joined Dec 7, 2014

finally some bubbline here !

Ahri_by_kittew-d9c0y0n%20-%20copia
joined Mar 13, 2016

Needs moar sugarless gum~

agree 100% pls upload more

Tumblr_3d1efdc4f3fb1ee16acd2f13f08afe0c_1e0d545a_12802
joined Mar 8, 2014

there's a new episode with lots of subtext!! season 7 episode 27, have you watched it?! >.<

Avatar_200px_moyashimon_aspergillus-oryzae
joined Mar 14, 2014

I just looked for it after your comment. I hunger for more than subtext!
Has anyone read Marceline Gone Adrift?

E
joined Feb 8, 2014

I just looked for it after your comment. I hunger for more than subtext!
Has anyone read Marceline Gone Adrift?

Duh! It was gayer than what I had seen before. We could slightly see how their relationship was like in the past, then this happened nearly in the end. I wish these comics were canon(I assume that's canon tho) Look at this babes

Roomfortwo
joined Feb 11, 2014

Considering the regular comic kinda make them canon, will have to check that one if that's even gayer. XD

Kitsune Spirit
Kokkurisanicon
joined Apr 8, 2013

Bubbline ftw!! ❤❤❤

Jackavi
joined Feb 23, 2014

Considering some of CN's Polls recently and the fact that they only let sugar have gay couples if she had the excuse of "they are totally agender space rocks guys dont worry about it" I'm really thinking all the cute bubbline moments are nothing more than queer bait at this point, if they are not going to go through with it they should stop dropping hints.

drpepperfan Admin
Ss%20(2018-09-18%20at%2004.40.05)
joined Oct 12, 2010

That sounds like a pretty bad plan to be honest.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Considering some of CN's Polls recently and the fact that they only let sugar have gay couples if she had the excuse of "they are totally agender space rocks guys dont worry about it" I'm really thinking all the cute bubbline moments are nothing more than queer bait at this point, if they are not going to go through with it they should stop dropping hints.

It's less queer bait so much as putting in as much as they possibly can, and using the other media the characters appear in (comics particularly) to make it more clear. There's nothing malicious or tricky about it as far as I can see.

Soralaylaff
joined Oct 16, 2013

I personally don't see it as queer bait if they are restricted by the network. In that sense, it's better that they try to shove in as much content they can instead of completely taking it out. If shows don't even have subtext anymore, I think that's a big step back in eventually getting queer characters on a children's network.

Tumblr_3d1efdc4f3fb1ee16acd2f13f08afe0c_1e0d545a_12802
joined Mar 8, 2014

sigh~~ does anyone know specific chapters of the comic that have subtext? I generally don't really like Adventure Time so I'm not so interested in reading it XD I don't like Fin and Jake that much ^-^''' I like Marceline and Bubblegum even if they're not together though I think, maybe Marceline a bit more? She's sooo cool ^///^

Roomfortwo
joined Feb 11, 2014

Don't remember the exact volumes on top of my head, but the two more obvious are the "memory eater" story arc then the one with the mind reading creatures. Think those are past vol. 30, but not sure. Those two goes a bit beyond regular subtext and you can feel the authors went as far as they could get away considering the intented audience.

Though there's still ways to go, it's nice that western kid shows starts depicting relationships that goes beyond "here's a boy, here's a girl, both main characters, of course they'll end up together, that's how love work !" Of course I don't expect them to go too far with it, even with het relationship, those shows rarely goes beyond confessing, eventually a kiss and even those tend to be pretty rare, but gay characters being "open" with their relationship or love interest without going over the top are still kinda lacking.

E
joined Feb 8, 2014

sigh~~ does anyone know specific chapters of the comic that have subtext? I generally don't really like Adventure Time so I'm not so interested in reading it XD I don't like Fin and Jake that much ^-^''' I like Marceline and Bubblegum even if they're not together though I think, maybe Marceline a bit more? She's sooo cool ^///^

I love every character but Marcy is an exception and probably the reason why I love bubbline so much. Here is the list that I see/feel subtext in there: ch.23,24,30,33,34,40,47
this
this part

last edited at May 1, 2016 5:25AM

Kitsune Spirit
Kokkurisanicon
joined Apr 8, 2013

CN can't show gay stuff because their shows are aired into countries that have anti-gay laws - or so I read somewhere. So they don't want their shows heavily censored.

Rosenakahara
Jackavi
joined Feb 23, 2014

CN can't show gay stuff because their shows are aired into countries that have anti-gay laws - or so I read somewhere. So they don't want their shows heavily censored.

steven universe shows everywhere.

drpepperfan Admin
Ss%20(2018-09-18%20at%2004.40.05)
joined Oct 12, 2010

Yes, and it got heavily censored in a recent episode in the UK. And that's the UK, not a country with anti-gay laws.

Kitsune Spirit
Kokkurisanicon
joined Apr 8, 2013

I can't explain England, they're odd ducks anyway. :p

last edited at May 1, 2016 5:11PM

Vegitab%20profile%20pic%20smoll%20tumblr
joined Sep 21, 2014

Yes, and it got heavily censored in a recent episode in the UK. And that's the UK, not a country with anti-gay laws.

why and what was censored?

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

why and what was censored?

A romantic dance scene between Rose and Pearl was switched out for repeating footage of other characters, while a similar scene with Steven's parents in the same episode was left intact.

Cartoon Network UK's justification was as follows. Note that the British rating system explicitly allows kissing and cuddling without a PG rating.

“The US broadcast system requires that shows are marked with a rating –in this case PG (parental guidance necessary). In the UK we have to ensure everything on air is suitable for kids of any age at any time.
“We do feel that the slightly edited version is more comfortable for local kids and their parents.
“We have an ongoing dialogue with our audiences and our shows reflect their preferences. Research shows that UK kids often watch with younger siblings without parental supervision.
“Be assured that as a channel and network we celebrate diversity – evident across many of our shows and characters.”

Kitsune Spirit
Kokkurisanicon
joined Apr 8, 2013

We celebrate deversity in our shows, as long as they aren't cartoons!

Stardusttelepath8
joined Oct 15, 2014

Beep beep, here comes the canon train.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Oh lol I just heard the news too (didn't saw the episode/movie) but yeaaaahhhhh

last edited at Sep 3, 2018 8:29PM

T%e1%ba%a3i%20xu%e1%bb%91ng
joined Mar 20, 2017

^
^^
Wat?

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Super spoilers of course https://youtu.be/tE-QCupRy98

To reply you must either login or sign up.