Forum › Anime season

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

The question that remains is, what's the deal with weird-green-bunny-thing-chan?

Vegitab%20profile%20pic%20smoll%20tumblr
joined Sep 21, 2014

Hm. Wtv, you're also voicing the same elements, but you broke them down differently/with a different perspective in mind. It sorta makes more sense, if you do take into consideration that their relationship has ambiguous romantic undertones, that Cocona and Papika are currently more than "just friends", tho it isn't clear where the line would be drawn (and likely as much for the viewers than Cocona herself, tho however Papika specifically feels, whether it's romantic or not, her feelings are basically still a hell lot of love)
If they were strictly "just friends", it's pretty much an overreaction imo, that the mere idea that Papika had another friend close to her (and that she could be replacing her, tho the revelation of one close friend doesn't confirm her suspicions ofc) was that shocking to Cocona. It's not like they can only have one close friend. Besides that'd low key make Cocona sorta hypocritical, to be close friends with both Papika and Yayaka. But that's only if you see it all as purely platonic and "just friends". (What I find interesting to consider now, Wtv, is that you reminded me that maybe it's not all thaaat platonic.) What I'm thinking about rn is... if Yayaka is fine, but Mimi not, then perhaps... Yayaka and Mimi are simply not on the same level. The way Cocona sees her friendship with Yayaka is not on the same level Cocona sees her relationship with Papika, which is perhaps more "special" and "exclusive" in a way, the way their relationship is, the way they trust each other, the way they fight and protect each other, the way they're always seeking each other out when apart. It's not a relationship you have with just anyone, probably. That Papika previously had the same, and perhaps more authentic relationship with someone else, one that makes Corona feel like it invalidates what they have, is uh, alarming I guess. I suppose that a partnership is more exclusive and all too.
And like mentioned before by many others, I guess it really all did escalate for Cocona. Apparently there was another girl before her, and worse, that her current "special relationship" with Papika only exists because Mimi is somehow out of the picture.
Lmao I lost my train of thought. I do see the big picture and understand why it leads to Cocona being upset, but it's still weird to me, that first reaction. It feels like jumping the gun. I guess if you reconsider it all with the idea that their relationship is ambiguously romantic (whether Cocona is conscious of it or not herself), and that she suspects Papika's relationship with Mimi to be the same, then I guess.... feels of jealousy and betrayal and all... probably

Kayo
joined Sep 9, 2016

Izetta was so gay this week. Again. That Aladdin moment was beautiful. A whole new world!

Kururi
joined Aug 25, 2015

If they were strictly "just friends", it's pretty much an overreaction imo

That's the problem. I don't think it's overreaction even if Cocona only sees her as friend.
That's something I argue a lot already in other animes, because some people don't understand that it's actually pretty belieavable.
It's selfish? Yeah, it's a character flaw. But pretty plausible.

Unless you mean overreaction as "Cocona is being stupid". Then I agree, although it's kinda harsh to put it like that. But it's not a writting flaw, as people usually like to put it when something like this happens. It happens quite a lot in real life too.

But yeah, I do believe Cocona also loves her in a romantic way, tbh. Just saying that it would be ok even if she didn't.

Lmao I lost my train of thought. I do see the big picture and understand why it leads to Cocona being upset, but it's still weird to me, that first reaction. It feels like jumping the gun.

It is jumping the gun, though. And it's entirely Cocona's fault. I don't think the show is putting it otherwise.
In the end, peoples realationship (be it romantic or not) would be way easier if they actually talked more instead of judgings things early based on just their feelings. But that's how it works, anyway.

Img_20220214_023902-min
joined May 10, 2014

Oh **** Izetta was actually kinda...good this week! even the doc became a little more interesting. Implied kiss?! wha-!

Vivid strike: was decent, slightly odd animations but it was fun FUUKA! WIFE GET!

SB69A: poor cute, innocent, and gay Queen of darkness. Her story was short but effective...and dark.

joined Sep 21, 2014

This pic (which is adorable, with lil cuddly Tama and Ruler not being mean), + the comment that went with it:

They actually animate it! How she cares about her subjects.
Thank God.
Pretty much everyone in Tama's family gives up on her yet Ruler doesn't give up on Tama.

I never cared about Ruler, but this killed me lol, especially Tama's flashback, it made me feel so fucking sad, it actually made me care about Ruler, or at least, how Ruler mattered to Tama. They almost always show you like, the worst out of everyone EXCEPT when they die (tho sometimes, it might not even give you positive impressions of them), and it's all about ppl being imperfect, scared and human. I'm so fucking soft gdi, Tama's flashback to Ruler being patient and taking the time to explain everything to her legit made me reevaluate my entire impression of Ruler. It's probably ridiculous but it legit redeemed her entire character for me, and now I just feel like shit because we barely ever saw Ruler and her group being actually nice to each other, and now it turns out that, as selfish as they all seemed (except Tama, Tama was just a insecure lil pup tbh), Tama was legit happy and felt like she made friends and had a place where she belonged and I just feel so damn sensitive and sad about it. Tama looked so fucking happy when she realised that Ruler was nice :'( Iirc, Tama cried when Ruler died, I think she was the only one, as the angels cheered and celebrated the death of the "meanie/bully". She was the only one who didn't know that they were planning to overthrow Ruler. It's pretty harsh, when you realise that Swim2 manipulated her into her plan, and that Tama actually thought that Ruler was nice and mourned her death.
I'd read about Tama and Ruler just chilling like all SoL tbh. It's silly but I really would, a world where everyone can try not to kill each other and just chill and actually fucking live ;n;
The conflict of finding these battle royale plots intriguing and watching them, because I also feel bad about ppl dying ;_____; Likely also 10 times worse that everyone is all cute lil magical girls
Ngl, if/when Swim Swim dies, I'll probably feel bad about it too, in spite of everything she did
I feel really hurt about Tama, Alice's deaths. They were nice girls, who lived painful, lonely lives. I really wanted to see them happy.

last edited at Dec 12, 2016 2:09AM

joined Sep 21, 2014

ITS HAPPENING
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-12-12/a-centaur-life-manga-has-anime-project-in-the-works/.109811

Oh shit
I've only read a few chapters of that but it seemed chill and all I should go read it soon I guess
But damn, that's great news, I'd watch that

Kururi
joined Aug 25, 2015

ITS HAPPENING
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-12-12/a-centaur-life-manga-has-anime-project-in-the-works/.109811

And it probably will only adapt the gayest part of it.
I mean, I have vol 8 and 9 on the shelf but didn't read it yet. Still, I saw people saying the plot got way too weird.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Wtv posted:

ITS HAPPENING

I mean, I have vol 8 and 9 on the shelf but didn't read it yet. Still, I saw people saying the plot got way too weird.

I need to start reading it, but it isn't just monster girls doing cute things in class? is there something more ?

Kururi
joined Aug 25, 2015

Wtv posted:

ITS HAPPENING

I need to start reading it, but it isn't just monster girls doing cute things in class? is there something more ?

Hm...
People might think it's spoiler, so I'll hide, it, but...
There's strong social commentary about racism and such.
Aliens.
Flashback of the time of war and slavery.
And that's because apparently I still didn't get to the part where it starts to get really weird.
It's a pretty weird manga to be animated, actually. I think it might be OVAs or something.

Actually, it's quite different from the usual cute girls doing cute stuff. There's even actual homossexual couple, that talk about homossexuality openly.
Even about lesbian sex.
And other kinds of stuffs that usually you don't find in slice of life mangas.

last edited at Dec 12, 2016 9:01PM

Heavy%20cruiser%20160
joined Apr 27, 2013

So table tennis is now about Agari getting over her ex. Why isn't this open yuri?

ITS HAPPENING

Huh, this'll be odd. The manga isn't very well suited to adaptation; the stories are of wildly varying length, genre, and character focus. It'll be difficult to make something coherent of it while doing justice to the source material. Also, it gets weird

joined Feb 15, 2013

Flip Flappers Ep 10, Jealous Cocona is jealous.

That ending kinda shocked me a bit. Because I kept thinking that Cocona is Mimi for some reason (despite it was pretty obvious). But thinking about it, this is like a josei/seinen romance plot. where daughter fell in love with her mom's friend, and get jealous when her affection is overshadowed by said friend's affection toward her mom. .

last edited at Dec 13, 2016 8:43AM

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

I'm gonna start watching Bungou Stray Dogs, according to some friends it's pretty good (mostly thanks to season 2)

Kayo
joined Sep 9, 2016

Long Riders: Indirect kiss! And it seems their friends also ship Aoi and Ami: their smiles say it all, no need for words!

Img_20220214_023902-min
joined May 10, 2014

So table tennis is now about Agari getting over her ex.

I wouldn't say her ex, but there's definitely something going on there, especially on Bear-chan's side.

Why isn't this open yuri?

Because we don't live in that hypothetical perfect world.

Z%20ss
joined Oct 15, 2013

ITS HAPPENING

hmm... Looking forward to this I guess...
(hoping the lesbian couple gets their screen time)

joined Jan 4, 2014

I am thinking of watching kiddy-grade. Does it have any yuri/subtext? wanted to confirm to avoid any disappointment.

Only very slightly tinted goggles required, so I'd give it a pretty strong "yes" on the subtext side. It's not a bad anime imho, but neither is it all that memorable I find (which is not a prerequisite in order to enjoy it, of course, and to be clear: it is fun to watch; but it stays in the "popcorn binge watching material" space, rather than on the "classic favourites" side of things).

Dynasty%20necromancer
joined Mar 6, 2014

Please someone tell me this is a mistake!
They wouldn't fuck up so hard, would they?
They wouldn't bring back Gohan into action after so long and completely fuck up his hair like that would they?
He'll actually transform and his hair will be back to normal just like in the opening right?
RIGHT???

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Even if I gave up on Euphonium, I check the previews of the next chapters from kyoani channel and I like to read bits of the ann reviews, this week's review made me laugh

This week's Sound! Euphonium revolved around a nearly impossible task: making the audience care about Reina's feelings for Taki.

Even if they concluded that useless "romance" I'm not gonna pick it up again... If they don't acknowledge the real romance, no matter how good the music performance can be, I don't want bs in my computer.

Rsz_eiji_3_-_kopie
joined Feb 16, 2015

As expected, new Euphonium episode was bait. And still, here I am, hoping for the real thing.

joined Oct 5, 2016

The thing that drives me nuts with this season is that Season 1 had already felt like it really, really moved past yuri-baiting. There's a sense of physical attraction and flirting that most yuri-bait shows never really have. The show has het folks having het romances, but Kumiko is never really part of that, and then Shuuichi exists pretty much only as a foil to show how uninterested Kumiko is in him and by contrast how she's very into Reina. He's into her, and so he invites her to the festival and to practice music with him. She declines both, and does them instead with Reina.

Right up until S2E1 the camera really follows Kumiko's eyes as she's obviously checking out Reina, everything is designed to be read as a romantic relationship. When they're alone together they're even more physically intimate, it's a great little suggestive detail that KyoAni didn't just add in on accident.

It also worked really well thematically. Kumiko's whole story arc is season 1 is rejecting just going along and fitting in with the group, to pursue what she wants even if it costs an upperclassman their seat in the band or causes hurt feelings. If you read Kumiko as gay, then she's undergoing a similar journey regarding her sexuality. Unlike a lot of All-Girls school yuri where homosexuality is kind of the only available flavor of romance, all of Kumiko's friends are straight, there's a boy who likes her, there's other straight couples in band. But instead of going along with all of that, she pursues Reina.

And then it suddenly just all stopped. Shots of Kumiko checking out Reina or vice versa were no longer used. It's not even a case of, "Just kidding it was bait all along!" They've completely changed how they portray their interactions and feelings from season one.

So what happened, did the publishers of the novel complain and tell them to stop making it so damn gay? Did KyoAni just lose their nerve or was there a staff change in season 2 who wanted to take things in a different direction? I really don't get it.

last edited at Dec 14, 2016 8:02PM

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Kyoani is going to say "Its just a joke bro!" ... Really, I'm very disappointing.

In another note... http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-12-14/saint-seiya-saintia-sho-spinoff-manga-gets-anime/.109910 !!!! GIRLS IN ARMOR

I remember reading a couple of chapters, it was good... I don't know how it's been since then so let me just ask THAT question... Does it have subtext or yuri? because you know... Female warriors xP

With or without yuri, I'll watch it, I didn't watch the recent adaptations of Saint Seiya because of the poor animation

last edited at Dec 14, 2016 10:17PM

Dynasty%20necromancer
joined Mar 6, 2014

In another note... http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-12-14/saint-seiya-saintia-sho-spinoff-manga-gets-anime/.109910 !!!! GIRLS IN ARMOR

I'm impressed that Saintia Sho is actually getting an anime before Next Dimension
If the second season of Omega and Soul of Gold is any indication, than this will unfortunately be animated like total trash

To reply you must either login or sign up.