Forum › Puella Magi Madoka Magica discussion

Yandere%20=%20423182%20-%20copy
joined Nov 29, 2013

I suggest tag: Mami x Nagisa

Norainhere Uploader
2hu%20cats
joined Jun 27, 2014

Apparently there are a couple crack pairings from some official spin-offs: Hitomi x Mami and Hitomi x Homura

Animeyuridanshismall
joined Apr 25, 2014

Apparently there are a couple crack pairings from some official spin-offs: Hitomi x Mami and Hitomi x Homura

well when you think about it, those pairings are basically canon due to how the madoka world works.

joined Jul 7, 2015

You both don't know how canon in Madoka works.
PSP games are *official not canon & nothing officially supports crack, alt, or different pairs.

Feather
joined Feb 4, 2017

I'm new here so I don't know how it works, but I submitted an upload request for a doujin I uploaded on imgur for Madoka Magica (I was the typesetter). How long does that process normally take?

Reimu-pet-cirno
joined May 17, 2013

Continuing from the image thread:

It might help to look at things in broad context: it took Madoka twelve episodes of character development to make the choice to become Godoka. Homura used one line from an amnesiac Madoka to justify her actions. She's not acting in favor of Madoka's happiness when she does it; Homura's simply forcing Madoka to live in a world she dreamt up - the one where she succeeds in her all-consuming quest to prevent Madoka from becoming a magical girl.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Polycell posted:

Homura's simply forcing Madoka to live in a world she dreamt up - the one where she succeeds in her all-consuming quest to prevent Madoka from becoming a magical girl.

You mistyped "keeping her promise to Madoka that she made at the point where she basically suffered a mental break".

Green Melon posted:
I know this is pretty late but @cannibal in the new world didn't Homura rewrite the world to erase the existance of magical girls and need for entropy to somehow be taken care of by the Incubators?

During her ascension scene she states to Kyuubey that the Incubators have become necessary and the post-credits scene seems to strongly imply that she's dumping curses into them or something.

Cannibal posted:
Kyubey knew about the law of cycles since the beginning. At the end of the original series he makes note about the law of Cycles that all magical girls know about. He knows full well that the law exists, the whole point is trying to control it. A random magical girl, who he already thinks has a mental illness, telling him about coming from a different universe isn't going to give him the idea to try and control the law that wastes potential energy.

Don't forget that Madoka's ascension resulted in Homura's mental state taking a nosedive and her seriously questioning her own sanity. That's directly what resulted in her losing hope to set the stage for Kyuubey and the Incubators to run their little experience in Rebellion.

Capture
joined Dec 12, 2016

Continuing from the image thread:

It might help to look at things in broad context: it took Madoka twelve episodes of character development to make the choice to become Godoka. Homura used one line from an amnesiac Madoka to justify her actions. She's not acting in favor of Madoka's happiness when she does it; Homura's simply forcing Madoka to live in a world she dreamt up - the one where she succeeds in her all-consuming quest to prevent Madoka from becoming a magical girl.

You forget that Homura has spent over a decade going through the same month over and over again. She has known Madoka for almost as long as she has known herself. Madoka was even the one that told Homura to stop her from making the stupid decision to become a magical girl right before she had Homura mercy kill her.

When was it established that Madoka was happy not existing? She is happy not being able to spend time with her family or that her family doesn't even remember her? I highly doubt that. She chose to sacrifice herself to save magical girls from becoming witches, just because she doesn't regret that decision doesn't mean that she is happy. Besides does Homura not deserve to be happy?

How is Homura any different than Madoka? Was Madoka's universe not simply forcing Homura to live in a world she dreamt up? The one where she succeeds in her all-consuming quest to prevent the creation of witches? Homura repeated what Madoka did in order to fix all her mistakes.

Don't forget that Madoka's ascension resulted in Homura's mental state taking a nosedive and her seriously questioning her own sanity. That's directly what resulted in her losing hope to set the stage for Kyuubey and the Incubators to run their little experience in Rebellion.

Well, not really, it would have just taken longer. All Magical girls eventually lose their magic, either through overuse or despair, and have to be taken by Godoka. It was only a matter of time until it was Homura's turn to clock out and the incubators would have been there to do the experiment.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Cannibal posted:

Well, not really, it would have just taken longer. All Magical girls eventually lose their magic, either through overuse or despair, and have to be taken by Godoka. It was only a matter of time until it was Homura's turn to clock out and the incubators would have been there to do the experiment.

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong. I'm not actually debating what you were saying. I was just saying that Homura's mental state is something that should be taken into consideration is all and it's through no fault of her own. From my personal point of view it's actually more Madoka's fault than Homura's. (Edit: To clarify a bit on this I don't mean it's all Madoka's fault or even mostly. Just more so hers than Homura's is all. I don't particularly fault either of them for the most part.) Granted at the end of the series she couldn't know exactly what Homura had been through but after she ascended she makes it quite clear that she's now completely aware of everything Homura has suffered through for her sake.

So her plan during Rebellion is pretty short-sighted all things considered. And the short-sightedness of that plan combined with Homura's already unstable mental state plus the shock of realizing she'd become a witch means that Homura's desperation to protect Madoka while Madoka, Nagisa, and Sayaka seemed to completely underestimate the Incubators (something they've had a history of doing in every single timeline no matter what Homura tries to convince them otherwise) would ultimately result in her taking drastic action. If you understand the logic behind emotions then it's actually a perfectly logical conclusion to come to. And one that's actually a lot more rational than her mental state might initially lead one to believe.

last edited at May 7, 2017 12:14AM

Happy%20face
joined Oct 12, 2016

I think that both of Madoka and Homura's miracles/damnations can be pretty easily argued as acts of love and authentic, reasonable concern for the others happiness. The only real moral difference between them that stuck out to me was that Madoka's miracle preserved the institution of magical girls because she still seemed to value the agency of girls sacrificing themselves for miracles, but Homura's damnation seemed to happily eradicate the whole institution of magical girls and their sacrifices - since I got the impression that the incubators are now being used as curse sacks that are too fucked up to grant wishes.

Reimu-pet-cirno
joined May 17, 2013

You forget that Homura has spent over a decade going through the same month over and over again. She has known Madoka for almost as long as she has known herself. Madoka was even the one that told Homura to stop her from making the stupid decision to become a magical girl right before she had Homura mercy kill her.

Homura became utterly monomaniacal about stopping Madoka from making that wish that why she was doing it became a secondary concern. How Homura treats Madoka's actions makes it fairly clear that, even after all that time, she still didn't understand her any better; it simply reduced her to the state where her monomania was the only thing keeping her from loosing it completely.

When was it established that Madoka was happy not existing? She is happy not being able to spend time with her family or that her family doesn't even remember her? I highly doubt that. She chose to sacrifice herself to save magical girls from becoming witches, just because she doesn't regret that decision doesn't mean that she is happy. Besides does Homura not deserve to be happy?

It's not established that Madoka's happy in Homura's fake world, either. One thing we see throughout the series is that Madoka's at her worst when there's nothing she can do.

How is Homura any different than Madoka? Was Madoka's universe not simply forcing Homura to live in a world she dreamt up? The one where she succeeds in her all-consuming quest to prevent the creation of witches? Homura repeated what Madoka did in order to fix all her mistakes.

What Homura did is almost impossible to differentiate from holding someone in a cellar "for their own good". Madoka's actions are more akin to jumping out in front of a car to push someone else out of the way. And, like I mentioned, we can see throughout the series that, if Madoka was in that position, she would never be able to live with herself if she didn't make that leap.

Capture
joined Dec 12, 2016

Homura became utterly monomaniacal about stopping Madoka from making that wish that why she was doing it became a secondary concern. How Homura treats Madoka's actions makes it fairly clear that, even after all that time, she still didn't understand her any better; it simply reduced her to the state where her monomania was the only thing keeping her from loosing it completely.

I don't understand where you are drawing these conclusions from. How does Homura's treatment of Madoka's actions show that she doesn't care how Madoka feels? She is literally fulfilling a last request directly from a dying Madoka, and was most likely asked of her more than once. Madoka even says herself that she wouldn't want to leave her family and friends, she was wrong about not being strong enough to make the sacrifice but it clearly shows that if there was another way she would have preferred that.

It's not established that Madoka's happy in Homura's fake world, either. One thing we see throughout the series is that Madoka's at her worst when there's nothing she can do.

It was easily established when you see her laughing while unpacking with her family. Everyone is at their worst when they feel like there's nothing they can do about their crappy situation. Just like what Madoka did to Homura when she ended up sacrificing herself anyways despite all of Homura's effort to save her and then removed her time magic to prevent her from trying to fix everything.

What Homura did is almost impossible to differentiate from holding someone in a cellar "for their own good". Madoka's actions are more akin to jumping out in front of a car to push someone else out of the way. And, like I mentioned, we can see throughout the series that, if Madoka was in that position, she would never be able to live with herself if she didn't make that leap.

How is what Homura did any different? By your own analogy, Homura would be the person yanking Madoka out of the road right after she pushed the other person out of the way. Madoka made the sacrifice and Homura saved her from having to live forever like that. Madoka made that leap when she needed to but after falling it was Homura that caught her hand to pull her back up.

last edited at May 7, 2017 6:11PM

Animeyuridanshismall
joined Apr 25, 2014

Screen%20shot%202022-12-24%20at%201.57.08%20am
joined Jun 11, 2016

When Madoka made her wish to erase all witches from the Past/Present/Future I don't think she had a very good grip of how her Wish would affect Homura emotionally. So when Homura took Madoka down to earth and wiped her memory, I doubt that Madoka (Or any of the magical girls) would understand why Homura would do such a thing. I think the whole reason why Sayaka painted her to be the bad guy is because she had no idea that Homura had endured year's upon year's of suffering.

And I doubt it would take long for Sayaka to convince Madoka that Homura has indeed screwed thing's up. So while it is indeed true that Homura made the right decision to take matter's into her own hand's when taking Madoka's memory, Madoka may not understand Homura's intention's and may paint her to be the Villain as well. That's what Homura was probably referring to what she said that Madoka may become her enemy at some point.

Reimu-pet-cirno
joined May 17, 2013

I don't understand where you are drawing these conclusions from. How does Homura's treatment of Madoka's actions show that she doesn't care how Madoka feels? She is literally fulfilling a last request directly from a dying Madoka, and was most likely asked of her more than once. Madoka even says herself that she wouldn't want to leave her family and friends, she was wrong about not being strong enough to make the sacrifice but it clearly shows that if there was another way she would have preferred that.

That's the thing: she was basing her actions always on previous Madokas. When confronted with the final Madoka, the one trying to save her from becoming Homulily, she did little to find out what she truly wanted and took the same radical attitude she'd developed when try to save previous Madokas from Walpurgisnacht.

It was easily established when you see her laughing while unpacking with her family. Everyone is at their worst when they feel like there's nothing they can do about their crappy situation. Just like what Madoka did to Homura when she ended up sacrificing herself anyways despite all of Homura's effort to save her and then removed her time magic to prevent her from trying to fix everything.

Homura's time magic was incidental to her wish to save Madoka. Since she was now in a rewritten reality where Madoka couldn't die or become Kriemhild Gretchen, her magical girl powers would naturally be rewritten as well. And it's not like Homura wouldn't have met Madoka when her work on earth was through.

How is what Homura did any different? By your own analogy, Homura would be the person yanking Madoka out of the road right after she pushed the other person out of the way. Madoka made the sacrifice and Homura saved her from having to live forever like that. Madoka made that leap when she needed to but after falling it was Homura that caught her hand to pull her back up.

If Homura merely "saved her from having to live forever like that", she wouldn't have sealed Madoka's memory and trapped her in a false reality. She might be "justified" in splitting her from the Law of Cycles, but beyond that Homura is effectively denying her right to her own agency.

Capture
joined Dec 12, 2016

That's the thing: she was basing her actions always on previous Madokas. When confronted with the final Madoka, the one trying to save her from becoming Homulily, she did little to find out what she truly wanted and took the same radical attitude she'd developed when try to save previous Madokas from Walpurgisnacht.

Previous Madoka's are the same Madoka with her memories erased. If you want to treat other Madoka's like their opinions don't matter then Madokami is no different, Madokami was just another version. She literally asked Madoka what she wanted, she wanted to stay with her friends and family. Take away the knowledge of the suffering of magical girls as they turn into witches and Madoka wants to be back home with everyone. Homura is just doing what Madoka asked of her.

Homura's time magic was incidental to her wish to save Madoka. Since she was now in a rewritten reality where Madoka couldn't die or become Kriemhild Gretchen, her magical girl powers would naturally be rewritten as well. And it's not like Homura wouldn't have met Madoka when her work on earth was through.

We know that Madoka has the power to rewrite powers and wishes, she explained to Sayaka that she chose to keep Sayaka's wish intact. Madoka had control over whether or not Homura kept her initial wish and thus her power. Homura has no idea what that means to be taken by the cycle. Do they cease to exist, do they spend eternity with Madoka, or do they go to magical girl heaven where everyone gets cake and ice cream? There was never a guarantee that they would be reunited again. Also there is homura's need to make Madoka happy, is she happy to be forgotten by her family and friends? Most likely not, even if they spend eternity together that doesn't mean that Madoka is entirely happy with it.

If Homura merely "saved her from having to live forever like that", she wouldn't have sealed Madoka's memory and trapped her in a false reality. She might be "justified" in splitting her from the Law of Cycles, but beyond that Homura is effectively denying her right to her own agency.

First off, why call it a fake reality? It's just as real as what Madoka set up. Secondly, she sealed Madoka's memories because if she didn't she would rejoin the law of cycles. And denying her right to her own agency? You mean like she has pretty much done with everytime she went back in time and exactly what Madoka did to everyone in the universe?

joined Jun 11, 2016

You don't get over someone that quick. Sayaka was ready to live the Magical Girl life presumably forever just to give Kyousuke his arms back. This image looks so much like she is in a deep depression combined with some rebounding. She is full Yandere at this point and would probably go devil mode right now if there was a Madoka nearby to tear apart.

You're making it sound like Kyousake is the reason Sayaka was suffering. But here's the thing, Sayaka wasn't suffering because of Kyousake. Or rather, Kyousake is just a very minor reason why Sayaka was suffering. The main reason Sayaka was suffering was because of her realization that she wasn't human. She couldn't take the fact that her soul was basically just turned into Jewelry and is basically a Lich.

last edited at May 30, 2017 8:56PM

007b
joined Jun 12, 2014

You don't get over someone that quick. Sayaka was ready to live the Magical Girl life presumably forever just to give Kyousuke his arms back. This image looks so much like she is in a deep depression combined with some rebounding. She is full Yandere at this point and would probably go devil mode right now if there was a Madoka nearby to tear apart.

You're making it sound like Kyousake is the reason Sayaka was suffering. But here's the thing, Sayaka wasn't suffering because of Kyousake. Or rather, Kyousake is just a very minor reason why Sayaka was suffering. The main reason Sayaka was suffering was because of her realization that she wasn't human. She couldn't take the fact that her soul was basically just turned into Jewelry and is basically a Lich.

I'm not really talking about the show here. The image we were discussing showed her stating that she no longer cared about someone who she dedicated herself to a life of battle for and almost instantly turning to Kyouko for love and comfort. Kyouko even states that she's not behaving normally before Sayaka, suddenly very touchy-feely, looks at her with Yandere eyes and states that she no longer cares about her former lover. This image is very clearly showing someone going into a weird post-breakup depression.

last edited at May 30, 2017 10:52PM

Capture
joined Dec 12, 2016

I'm not really talking about the show here. The image we were discussing showed her stating that she no longer cared about someone who she dedicated herself to a life of battle for and almost instantly turning to Kyouko for love and comfort. Kyouko even states that she's not behaving normally before Sayaka, suddenly very touchy-feely, looks at her with Yandere eyes and states that she no longer cares about her former lover. This image is very clearly showing someone going into a weird post-breakup depression.

Isn't the whole point of Kyubey using teenage girls in the middle of puberty because their emotions are extreme and erratic? Quick to devote their lives to the person they love, quick to go into a murderous rampage when that love doesn't work out, quick to get over that love once they have calmed down and quick to move onto that next person. Rebellion does have Sayaka stating that she is over Kyouske.

last edited at May 31, 2017 3:41AM

joined Jun 11, 2016

Kyouko even states that she's not behaving normally before Sayaka, suddenly very touchy-feely, looks at her with Yandere eyes and states that she no longer cares about her former lover. This image is very clearly showing someone going into a weird post-breakup depression.

Yandere eyes? Those don't look like Yandere eyes at all. What the image was trying to say was that Sayaka doesn't care about Kyousake not because she's obsessed with Kyouko, But because her heart leans towards her now. There's a difference between Obsession and love, Rebellion show's us that.

007b
joined Jun 12, 2014

I think what both of you are forgetting is that rebellion takes place after Sayaka has been living in Nirvana making peace with her witch form. Of course she would have been over it by then.

@cannibal. You forgot "quick to fall into suicidal depression." teen suicide exists and happens for often stupid reasons that seem important to spoiled teenagers.

@sf. They looked very much like yandere eyes. I am aware of what the image was tryimg to say but I am saying that it can easily be interpreted in a horribly different way.

Rabu2
joined Apr 22, 2019

With the new Magia Record anime airing soon, a quick refresher might be in order: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=d-FcS0EEnYY

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

What is the chronology of the anime episodes and the movies?
Is it, like, first the anime season, and then the 3 movies consecutively (as how I understood from Wikipedia) or is it even slightly different?

last edited at Nov 3, 2019 2:42PM

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

BV posted:

Is it, like, first the anime season, and then the 3 movies consecutively (as how I understood from Wikipedia) or is it even slightly different?

First 2 movies are a recap, so watch anime and then jump to third movie.

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

BV posted:

First 2 movies are a recap, so watch anime and then jump to third movie.

OK. Thanks.

last edited at Nov 9, 2019 4:47PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.