Forum › US supreme court has ruled gay marriage is legal throughout the US.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Wow, this conversation has gotten pedantic as hell, for all that it's not actually accomplishing anything but derailing from the original topic.

I think y'all should drop it.

Kitsune Spirit
Kokkurisanicon
joined Apr 8, 2013

Wasn't there a pastor who said he'd light himself on fire if gay marriage got legalised?

I hope he sells tickets!

At first I was a little conflicted about this, but after I thought about it, I decided that it wasn't the samething as the federal government trying to take over the rights of the states (civil war). It's just righting a wrong.

So paint me like a rainbow and call me happy. :D

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Wasn't there a pastor who said he'd light himself on fire if gay marriage got legalised?

I hope he sells tickets!

At first I was a little conflicted about this, but after I thought about it, I decided that it wasn't the samething as the federal government trying to take over the rights of the states (civil war). It's just righting a wrong.

So paint me like a rainbow and call me happy. :D

Yeah, this dude. Who, admittedly, doesn't seem to have been heard from since the announcement this morning.

Quite a bit less sticking to his guns than Rev. Charles Moore, who actually did set himself on fire last year to protest continued racism. Probably not the best method of protest mind, but the tenacity cannot be denied.

Seolaposescolor2
joined Nov 9, 2014

Well that sucks... Mississippi and Louisiana are the only states not issues same sex marriage licenses. Ugh. Damn being in the South sucks.

http://theadvocate.com/news/12760676-171/washington-post-report-louisiana-mississippi

21bd50a9-fb4d-47b7-a52f-4864e2af91fc
joined May 8, 2015

CONGRATULATIONS AMERICA I'M IN TEARS GODDAMIT

todays twitter timeline is pretty enjoyable because mine is mostly liberal americans. look elsewhere though, whoa the homophobia :(

I'm closeted gay live in homophobic country so this news makes me extremely happy. There is hope! Not in my country though! cry

last edited at Jun 27, 2015 12:05AM

Kitsune Spirit
Kokkurisanicon
joined Apr 8, 2013

todays twitter timeline is pretty enjoyable because mine is mostly liberal americans. look elswhere though, whoa the homophobia :(

I'm closeted gay live in homophobic country so this news makes me extremely happy. There is hope! Not in my country though! cry

hugs

Ejej
joined Aug 24, 2014

todays twitter timeline is pretty enjoyable because mine is mostly liberal americans. look elswhere though, whoa the homophobia :(

Aww :(

Shimapanda Uploader
Girls in Boxes
joined Oct 18, 2014

I'm so happy for all you Americans that are now able to marry the people you love. <3

There's a long way to come yet--the thorny legal issues mentioned above in this thread, the problems of other countries (including my own!) that do not recognise same-sex marriages or worse, actively persecute LGBT peoples, and more that we haven't even thought of yet. But I think this victory in itself is more than worthy of celebration, at least for today. It's a huge step for the country and also the world.

I'll leave off with the final paragraphs of the Court's opinion, which are fantastic:

No union is more profound than marriage, for it embodies the highest ideals of love, fidelity, devotion, sacrifice, and family. In forming a marital union, two people become something greater than once they were. As some of the petitioners in these cases demonstrate, marriage embodies a love that may endure even past death. It would misunderstand these men and women to say they disrespect the idea of marriage. Their plea is that they do respect it, respect it so deeply that they seek to find its fulfillment for themselves. Their hope is not to be condemned to live in loneliness, excluded from one of civilization’s oldest institutions. They ask for equal dignity in the eyes of the law. The Constitution grants them that right. The judgment of the Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit is reversed.

It is so ordered.

Img_20220214_023902-min
joined May 10, 2014

Thanks Obama! oh wait it sounds like I'm complaining...ummm...YEAH SWEET NEWS!!!! I hope our government over here sees this and thinks "hey...maybe this is the right thing to do...I mean equal rights...right?" or something like that...hahah...I'm too optimistic.

Oh right the mixed responses did piss me off ugh...

last edited at Jun 26, 2015 10:26PM

Z%20ss
joined Oct 15, 2013

Let those who want to walk backwards fall into the pits of the ignorant past. While the rest of the world moves forward, slowly but surely.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Oh, wow!

That Niagara Falls shot is gorgeous.

TheObsoleteMan
Recettehate_zpsebd03302
joined Jun 20, 2014

Let those who want to walk backwards fall into the pits of the ignorant past. While the rest of the world moves forward, slowly but surely.

A-goddamn-men.

The fact that the ignorant bigots seem so out of touch is probably the most encouraging thing here. Yes, as with all social change, it will take time. But I think the majority is already in favor of inclusiveness and humanity.

America, my beautiful, awful home, I know I give you a lot of crap (and usually for good reason), but I do it out of love. Because I know you can do so much better. If you've done something stupid, I'm going to let you know. If you've done something good, I'm going to let you know.

America... today, you done good.

Yurikosmaller2
joined May 28, 2011

Roomie
joined Mar 9, 2014

^ This is fake, there is no way Madokaism is falling behind the Kumarians

Nanofate
joined Sep 10, 2014

I get the gist with all of the rainbow flags popping up on Facebook and Twitter.

Art
joined Jan 31, 2013

Then, isn't it about time we drop the gay and simply call it marriage?

last edited at Jun 27, 2015 1:44AM

Rsz_17544039_p0
joined Jul 19, 2014

Well, I'm with you, dude. Openly admitting that you're gay in this country is basically a death sentence. Legally, I'm labelled as "mentally disabled", and therefore are not protected by law. You could get locked up and sexually abused for being LGBT here. A prominent political figure here once said," If they(LGBT) refuse to cure themselves medically or through religion, they must be willing to accept their fate to be ridiculed and abused for as long as they live." Well, shit.

last edited at Jun 27, 2015 1:02AM

joined Apr 15, 2013

Man, I need to pay more attention to life. I didn't hear about this until I saw it on Yuri-ism. So, yay for justice and love and stuff.

Now it's time to brace for the inevitable push back.

Tohka%20not%20crying
joined Jun 6, 2014

Edit: Sorry, I guess I'm pessimistic today. But watching the Kansas government these last few years, I seriously expect them, if nobody else, to do everything in their power to rain on our parade. I don't think they'll succeed, but I do expect them to somehow drag things out. (Perhaps by recognizing same-sex marriages performed elsewhere as required by this court decision, while continuing to refuse to recognize same-sex marriages performed in Kansas itself.)

If it makes you feel better, if Kanas acts anything like it has historically, then here's the catch-22: Kansas always tries to have an opinion about something but it just can't because it's Kansas. It's basically like that one douchenozzle we all know from a frat or club group that likes to chime in when it's low risk, like "Yeah! Fuck faggots!" when everyone's drinking and havin' a good time but as soon as adversity shoes up, like a super ripped group of gay guys stroll up saying "Dafaq u say bout me" he/she just mumbles "Meh whatever".

Pretty much exactly what happened during emancipation, among other things. Which is a good comparison to make in a history class if you wanna grab brownie points for connection-making; gay rights and civil rights are so scarily similar it seems like history is actually repeating itself, just slightly different.

Ihaveseenthelight
joined May 28, 2013

About time. Feel great for my family, friends, and everyone else around the country that has been denied this right until now.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Next... Japan !?!?! :D

(Wonder how it will affect the yuri genre through. More canon ending perhaps?)

At least we would get much more variety like you see in shoujo. Stories about not being accepted and "it's wrong" would become a niche.

In my country same-sex marriage is not only not honored, but is considered illegal by constitution. Have fun guys ;x

Random Reader
joined Nov 30, 2011

Bout damned time. Made no sense to take so long to push it through. Never understood why it was a good idea to leave it up to the individual states to decide in the first place.

And Mike Huckabee definitely isn't going to be president anytime soon with a statement like that! Lmao! XD ... Good riddance.

Fennec
joined May 28, 2012

Glenn Beck said he had 10,000 pastors all ready to go. Yup, any time now...

Good. Thats 10,001 less melodramatic stubborn and unaccepting assholes associating with us.

More garbage need to be burned.

Sayako
joined Mar 1, 2013

Welcome to the club ´merica

Yuri Girl 1001 Uploader
Avitar
Fly by Yuri
joined Mar 29, 2013

It occurs to me that the things opponents have been saying are pretty similar (from what I've heard) to what was being said when the supreme court struck down bans on interracial marriages decades ago. The only difference was that then a majority still opposed interracial marriage while now a majority already supports same sex marriage.

Oh, and it seems calls for a constitutional amendment were already ongoing at the time I made that (half) joking statement yesterday. Scott Walker calls for Constitutional amendment to let states define marriage Disclaimer, Scott Walker's views do not necessarily repr... Oh fuck that. Scott Walker is a bigoted... Ahem... I must politely point out that Mr. Walker's opinions are misguided and do not reflect the views of a majority of the people of the US (and certainly not mine).

Edit: And don't read this one unless you have an iron stomach. I was unable to read very much of it.

last edited at Jun 27, 2015 3:50PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.