shocked at how little I can find about them, Manga Updates says they did some yaoi in 2001, but apart from that I'm struggling. Did they do more yuri?? Or is this oneshot from a issue of Hirari their sole release?

Cryssoberyl Uploader
Booklet1-high-pink-experiment
Zefiberyl Translations
joined Apr 11, 2011

Most certainly. I'm shocked at how little I can find about them, Manga Updates says they did some yaoi in 2001, but apart from that I'm struggling. Did they do more yuri?? Or is this oneshot from a issue of Hirari their sole release?

This happens so much, and it's always sad. An artist appears, does a handful of great works, or sometimes even just one, and is never heard from again.

Anyway, needless to say this was good. Although in some ways it was nothing exceptional for an adult yuri story, it is one of the few I've ever seen that even gently brings up the the issue of Japan's heavily alcoholic culture. As someone who has always had very negative opinions about alcohol, I appreciate this treatment of it, light though it may be. Hopefully Riko will be able to help Misaki with her problem.

Thanks Yuri Project.

Capture
joined Mar 9, 2013

Every new piece of adult life yuri is like a breath of air as I drown in a sea of high school girls in S-class relationships.

I totally agree. Adult life is my favourite.
I can't help but wonder though if this was an alternate universe and all yuri was adult life, would we be saying the same thing about high school girl yuri? Makes you wonder, right? Or am I just up past my bedtime and under a sleep-deprived high? XD

last edited at Jun 3, 2016 4:39AM

Profile%20pic
joined Jan 6, 2015

Yeah but that's what I actually like about One-shots: unless you're 50 pages long, I feel it's best to have a slightly open ending.

A series can lengthen out a relation, making the falling in love process more natural and smoother. But when I read a 20 page one-shot where they meet, fall in love, kiss and proclaim they'll be together forever, and then it ends, it always feels too sudden and false to me, like it was crammed in. Whereas a more open ending is more natural and allows you to imagine what happens after, while leaving the possibility of a sequel (which are nice).

also this was cute

This isn't all to say that a oneshot can't end too suddenly, like I feel this one did, or that I don't find myself wishing something was a series, or a sequel existed or so on and so on. But I think every oneshot published this week has had at least 10 comments of "where's the sequel", regardless of how definitively it ends on a perfect note. So meh to the "empty".

I don't have anything against the principle of open endings (it's sometimes good leave things to the imagination), but the real issue lies in the "possibility of a sequel" part, with the emphasis on possibility.

I mean, how many one-shots like these are actually carried on to become series? Maybe I'm bad at picking one-shots to read or it's just my confirmation bias, but I can go through my read list and pick out open-ended oneshots pretty easily, and that's all that you get.

That's my real issue with these open-ended chapters: I've read too many of them compared to ones with "real" endings. Sure, I get why authors do it, but it's gotten to the point where I want more resolution than what's given, more often than not. I guess you could argue that this one had a bit of a resolution... not enough for me though.

Tumblr_3d1efdc4f3fb1ee16acd2f13f08afe0c_1e0d545a_12802
joined Mar 8, 2014

Every new piece of adult life yuri is like a breath of air as I drown in a sea of high school girls in S-class relationships.

omg LOL, I think high school moe is more fitting, there's isn't even that much S-class anymore... and yeah I hate it too... why are college girls so underrepresented?! :(

last edited at Jun 3, 2016 5:23AM

Tumblr_3d1efdc4f3fb1ee16acd2f13f08afe0c_1e0d545a_12802
joined Mar 8, 2014

I can't help but wonder though if this was an alternate universe and all yuri was adult life, would we be saying the same thing about high school girl yuri? Makes you wonder, right? Or am I just up past my bedtime and under a sleep-deprived high? XD

hm, I wouldn't, I'm not in high school anymore XD

Hinataskype
joined May 26, 2011

I love loveeee adult life yuri, it's great to see relationships that aren't girls discovering love for the first time (for the most part, adults finding love for the first time can still be very charming and adorable). But I also love that you usually won't see the "but we're both girls" trope in adult yuri, which at this point is like beating a dead horse to most yuri fans. We know you're both girls.. that's why we're reading it.

My only tiny wish for this particular one-shot is that they could have raised the yuri level a wee bit, but there were some cheek smooches and it was pretty damn cute, so I loved it of course.. really like the other above I'd love to see more from this author, very likable art style!

joined Jan 8, 2014

I want more adult yuri, always and forever...I figure I'll learn something ;p jkjk, but still yeah, getting away from the HS/but we're girls thing is nice...but I have a strong like for angsty-ness ^_^
A follow up release would be interesting tho, it would have been more fun to actually have pages of the drunken flirty-ness tho

yurinaissance
56239_1311160211088_full
joined Oct 30, 2015

So cute!

Ourobouros2
joined Feb 17, 2016

I can identify with this. I come off as pretty high-functioning and presentable while secretly dwelling in squalor. Right now, I can only dream of being able to invite people home without shame.

I do like the acknowledgement of how much effort beauty can take. Once you aspire to a certain ideal, it becomes an expensive full time job, which grows only harder as you get older.

it would have been more fun to actually have pages of the drunken flirty-ness tho

Yes, I'm always up for more of that.

Dynasty%20necromancer
joined Mar 6, 2014

Don't worry kid, you can still pull 'no eyebrows' off

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

As someone born ginger, I can totally identify with the no eyebrows thing. Mine grow so blonde they're pretry much transparent.

Anime-anime-boy-black-and-white-boy-favim.com-1570867
joined May 7, 2014

= w = Natural beauty is my fav ~

Afueee
joined Apr 5, 2013

Lovely art, lovely characters, lovely story! Thanks a lot for translating this one Yuri Project!

I wouldn't mind at all a series about this.

And I love adult yuri. But, school girls are nice too. In fact, I love stories starting in school and progressing into adulthood. We need more of those in yuri.

Optimized-tonari_no_robot
joined Aug 24, 2015

As someone born ginger, I can totally identify with the no eyebrows thing. Mine grow so blonde they're pretry much transparent.

Lmao me too ?? I had the same reaction when reading this. I have to fill them in with brow liner if I actually want to have eyebrows... Same for eyelashes, but mascara never comes light enough so it always looks somewhat unnatural :/

Screenshot_7
joined Aug 22, 2014

Guys you have no idea how I suffered past months. Every fucking day reloading the page of dynasty in hope for something new. Few chapters and one-shots a months - it was KILLING ME. The lack of yuri got my mental health to the lowest. I was so miserable I heard the blood going around my head. I had no yuri and every single fucking day of my boring existence I had no life. I had bad appetite, I had no interest in anime, in films, in games, in living. I was thinking of throwing myself from 30th floor of some building, I even wrote a good bye note: "I'm going to a happy world full of yuri". But I couldn't make my legs move, so I just sat on the chair and cried, cried, cried...

BUT NOW
Loads of uploads in such short time! IS IT GODDES?! I want to kiss her feet forever for saving my pitiful miserable life! I literally cry of happiness, because I can read yuri almost every minute! I swear this is what heaven feels like. This is the feeling that fills my body with the energy of mother Universe. Thank you. Thank you for bringing yuri to this world, to my unworthy life.

My thoughts exactly

Kitsune Inari
joined Jul 20, 2011

Aah I didn't want to sound too mad or mean about it either, but ouff...

The spelling of that exclamation is about the most French thing I've seen in these forums. <3

-Mais tonnerre de Dieu, cela suffit monsieur! Ce que vous pouvez emmerder avec votre chanson?
-Alors, vous parlez français!
-¿Yo? Qué va...

I love Les Luthiers. RIP Daniel.

"I wanna be ginger! I've never been ginger!"

last edited at Jun 3, 2016 3:17PM

Capture
joined Mar 9, 2013

hm, I wouldn't, I'm not in high school anymore XD

That ... Totally makes sense. I didn't think about that last night. XD

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

I do not have eyebrows!

It's so great when you're wallowing in self-pity and then someone says something outrageous and hilarious to kill all the tension in the air. Though personally I almost think it was so crazy that Misaki should've just burst out laughing...

This was super cute and quite fun. Go YP! You guys are the best, you're killing it!

American_virgin
joined May 25, 2014

exactly, adult yuri is the best

definitely

To reply you must either login or sign up.