Forum › Liar Satsuki Can See Death discussion

joined May 17, 2023

Looking back, there's one other person who Komachi refers to using their last name: Satsuki. It isn't until the second chapter that she switches to using her first name. You could consider it as an artefact of Komachi's character not being fully defined yet, but some of her most important traits are already there (she immediately goes to suicide as an answer to Satsuki's actions, and her non-death is treated as the crucial event).

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Strictly speaking, the Prez's intervention to save Satsuki was a deus ex machina, but then again, it wasn't because it made sense that he was ex officio checking up on the festival preparations and that he immediately figured out what was going to happen when no one else didn't: Satsuki has been seeing her body for hours at this point, developing a blind spot for it, while others did not see it at all, so they did not connect Satsuki's standing precariously on a chair with her corpse lying just a meter away. It's nice to see confirmed that he does not want Satsuki dead, even if he is still a blockhead.

277518907_284798580472730_8969942845314652470_n
joined Sep 19, 2021

Sooo... I've reading this for so long and have yet to get my fill of yuri, gosh I need it.
The story is getting more complicated so I doubt there will be room for romance later on

Fcolu7zauaqic2k
joined Sep 14, 2015

Kinda unrelated, but it would be funny if later there are a scene where Satsuki see a real corpse and can just look at it and figure out how they died and solve the case like a real detective.

joined Apr 10, 2023

The president's claim about more and more people dying and intervening mostly being bad flies in the face of an earlier plot point as part of his introduction, that this school used to be terrible and full of bullying but then pres came and a lot of people went missing and suddenly everything's peaceful. There's a lot of causes we don't have a full picture on yet before we can start estimating what contributed to what effect, lol.

joined Oct 15, 2019

I think it's more like shifting and controlling who dies. Like if a 'good' person were to die, he would use his powers so that a 'bad' person dies instead.

joined May 17, 2023

I think it's more like shifting and controlling who dies. Like if a 'good' person were to die, he would use his powers so that a 'bad' person dies instead.

The problem with that conclusion is that it doesn't match up with the Prez's actions in the manga proper. Every time we see him attempt to kill somebody, he generates a completely new corpse to do so.

last edited at May 25, 2023 6:12AM

Images%20(2)
joined Sep 28, 2021

We lost...

joined May 17, 2023

Can't wait for the inevitable 5-page long argument on what "yuri" actually means. (/s)

Midnightgunner
Gt00pn-odpc
joined Sep 30, 2017

Did my ship just sink?

Golden Mertens
Fr7bgrpvcaamcjc%20(1)%20(1)-1%20(1)%20(1)%20(1)%20(1)
joined Jul 9, 2021

Hmm the "confront" with Akira's father happened way earlier than I imagined, I thought it would have an arc of it's own

Btw, before anyone thinks that Akira died, her preminatory corpse is laying on the ground on a completly different position from how she is laying in the last panel

My guess is that she isn't going to die but unfortunately will have some kind of major injury :\

A8579f88-3796-4c80-9233-af508afff917
joined Jul 27, 2019

I am. Screaming. Right now.
Gods I hope she’s okay.

sweetjalapeno15
Ne
joined Nov 21, 2017

shes probably fine cause of the corpse placement someone else mentioned but if she does die im dropping this shit so fast

BeanBeanKingdom
Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

Akira's growing self-doubt also got a lot of focus in the past few chapters so it would be strange to just cut that all off here.

joined Mar 19, 2022

If Akira dies I'm dropping this.

Satsuaki
joined Oct 9, 2021

Akira's growing self-doubt also got a lot of focus in the past few chapters so it would be strange to just cut that all off here.

That's one of the main reasons I'm sure she's alive. But an injury is going to make her feelings of uselessness a hell of a lot worse. This could be a turning point where Satsuki starts getting confronted with the value of saving people. It wouldn't surprise me if Akira's dad manages to get away with this and Akira takes the student council up on their old offer to kill him, fearing for her own safety. And with everyone believing more people need to die to stop the deaths, Satsuki would have a tough time talking anyone out of it.

But everything's sort of reaching a fever pitch at this point so it's tough guessing at the structure of the rest of the story. It could be that it's all set to wrap up in the festival, with Satsuki's momentary vision calling back to chapter 1, but there's still so many subplots unresolved and main points that remain mostly mysteries. I keep thinking back to Shi ni Aruki's finale taking up around half the manga. In any case somebody's bound to die soon.

last edited at Jun 15, 2023 5:17AM

Win%202
joined Nov 12, 2020

I had this feeling that they clearly were talking too long to move out of the fathers' house,and voila,the result of that manifested immediately after.

She did manage to reduce the force of the fall and blow by quite a bit,so they'll probably make it out just fine.

But if they hospitalised with only two days to the festival...

25807f2f-52d2-4bcf-84a8-46471290408c
joined May 3, 2022

So uh, does this remind me of how Tokiko’s best friend from Walk Of Death died? I’m so glad this manga is a lot lighter than Walk of Death.

Stardusttelepath8
joined Oct 15, 2014

So uh, does this remind me of how Tokiko’s best friend from Walk Of Death died? I’m so glad this manga is a lot lighter than Walk of Death.

Ironically in this one, getting hit by a car might be what saves the best friend.

Tag%20rock%20snake
joined Aug 16, 2014

So now will Satsuki have to choose between protecting Akira in the hospital from her father or going to the school to try and stop the massacre? I would think that Akira would get Amnesia from this and forget her relationship with Satsuki, however we're already doing amnesia with Seo so I don't think the author would repeat that plot point.

C0947de7-7a05-45f6-b936-7324bb0fa409
joined May 18, 2019

Holy shit we really just went there....
Pray for our girl Akira

Img_20201116_114246_2-min_50-min%20(1)
joined Oct 14, 2014

So now will Satsuki have to choose between protecting Akira in the hospital from her father or going to the school to try and stop the massacre? I would think that Akira would get Amnesia from this and forget her relationship with Satsuki, however we're already doing amnesia with Seo so I don't think the author would repeat that plot point.

Satsuki getting hit with a more personal trolley problem is gonna be crazy

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Well shit, this has escalated quickly. No matter what the author says, Akira is still Satsuki's future wife, as far as I am concerned, so I am happy Satsuki got to protecc her. There is no way they aren't both injured, and I am really hoping that will be enough evidence to finally put Akira's home abuser behind bars...

20220308_002456
joined Mar 8, 2022

Akira no!

52722-l
joined Nov 8, 2017

No Akira noooooooooo

We lost...

Sadge
But at least they didn't completely reject it like some other people cough Kozue Amano cough

Also, what ever happened to Komachi? I thought she was gonna gave a bigger role but she disappeared completely after a few arcs.

Komachi comes and goes like a sleep paralysis demon. A lot of major subplots fade in and out, like Akira's dad, but I think Ryoko might have a hard time writing Komachi for extended periods without the other girls realizing how dangerously weird she is. Last time we saw her she was throwing Satsuki off a roof and now Satsuki's daydreaming about going on a festival date with her, complete with a sneaky heart balloon. But this little arc with Ami could be a good way to on-ramp Komachi back into the plot since they're best friends.

At the very least Ryoko's having fun with her. When Ami first proposed the bug eating cafe, Komachi was the only one in class not disgusted. And of course she gave her a vote.

Man I had completely forgotten about her letting Satsuki fall.

Also, I wouldn't call Komachi reliable, but I wonder why Satsuki never told her about the premonitory corpses, given how often she was involved with them.

last edited at Jun 18, 2023 2:38AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.