Forum › You know you've been reading too much yuri when...

69c76a90jw1exw6rq32l5j215o1jkwwc
joined Jun 1, 2013

when I'm a guy
I'm a girl

I avert my eyes when het scene is on the screen too, especially in theater, on tv I just change channels until that het scene is gone ' v ' .

last edited at Sep 3, 2014 9:46AM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

OMG I thought I was the only person who had that problem!! I realized it a few years ago that watching a girl and a guy kiss is just kinda gross... Two girls or two guys kissing doesn't bother me though.

#fujoshimoments

xD

me likes....hahaha xD)

bah, a guy and girl, BORING! 2 girls or 2 guys? yeah baby, yeah!

Someone on my Tumblr feed suggested this idea about a month or so ago, but I think it might have merit. You know how a lot of yaoi fans are lesbians? Well, the suggestion is that it's not so much male/male sex or romance that's being sought after, but homosexuality in general. That seems to feed into what you're saying there, 2 girls or 2 guys is great, because homosexual pairings are awesome and that's as big a deal as whether it's yaoi or yuri in particular.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

when I'm a guy
I'm a girl

I avert my eyes when het scene is on the screen to, especially in theater, on tv I just change channels until that het scene is gone ' v ' .

I tend to forget het exists, so I get surprised when women on screen mention a boyfriend or kiss a dude.

Dynasty%20necromancer
joined Mar 6, 2014

The "harem girls ditching the guy for yuri greatness" almost happened in Kämper (8:45) By the way please don't watch this anime

Screen%20shot%202014-09-27%20at%2012.20.44%20am
joined Mar 5, 2012

The "harem girls ditching the guy for yuri greatness" almost happened in Kämper (8:45) By the way please don't watch this anime

Whaaat? In Kämper?? Damnit, not returning to it then

Kokkurisanicon
joined Apr 8, 2013

What do you mean "almost" that was totally happening lol.

Dynasty%20necromancer
joined Mar 6, 2014

What do you mean "almost" that was totally happening lol.

After that they go back to chase the MC's skinny ass, so yeah...

Kokkurisanicon
joined Apr 8, 2013

Reading yuri manga from the likes of Takemiya, Shuninta, Fujio made me realize that it's not unusual to focus solely on drawing girls,,, I always thought I was a bad artist because that's all I draw. I can draw guys but... they usually look kinda feminine or sometimes they just look like meatheads lol.

Dynasty%20necromancer
joined Mar 6, 2014

Meanwhile i have problems drawings guys that aren't beefed up

joined Mar 23, 2013

This would be ideal. And also provide a good explanation for why harem guys are so blind to the advances of multiple attractive women

Well can you blame them? They're average joes, why would these girls be interested in them? Sort of like how girls tell themselves no guys want them because they feel they aren't beautiful enough.

the same applies here, that guy believes he has nothing of value so why would girls be interested in him?

Reading yuri manga from the likes of Takemiya, Shuninta, Fujio made me realize that it's not unusual to focus solely on drawing girls,,, I always thought I was a bad artist because that's all I draw. I can draw guys but... they usually look kinda feminine or sometimes they just look like meatheads lol.

It's funny that a lot of artist in general have issues drawing believable boy/men. You'd think because they are flat as board and have no curves it would make everything easy starting with clothing, but it almost feels like it's so simple that it becomes hard. Y'know what I mean?

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

the same applies here, that guy believes he has nothing of value so why would girls be interested in him?

Well, most harem dudes I've seen really don't have anything of value to them. Only exceptions that come immediately to mind are Tenchi who's genuinely nice and does become more than that, and Negima, who's pretty damn impressive even from the start. But then, both stray into adventure rather than remaining pure harem.

It's funny that a lot of artist in general have issues drawing believable boy/men. You'd think because they are flat as board and have no curves it would make everything easy starting with clothing, but it almost feels like it's so simple that it becomes hard. Y'know what I mean?

It takes a pretty in-depth knowledge of anatomy to really pull off a variety of types. It's a bit easier in cartooning when you can work with simple shapes more, but with realistic figures you have to work a bit more. I can't remember who said it (Mike Matessi, maybe?), but the idea is you draw a generic head or arm or torso or whatever over and over again until you've mastered it, and that knowledge allows you to then draw specific heads at will.

To be honest, a lot of fanartists don't really go through that repetitive training stage. Which isn't necessarily bad since fanart is about enjoying and sharing the love, rather than being a detailed illustrator. However, it does get difficult to work outside your comfort zone, whether that's focusing on males or females, beefy types or waifs.

joined Mar 23, 2013

Well, most harem dudes I've seen really don't have anything of value to them. Only exceptions that come immediately to mind are Tenchi who's genuinely nice and does become more than that, and Negima, who's pretty damn impressive even from the start. But then, both stray into adventure rather than remaining pure harem.

It didn't used to be this way, but the shounen genre harem/comedy sub-genre evolved like that, now pretty much everything is beta MC. It's funny because everytime a MC is half-competent and uses his brain and applies logic the comments on forums are all "I like this MC, omfg this is revolutionary!!!!1Shift11!!!".

It takes a pretty in-depth knowledge of anatomy to really pull off a variety of types. It's a bit easier in cartooning when you can work with simple shapes more, but with realistic figures you have to work a bit more. I can't remember who said it (Mike Matessi, maybe?), but the idea is you draw a generic head or arm or torso or whatever over and over again until you've mastered it, and that knowledge allows you to then draw specific heads at will.

To be honest, a lot of fanartists don't really go through that repetitive training stage. Which isn't necessarily bad since fanart is about enjoying and sharing the love, rather than being a detailed illustrator. However, it does get difficult to work outside your comfort zone, whether that's focusing on males or females, beefy types or waifs.

Very true that drawing over and over will make it easier, just look at Takemiya Jin or artists that recycle character designs. They do it because it saves them time, they can do it their eyes closed.

Working outside comfort zone also yields mixed result, just like every "action scene" by shoujo mangaka. These past few years there's been a lot of Historical/adventure/fantasy shoujo series that are still ongoing and every time I see a fight scene I can totally see these mangaka have never done any work when it comes to movement and such, everything is so static. Worst "sword fights" ever!

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Working outside comfort zone also yields mixed result, just like every "action scene" by shoujo mangaka. These past few years there's been a lot of Historical/adventure/fantasy shoujo series that are still ongoing and every time I see a fight scene I can totally see these mangaka have never done any work when it comes to movement and such, everything is so static. Worst "sword fights" ever!

Well yeah, most shoujo turns me off not because of the story much of the time but because the art's so incredibly stiff. Naoko Takeuchi was actually pretty good (and got better as she went along) at action, although having a shounen manga author as a husband probably helped. But much of the rest, I'm like do you even know what a line of action is? Do you even anatomy, bro?

joined Mar 23, 2013

Well yeah, most shoujo turns me off not because of the story much of the time but because the art's so incredibly stiff. Naoko Takeuchi was actually pretty good (and got better as she went along) at action, although having a shounen manga author as a husband probably helped. But much of the rest, I'm like do you even know what a line of action is? Do you even anatomy, bro?

Yeah, it's all very stiff. Speaking of Naoko and anatomy, she's like... the worse offender right along CLAMP when it comes to that. Fingers, hands, legs... All can be as long as my person sometimes I swear to god.

last edited at Sep 3, 2014 6:13PM

Kokkurisanicon
joined Apr 8, 2013

It's probably silly, but I regress into a squealing teenage girl when people I am fans of respond to my comments:

https://twitter.com/takemiya_jin/status/506459098649350144/photo/1

Also some really pretty Takemiya art in that link. :)

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

It's probably silly, but I regress into a squealing teenage girl when people I am fans of respond to my comments:

Yeah, I was pretty floored when José-Luis Munuera (at the time, the artist for Spirou) replied to my saying I loved his art on an English message board.

https://twitter.com/takemiya_jin/status/506459098649350144/photo/1

Also some really pretty Takemiya art in that link. :)

NGL, that's some pretty sweet art.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

I was so dissapointed with RWBY and how they're introducing new male characters... And Weiss is falling for one of them! #RUINED they betrayed those five thousand fanart in DA.

PS I was once asked why I don't draw guys and is because they're boring, you can't play with their style as much as the girls, still I tried making guys so to see if I could

http://s14.postimg.org/hl6hlokld/PICT0014.jpg
http://s14.postimg.org/q4pvjfsxt/prototipo.jpg
Didn't finish them... dunno if I ever will.

Kitsune nop, it's not silly it is incredible :P

last edited at Sep 3, 2014 9:32PM

Konami
joined Jan 18, 2014

I was so dissapointed with RWBY and how they're introducing new male characters... And Weiss is falling for one of them! #RUINED they betrayed those five thousand fanart in DA.

PS I was once asked why I don't draw guys and is because they're boring, you can't play with their style as much as the girls, still I tried making guys so to see if I could

http://s14.postimg.org/hl6hlokld/PICT0014.jpg
http://s14.postimg.org/q4pvjfsxt/prototipo.jpg
Didn't finish them... dunno if I ever will.

Kitsune nop, it's not silly it is incredible :P

rwbys kinda disappointing me too but Im still holding out for ruby x weiss

Kokkurisanicon
joined Apr 8, 2013

http://dreamingxashley.deviantart.com/gallery/

This is my stuff... I have some new art, I just havent gotten around to uploading it.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

This is my stuff... I have some new art, I just havent gotten around to uploading it.

Oooh I love to see original styles, don't stop creating!
I don't know what kind of style I have... I know is rought and tends to be dark, I tried making something cute once, like "Okay... maybe if I add a ribbon here...NOP! now she has horns" so making yuri it's difficult ... But it doesn't stop me.

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

Ah, we've got some artists in this thread! That's pretty sweet. Maybe some day I'll have enough confidence to post something...

I believe inari kokon koi iroha has something going on in the background http://i.imgur.com/NHjGMGK.jpg But I must continue with the manga to see if "something" flourish...

Real spoiler; She gets rejected.

Don't worry. The male characters are basically carbon copies of each other - they're clearly just there to eventually be paired off for some high-quality yaoi. I BELIEVE!

Kokkurisanicon
joined Apr 8, 2013

I liked RWBY back before they crammed cardboard-kuns into the show.

Oooh I love to see original styles, don't stop creating!
I don't know what kind of style I have... I know is rought and tends to be dark, I tried making something cute once, like "Okay... maybe if I add a ribbon here...NOP! now she has horns" so making yuri it's difficult ... But it doesn't stop me.

I started drawing some yuri pics between a fox girl and a nekomata girl which I think are really cute, I even did a 4-koma style strip about them going out to eat (it's sloppy and needs to be drawn better), lol.

I'll see about scanning them in and sharing it by the weekend. :)

last edited at Sep 3, 2014 11:14PM

Tmp_bh7jrkjcyaakw52-1123006053
joined Apr 15, 2011

cardboard-kuns?????

yay! uploaded to here or elsewhere?

Webp.net-resizeimage%20(1)
joined Apr 19, 2012

Speaking of avatars, I finely added the one I've been thinking of for months.

I think you've passed a point of no return when you start losing interest in het manga/anime... I need that spicy/sweet flavor of yuri (and even yaoi sometimes).

I still like the het manga/anime that I liked before I found yuri, but it's hard for me to work up the interest to try new het titles, no matter how good they are supposed to be.

^this

It's really weird though, at least for me. Somehow it either opened a new door for me, or opened my eyes and gave me permanent yuri goggles, because I can't stop yuri pairing everybody now. It's both a blessing and a curse.

This is not to say I don't appreciate good het couples though. My standards have kinda... raised, I think?

Kokkurisanicon
joined Apr 8, 2013

cardboard-kuns?????

yay! uploaded to here or elsewhere?

^////^ I dunno if it's good enough to be uploaded here, or if I am even allowed.

And yes, Cardboard-kun, the new name for all 1D harem MC's lol.

To reply you must either login or sign up.