Forum › Touko-san Can’t Take Care of the House (Serialization) discussion

_20180228_203946
joined Jan 24, 2018

I'm noticing /u/ translate a whole lot of the Yuri mangas I'm into at the moment, I'm happily impressed with all their efforts
Mangas: /u/ complete me

joined Nov 14, 2014

Is Page 16 missing?

I have a weird feeling about this manga. The art and character design are simply amazing, it has my kind of age gap (teen girl and older woman), but I dunno why, I just can't connect with it.

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

Don't tempt me to dig up that old press photo of Brezhnev and Hoenecker bro-smooching...

Ah, I see you're a man of culture as well.

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

I mean, you cannot expect Brezhnev to be in a room with some other adult without expecting him to kiss said other adult.

joined Jul 26, 2016

Truly a menace to public decency he was. But that chestful of medals rendered him bulletproof so there was nothing to be done but wait for old age to do its work.

joined Oct 22, 2018

^ Which it finally did in the mid 80s (correct me if I'm wrong, but I think 'twas 1985).

joined Jul 26, 2016

1982, followed by a succession of tottering mummies owing to the gerontocratic character of the Party higher levels, but that's another story. (Period Russian joke: "Who supports Gorbachev?" "Nobody, he can walk by himself.")

last edited at Mar 19, 2020 6:13PM

Jeanne Mathison
joined May 24, 2019

Amusingly enough, at the time, the American president was Reagan, an even bigger tottering mummy.

joined Jul 26, 2016

Amusingly enough, at the time, the American president was Reagan, an even bigger tottering mummy.

I mean the US didn't build a semiautomatic nuclear counterstrike system in part because they were legit worried their top leaders were too decrepit to grok what was even going on if the shit hit the fan...

White%20rose%20index
joined Aug 16, 2018

This is how a Spanish author drew Brezhnev arriving to the UN to give a speech:

And this is how he drew Reagan about to do the same thing (except Ronnie was going to be a bit late, seeing as preparations took a little longer):

last edited at Mar 19, 2020 7:01PM

joined Jul 26, 2016

In all fairness to Ronnie Raygun he didn't literally die in office. Soviet Premiers conversely were like the damn Pope.

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

Haha, as a big fan of Francisco Ibáñez and his work, I wholeheartedly appreciate the contribution!
(From "El Cacao Espacial" -- right?)

joined Oct 22, 2018

In all fairness to Ronnie Raygun he didn't literally die in office. Soviet Premiers conversely were like the damn Pope.

And then people wonder why there's bad blood between Marxists-Leninists and Anarchists.

joined Jul 26, 2016

And then people wonder why there's bad blood between Marxists-Leninists and Anarchists.

I'd imagine the outright shooting matches they sometimes had over their disagreements (Nestor Makhno says hi) spoke for themselves.

White%20rose%20index
joined Aug 16, 2018

Haha, as a big fan of Francisco Ibáñez and his work, I wholeheartedly appreciate the contribution!
(From "El Cacao Espacial" -- right?)

Yeap. Not the only time he drew them, but prolly the best remembered. (Btw, in the following page, they literally fall to pieces as they give their speeches.)

joined Oct 22, 2018

I'd imagine the outright shooting matches they sometimes had over their disagreements (Nestor Makhno says hi) spoke for themselves.

Funny how most of the bad blood stems from the Russian (and, to a lesser extent, Spanish) Civil War.

The Makhnovists are far from the only example in the Russian Civil War. Just look at the revolts of the Green Armies, both around Tambov and in Siberia. Or at the mutiny at Kronstadt. And other examples.

last edited at Mar 19, 2020 7:49PM

joined Jul 26, 2016

Funny how most of the bad blood stems from the Russian (and, to a lesser extent, Spanish) Civil War.

Probably has a lot to do with the fact those were about the only occasions Anarchists actually tried to get something done on larger scale and butted heads with the Bolsheviks in the process. Arshinov's History of the Makhnovist Movement is a pretty interesting insider take on it (he was one of Makhno's lieutenants), particularly the parts where he more or less grudgingly admits to the reasons his side lost (TL;DR - the Bolsheviks were better organised and more ruthless).

The Makhnovists are far from the only example in the Russian Civil War. Just look at the revolts of the Green Armies, both around Tambov and in Siberia. Or at the mutiny at Kronstadt. And other examples.

...except the loosely defined "Greens", so called because many such groups sheltered in forests, rarely had much anything to do with Anarchism (whereas Makhno's "Blacks" in the Ukraine were explicitly so) and ran the gamut from fed-up peasants (Tambov being a prominent case) and disgruntled soldiers to outright bandits.

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

WOW HOW ABOUT THIS MANGA HUH? THIS MANGA ABOUT YURI AND NOT POLITICS IS SO GREAT AMIRITE?

joined Jul 26, 2016

History, technically. Some particularly convoluted parts thereof at that too, you p much need a scorecard to try to track the varying participants and sides of the Russian Civil War.

Im%20gonna%20fucking%20cry%20koyuki
joined Nov 5, 2017

Wtf is this discussion thread on lmao. Anyways great chapter thanks for the upload LOL

C2731dea4191b182ecd8f18498562a84
joined Sep 1, 2017

Bruh, here in the Balkans, at least some skinship is necessary for friends, no matter how large or small a circle of friends is or whether it includes just one gender or both the two dominant ones (sadly, trans, nb and intersex people are still largely or completely overlooked around here, but that's a story for another time), and that goes for family and relatives, too. If you want to see friendly skinship at its maximum - come visit the Balkans!

I don't think of hugs and pecks on the cheek count as skinship. At least not as they usually use the term in yuri manga

joined Jul 26, 2016

Bruh, here in the Balkans, at least some skinship is necessary for friends, no matter how large or small a circle of friends is or whether it includes just one gender or both the two dominant ones (sadly, trans, nb and intersex people are still largely or completely overlooked around here, but that's a story for another time), and that goes for family and relatives, too. If you want to see friendly skinship at its maximum - come visit the Balkans!

I don't think of hugs and pecks on the cheek count as skinship. At least not as they usually use the term in yuri manga

Meanwhile up here in Finland that level of personal space invasion might get you knifed as a panic reflex. Different places, different norms.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Meanwhile up here in Finland that level of personal space invasion might get you knifed as a panic reflex. Different places, different norms.

A friend of Finnish ancestry told the story that she asked a Finnish person if a Finn would ever say “I love you” to their spouse, and they said,

“Well, maybe on their deathbed.”

“But probably not.”

joined Jul 26, 2016

Ya, sounds about right.

Old joke about the traditional degree of sociability 'round here:
Man builds a house by a stream.
Sees wood chips float by.
Grabs an axe and goes upstream to see who dares set up shop so close by.

C2731dea4191b182ecd8f18498562a84
joined Sep 1, 2017

Any violation of personal space might get you knifed anywhere you go right now.

To reply you must either login or sign up.