Forum › Stretch discussion

Yurifaceapproved3%20copy
joined Sep 10, 2014

I think that bit at the end was pretty significant, where Ran asks about nightmares. After all, at least part Kyouko's trauma was centred around her miscarriage, and the fact that she's okay around kids now and is no longer having nightmares about it suggests she's healed quite a lot. And, more troubling for Ran, may now be less adverse to a "normal" relationship with a man.

The bit in the music store was interesting though, suggesting that there are depths to Ran that simply aren't obvious at first glance. Nice that Keiko's noticing that.

Thks for sharing your thoughts, I was quite lost with this one.

joined Jul 31, 2013

Looking at Ran's expressions in the last two pages hurts my heart.

Yeah, agreed. Last panel of page 7 :<

Man, I just love this series more and more with each chapter. It's so simple and comedic but has a subtle depth that draws you into their lives and everyday things..

Yeah, just like Prism really. I hope Show keeps fighting for yuri!

HypocriticalLiar
Capture
joined Feb 23, 2015

oh gosh, Keiko's whole comment of "She started copying me so I thought I'd just teach her..."

I can relate to this so much.

When I was a kid, I was in the park with my dad. This lady started jogging past me, and I thought it'd be a great lark to see if I could keep up. So I --moronically-- ran after her. I'd keep pace with her for about ten seconds, then I'd have to stop, huffing and puffing. Then I'd run after her again. The same thing happened about three or four times lol. The lady was so amused. She was a really good sport about it though. I don't know if I'd be as nice, now, to a crazy 8-something yo interrupting my morning jog.

Side Note:

This chapter really felt like a date. If it was a holiday, why were they meeting up? They freakin' live together...

last edited at May 6, 2015 11:31PM

DschingisKhan
Khancrop
joined Feb 18, 2013

This date-like atmosphere is just too much. Next thing you know, they're going to hold hands. In public!

But why is Ran is listening to an album of the thing that goes doink? Why is there an album of the thing that goes doink? Not just that, but that was a Best Of, so it stands to reason that there must be others in the genre.

joined Oct 10, 2014

Hahah this subtle yuriness is killing me. Not that it's dissatisfying though :))

Mika-icon
joined Jan 31, 2013

But why is Ran is listening to an album of the thing that goes doink? Why is there an album of the thing that goes doink? Not just that, but that was a Best Of, so it stands to reason that there must be others in the genre.

I thought you were just being silly by calling it that, but then I found that the TV Tropes page for it really is The Thing That Goes Doink.

last edited at May 7, 2015 1:13AM

Ava
joined Dec 25, 2013

As for me, this series should really continue like this forever ^_^
The ever-present subliminal Yuriness, and the subtle hints from time to time like in this chapter makes you wonder what's really going on in their heads and gets your imagination going. I think this atmosphere makes it a really worthwhile read :)

Ozy_avatar
joined Jan 30, 2013

It's a date!

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

As in Mophead's words, if Ran ever wants to get out of the friendzone, she has to establish a basis for attraction, because Keiko doesn't seem to be attracted romantically to Ran at all. She's just comfortable with her around (no more bad dreams and no more loneliness).

It's obviously a date (with the "I just got here" which is typical of the date trope in manga), but Keiko just doesn't see it that way, or Ran that way. Just friends hanging out together.

As for the child thing, we actually don't know if Keiko can have one anymore. A miscarriage with complications may well make her unable to ever bear child again. Which would explain her pushing her boyfriend away.

Just speculations on my part though.

last edited at May 7, 2015 4:05AM

joined Jan 8, 2014

Yay an update! And theyre on a date! Even better! ^_^
Those last pages...I think Ran was having one of those flash moments like "wham a realization" among other things... excited to hear a new ch. will be up soon, thanks for scantalating :)

joined May 7, 2015

Am I the only one who felt a little bit of disappointment of Ran in the last panels of page 4? I don't think it's only because of my yuri goggles... Keiko is just so indifferent T_T

Also it's just way too date. If this manga wasn't anything about yuri, there's no need to describe 'just hanging out friends' in this detail!

And the last panel... I was surprised that their height were different that much. Is it that Keiko's tall that much or Ran is small?

last edited at May 7, 2015 5:37AM

Soo%20nice
joined May 10, 2013

"but i want to you like the things i like..."
This is the kind of thing a girlfriend says, I think

Lg1wyutq
joined Mar 5, 2015

Gosh, Keiko's hair looks cute like that.

As in Mophead's words, if Ran ever wants to get out of the friendzone, she has to establish a basis for attraction, because Keiko doesn't seem to be attracted romantically to Ran at all. She's just comfortable with her around (no more bad dreams and no more loneliness).

Since you don't think there's any romantic attraction on Keiko's part, I was wondering how you interpreted the whole honmei choco scene? Because it struck me as pretty dang romantic, with her blushing and all. Their interactions can sometimes feel like a middle ground between platonic and romantic, but that scene definitely isn't one of them.

As for the child thing, we actually don't know if Keiko can have one anymore. A miscarriage with complications may well make her unable to ever bear child again. Which would explain her pushing her boyfriend away.

Could be the case, but it didn't seem like there were any complications, plus she's still young and healthy. Usually infertility isn't even considered until you've had more than two miscarriages consecutively. Still, the risk for a recurrence is higher once you've had one. I don't know if she could go through that again :(

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Gosh, Keiko's hair looks cute like that.

Since you don't think there's any romantic attraction on Keiko's part, I was wondering how you interpreted the whole honmei choco scene? Because it struck me as pretty dang romantic, with her blushing and all. Their interactions can sometimes feel like a middle ground between platonic and romantic, but that scene definitely isn't one of them.

The honmei choco, in my opinion, is Ran's attempt to convey her feelings without scaring Keiko away, and also a way to comfort her because being lonely on Valentine's day can be hard. Honmei choco is usually given to your lover/loved one, but it can be also given to "the most important person to you". I didn't see it much as a "romantic" moment, but rather as an "emotional" moment. Keiko can probably feel that Ran cares a lot about her and be embarassed about it (but still liking the idea), hence the blushing. But I don't see any sign of her being romantically interested.

But yeah, blushing Keiko is damn cute.

As for Ran, she takes it slowly. They have been living together for more than a year. And slowly, she's doing just what I said : making her way out of the friendzone, or out of being considered as a cute and klutzy kouhai.

Given Shou's history, there may be yuri here, but I just can't see Keiko going that way easily. A lot of her attempts at happiness have been shot down, she's prone to self-destruct and the relationship she has with Ran is probably the best thing that happened to her, both in her school days and in present days. The moment she was happiest (learning she was pregnant) she thinks of Ran just before going to sleep. I don't think she would want to change the way it is, from fear of destroying it.

Keiko has always been drawn to Ran, but before it becomes romantic, she has a lot to work through.

last edited at May 7, 2015 6:34AM

Easypart
joined May 28, 2014

Best chapter in ages. I can't explain why, but this just feels right. Praise be Boon Scanlations!
takachi

But of course Ran's worried. First, there's a miscarriage, second, there's the conflict with Keiko's mother. Not very positive topics - Keiko might fall in a depressive mood. This is sort of supported by Ran's question at the end ("Have you recently had nightmares, senpai?" unless I, again, mistranslate and misinterpret things).
Besides, Ran understands that Keiko does want to have a child a lot but this is something she can't give her. This is however, more of a yuri-goggles speculation.

Do not adjust your goggles. The worrying about the nightmares says a lot about Ran. She loves Keiko, and wants her to be happy. She is in love with her, but after the chocolate chapter seems to have given up. She drowns her feels in booze. As Nya-chan suggested; they are stuck in the friendzone, although I do think Shou gave us some hints Keiko is interested in Ran in "that way"

It's interesting how in this chapter their interests and interactions again felt somehow disconnected although up till recent chapters it felt like they have totally been in sync with each other just about everything.

I never had that feeling about them. They are pretty different people, like most couples I guess.

Anyways, looking forward to the translation. And so great the three-week-wait season is over! FF with its stable weekly schedule totally spoiled me ^^"

Well he promises an update next week.

joined Sep 15, 2013

such a gentle chapter, also 3 great releases today, thank you for improving upon this spectacular day

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

My thought exactly.

All the more hints that Ran slowly works at being more than friend.

I don't think Shou throws that kind of things in innocently, since he's very attentive to details.

But he sure takes his time.

Roomie
joined Mar 9, 2014

Do not adjust your goggles. The worrying about the nightmares says a lot about Ran. She loves Keiko, and wants her to be happy. She is in love with her, but after the chocolate chapter seems to have given up. She drowns her feels in booze.

I've still lots of doubt about that. Yes she's said to love booze but since the chocolate chapter we've not seen her drink more than before. Even in the whole manga, we rarely see her drunk... and when it happen it's never alone.
Honestly, I won't take it seriously unless we have some kind of confirmation.

last edited at May 7, 2015 8:51AM

Random Reader
joined Nov 30, 2011

Nezchan

I think that bit at the end was pretty significant, where Ran asks about nightmares. After all, at least part Kyouko's trauma was centred around her miscarriage, and the fact that she's okay around kids now and is no longer having nightmares about it suggests she's healed quite a lot. And, more troubling for Ran, may now be less adverse to a "normal" relationship with a man.

Couldn't agree more. I thought that scene was pretty big and the look of near shock and worry on Ran's face when she saw Keiko with the child was very telling in how much she cared for Keiko.

The bit in the music store was interesting though, suggesting that there are depths to Ran that simply aren't obvious at first glance. Nice that Keiko's noticing that.

That and Keiko thinking about her future as well. That whole scene in the bookstore was pretty good because it showed us sides of the two that we don't normally get a chance to see.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

My thought exactly.

All the more hints that Ran slowly works at being more than friend.

I don't think Shou throws that kind of things in innocently, since he's very attentive to details.

But he sure takes his time.

Well, if we're talking details, Ran's line there is very clearly a girlfriend comment and significantly Keiko seems to accept it in very much that sense. In any case, she definitely reacts as if this is something she recognizes as important to her and Ran as a unit, if not a couple yet.

deltahalo241
Tag%20rock%20snake
joined Aug 16, 2014

Oh my god they were practically married in this chapter!

joined Mar 25, 2013

I wrote to the guy at Boon and the Vol.1 Extras that are extra pages after some of the chapters should be translated in a few days, just thought I'd let whoever checks for the new chapters know :)

I see Ran's initial 'distress' because she's worried about her reaction, the pause in the "...I see." I see as both a relief and slight sadness because she's slowly getting better which means that Keiko can very well decide that she is ready for a new relationship and get together with someone (I really don't want that to happen for obvious reasons, but at least it better not be her ex). Ran has been hinting since a long time that she is attracted to her, so that is understandable but at the same time I'm almost positive that she wants her senpai to be happy, even if it's not with her.

The change of topic to booze is as much as a change of topic as it is a chance for her to take her mind off the possibility that Keiko may leave her soon, I don't see it as drowning her feels as someone suggested, at least not to the extent that phrase suggests, i.e. getting deliberately drunk so that she runs away from her feelings. I see it as Ran getting an extension of her 'date' with Keiko.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

The change of topic to booze is as much as a change of topic as it is a chance for her to take her mind off the possibility that Keiko may leave her soon, I don't see it as drowning her feels as someone suggested, at least not to the extent that phrase suggests, i.e. getting deliberately drunk so that she runs away from her feelings. I see it as Ran getting an extension of her 'date' with Keiko.

I wonder if the booze is so much that as part of an overall facade that includes some of the rest of her goofiness, a way to keep things light between them. She doesn't want to scare Keiko away, so she needs to always keep things from getting too heavy and I think at least in part the booze stuff is a tool for that.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

They have gotten a lot closer, no doubt about it. But it's understandable as they have been living together for more than a year. And they actually get a lot of skinship because of their stretching practice. I don't think anyone in the world has ever been that close to Keiko, except her ex-bf. Though even him doesn't probably know some of the Keiko Ran knows about.

I don't think Keiko would deny that Ran is now a big part of her life. And if Ran'd leave for some reason, that would hit her really hard. They are clearly a unit.

There are hints all over the place that they are a couple in this one :

"Did you wait long?" "No, just got here".

"I see you use the wallet I gave you" (birthday present) " "I've grown very fond of it"

"I want you to like the things I like". "All right, all right..."

Keiko wanting to know what kind of music Ran listens to...

But I can't see even a kiss happening yet, unless Ran gets drunk and pretends she forgot everything after the deed.

last edited at May 7, 2015 8:56AM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

They have gotten a lot closer, no doubt about it. But it's understandable as they have been living together for more than a year. And they actually get a lot of skinship because of their stretching practice. I don't think anyone in the world has ever been that close to Keiko, except her ex-bf. Though even him doesn't probably know some of the Keiko Ran knows about.

I don't think Keiko would deny that Ran is now a big part of her life. And if Ran'd leave for some reason, that would hit her really hard. They are clearly a unit.

But I can't see even a kiss happening yet, unless Ran gets drunk and pretends she forgot everything after the deed.

Honestly, I think a kiss would be meaningless unless Keiko was the one to do it. Or ask Ran to, I suppose.

To reply you must either login or sign up.