Forum › What Does the Fox Say discussion

halmoni Uploader
Jjjtjtjtjy
joined Jan 6, 2015

I sent an email to Lezhin about the imgur raws, Chinese to English typesets, as well as the thread on /u/.

Here's their reply:

"Hello. This is Lezhin comics.

Thank you for taking the time to notify us about how one of our products is being leaked illegally. (_ _)

We've confirmed that the product is being spread illegally on the sites you've sent to us, but we must monitor such activity, and we will do our best in order to take appropriate action.

We will closely manage this situation in order to ensure that such activity will face legal measures.

Thank you."

joined Jul 1, 2015

Oohhh... at least lezhin now knows of such illegal spreading, hoping they'll take action of some sort.

to be very honest, I knew of this manhwa because someone sent me the imgur link. i found the English to be... not very fluent, and on it I saw this chinese watermark logo and out of curiosity, I visited their forum. it was when I googled for more information that I came across this dynasty forum, and noted the instructions to purchase the coins and such to view it legally. although it took a while, because i am on iOS and I can't read Korean, I am finally able to view it, and it was all worth it.

I think the anon who did the typesetting (?) on imgur took it from the chinese team, because the chinese team stopped spreading it openly on the forum at ch16, they said they had already received multiple warnings from lezhin. and the imgur (with english) also stopped at chapter 16, I think.

so... there, a little back story of how I found out about this manhwa, hope I didn't bore anyone xD. and also, I'm encouraging people around me to purchase this from lezhin, instead of reading it from that anon which has quite bad/off translations, because even without reading the translations done by halmoni, I can already tell that some parts were weird and didn't make sense, like the conversations didn't flow.

last edited at Jul 13, 2015 10:53PM

joined Jul 11, 2015

On yep I remember reading English translated imgur uploads up till chapter 16 and there were some differences with what was translated by the translators here. I am willing to pay for my reading entertainment hence I'm glad I found this site..

Sans%20titre
joined Jul 12, 2015

HI
I've got 21 coins on my phone but i can't see WDTFS in my search results..
When I try it on my computer, i don't see my coins..
My adress finish by @hotmail.fr
I paid with Paypal
I can't put 19 years old ON (i'm 23years and my registration should not be false)
If someone can help me how to resolve it :s

Why don't they translate the website in english... :"'(

If you have an android, WDTFS will not show up in the search results due to Google Play's policy about restrictions. It takes time for your coins to show up on the desktop so please check again. Did you follow the instructions on how to turn on the 19+ button on Page 1 of this forum? If so, it should be working unless the site is under maintenance.

And well, they don't translate it to English because it's specifically a Korean site made originally for Korean users. We gave clear tutorials but if that isn't enough, use google translate to convert the page to English.

I know why it's don't works,
On my phone I typed the wrong email address because of one letter fail.. Stupid I'm
It's Work now Hehaaaaaa !
Thankssssss !

Large
joined Jun 9, 2014

i already read the english subtitle of chapter 17-18 >.<

i cant wait to read chapter 19 XD

i think sumin still love seju but how about sungji ? ..
i love seju x sumin but the love story is about sumin and sungji ;)

joined Jan 5, 2015

ANNOUCEMENT FROM TRANSLATING STAFF

If you haven't already, I'd suggest everyone who has an interest in WDTFS to read Halmoni's post about translation theft and illegal posting of raws.

Basically, what we're saying is, please do not steal, repost, upload, or distribute any of the chapter raws regardless of language and do not use Halmoni's translations without permission.

Whoever is in the act of doing these will face consequences, whether it be legal charges or the suspension of the accounts being used to post these unrightful acts of theft. It is not your work to claim.

If these acts continue to procceed and become out of hand, then the translating staff will stop translating WDTFS and drop it. Halmoni and the rest of the translating staff are a fan-based group who have been kind enough to put their personal time into sharing this comic with international users. We are not rich nor do we have time to deal with unnecessary disrespect from anons. Most of us are students trying to get through school and college for godsake. If we can cut back on a few cups of starbucks coffee and pay for the chapters, I'm sure you can too. Stop trying to justify why you can't pay for the comic and thus have to result in cheap tricks to read them. We have provided you several ways to read it legally, with detailed instructions and tutorials in order to assist you in your reading experience, and we're open to answering questions for those who have trouble accessing the site. It's literally 50 cents per chapter, it's not expensive.

It is not a right for you readers to have WDTFS translated for you. It's a privilege and as the people who are providing you with these translations, we have the right to take it away if we feel that we are being mistreated and taken advantage of.

So please, respect what we have asked for and legally read WDTFS. 21 coins for around 3 dollars will unlock 7 chapters for you and 61 for coins for about 9 dollars will unlock at least 20 chapters. We do not get any kind of profit from doing this whatsoever. Your money will rightfully go to the author and the site that's providing you the comic.

It's a great comic and the group gives quality work. Let's not ruin this for the people who honestly want to enjoy this comic and have already paid for chapters. It's not fair to them.

Thank you for reading and I hope you all understand.

Sigh... I am not really sure why this series has become SO HOSTILE so I wish people would just calm down and recall the reason why Dynasty Scan was first created... It's from fans for fans... We "scan" from manga books (i.e. someone has to pay for the book in Japan), then someone else does the cleanup, translating, typesetting, do all the hard work then post them for free on the web. Aren't we all ripping off the author all these while?

What I read from this forum sadly look like the breaking of a family of fans. I understand what the translating group are doing as they still want to read the series without getting sued, but to the extend where they hold it as "it's mine and I am not sharing". I feel as if the translator team has become authors. If I have offended anyone, then I apologize. I am merely an otaku who loves reading manga and am happy in this international otaku club. Please don't hate me (^_^) I don't particularly go for WDTFS (I am sure life will still go on with or without it) however while sitting on the fence, I ponder, "What have we all become?" We are like kids who are not willing to share...

I believe people who wants this manga hard enough will 'continue' to rip off the authors just like we did for Citrus, Fluttering Feelings, Their Story, Bleach, Naruto, etc etc (I think these are the current popular mangas). And yes, people will continue to rip other people's translations. E.g. Mangafox taking translation work from FF. Then, there are also people who falls in love with the manga so much that they would spend money on toys, accessories, and even purchase the hard copies when they have been officially translated to English (e.g. Citrus). At the end of the day, the world wouldn't know manga if fans didn't do it for fans. The world wouldn't spend money on Japanese robots/ anime if someone didn't take the effort to share. And now Korean manga is making a storm so why is it getting extra treatment compared to the Japanese manga?

Hypothetically, will you get sued if "someone else" took your work and shared? Or is it because no one asked for your permission before ripping your translation? Or because you just don't want to share?

PS: Just in case you are planning to throw darts at me, no, I am not the one ripping your manga translations.

last edited at Jul 14, 2015 8:35AM

giftvergiften
joined Jan 31, 2015

Hi there. Is it not possible to read the chapters in English on Lezhin app? Everything works fine for me until the step that I supposed to be redirected to the age verification page, the part where I suppose to choose the third button for international user didn't show up like in the instructions.

Let's%20see
joined Aug 13, 2014

@otakuJin

I don't know about other mangas Jin-san,but WDTFS manwha is pay to read one, other mangas are free to read. I don't know if you read this thread from the 1st page,if you didn't you should :) What Does The Fox Say manwha is not for free,that's why it is published in page like Lezhin - author is putting her heart in it and you want to say that it's fair that some people just reading it for free? You know that fans are paying money (it is not expensive at all) to read WDTFS and supporting the author like that. Some mangas are free others are paid to read,that is life.

Roomie
joined Mar 9, 2014

I believe people who wants this manga hard enough will 'continue' to rip off the authors just like we did for Citrus, Fluttering Feelings, Their Story, Bleach, Naruto, etc etc (I think these are the current popular mangas).

I laugued hard at this line
I'll only say part of why because Idon't have much Time : their story = manhua /free webcomic
And being on this list seems really insulting to their story and flutering feelings x)

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

What I read from this forum sadly look like the breaking of a family of fans. I understand what the translating group are doing as they still want to read the series without getting sued, but to the extend where they hold it as "it's mine and I am not sharing".

I think this is where you really go off track, and a lot of the rest follows from it. The translating group isn't opposing other translations because they're being territorial. They're doing it because they respect the wishes of the author who's specifically said they don't want scanlations floating out there. The Halmoni translation via overlay works because you still need the original to use it, which benefits the author. The other translations being discussed, on Imgur, Tumblr, etc. are opposing the wishes of the author which is an important distinction.

As for Dynasty, part of the concept of this site is to respect the wishes of the original author and those of the scanlators who volunteer a lot of hard work to bring us English versions. Supporting the authors and the overlay group in this situation is a no-brainer in light of that.

joined Jul 1, 2015

I think this is where you really go off track, and a lot of the rest follows from it. The translating group isn't opposing other translations because they're being territorial. They're doing it because they respect the wishes of the author who's specifically said they don't want scanlations floating out there. The Halmoni translation via overlay works because you still need the original to use it, which benefits the author. The other translations being discussed, on Imgur, Tumblr, etc. are opposing the wishes of the author which is an important distinction.

As for Dynasty, part of the concept of this site is to respect the wishes of the original author and those of the scanlators who volunteer a lot of hard work to bring us English versions. Supporting the authors and the overlay group in this situation is a no-brainer in light of that.

very well said;
brilliantly articulated. thank you!

last edited at Jul 14, 2015 10:07AM

joined Jan 5, 2015

@ Torija

I don't know about other mangas Jin-san,but WDTFS manwha is pay to read one, other mangas are free to read

Please don't say you live in a naïve world where other manga artists work for free... Don't you see the price tags on each manga comic book that you've ripped? The Japanese ones are always located at the back. It has a yen symbol if you haven't yet noticed.

@ trafi

And being on this list seems really insulting to their story and flutering feelings x)

So I presume you have asked permission to post their comics here on Dynasty
Their Story = why do you think yaoi-blcd kept asking you to not take their translated mangas without crediting the author? Do you truly believe the author is not getting paid somewhat for her/his manga?
FF - so it's free for all even though it gets locked after 3 days? Is there a reason why they are locked in the first place? What's the publisher's intention? Have you asked their permission then?

@ Nezchan

The whole blow up is because someone duped you guys in so you have no choice but to either condone, or do not touch the series altogether. I understand and respect that as I have a few authors that I'll buy their books/ figurines because I want to "own" them. Overtooning is fine. I have no qualms in that. But when you start becoming a police force for a specific publisher/ author and go against others who do not believe in your ideals, then I find that hypocritical. Your whole website is based on scanlations of manga not belonging to you. (In other words, ripping off authors' works and distribute them for free on your site). Even if a manga is for free, technically you still have no rights, until you've asked his/ her permission. Why authors didn't pursue when their manga is being ripped to English? Because they understand the marketing concept, "free publicity".

I dislike it a lot when people talk bad about this scanlation group in /u/ as I do believe this group puts a lot of effort in every manga they do. But when I see a retaliation like this... well, I have no other words to say....

@blueberries

very well said;
brilliantly articulated

Indeed, but it says "PART OF IT" is to respect the authors and scanlators, so, who's owns the other "part"? Was it not created by fans for fans? So 'brilliantly articulated' but missed the other important part? i.e. your fans? Please enlighten me, Ms blueberries...

last edited at Jul 14, 2015 10:13AM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

And fan entitlement once more rears its ugly head.

Ymir-and-christa-lenz-historia-reiss-shingeki-no-kyojin-kittyluv57-38197762-736-429
joined May 19, 2014

^I can actually understand otakuJin's sentiments. However, although dynasty is hosting scanlated manga/doujins and technically it's "ripping off" the authors, Dynasty scans is actually one of the few manga hosting sites that take down manga that has been licensed. There are hundreda or even thousands of manga hosting sites. If they didn't exist, the general consumer of manga would be generally fewer.

What makes WDFS different is because Lezhin is actually actively taking matters onto their hands to stop the illegal distribution of the manhwa. I believe if the authors wanted their works gone on dynasty, I'm sure it will be removed. But as of now, I see nothing wrong with how things are running on this site. Y'know it's not always black and white, or all or nothing.

My, my post doesn't seem very coherent but I hope the message got across.

Let's%20see
joined Aug 13, 2014

@otakuJin

Please don't say you live in a naïve world where other manga artists work for free... Don't you see the price tags on each manga comic book that you've ripped? The Japanese ones are always located at the back. It has a yen symbol if you haven't yet noticed.

Hahaha.. to be honest I don't and I haven't "ripped" a thing :) I'm originally from mangafox,most of the time I read manga there, here on dynasty and mangahere. The thing is those are public pages..you can sue them if you want. Pages like: imgur are more like private,right? Since people upload their photos,drawings and ect in there. In pages like these mostly were illegal acts are happening, because it's hard to find who, what and from where posted. Now you understand that you wouldn't even have a chance to read WDTFS in ENG if not Halmoni and the staff,no? She right in the beginning told everyone that this manga is paid to read. I don't translate manga but it even annoyes me to think that someone is stealing her translations and post them in their pages. I wish those idiots who steal manga would translate it and post everything for free, for all of us in some public page, since they are so fast and cool when it comes to stealing someone's hard work. With that said "some mangas are free,others are paid to read" they are in public pages, everyone can sue them if they want to.

Thiaguinho-sama
Homu%20avatar
joined May 11, 2012

Well I kind of agree with otakuJin about policing others translations, if one group can translate it others should have the option to make their own translation, but there's no arguing about halmoni translations, she's the only one who can decide if it can be uploaded somewhere, not to mention that if someone steals it to typeset and upload everywhere, she's the one that Lezhin will want to blame and sue, they might want to do that even because of others translations as she's the only reason people learned about WDTFS, so I understand why she's doing that.

last edited at Jul 14, 2015 11:30AM

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Why authors didn't pursue when their manga is being ripped to English? Because they understand the marketing concept, "free publicity".

Em, no. When Japanese manga is scanlated and posted online, author or his publisher don't give a fuck. They are sold in Japan and they easily get their money worth (unless series is bad, then it got axed). I don't think there exist piracy in Japan, but even if, they deal with it, the same way our copyright policy works.

You posted transleted manga on non-japanese server? They don't care. It doesn't affect sells in Japan. That is why manga was gray area of piracy for so long, similar with anime. Technically it is against the law, but because it's done in countries, where things like manga/anime wasn't available it wasn't hurting anyone.

Situation changes the moment anime/manga is licensed in said country, and suddenly those "free sources" starts to affect sellings. That is why removing licensed manga from internet is so important for english publishers.

Sure, there are and always will be "free sites" which hosts manga, but they were and always will be illegal. It isn't matter of "asking permission" (unless original work is published 100% for free and author just want to be credited).

I'm pretty sure it works similar for Korean's and Chinese's comics. As long as it doesn't hurt their market (aka isn't licensed/available somewhere) they are turning blind eye.

EDIT/ WDFS offers official translation, but reading it still request paying. It is their choice and trying to avoid it is breaking the law.

last edited at Jul 14, 2015 11:36AM

Thiaguinho-sama
Homu%20avatar
joined May 11, 2012

Em, no. When Japanese manga is scanlated and posted online, author or his publisher don't give a fuck.

It depends, there is some authors and publishers who don't want their works scanlated, I remember three, not to mention that a lot of doujins have written somewhere to not distribute it in any form without their consent, but I guess most don't know about it, don't care because it's in other language or because most people will scan it anyway so they can't do anything.

last edited at Jul 14, 2015 11:41AM

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Em, no. When Japanese manga is scanlated and posted online, author or his publisher don't give a fuck.

It depends, there is some authors and publishers who don't want their works scanlated, I can remember two, not to mention that a lot of doujins have written somewhere to not distribute it in any form without their consent, but I guess most don't know about it, don't care because it's in other language or because most people will scan it anyway so they can't do anything.

Doujins are different story, but I'm talking about officially published manga. As I said, nowadays, where licensing stuff is more common, they might make bigger fuse about it, but back in a day they didn't care, because non one in Europe/America could buy translated work or bothered to buy original work. It just wasn't affecting them.

And exactly because of scanlations manga became popular enough that they started to care about illegal scans.

last edited at Jul 14, 2015 11:44AM

joined Jul 1, 2015

otakuJin

@blueberries

very well said;
brilliantly articulated

Indeed, but it says "PART OF IT" is to respect the authors and scanlators, so, who's owns the other "part"? Was it not created by fans for fans? So 'brilliantly articulated' but missed the other important part? i.e. your fans? Please enlighten me, Ms blueberries...

i didn't think it was necessary to enlighten you since you can't even spell my name right. >.>

you have your point, and the others have theirs. there is no point in continuing this further since you are clearly trying to pick a fight. it is obvious you are simply refusing to accept and listen to other people's replies. its like talking to walls around here. so please, stop. because it is embarrassing to see you try so hard to argue your way through.

(to others on this thread: i'm sorry i sound harsh, i don't normally talk like that, but yeah, "blueberries" is my biggest pet peeve, so, apologies.)

Sango%20by%20annie%20icon
joined Jul 3, 2015

I believe what I asked for in my post was done so respectfully so I am not up for an argument of any sort. The fact of the matter is, this is a continuous pay to read manhwa and the translating staff has decided to respect that decision, thus resulting in our legal overlays.

Yes, we are aware that there has been other translations typesetted on shitty illegal raws previously but that wasn't our business to completely worry about. If they wanted consequences from the site, so be it. Halmoni and the staff though weren't going to risk it. However, now that they're directly stealing Halmoni's translations and claiming them as their own, this is where we must interfere.

There is a clear warning on every chapter of WDTFS stating consequences about illegal screenshotting, distributing, and posting. They do not tolerate it.

Do not try to jusitfy why it's "right". If you want to discuss more, feel free to drop by my tumblr.

last edited at Jul 15, 2015 1:02AM

Thiaguinho-sama
Homu%20avatar
joined May 11, 2012

Doujins are different story, but I'm talking about officially published manga. As I said, nowadays, where licensing stuff is more common, they might make bigger fuse about it, but back in a day they didn't care, because non one in Europe/America could buy translated work or bothered to buy original work. It just wasn't affecting them.

And exactly because of scanlations manga became popular enough that they started to care about illegal scans.

Ooshiro Youkou, author of Koharu no Hibi, Deus Ex Scans were translating his other manga Sachiare! But his publisher said they should stop, hentai mangaka Linda asked to not upload his work doujin or not even before some of his manga were licensed, same for Wani Magazine, and if the mangaka says to not distribute it then doujins are not not a different story, but most of them don't know, don't care if it's on another language or can't really do anything, so it don't really make any difference in the end.

And I'll stop here to not derail the thread.

last edited at Jul 14, 2015 12:11PM

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

nowadays, where licensing stuff is more common, they might make bigger fuse about it

Ooshiro Youkou, author of Koharu no Hibi, Deus Ex Scans were translating his other manga Sachiare! But his publisher said they should stop

This manga was published in 2013.

You are really nitpicking right now and missing my point.

joined Jul 14, 2015

I've got a question at the end of Ch.15. Nammi was seen having sex with a pink haired girl, is that Seju??

last edited at Jul 14, 2015 1:20PM

Let's%20see
joined Aug 13, 2014

No,it's not Seju,look at it better she doesn't even look like Seju.

To reply you must either login or sign up.