Forum › A Kiss And A White Lily discussion

Capture%20sakukallen
joined Apr 17, 2015

Chappie out. \o\ More Yurine angst, and a sort of epiphany. But god Canno is good at facial expressions. Now I'm not sure if "what happened in middle school" is simply Yurine generally being an ass or if she also did something less than commendable in the process… ####'s grudge seems pretty deep-rooted.

(also, for anyone wondering who the two girls at the beginning are…)
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/a_kiss_and_a_white_lily_ch04#31

The title of the chapter is "You are (not) alone"?
We Evangelion now?

That's just a joke title I made up. The chapter doesn't have a title (yet).

last edited at Jul 5, 2017 8:11PM

We Evangelion now?

joined Feb 18, 2015

Good chapter.

People who hold a grudge from middle school like that and can't accept a sincere apology are worse than the person who was rude to them in the first place. (And it probably suggests that Yurine hit too close to home with her criticism of her in middle school.)

Copy90_90_zpscf246422
joined Sep 18, 2014

We Evangelion now?

FFIX. Needs the music though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tog9GjczJVE

I really like this chapter since it resonates within me a bit.
A person who's good at everything doesn't have any interest in anything.

Nico%204
joined May 26, 2015

Good chapter.

People who hold a grudge from middle school like that and can't accept a sincere apology are worse than the person who was rude to them in the first place. (And it probably suggests that Yurine hit too close to home with her criticism of her in middle school.)

Yeah... I get that in middle school some people can already be aware of whatever harm they're causing and consequences of their actions, but there are others who don't. That girl, in my opinion, is just a piece of shit who can't take being outdone. But that's just using the little information that was given. Anyway, even if Yurine did way more than that, it's not like she committed a crime, I hope. That being said, holding a grudge that far even when the other person apologizes like that, I can't see her as any less of an asshole than Yurine might have been.

On the other side, I'm the kind of person who, if someone fucks with me, will never again be giving them a chance to do so. However, if I see genuine regret, I will forgive the person, although I will be wary of them from then on. I can kinda see that girl's side, but what she did is just too extreme to me...

Edit: Also, I doubt Yurine went out of her way to bully/harass them. From what I saw, she was just doing her thing and when she was harassed, defended herself as best as she could.

last edited at Jul 5, 2017 10:28PM

cookiemonster
joined Jul 5, 2017

It's nice to see more of Kurosawa's vulnerable side.

Wooper
joined Oct 25, 2015

Really enjoyed this chapter. Been a while since I felt this way about this manga.

joined Aug 10, 2016

I hope #####-chan actually shows up more and isn't some throwaway character

Ran-lossy
joined Mar 22, 2015

From what I understand, ##### probably couldn't accept the apology because it wouldn't feel right: she would also need to apologize.

She knows what she did was bad too, but she can disguise that by making Yurine the eternal villain by not accepting her apology. Yurine is a better person than ##### even if ##### doesn't want to face reality that neither of them was very nice back in middle school (and, more presently, ##### still isn't nice).

On the other side, I'm the kind of person who, if someone fucks with me, will never again be giving them a chance to do so. However, if I see genuine regret, I will forgive the person, although I will be wary of them from then on. I can kinda see that girl's side, but what she did is just too extreme to me...

I think you have to keep in mind that apologizing like Yurine did is a sign that she changed as a person due to her growing up. I'm guessing a lot of us are older than the characters in the story and well...adults usually don't just go through sudden epiphanies that they are growing up and it is time to be a kind and more mature person. It either happened already or it won't ever happen for most people.

last edited at Jul 6, 2017 2:40AM

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

I love this chapter and it's why i think the main couple are the main couple. They're both more broken than either of the girls in the sempai/kouhai gardening club psychodrama. It's become a really gritty love story, though it still has plenty of humor. They're moving further away from Ayaka's big fear, that Yurine could replace her with anyone similar without breaking a sweat.

I also still love the fact that one of the main couple is named "Yuri, ne?"

last edited at Jul 6, 2017 3:32AM

Marion Diabolito
joined Jan 5, 2015

I think Kurosawa's personal name suggests Yurine ユリ球根 Edible Lily Root. Is there any way Shiramine Ayaka's name could mean something to do with a kiss?

Marion Diabolito
joined Jan 5, 2015

Also is Cider and Crybaby in the same world?

Chinatsu%202
joined Jan 27, 2016

Wow, actual character development for the main pairing! It's been a while.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

I don't like how they treated Yurine.

It's the usual thing. You hammer in the nail that sticks out.

Instead of trying to get better (like Shiramine did), they excluded Yurine because she was too good so it was like "cheating". No wonder she was bitter and looked down on them. Not a single one tried to improve. They just either idolized her ("she's something else") and so she wa dismissed as an anomaly, or they made sure she didn't outshine them by excluding her.

I actually don't see why she should apologize. if you feel inferior, just get better.

And that's why she loves Shiramine.

Capture%20sakukallen
joined Apr 17, 2015

I hope #####-chan actually shows up more and isn't some throwaway character

Since her name is deliberately obscured, we'll probably see her again, yeah. And I think there's more that happened than what we saw. #### doesn't just say that she still hates Yurine but that the other girls do too. I can buy #### being an immature dick who just can't let it go, but all the others too? Unless she's lying of course. But her grudge seems really disproportionate from what we've seen.

By the way, I really like how this chapter puts a new light on the end of chapter 1. "So you're saying stuff like that too, huh, Shiramine?"

Also, I think Genki Girl Ai doesn't get enough credit. She's the first and almost only person who doesn't treat Yurine as a rival, an idol, a crush or a sandbag, but simply as a friend. In a sense she's almost as important as Ayaka is to her.

@Marion: The edit button. You can use it. X) Regarding the names, I simply noticed that there was some sort of alliteration with ShiramInE AyAkA and KurosAwA YurInE. Otherwise, Shiramine means "white peak" and Kurosawa "black swamp"…

And no, this is probably not the same universe as Cider.

last edited at Jul 6, 2017 10:42AM

Ran-lossy
joined Mar 22, 2015

I actually don't see why she should apologize. if you feel inferior, just get better.

Yeah, it is ambiguous what Yurine is apologizing for exactly, but I would guess it is more of a "I wish I'd been nicer to you about how much better I was."

It is also probably why ##### won't accept it. Being nicer wouldn't have changed the fact that Yurine was a lot better than her.

She didn't want Yurine to be nicer in the past, she wanted Yurine to just not exist. So an apology is meaningless.

last edited at Jul 6, 2017 11:56AM

Mostly%20sunny
joined Oct 26, 2016

Wow.
Volleyball girl really can't take the banter.

Capture%20sakukallen
joined Apr 17, 2015

Unless there's something else she's apologizing for… I mean, Yurine is melting in that left panel. It really seems to me like she's remembering a specifing event.

Updated chart (and simplified version), with a subtle change in the middle. :þ

59453ac1563a3102b9b5731298ad55a7
joined Aug 31, 2014

This last chapter really hit hard, I too never found anything to be passionate about. I'm still in my early 20's, so I hope that i can found something someday.

i'm the same, it made this chapter especially touching.
I really hope we get more of the main couple for a while.

Marion Diabolito
joined Jan 5, 2015

My mental summary of this series is still "Comprehensive Tovarisch, done right."

Blackness
joined Jul 7, 2017

What's this manga about?

Capture%20sakukallen
joined Apr 17, 2015

You mean AnoKiss or Tovarisch?

(I'm still waiting for the end of the latter so I can read it, by the way. TT.TT)

last edited at Jul 7, 2017 1:51PM

Edit
joined Apr 30, 2016

Instead of trying to get better (like Shiramine did), they excluded Yurine because she was too good so it was like "cheating". No wonder she was bitter and looked down on them. Not a single one tried to improve. They just either idolized her ("she's something else") and so she was dismissed as an anomaly, or they made sure she didn't outshine them by excluding her.

And that's why she loves Shiramine.

Very well put. Couldn't have said it better myself :))

Webp.net-resizeimage%20(1)
joined Apr 19, 2012

Hope Mizuki and Moe at least speak more than 3 sentences in the next chapter!

I can't believe they spoke just enough to fulfill my wish from last chapter haha

That said, out of curiosity, didn't Ayaka touch Yurine's right hand? I'm just slightly thrown off because I instinctively know that she's supposed to be kissing the hand that Ayaka's touched, but it seems like it's the wrong... hand? Minor blip. It was cute as always.

To reply you must either login or sign up.