Forum › The Blue Star on That Day (Ano Koro no Aoi Hoshi) discussion

joined Mar 23, 2022

Ahhh I love this chapter!!Thank you so much to the group!This is one of my favorite Yuri manga and been waiting patiently for updates, and damn every chapter is so worth it alsooo umi ma gurl is so pure sweet and useless lesbian.XD

Screenshot_20220526-044757
joined Aug 7, 2019

love how it continues to show the extent of umi's feelings for shou. she is so madly in love with her it's so cute to see her freaking out mixed with the moments where she's gentle and warm with her. also her thinking about her future with shou reminded me of her promises to be with her forever i wanna squish this mc so bad (with love).

joined May 10, 2021

As usual, a God damn sweetness overload! With a hint of a lewd Umi.
Thanks a lot for the chapter!

joined Jan 14, 2020

If you see fish, you know is no longer bait

Ahem. Nettaigyo.

But yeah, cute chapter.

It's been a while so I forget. Umi and Shou have confessed to each other and are quietly dating? It's not just Umi being in love with her friend?

Jumbo-yotsuba-4810
joined Mar 31, 2023

Make this an anime please thanks
Too good, right?! I think an animation studio will want more of the story flushed-out before taking it on, though.

Img_3750
joined Feb 3, 2021

It's been a while so I forget. Umi and Shou have confessed to each other and are quietly dating? It's not just Umi being in love with her friend?

Yes, they’ve confessed and kissed. The kiss was at the end of chapter 14.2.

Runrin-icon-wrd-2
joined Feb 9, 2019

they are so wholesome.

i've been wondering for a while now if we should expect some sort of major conflict, like them being outed at school or their parents freaking out or something. that one girl is really possessive with umi, she might cause a big problem.

but then i remember that this series really hasn't been like that. it's more subtle. the focus is on relationships between individuals and how they learn and grow by being around each other.

i doubt this type of story would last if it weren't self published. there's just not enough conflict for a magazine and i really love it for that.

__amaori_renako_and_ouzuka_mai_watashi_ga_koibito_ni_nareru_wake_naijan_murimuri_drawn_by_monsieur__d7bc0a80fd23f14c58ed2720509220b2
joined Oct 15, 2021

oof Umi's sleep is in shambles. still obsessing over how wholesome this is

Kurumi
joined Feb 19, 2023

they are so wholesome.

i've been wondering for a while now if we should expect some sort of major conflict, like them being outed at school or their parents freaking out or something. that one girl is really possessive with umi, she might cause a big problem.

but then i remember that this series really hasn't been like that. it's more subtle. the focus is on relationships between individuals and how they learn and grow by being around each other.

i doubt this type of story would last if it weren't self published. there's just not enough conflict for a magazine and i really love it for that.

^ This, I agree. I adore the relaxed plot and pacing. It's not exactly 'boring', but it's 'unremarkable' in a realistic way, with no kind of editorial pressure to make it more exciting.

And in fact this is plenty exciting as-is. Stealthy attempts at public affection can be terrifying; the credible fear of being found out... And not necessarily because their classmates are bad people or anything, but because they're rather well depicted as just... teens. Some of them would almost definitely be immature and narrow-minded about it, and might say/do something dumb. Malice isn't needed to hurt someone.

last edited at Dec 26, 2023 4:05PM

joined Jan 14, 2020

Yes, they’ve confessed and kissed. The kiss was at the end of chapter 14.2.

Thanks!

I know Shou is into this stuff, but was still funny to see her rattling off species on an unfamiliar island...

joined Jan 14, 2020

I just re-read it all.

Ibu seems particularly attached to Umi.

Nae-chan, the one who is practically engaged to Ma-kun, also seemed to practically come onto Shou when she came to their room...

last edited at Dec 26, 2023 7:01PM

joined Jan 14, 2020

Also Saint Shou, trading her desserts for someone's "spicy" tacos.

joined Jun 11, 2021

this is by far my favorite fluffy low stakes yuri. its all so grounded and calm and their interactions are so tender and intimate and cute and uguhhhhh im so glad this exists

Aoi%20nagisa%20-%20s
joined Aug 17, 2012

this is by far my favorite fluffy low stakes yuri. its all so grounded and calm and their interactions are so tender and intimate and cute and uguhhhhh im so glad this exists

That sums up my thoughts perfectly... and better than I could have expressed it.

joined Jan 14, 2020

Did we ever find out exactly what made Shou change rooms? All I recall even from the re-read was some vague fight with Ibu, who headbutted her or something.

last edited at Dec 28, 2023 12:01AM

Aoi%20nagisa%20-%20s
joined Aug 17, 2012

Did we ever find out exactly what made Shou changed rooms? All I recall even from the re-read was some vague fight with Ibu, who headbutted her or something.

Not explicitly, but Ibu seems not to be able to express herself verbally so she resorts to physical reactions. Additionally she seems not to be able to get on with Shou "It's just that she annoys me" but can't articulate why.

joined Jan 14, 2020

So, I've re-read this yet again today, taking notes this time, which turned out to help me a lot with keeping track of everyone outside the MCs. Especially since many of the characters look rather similar. I am here to share.

Setting:

Place: Ametatsu Girls' High School, in the town of Ametatsu, and an affiliated but unattached dorm, which is some houses and konbini away from the physical school. Segawa Shou lives in Ametatsu. Koumoto Umi's family lives in Tanami City, far enough away by train to make visiting non-casual, close enough that Shou can visit for an evening summer festival and still get back home.

Time: Umi and Shou's second year of high school. Starts in early spring (winter uniforms), wraps around back to winter, but I don't think Christmas has happened yet.

Cast:

Umi and Shou's roommates:

Baba? Mari. Black hair, glasses, slightly chubby looking, friendly. Writer. The first to notice Umi's new fixation on Shou, and their sneaking out together, and she is supportive. Gives me the feeling she imagines a lot more making out than has actually happened. Managed to talk about love with Shou without any knowing smirks.

Fuki, or Fuku in chapter 3. Short, short blonde hair. Can be mistaken for an elementary school student. Isn't seen much; I feel she's mostly a placeholder, to round out the room without complicating dynamics too much. Has a similar role in Umi's Okinawa group. Revealed guitar-playing during the culture festival.

Umi's friends group:

I don't blame Shou for being intimidated, it's like a large school of moderately friendly sharks.

Ibu Yuuki. Long brown hair, usually looks angry. Somehow is the reason that Shou changed rooms; I think Ibu would have been happier if she'd been the one changing. Seems attached to Umi: Umi helps her in cooking class (Yosshi accuses Umi of spoiling her), they share a private moment (with Umi feeding her a skewer quasi-romantically), Ibu looks extra angry when she noticed Umi being clingy around Shou, Ibu cadges a piggyback ride she didn't actually need from Umi when sick in Okinawa (Umi later: "wait, what?"), Ibu tries to be clingy after that but can't actually admit it. I won't say I know her feelings, but if she turns out to be crushing on Umi I will be utterly unsurprised. Told Shou to stop forcing herself on others. Told Baba she doesn't even try to be mean, but Shou gets upset at what she says, also she hates Shou. (Baba calls her pretty dense.) Says "gross" to both Shou and Umi -- "Segawa this, Segawa that, you've been pretty gross." Is 'Ibu-chan' to Umi and 'Yuuki' to Yosshi, 'Ibu-san' to others.

Yosshi. Black hair, little ratty ponytail. Loud, obnoxious, can't read a room, lashes out at people for behaving 'weird'. Is the reason Umi missed the Aquarium Club during the culture festival. Has known Ibu a long time. Did express concern when Ibu was sick -- but Umi did the work of finding and caring for her. Complains about Nae getting a boyfriend, then immediate says they all have to get boyfriends too. Currently crushing on the tour guide for Okinawa.

Nae-chan, also Nacchan. Long brown hair, probably smiling sweetly. Practically engaged to Ma-kun, who thinks he loves her enough to take over the family orchard. She can see Tanami City from there. When she announces the relationship, she hugs Umi, and they declare being on each other's side. In the Okinawa group photo, she was clutching Umi's arm at a moment when no one else was clinging to anyone. When Shou showed up for her sleepover, Nae was not just friendly, she was touchy and up in Shou's personal space like one of Asumi-chan's brothel girls. Unlike Ibu, she is not unhappy about Umi spending time with Shou. (I don't think we ever see Nae unhappy.) Gets to be in Umi's Okinawa group (and I note that the sleeping line is Fuki, Ken, Nae, Umi, [Shou]).

Zumiko. Short brown hair. Perfect grades, studies a lot. Would like to socialize more but feels compelled to study. Has a long term boyfriend we don't hear much about. In Ibu's room for Okinawa, sweatdrops as she watches Ibu try to cling to Umi and fail. From Ametatsu, and would like to get far away.

Ken. Tall, very short black hair. Got a tan. In Umi's Okinawa group.

I think there are even more girls in the general group, with the same default brown hair color that Umi/Ibu/Zumi/Nae have, but not their own clear names or identities.

Aquarium Club senpai:

Fushiki. Short, has black hair covering her eyes. Missed so many classes that she gets to repeat a year, so we might still see her if the manga enters the third year. Sometimes even does aquarium stuff.

Shimada. Short black hair and glasses. Helps occasionally but skipped the sendoff party for third years. (As did all the other third years.)

Thoughts

For a work with just one kiss, several chapters after mutual confession, it's surprisingly erotically charged. A lot like Asumi-chan and Nanao blushing at each other. Even with almost nothing happening, the sense of physical awareness is very well conveyed. Umi is the obvious one, but with some attention, you see that Shou wasn't far behind.

Questions

Is there anything deeper behind Shou's childhood memory of getting rescued by a "mermaid"?

When Shou talks in chapter 4 about the mermaid being surrounded by her friends, is she talking about Umi already?

How much is Ibu into Umi? And what's between Ibu and Shou? (Not jealousy over Umi, the timing is wrong.)

Is Nae really bisexual?

And are there any automated love hotels that minors can check into, even if they're not supposed to? I think Umi really needs to know... Else it's sex on the beach by starlight.

last edited at Dec 28, 2023 12:57AM

joined Jan 14, 2020

ch 16 nerd analysis of the secondary relationships

Nae and Umi share a bus seat (again)
Ibu has sunglasses that 'Koumoto' bought her, and she's smiling for once
Ibu's group is her, Zumiko, Yosshi, and the unidentified one
Umi and Shou hold hands on the beach where Nae and the others can see them
Nae and Umi together at dinner
Ibu asks 'Koumoto' for help showing, Yosshi gets mad at making 'Umi' do that.
Umi and Yosshi bond over love at first sight, Ibu disgusted, Zumiko doesn't contribute.
Nae picks out the Big Boobs shirt. Still friendly, holding other shirts up to Shou.

Untitled-compressed
joined Jun 5, 2023

Please wake up Shou, your girlfriend is having a gay panik

joined Jan 14, 2020

Chapter 7, Nae tells the group she has a boyfriend, and when they don't freak out too much, specifically goes in to hug Umi.

Who is going "?" so being that physical seems not so usual for her and Nae.

And it's an extensive hug. They even look into each other's faces and hug again. Though no one in the group seems to find it odd.

I think this is part of why the manga is so fascinating for me. It's not just the MCs being sweet and adorable, there are all these hints of people's other stuff and motivations going on as well, but never quite in focus, so they stay tantalizing mysteries. After all, the narrative camera is almost always on Umi, or sometimes Shou, very rarely anyone else (there's one Ibu & Baba scene that comes to mind), and I'm not sure if anyone besides Umi gets thought balloons. (Shou does get the occasional "?")

Unrelatedly, I realized the volumes have been like 3 chapters every year, so probably Knight Heron will give us another chapter in late January, and then it'll dry up for the next 9 months. ;_;

joined Jan 14, 2020

Nae: "I feel this one [shirt] suits Segawa-san", holding up a shirt that says 海 or 'umi'

Could be because she knows Shou is into fish and such

but I wonder if she's thinking Shou is into Umi and vice versa

joined Oct 2, 2021

Also Saint Shou, trading her desserts for someone's "spicy" tacos.

Umi's dreaming of trying Shous spicy tacos (⁠◔⁠‿⁠◔⁠)

joined Jan 14, 2020

7th girl in the friend group is in fact Makki. Brown hair, usually in a bob so looks short from the front. Starred in the musical. Otherwise low-impact.

I realized that after Umi's near-drowning in chapter 5, we never see the MCs on their nighttime beach walks. Umi does propose it, but Shou says they should go at a time that's brighter, also something Umi wants, which leads to their weekend aquarium date. Their late night meetings after that are in front of the dorm vending machines. I wonder if Shou is that spooked by Umi's experience, or if the dorm locked down/alarmed their egress. It's a pity, they could really use some alone time cuddling on the beach...

People call Umi the "mommy" of both Shou and Ibu. Neither one likes the analogy.

Wtf%20kitty%20dynasty%20pfp
joined Oct 24, 2023

Aah, we saw that sneaky hand-hold at the whale shark tank. Don't think that we didn't.

joined Jan 14, 2020

Also the not so sneaky handholding right in front of Nae.

https://mangadex.org/chapter/a42cbd3b-a364-4a9f-9e8c-7313e92fd0d4/20

To reply you must either login or sign up.