Forum › My cat became a cute girl!? discussion

DR2 Hajime Hinata
Image_2023-07-05_193410907
joined Jul 20, 2016

So I'm guessing her lifespan extended too

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

Hold on, she used to shower with her cat? Since when is that a thing?

No, she didn't shower with her. Noa just came into the bathroom with her while she showered. For some reason cats often follow their owners into the bathroom.

joined Apr 18, 2018

^ The door to the toilet in my house is made out of wood and the lower bit had crumbled a little and there's a bit of room for small things to get in, and sometimes my cat would clawed its paw through that (to get in with me perhaps?) and I'd often just chase it away by banging on the door.

Regarding this work itself, as expected of Takeshima Eku. They'd always delivered amazingly with each of their works. Plus the artwork are just so delicate and cute to look at. I really like yuri neko girls so I'm glad to see this trope kept being used outside of your random het stuff. Wish there's more longer version like Catulus Syndrome though.

last edited at Jun 20, 2019 5:04AM

HazmatChiefAlsimi
joined Feb 9, 2019

I'd be hella confused if this would happen to my cat.

last edited at Jun 20, 2019 5:06AM

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Too adorable for words. And how can you possibly resist kissing her?

Letys%20try%20this%20again
joined Mar 26, 2017

Hold on, she used to shower with her cat? Since when is that a thing?

Cats love the sound of running water. My cat likes to sneak in the shower when someone is in there.

joined Aug 10, 2018

but a cat is fine too...

I'm mad that no one else made that reference.

Chinatsu%202
joined Jan 27, 2016

To quote Billy Ocean: "And suddenlyyyyyyyy, life has new meaning, to meeeeeeeeee~"

I love this trope a lot and it's high time it gets used more in yuri! Of course there are issues with master/owner relationships between two humans, but that topic didn't get shoved down our catmaws at all here. It was cute and heartfelt.

I think that weirdness is more apparent with dogs because I've never met a cat that didn't very clearly feel it was the most important and powerful creature in the house.

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

I think that weirdness is more apparent with dogs because I've never met a cat that didn't very clearly feel it was the most important and powerful creature in the house.

You haven't read Nekopara I take it then.

joined Jan 26, 2019

This would have been cute without the gross loli stuff

Better to be up front about it than take a while to reveal it like that one manga with the cat maids and the rich authoress

Chinatsu%202
joined Jan 27, 2016

I don't read straight dude fetish garbage so no. Also, straight men don't understand cats which is why all of the catgirls they write are subservient moe blobs. Catra from the new She-Ra is a far more realistic and interesting take on what a catgirl would be like aka a volatile and smug gremlin.

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

I don't read straight dude fetish garbage so no. Also, straight men don't understand cats which is why all of the catgirls they write are subservient moe blobs. Catra from the new She-Ra is a far more realistic and interesting take on what a catgirl would be like aka a volatile and smug gremlin.

You prefer gay girl fetish garbage instead, I know. (So do I anyway)
Just so you know, Nekopara is drawn and written by a woman by the way. Oopsie.

last edited at Jun 20, 2019 7:19AM

Chinatsu%202
joined Jan 27, 2016

Yeah to pander to straight dudes thus why it employs the same tropes straight men write.

Also why are you always so unpleasant? Like literally nothing I've said here warrants your douchey "gotcha" tone you just seem to get off on being smug about incredibly petty shit.

45b4e36d555ca184502130f8249354c2--flcl-furi-kuri2
joined Jul 19, 2018

Yeah to pander to straight dudes thus why it employs the same tropes straight men write.

Also why are you always so unpleasant? Like literally nothing I've said here warrants your douchey "gotcha" tone you just seem to get off on being smug about incredibly petty shit.

No, you definitely earned the douchey "gotcha." Two scoops actually.

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

Alright. Except Nekopara also has Azuki and Maple, who are not subservient in the least. It's almost like all cats are different.
Unpleasant, eh? Mayhaps if you looked at your reply to my completely innocuous comment about Nekopara, you might figure it out. "Straight dudes can't write X/lesbains can't write Y/bisexuals don't undertstand Z", all comments like that are toxic. You are acting toxic.

In the first place I only brought it up, because of the topic of owning sapient beings. Not to make some meaningless statement on how true cat-girls should behave. lol
Nekopara is one example of many (be it straight or gay fiction) where a sapient character is being treated like a pet or something to own. One of the inherent issues with animal girls across fiction really. I was bringing up Nekopara as a negative example of that, but you immediately fly off the handle. Sheesh.

last edited at Jun 20, 2019 8:02AM

Chinatsu%202
joined Jan 27, 2016

Alright. Except Nekopara also has Azuki and Maple, who are not subservient in the least. It's almost like all cats are different.
Unpleasant, eh? Mayhaps if you looked at your reply to my completely innocuous comment about Nekopara, you might figure it out. "Straight dudes can't write X/lesbains can't write Y/bisexuals don't undertstand Z", all comments like that are toxic. You are acting toxic.

In the first place I only brought it up, because of the topic of owning sapient beings. Not to make some meaningless statement on how true cat-girls should behave. lol
Nekopara is one example of many (be it straight or gay fiction) where a sapient character is being treated like a pet or something to own. One of the inherent issues with animal girls across fiction really. I was bringing up Nekopara as a negative example of that, but you immediately fly off the handle. Sheesh.

Alright, I was being tongue in cheek with the "straight dudes don't understand cats" thing as a joking commentary on the way catgirls tend to be portrayed is divorced from how cats tend to behave in order to make them more "cute" but I can understand the tone not carrying over well in text. Though I think calling that sentiment "toxic" even if it were expressed in all sincerity is a bit of a stretch.

I do think Nekopara looks trashy though but you're right I was more caustic then necessary in expressing that so I apologize for that.

My original point though was specific to this trope of a pet becoming humanoid rather than to universes where people can own and buy sapient anthropomorphic animals. Like in this setting the simple difference of the relationship dynamic between a cat and its owner and a dog and its owner feels like it would have an impact on the moral quandaries it brings up.

last edited at Jun 20, 2019 8:17AM

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

Alright, I was being tongue in cheek with the "straight dudes don't understand cats" thing as a joking commentary on the way catgirls tend to be portrayed is divorced from how cats tend to behave in order to make them more "cute" but I can understand the tone not carrying over well in text. Though I think calling that sentiment "toxic" even if it were expressed in all sincerity is a bit of a stretch.

I do think Nekopara looks trashy though but you're right I was more caustic then necessary in expressing that so I apologize for that.

My original point though was specific to this trope of a pet becoming humanoid rather than to universes where people can own and buy sapient anthropomorphic animals. Like in this setting the simple difference of the relationship dynamic between a cat and its owner and a dog and its owner feels like it would have an impact on the moral quandaries it brings up.

Well I simply can't agree on that either, because most of the time, catgirls are portrayed as tsunderes or extremely quirky by male artists and writers. I also don't see how a man being gay would change their understanding of cats. Therefore this whole generalization is just out of place (just as the comment about fetish trash, you know why).

And then there are stark differences between cat breeds to consider as well. Maine Coons for example are basically just dogs in a cat body. While you are right that the general trope of dogs being more obedient would play heavily into enforcing the master & servant/pet relationship, most catgirl works do not treat this issue any differently, regardless of the catgirl's personality.
Transformation catgirls (in this case cat-->girl) are not exempt from the issue. The moment they become humans they have to be treated as a fellow human. But these stories almost always ignore that aspect and still treat the catgirl as a pet.

Images
joined Aug 19, 2018

but a cat is fine too...

I'm mad that no one else made that reference.

I recently found out about it. Forgot why, but I did, and it's terrible, but in a funny way, at least for this story, and this run-on sentence

Images
joined Aug 19, 2018

Also, the title sounds like it should read:

My cat became a cute girl!?!? (Not clickbait!)

Chinatsu%202
joined Jan 27, 2016

And then there are stark differences between cat breeds to consider as well. Maine Coons for example are basically just dogs in a cat body. While you are right that the general trope of dogs being more obedient would play heavily into enforcing the master & servant/pet relationship, most catgirl works do not treat this issue any differently, regardless of the catgirl's personality.
Transformation catgirls (in this case cat-->girl) are not exempt from the issue. The moment they become humans they have to be treated as a fellow human. But these stories almost always ignore that aspect and still treat the catgirl as a pet.

You're overstating the differences between cat breeds. Even the Maine Coon, while more sociable than other cat breeds, does not have the instinctual hierarchical social structure that actual pack animals like dogs do. A cat with the capacities of a human is far more likely to oppose any abuses on the part of its owner or just strike out on its own. I do think this work brings up an interesting point: suddenly changing how you treat them because of this change due to human squeamishness would be more hurtful and confusing than liberating. Even in a human form they still have inhuman social mores and immediately thrusting an entirely alien moral framework onto them seems unhelpful at best. Most of these kind of stories don't address the dynamic over the long term and are just brief one-shots so there simply isn't enough time to explore the issue in the time frame it would require.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I do think this work brings up an interesting point: suddenly changing how you treat them because of this change due to human squeamishness would be more hurtful and confusing than liberating.

I don't give a shit about the ethics of it--if my cat-turned-humanoid vomits up a hairball on the sofa, they're cleaning it up themselves.

Chinatsu%202
joined Jan 27, 2016

I do think this work brings up an interesting point: suddenly changing how you treat them because of this change due to human squeamishness would be more hurtful and confusing than liberating.

I don't give a shit about the ethics of it--if my cat-turned-humanoid vomits up a hairball on the sofa, they're cleaning it up themselves.

Where's a hairball going to come from if they don't have fur or the bone structure (or need) to tongue bath themselves?

Ewe
joined Jan 22, 2017

Only problem I have with nekopara is that some of the cats seem to have the mental age of little children. I think Vanilla was the worst case for me. I also don't like male harem leads, so I'm biased - but the whole ecchi thing later on did put me off.

In this case it seems the "owner" still has to understand what things will change from now on. The cat seems mature enough to know what she wants. Also pet is a vage term, for many people their pets are more like friends, not a toy or something.

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

You're overstating the differences between cat breeds. Even the Maine Coon, while more sociable than other cat breeds, does not have the instinctual hierarchical social structure that actual pack animals like dogs do. A cat with the capacities of a human is far more likely to oppose any abuses on the part of its owner or just strike out on its own. I do think this work brings up an interesting point: suddenly changing how you treat them because of this change due to human squeamishness would be more hurtful and confusing than liberating. Even in a human form they still have inhuman social mores and immediately thrusting an entirely alien moral framework onto them seems unhelpful at best. Most of these kind of stories don't address the dynamic over the long term and are just brief one-shots so there simply isn't enough time to explore the issue in the time frame it would require.

Oh? I know quite a few Maine Coons and they are obedient, sociable and pretty chill. They will even let you put them on a leash and take them for a walk. And then there are housecat breeds specifically bred to be attached and obedient to humans. It's getting a lot more common.
Sure, they aren't pack animals, but their self-centered nature is what is actually getting eradicated.

Well, I do want longer series of this type exactly for that reason. But even in one-shots it's rather easy to see that the issue is being ignored or even fueled.
I absolutely understand that an immediate increase in intelligence doesn't mean comprehending a new lifestyle, but a catgirl that wants to be treated as a pet is what you critisized about straight dude's writing just now, didn't you? A lack of independance.

I obviously don't dislike these more straightforward depictions, they are just cute. Still would prefer if it got explored more sensibly one day.

Only problem I have with nekopara is that some of the cats seem to have the mental age of little children. I think Vanilla was the worst case for me. I also don't like male harem leads, so I'm biased - but the whole ecchi thing later on did put me off.

In this case it seems the "owner" still has to understand what things will change from now on. The cat seems mature enough to know what she wants. Also pet is a vage term, for many people their pets are more like friends, not a toy or something.

Vanilla? Don't you mean Chocola? Chocola really is more of a dog. I also dislike harems a lot. The entire romance with Kashou is just shoved in there for sales. The best written part about the entire story was ironically everything between the catgirls themselves, rather than anything involving Kashou. Especially the yuri between Maple and Cinnamon in Volume 3.

The issue is... complex. In the end it is better to treat this new catgirl as a relative or become their guardian, rather than their owner. Let her become part of society etc.

last edited at Jun 20, 2019 9:33AM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Where's a hairball going to come from if they don't have fur or the bone structure (or need) to tongue bath themselves?

From licking the other cats. Obviously.

To reply you must either login or sign up.