Forum › Yuri in other Media (list in first post)

OriginalGengar
Kira%202
joined Nov 29, 2014

So yeah, after watching Carmilla (and Til Lease Do Us Part) I thought having a topic for yuri outside of manga and anime might be useful. So if you have a VN, game in general, book, TV or web series or anything that covers yuri, here is the place for discussion, I guess

Internet and Stuff

Vlog-ish Things

Cooking With Lesbians
Pillow Talk

Web Series

Carmilla Season 1, Season 2
Orange Is the New Black
Till Lease Do Us Part
Out With Dad
Anyone But Me
Producing Juliet
Starting From Now
Sense8
Entangled With You
The Newtown Girls
B.J. Fletcher: Private Eye
Girltrash (series is on YT, don't know if it's official so no links)

Movies/Short Films

LUGS
Clean Hands

TV

Series

Lost Girl
Orphan Black
Faking It
Painter of the Wind
Adventure Time (subtext)
The Legend of Korra
Steven Universe
The L Word
Strange Empire, cancelled
Last Friends
Person of Interest (first appearances in season 2)
South of Nowhere
Buffy (lesbian in the main cast)
Warehouse 13 (subtext, Happy End, safe to watch until S4E1)
Ally McBeal (not too much focus on the yuri)
All My Children
American Horror Story (Season 2 lesbian main character, season 3 subtext; both not worth it for the yuri)
Bones (yuri side arc)
Chicaco Fire (HypocriticalLiar disapproves)
Dates
Defiance (Season 1 only)
Desperate Housewifes
Guiding Light
House M.D.
Las Aparico
Les Revenants
Los Hombres de Paco
Marienhof
Mistresses
Once and Again
Rookie Blue (lesbian side characters, starting from season 4)
Társas Játék
The Fosters
The Good Wife
The Killing (Season 3 only)
The OC (apparently sucks)
The 100
True Love
Verbotene Liebe
Wentworth
Grey's Anatomy
Pretty Little Liars
Glee
Rizzoli & Isles (subtext)
Skins GB, US
Gotham (lesbian and bi side characters)
House of Cards (lesbian side character)
Lip Service (cancelled)
The Real L Word
Once Upon A Time (subtext, basically Hibike)
Xena: Warrior Princess
Crownies
Janet King
Murder in the First (yuri couple in main cast)
UnREAL (lesbian in main cast)
Torchwood (AfterEllen disapproves)
Sugar Rush (cancelled)
Vampire Diaries (starting from season 7)
The Rich Man's Daughter
Parenthood (starting from season 5)
Couples Therapy (season 4)
Exes & Ohs (cancelled)
Bad Girls

Movies/Short Films

D.E.B.S.
Bye Bye Blondie
Kyss Mig
La vie d'Adèle
Jack & Diane
Whispering Corridors (subtext)
Whispering Corridors 2
Whispering Corridors 3 (subtext)
Butterfly
Lost and Delirious
Cracks
Spider Lilies
Carol
Naissance des Pieuvres
When Night Is Falling
Fucking Åmål
My Summer of Love
Passion
Saving Face
Tipping the Velvet
The Fish Child
Mulholland Drive
Black Swan
A Room in Rome
Foxfire 1996, 2012 (subtext)
Elena Undone
The Guest House
Loving Anabelle
So Close
The Duke of Burgundy
The Four-Faced Liar
The Gymnast
Imagine Me and You
Yes or No 1, 2
Gray Matters
But I'm a Cheerleader
Miao Miao
Wishing for Happiness (3 part mini-drama)
The Edge of Heaven
I Can't Think Straight
Les Filles du Botaniste
Schoolgirl Complex
Kakera (apparently really shitty)
Jenny's Wedding
Anatomy of a Love Seen
Butch in the City
Desert Hearts
Addicted to Fresno
Bound
Alto
Fire
Cloudburst
Grandma
A Perfect Ending
Laurence Anyways
Girltrash: All Night Long
It's in the Water
Mädchen in Uniform
Puccini for Beginners
Nina's Heavenly Delight
Paris is Burning
Kissing Jessica Stein
Red Doors

Games

Visual Novels/Kinetic Novels

Analogue: A Hate Story, Hate Plus (OEVN)
Rising Angels: Reborn (OEVN)
Sono Hanabira ni Kuchizuke wo
Sono Hanabira ni Kuchizuke wo: Watashi no Ouji-sama
Sono Hanabira ni Kuchizuke wo: Anata to Koibtito Tsunagi
Sono Hanabira ni Kuchizuke wo: Aishisa no Photograph
Sono Hanabira ni Kuchizuke wo: Anata wo Suki na Shiawase
Sono Hanabira ni Kuchizuke wo: Kuchibiru to Kiss de Tsubuyaite
Sono Hanabira ni Kuchizuke wo: Amakute Hoshikute Torokeru Chuu
Sono Hanabira ni Kuchizuke wo: Tenshi no Hanabira Zome
Sono Hanabira ni Kuchizuke o: Amakute Otona no Torokeru Chuu
Sono Hanabira ni Kuchizuke o: Lily Platinum (translation has to be added to the game files manually)
Lonely Yuri
Romance Detective (OEVN)
Tunnel Vision (OEVN)
Loren The Amazon Princess (OEVN)
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai (subtext)
Umineko no Naku Koro ni, Umineko no Naku Koro ni (psycho lesbian in the main cast)
Katahane (get a guide if you only want to play the yuri route)
Sugar's Delight (OEVN)
Flower Garden (OEVN)
Aoishiro
Queen's Gambit (OEVN, Otome game with one yuri route)
Sakura Fantasy Chapter 1 (OEVN)
Cell Phone Love Letter (OEVN)
Heart of Fire (OEVN)
Sketchbook: Schoolgirls in Love and Other Assorted Heartbreak (OEVN)
Digital: A Love Story (OEVN)
Love & Order (OEVN)
Don't Take it Personally, Babe, it Just ain't Your Story (lesbian side couple, creepy stalker teacher romance as main plot) (OEVN)
My Twin Brother Made Me Crossdress As Him And Now I Have To Deal With A Geeky Stalker And A Domme Beauty Who Want Me In A Bind!! (OEVN)
Heileen 1, 2, 3 (OEVN)
Spirited Heart 1, 2 (OEVN)
Nicole (OEVN)
Roommates (OEVN)
Tales of Aravorn: Seasons Of The Wolf (OEVN)
Lilium x Triangle
Hanahira!
Anaheim Girl's Love Story
Amaranto
Negai no Kakera to Hakugin no Agreement (english release TBA)

RPG

Summon Night: Swordcraft Story 1, 2 (subtext)
Dragon Age 1, 2, 3
Mass Effect 1, 2, 3
Always Sometimes Monster
Fate/Extra
Jade Empire
Hyperdimension Neptunia Re:Birth 1, 2, 3 (Fall 2015) (subtext)
Long Live The Queen
Hyperdimension Neptunia 1, Mk2 (subtext)
Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory I, II (2016) (subtext)
Hyperdevotion Noire: Goddess Black Heart (subtext, male self insert)
Hyperdimension Neptunia U: Action Unleashed (subtext)
Violent Dimension Tag Blanc + Neptune VS Zombie Corps (English release TBA) (subtext)
Hyperdimension Neptunia vs. Sega Hard Girls: Hard Wars (English release TBA) (subtext)
Embric of Wolfhammer's Castle
Magical Diary
Demon Master Chris (lots of rape)

Puzzle

GrimGrimmoire (subtext)

Adventure

Gone Home
Life is Strange (subtext)
Tacoma

Other

Hyperdimension Neptunia: Producing Perfection (subtext, male self insert)

Literature

LNs/Novella

Finally
Higurashi Series (subtext)
Pixie Chix - Tales of a Lesbian Vampire
Blue Is the Warmest Color

Novels

Touchwood
96 Hours
Romancing the Zone
Graveyard Sparrow
Bluebell Hall
The Gunfighter and The Gear-Head (Nez' Official Seal of Disapproval)
The Second Mango
Tipping the Velvet
Fingersmith
The Fish Child
Foxfire (subtext)
Alamut (Don't read for just the yuri)
Lesbian Tales of Sex and Magic
Hellcat's Bounty
The Wives of Bath
My Summer of Love
Silhouette of a Sparrow
The Red Tree
The Drowning Girl
Sputnik Sweetheart
Quicksand
Butch Fatale, Dyke Dick
Girl Meets Boy
Her Name in the Sky
The Gravity Between Us
Keeping You a Secret
I Can't Think Straight
Wolfsbane Winter
Broken Wings
Ash
Huntress
One Foot Onto The Ice
When You Know
The Duchess of Manusk
Apocalypse, Baby
Bluebell Hall
Music of the Soul series
Music of the Soul Shorts series
London Harmony series
Drakon series
The Valkyrie Chronicles series
Urban Fairytales series
Lesbian Fairy Tales series
Carol
Tats, Tats Too

Comics

Adventure Time (subtext)
Supercakes

Webcomics

Can't Look Back
Gunnerkrigg Court (lesbian side couple, first appearance roughly 40 chapters in)
Go Get a Roomie!
The Night Belongs to Us
Idolon
Onaji
Balderdash
Rain
When She Was Bad
I Grew Up Beautiful
Sister Claire
Sunstone, (Amazon)
Death Vigil
Spinerette
Red String (lesbian side couple]
Girls With Slingshozs
Namesake
Girly
Dumbing of Age
Questionable Content
Curvy
Flaky Pastry
Wapsi Square

Music

Videos

Ally Hills - In Love With a Straight Girl
Hayley Kiyoko - Girls Like Girls
Supercell - Perfect Day (subtext)
Ed Sheeran - Give Me Love (subtext)
Ally & Stevie - Her Lover
Ally Hills - How To Know If a Girl Is a Lesbian
Ally Hills - Coming Out
Rosenstolz - Liebe ist alles
Kasia Stankievicz - Schyłek Lata
Jill Sobule - I Kissed a Girl
Hartbeat - Lookin' Ass Bitch
God-Des & She - Lick It
Zolita - Explosion

last edited at Sep 16, 2015 6:45PM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

I watched the first season of Out With Dad on DailyMotion, it was really good. Got to get around to watching S2.

There are a lot of lesbian romance novels, that vary in quality as you might expect. And for some reason mystery novels with gay and lesbian main characters have been popular for a long time. As to yuri with basketball, the two I've read are Finally by Lynn Galli and Romancing the Zone by Kenna White, both of which are pretty fun reads. The former is more of a novella though, and crosses over a little with characters from the author's other stories so it might not be the best to start with.

If you're looking for good Lesbian romance in general, I'm particularly fond of Touchwood by Karin Kallmaker which is adult Age gap and 96 Hours by Georgia Beers. Both are really good if you're into the romance genre.

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

VNs!

Lonely Yuri is short, sweet, and a little erotic. Minakata Sunao did the art for it. You can buy it on DLSite.

Nami has done a couple really short - and really cute - VNs.

Lastly, Loren the Amazon Princess is highly recommended. It's not a straightforward VN - there are RPG and strategy combat elements to it as well. At times, these become too simple and somewhat annoying, and at times they also add some much-needed flavor. The story itself is very much typical western fantasy type, but I found it - and the characters - to be fairly engrossing.

Also, I can always update the original post with things if you get the list started~ :D

last edited at Jun 8, 2015 11:13AM

OriginalGengar
Kira%202
joined Nov 29, 2014

Thanks a bunch, Touchwood is looking really interesting. Yay for adult couples.
I'm going shopping for authentic Japanese instant ramen with a bunch of American stuff in it after I'm done with work, so I'll add the list then. Especially when it comes to literature I don't know many yuri stories, so that was really helpful.

Pekoe:
Didn't know Nami, thanks.

last edited at Jun 8, 2015 11:17AM

Norainhere Uploader
2hu%20cats
joined Jun 27, 2014

I know of three American cartoons that have had yuri couples at some point in their history - Adventure Time, Legend of Korra, and Steven Universe.

In Adventure Time the characters Marceline and Princess Bubblegum apparently used to date, as confirmed by one of the voice actresses here. They've since broken up, but still are friends. Plus the subtext is considerably stronger in the comics.

In Legend of Korra, Korra and Asami are confirmed to get together after the end of the series.

In Steven Universe, the character Garnet is the fusion and literal personification of the relationship between the two gems Ruby and Sapphire. Although gems are technically gender less, they use female pronouns so I guess you'd consider them yuri.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Thanks a bunch, Touchwood is looking really interesting. Yay for adult couples.
I'm going shopping for authentic Japanese instant ramen with a bunch of American stuff in it after I'm done with work, so I'll add the list then. Especially when it comes to literature I don't know many yuri stories, so that was really helpful.

Pekoe:
Didn't know Nami, thanks.

The sequel for Touchwood isn't very much like the first book though. It's not a bad romance story, but a very strange choice for how to follow the original story up. It's got good characters, that's where Kallmaker's real strength lies, but idk if I'd recommend it all the same.

GendoIkari Uploader
Tsuglenda
joined Aug 10, 2011

Shaw x Root 4 evur.

HypocriticalLiar
Capture
joined Feb 23, 2015

GrimGrimoire is super cute (it's a PS2 game). It's just heavy subtext, but honestly it's heavier than half the sfw manga on here. You can also play it via emulator if you know how. But I did actually buy it.

It also helps that the game is addicting as hell. :3 It's a short (10-hr ish from what I remember?) fantasy-puzzle type genre. I'd completely forgotten about it until I saw this post...It's been a while since I've played it, so I might go back and do so hah.

There's also the K-Drama (one of my favorites of all time) Painter of the Wind.

As for the couples: There's a love triangle between main character (girl pretending to be a guy), her mentor (a guy), and an entertainer (a girl)

As for which couple wins: It's heavily implied that m.c. leaves to chase the entertainer

Plus, in South Korea, the main character and the entertainer won best couple award. Which surprised everyone, including the actresses. It was kind of funny...the main actress handled it much better than the one that played the entertainer. You should watch the awards video when/if you get a chance (if you haven't already)!

last edited at Jun 8, 2015 2:51PM

Billportrait
joined Jan 17, 2014

Umineko has two witches, Lambdadelta who is head over heels for Bernkastel,though she (actually both are) is batshit insane about it. It makes sense in context

The central conflict of the series is different though, so while they are technically major players, this aspect is only lightly touched upon

Depening on how you interpretate the information given, Jessica x Shannon also counts

Higurashi novel has some huge subtext from Rika to Satoko which the two witches are based on but they are like 9. Mentally Rika is crazy old and still can't get away from Satoko for long

Can't find the pic anymore but the scene went somewhat like this:
Rena ''Why? Why can't Rika sleep without Satoko?''
Shion: ''Because Satoko needs to comfort her body''

Kira had my favorite moments where this shined through http://imgur.com/a/Dxp4g

last edited at Jun 8, 2015 2:54PM

Animeyuridanshismall
joined Apr 25, 2014

Lonely Yuri
Minakata Sunao did the art for it.

mind = blown
ive been thinking that the art looked familiar for a while now, but i just couldnt put my finger on it.

OriginalGengar
Kira%202
joined Nov 29, 2014

So I got around to start the list. I know there's a lot more and I got some lists with more stuff but that's all I feel like doing today, basically. If like, the mods wanna just edit the list directly instead of posting it in the comments, then that'd be awesome, actually.

Also, the When They Cry franchise seems really confusing and I don't know if I added the right things.

last edited at Jun 8, 2015 6:27PM

Rsz_eiji_3_-_kopie
joined Feb 16, 2015

what about The L Word, never forget

Z%20ss
joined Oct 15, 2013

for VNs you can add:

Flower Garden (free game)
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=25436

Katahane
https://vndb.org/v22

Sugar's Delight (free game)
https://visuallyneko.wordpress.com/visual-novel-downloads-windows/sugars-delight-for-windows-linux-and-mac/

Anyways, Cooking With Lesbians is pure gold.

EDIT: for movies:

D.E.B.S.
^ it's a cheesy spy movie.

last edited at Jun 8, 2015 6:58PM

Kitsune Spirit
Kokkurisanicon
joined Apr 8, 2013

Strange Empire had yuri main characters, but cbc decided it was a fantastic idea to cancel the show, even though it was apparently popular... >. <

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

To be honest, I tried watching The L Word and hated it. I simply couldn't get to like any of the characters.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

EDIT: for movies:

D.E.B.S.
^ it's a cheesy spy movie.

D.E.B.S. was awesome!

Oh, and a weirdly fun little "horror" movie that just ends up being really nifty instead I watched a while ago called Memento Mori would be worth looking up. Worth it for the amazing design of the exchange diary the girls keep/kept and the wonderfully surreal ending.

A2bcf11834a1918b3f09b4219b2a099f_r
joined Aug 16, 2014

Wait, no movies yet? There are so many... Some that I liked:
Bye Bye Blondie, Kyss Mig, La vie d'Adèle, Jack & Diane (probably my favorite, also: Juno Temple ♥♥♥), the Whispering Corridors (Korean horror franchise, the first ones have some subtext, second one has a explicitly lesbian couple; don't remember about the others), Butterfly (chinese movie)...

Will try to remember some more later

EDITing to add stuff: Lost and Delirious, Cracks (more Juno Temple; also Eva Green)

last edited at Jun 8, 2015 9:01PM

Ejej
joined Aug 24, 2014

The thing about The L Word is that you'll love it for being unrealistic, or you'll hate it for being unrealistic. There's really no space for in between. So it's kinda debated whether or not the series is worth your time. I mean, I managed through- out the series, but it never wowed me. Basically, if you just want some Les action, the series is good for you, but if you want a stable plot development, eh, not so much.

HypocriticalLiar
Capture
joined Feb 23, 2015

Since none mentioned Butterfly, there's another Taiwanese movie Spider Lilies (canon couple). I don't remember the exact ending, but I think it ended well as I only have positive feelings towards the title.

There's also another drama (this time Japanese) called Last Friends. This is basically some sort of love pentagon, but the MC's best friend is in love with her, and in the very first episode kisses her. It's a pretty innovative drama, as the "best friend" may actually be transgendered/transsexual (from what I remember), but is oppressed by both society and her family.

As for the ending, it's left ambiguous, but the resolution is nice, even if it ends as a love square.

last edited at Jun 8, 2015 9:18PM

joined Aug 16, 2014

I was disappointed by Spider Lilies, but I guess it has more to do with me being too hyped by the summary (and the fact that it took me forever to finally get the movie) than by any fault it had.

Norainhere Uploader
2hu%20cats
joined Jun 27, 2014

Did the cartoons I posted not count?

OriginalGengar
Kira%202
joined Nov 29, 2014

^missed those, sorry. I'll add them in like an hour or two with everything posted before as well as Out With Dad, missed that too. Not too sure on the Adventure Time cartoon though, I watched the first two seasons and don't remember too much subtext or even interactions. Does it pick up afterwards? And it's been a while so maybe I'm just missing stuff.

Anyways, Cooking With Lesbians is pure gold.

Seriously guys, everybody should watch Cooking With Lesbians. "If you're a manly lesbian you can just rip it open with your hands. But I'm gonna use them scissors cause that's what lesbians do: We scissor things." should be all the reason you need.

Thanks for all the series and stuff, by the way.

last edited at Jun 8, 2015 10:28PM

Norainhere Uploader
2hu%20cats
joined Jun 27, 2014

^missed those, sorry. I'll add them in like an hour or two with everything posted before as well as Out With Dad, missed that too. Not too sure on the Adventure Time cartoon though, I watched the first two seasons and don't remember too much subtext or even interactions. Does it pick up afterwards? And it's been a while so maybe I'm just missing stuff.

They broke up like way before the show started so they're more like friendly exes, though there are still some scenes in the show with the two like here and here. Although Finn's apparently with Bubblegum as per the season 6 finale, not sure of the circumstances though because I haven't seen it yet, the comics (which are official but may be within another continuity) has the two being rulers of the Candy Kingdom together with them about to be married sometime in the next few years, although that happens way in the future. In general, the comics have more subtext. But yeah, Adventure Time doesn't have particularly many scenes with the them. This page has a pretty comprehensive list of their moments, if you're interested.

Another show that has lesbians would be the Filipino drama The Rich Man's Daughter. Haven't seen much yet, but it's definitely gay. Funnily enough, my grandma was watching it earlier.

Also about Faking It, it has lots of controversy to be sure of the premise but Amy is definitely gay, she even gets a real girlfriend later.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Bye Bye Blondie, Kyss Mig, La vie d'Adèle, Jack & Diane (probably my favorite, also: Juno Temple ♥♥♥), the Whispering Corridors (Korean horror franchise, the first ones have some subtext, second one has a explicitly lesbian couple; don't remember about the others), Butterfly (chinese movie)...

Memento Mori, mentioned in the comment above yours, is second in the Whispering Corridor series, and apparently one of the first Korean films to have lesbian characters. I've got it on DVD, although I haven't watched it for a while.

joined Aug 16, 2014

Memento Mori, mentioned in the comment above yours, is second in the Whispering Corridor series, and apparently one of the first Korean films to have lesbian characters. I've got it on DVD, although I haven't watched it for a while.

Yes, 2nd was my favorite of the series (3rd one is good too). First and third are also a teensy bit gay (subtext only, tho)

To reply you must either login or sign up.