Forum › Duel! discussion

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Tho then again, I was not gonna bother commenting about it cuz it's clearly not taking it seriously.

You don't like Alice Mark II ;x?

Billportrait
joined Jan 17, 2014

I didn't love Nidhogg so much just to be stopping here with the accuracy of it's usage

Also, is there more ecchi stuff in later chapters?

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Don't forget the most obvious erroneous depiction of fencing with rapiers: She is SWINGING A RAPIER it as if it was a typical sword.

But, but. How do you draw a epic attacks then?

joined Feb 9, 2015

But, but. How do you draw a epic attacks then?

Step one: Draw your character.
Step two: Give your character a rapier.
Step three: Have your character drop their rapier and grab a nearby plasma gun.
Step four: Never draw rapiers again.

joined Aug 31, 2015

Less extreme: use the point, you can picture the character dashing fast. Much epic.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Also, training in a public park at night is all the rage in Japan.

UranusAndNeptuneAreJustCousins
joined Sep 6, 2015

Also, training in a public park at night is all the rage in Japan.

I have seen people do stranger things in public parks. Like having sex.

Or reading books.

joined Feb 9, 2015

I have seen people do stranger things in public parks. Like having sex.

I mean, why not? You get all the pleasure of having sex while breathing in fresh air, listening to leaves rustling in the wind and birds chirping. And you get some insightful comments from passers-by that might help you improve your performance! Why would you not have sex in a public park?

Reading books, though, now that's just sick.

Ss%20(2015-08-13%20at%2011.16.07)
joined Jul 3, 2015

I never knew high school girls could be so mean... Scary !

Z%20ss
joined Oct 15, 2013

Did this manga even get much attention anywhere?
This was translated months ago, feels like one of those that will be forever forgotten with just this chapter translated.

joined Jan 12, 2014

This was translated months ago, feels like one of those that will be forever forgotten with just this chapter translated.

Like Baggata Way? ;_;

joined Nov 30, 2011

Like Baggata Way? ;_;

Don't remind me!! =( =(

Roomfortwo
joined Feb 11, 2014

Don't know if that might reach the scanlators but the correct wording is "marchez", not "marchais".

Looking nice so far. a bit over the top, but I'm not expecting a realistic take on fencing, so it's fine.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

The French used makes me cringe.

And "There's no way a foreigner like you, etc..."? I think the author does know very little about France and projects Japan's issues on other countries.

If a half Japanese girl were to take Fencing and become France representative in the Olympics, everyone would be delighted and congratulate her. French people actually like Japan a lot.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

What a "nice" senpai xD

Someone is angry. Seriously, she has anger issues or what?

This feel like such typical shounen. The moment they started talking about potential etc. I knew it will turn out Alice was bad at fencing at first or something. She and MC obviously will be kindred spirits, bonding over their struggles.

last edited at Jan 2, 2016 5:28AM

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

I am glad to see a japanese fencing manga and the french doesn't bother me. And I sometimes read books in French.

Roomfortwo
joined Feb 11, 2014

This feel like such typical shounen. The moment they started talking about potential etc. I knew it will turn out Alice was bad at fencing at first or something. She and MC obviously will be kindred spirits, bonding over their struggles.

Yeah, and going with shonen 101, next chapter will probably be the MC having a hard time until she remembers the technique the french girl showed earlier, then try to imitate it, scores a point and earn her place in the club while tagging herself as "rival" from the one she admire.

So hope to be wrong there. :p

Dark_Tzitzimine
67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

I thought at long last I've found a yugioh yuri doujin.

I was wrong ;_;

Tfwubestgirl
joined Aug 16, 2015

Don't know if that might reach the scanlators but the correct wording is "marchez", not "marchais".

Why "marchez"? I'm genuinely curious, because my French is really rusty.. "marchez" would be a plural imperatif, right? Just "marche" seems to make the most sense to me as a singular imperatif, but as I said my French has really decayed over the years.

Roomfortwo
joined Feb 11, 2014

Because in french, when you don't know someone (so need to be polite) or want to be formal, you usually use the plural form to refer to one individual instead of the singular.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

The thing is, in real Fencing you don't go on yelling the name of your attack or move. It's something Kendokas do, where they yell the part of the body they are going to touch.

Techniques have a name and French terms are most often used, but they are for learning, not screaming.

And even if fencers do yell in competition, there are informal rules, they usually do this in order to "convince" the referee that they had the right of way and it's usually gibberish. You can fence silently too.

As for "marchez", the name of the move is "marche" (advancing a foot and the other one follows, keeping the same distance between them).

And by the way, fencers don't do backflips.

Just goes to show that the mangaka was asked to do a fencing manga, didn't do any research and doesn't give a shit.

last edited at Jan 3, 2016 4:58AM

Roomfortwo
joined Feb 11, 2014

Well, to be fair, she got called out about the backflip. :p

Ah, didn't know it was refering to a move name. From the original "marchais", thought the author was going for "marchez", but made a mistake on how to write it and that it was more like "go" rather than a technique name.

And it's obviously a shounen sport style manga, strict obedience to the rules are usually forsaken in those in favor of "rule of cool", which means doing move that should not be made, especially if they're acrobatics, yelling technique names and so on. If you want to see proper fencing, I'd recommend not reading that one because that direction was already totally obvious from the first chapter. ^^;

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Well, usually, in Japan, that kind of manga is done on commission by the sport's federation, who wants to raise awareness and attract new young members. So as to prepare for 2020, for example, as the first page shows.

But if people who comes to try fencing expect to learn to jump 3 meters high and do backflips, they won't stay long and it's counterproductive.

Roomfortwo
joined Feb 11, 2014

I agree, but it's still a good way to get people to at least get a slight interest in it.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Overexaggerating moves, etc is normal in shounens, but I agree author usually does some research so at least the basic of the sport s/he presents are plausible. I know almost nothing about fencing, but I was pretty sure that is not how duels looks like.

Also shouting/saying techniques names is actually not that common even in sports mangas. Here it would make more sense for side characters to comment on those moves and introduces us to those techniques names this way. I guess author didn't bother to make their usage realistic and just wanted french character speaking french words.

last edited at Jan 3, 2016 6:36AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.