Forum › Bloom Into You discussion

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

^Eh, we already had our dead sister drama.

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

Honestly, the only drama I expect is with Yuu's family.

Don't%20forget%20the%20best%20girl
joined Jul 22, 2018

No kiss :'(
but this chapter was cute, Touko' s blushing face is adorable

S-l225
joined Jun 28, 2016

Nah if that happens we will find out that Yuu’s mum had a thing with Touko’s mum and it all be smoothed over.

joined Oct 22, 2018

Nah if that happens we will find out that Yuu’s mum had a thing with Touko’s mum and it all be smoothed over.

[insert "Thor/Daenerys sceptical face" meme here]

Bldrnner
joined Mar 3, 2019

[insert "Thor/Daenerys sceptical face" meme here]

Holy shit, I say. LOL.

Itwouldbe-yuriscans
joined Oct 30, 2018

when saeki smack yuu's face my mind inserted a nuclear explosion on the background

matsuri_wins
4bbe1078a9d82bf519de9e5fc56dee60
joined Feb 18, 2018

Finally read the chapter, pretty late in the game. I honestly think it was adorable and well-delivered. Reminds me of when my I got together with my 1st gf, their behaviour is very realistic just after a mutual confession :-)

Sayaka is a bit too understanding for her own good. Maybe I am a little a-hole after all, but I never had a case where I lost the girl to someone else and honestly wished all goes well between them lmao

last edited at Jun 4, 2019 8:17AM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Maybe I am a little a-hole after all

Know thyself, sayeth the sage. :)

Sayaka has been depicted as (slightly) better than us mere humans all along. Better than me, certainly.

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

Is it really so odd to have basic human decency? If you love someone, you want them to be happy, no? If not, then all you wanted was your own happiness.

It would be a different matter if Yuu was bad for Touko (in Sayaka's eyes), but despite their differences she has never looked down on Yuu. Sayaka had already accepted never confessing to Touko in the first place, so it is far easier for her to accept this than for someone who has been pursuing her forever.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Is it really so odd to have basic human decency? If you love someone, you want them to be happy, no? If not, then all you wanted was your own happiness.

It would be a different matter if Yuu was bad for Touko (in Sayaka's eyes), but despite their differences she has never looked down on Yuu. Sayaka had already accepted never confessing to Touko in the first place, so it is far easier for her to accept this than for someone who has been pursuing her forever.

Eh, I agree on the surface, when I broke up with my last relationship I wished nothing but the best for her. Eventually. It hurt a lot at the time, but I want her to be happy and I just had to accept that I wasn't the way to make that happen.

But sometimes a relationship ends because you've been actually wronged, which makes it a lot harder to be magnanimous, so I'm not gonna get judgey when somebody says they don't want their ex to be happy. ;p

Capturedsfdsss_x213
joined Mar 16, 2018

Sayaka is just respecting a worthy opponent after all, Yuu basically trounced her from day one. Her last minute confession was but a desperate hail mary whilst the opposing team is already up by 14 points with ten seconds to go.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Sayaka is just respecting a worthy opponent after all, Yuu basically trounced her from day one. Her last minute confession was but a desperate hail mary whilst the opposing team is already up by 14 points with ten seconds to go.

Accurate enough as a summary of the outcome, but your metaphor reminds us that Touko’s original love epiphany about Yuu was that Yuu didn’t want anything from Touko.

“Everybody” wanted Touko to be perfect (or so Touko believed).
The parade of confessants, male and female, wanted Touko as a lover.
Sayaka wanted Touko as a friend (or so she led to Touko to believe).

The point is that, because she (silently) wanted something more from Touko that she was willing to give, Sayaka never had a chance—Yuu outplayed her by not playing the same game.

(That’s why there’s always been the slightest whiff of tsundere about the otherwise darling, doting Yuu—Touko could only be wooed by a total disavowal of courtship, and Yuu even convinced herself that the things she did for her senpai she “would have done the same for anybody.”)

joined Oct 22, 2018

Accurate enough as a summary of the outcome, but your metaphor reminds us that Touko’s original love epiphany about Yuu was that Yuu didn’t want anything from Touko.

The point is that, because she (silently) wanted something more from Touko that she was willing to give, Sayaka never had a chance—Yuu outplayed her by not playing the same game.

(That’s why there’s always been the slightest whiff of tsundere about the otherwise darling, doting Yuu—Touko could only be wooed by a total disavowal of courtship, and Yuu even convinced herself that the things she did for her senpai she “would have done the same for anybody.”)

While she did (for a time at least) convince herself that she "would do the same for anybody", she also simultaneously convinced herself that "anyone would do the same thing" as well (if I remember correctly from the last time I rewatched the anime, at least).

joined Nov 5, 2017

Tsundere...? Yuu?
I do believe her when she said she would have done the same for anybody. I mean Yuu during the first 2 volumes. She joined the softball team because her friend asked her to. She is that kind of person who would do things for the sake of others, she is a caretaker. She joined the Student Council because a girl needed her and Yuu thought she was the only one who could help her (something Touko explicitly told her). Nothing necessarily romantic about that, I can see Yuu doing it for others as well. Maybe, there were some very tiny feelings by the time chapter 7 hit, when Yuu was worried about Touko before herself, but this is still Yuu-like behavior. Like I said, all things Yuu did for Touko from chapters 1-9 she would do for anybody else, since they weren't strictly romantic things (excluding Yuu agreeing to kiss,since this was her being interested on romance and finding a chance to experience that on Touko).
It becomes an entire different situation in chapter 16, when Yuu was clearly in denial. Ofc there is nothing "normal and not special" about kissing senpai and liking all of those things about her she listed. But this isn't Yuu being tsundere, it's rather the consecuence of being forbidden to fall in love with the person she wants to love. From here on, I can't really remember Yuu saying her "I would do it for anybody else" phrase. Just more moments of denial and repressed feelings.

last edited at Jun 5, 2019 12:44AM

S-l225
joined Jun 28, 2016

As a complete aside, Touko and Yuu appear in Tonikaku Cawaii chapter 48 page 5. Sorry for betraying Yuri gods but I a soft spot for romances.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

moments of denial and repressed feelings.

You’ve just cited the absolute essence of tsundere.

And there was a reason I used the phrase “slightest whiff.”

last edited at Jun 5, 2019 2:00AM

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

Yuu is basically constantly in denial about her feelings and says harsh things to push Touko away despite not actually wanting to... Pretty tsundere.
Now whether that tsundereness is forced on her or actually an aspect of her personality that rarely comes out, who knows?

But sometimes a relationship ends because you've been actually wronged, which makes it a lot harder to be magnanimous, so I'm not gonna get judgey when somebody says they don't want their ex to be happy. ;p

Of course that's a little different from a straight up rejection. Breaking up means you were already together and that rarely ever ends pretty.
What bothers me is the "That could have been me! I am way better than her!" shit. Accept your loved ones choices. Unless they are truly detrimental to her health or future.

joined Nov 5, 2017

moments of denial and repressed feelings.

You’ve just cited the absolute essence of tsundere.

And there was a reason I used the phrase “slightest whiff.”

No? Touko is the reason this happened. If this was a trait of Yuu, it should continue even in chapter 41, but now Yuu can be as expressive and honest as she wants. Not even a trace of "slighest whiff" imo. The most tsundere Yuu I've seen was in chapter 32 and that's probably it.
Guess I dislike those kind of terms applied in yagakimi characters because I see them as framing the characters into sterotypes.

last edited at Jun 5, 2019 5:20AM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

^ Dear lord, this is mere definitional fundamentalism. Anyone can occasionally show elements of a character trope (as even you admit Yuu does at least once) without “being” that character type.

“Stereotypes” apply when a character (or real-life person) is understood as having no other characteristics than those of the stereotype.

This whole discussion is irrelevant to the point I raised, which is the absurdity of the premise that enables this extremely grounded and non-absurd story:

Yuu: “I can’t fall in love with anyone, and I won’t fall in love with you.”

Touko: “OMG! That’s the hottest thing I’ve ever heard!”

joined Oct 22, 2018

Yuu: “I can’t fall in love with anyone, and I won’t fall in love with you.”

Touko: “OMG! That’s the hottest thing I’ve ever heard!”

That's a hilarious way to accurately describe most of this manga.

KingdomofBlue
joined May 23, 2019

Omg thiss chapter got me so happy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
All those subtle thingss going on !! and the unknown strange yet exciting feeling coming with it. All of this is so realistic !! Remind me of my first love!

letsgolesbians
Artsy%20draw
joined Mar 24, 2019

Omg thiss chapter got me so happy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
All those subtle thingss going on !! and the unknown strange yet exciting feeling coming with it. All of this is so realistic !! Remind me of my first love!

Ikr!! they’re just too cute

matsuri_wins
4bbe1078a9d82bf519de9e5fc56dee60
joined Feb 18, 2018

Yuu is basically constantly in denial about her feelings and says harsh things to push Touko away despite not actually wanting to... Pretty tsundere.
Now whether that tsundereness is forced on her or actually an aspect of her personality that rarely comes out, who knows?

Of course that's a little different from a straight up rejection. Breaking up means you were already together and that rarely ever ends pretty.
What bothers me is the "That could have been me! I am way better than her!" shit. Accept your loved ones choices. Unless they are truly detrimental to her health or future.

I was just being honest. I bet most people say these things, that they are "happy for the other person" after being rejected and the girl they like chose someone else, but it's just rationalization. The person considered you unfit for being with them, and thinks someone else is better. The message is clear, that you are not good enough for them, which is why it hurts usually.

So I'd never stick around to see the girl I'm into being all lovey dovey with someone else...At least for me it's a matter of self-respect lol Which is apparently what Sayaka lacks, since she is going to keep being friends with Touko despite crushing on the girl for what seems like years.

Only after I don't care anymore and have someone else, would I then become friends again. If I was Sayaka I would submit my StuCo resignation next day and ghost from the "friendship" :P But Bloom Into You is so extremely PC, obviously that won't happen.

last edited at Jun 6, 2019 4:23PM

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

I was just being honest. I bet most people say these things, that they are "happy for the other person" after being rejected and the girl they like chose someone else, but it's just rationalization. The person considered you unfit for being with them, and literally considered someone else better. How can you be ok about that?

I'd never stick around to see the girl I'm into being all lovey dovey with someone else. At least for me it's a matter of self-respect lol Which is apparently what Sayaka lacks, since she is going to keep being friends with Touko despite crushing on the girl for what seems like years.

Only after I don't care anymore and have someone else, would I then become friends again. If I was Sayaka I would submit my StuCo resignation next day and ghost from the "friendship" :P But Bloom Into You is so extremely PC, obviously that won't happen.

There is a stark difference between self-respect and overblown pride. What you valued about your crush didn't just disappear. The situation is exactly like pre-confession, but without the tension of uncertainty.
The natural distance of friends is more than enough. She is now in a relationship anyway, so she will spend less time with you by default.

If Sayaka acted like a drama queen and cut all ties to cry herself a river over how unfair and a dumdum Touko is, she would actually lose all the self-respect you purport she lacks. Even pride can make you act like a proper friend and accept your loss gracefully.

If you abandon someone you love, because they don't love you back, then you never cared about their side. It was just your self-important desire. Does Sayaka seem like someone who would act that way? And more importantly, if she was, wouldn't that make her a worse character?
(The answer is yes.)

last edited at Jun 6, 2019 4:25PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.