Forum › I Hate Things Like Love discussion

GuiltyBoomerang
20180630_180023-412x427
joined Feb 25, 2014

"It doesn't count if I don't do it!"
"Well, payback's a bitch (and she's right here holding your hand...)"

If Yuu-chan's going to take the reigns and help Emi find out what "love" means, that seems a good way to interpret the open ending.

joined Jan 15, 2018

Since my interpretation got so lengthy that this forum refused to accept it, head over to Pastebin to read the whole thing.

Here's summary of her afterword:
- She drew this like a "poem".
- She intended to make this 2 chapter story, one for Eimi's POV and other for Yuu's POV but editor suggested three-parter.
- She was surprised that she recieved many positive message although the story was not catchy enough for getting attention like her last work "One Night Friend" since she wanted to end this with straightforward questions of each other's feelings.
- She didn't put clear answer but she tried to put hints here and there so she wanted reader to interpret bit by bit.
- She will write another afterword for further elaboration.
- Other thing includes her life (Like the fact she works in some firm and draws manga as second job) and her next move (She doesn't know whether she can draw next manga but she wants to do more so she is asking for reader's help)

I can't recommend "One Night Friend" enough (oneshot in yuri hime 2018-3) but it seems it doesn't have a translation. (My fascination of her manga started from there.)
The original Japanese phrase for "It's gross" is "ぐちゃぐちゃだよ" and according to J-E dictionary, ぐちゃぐちゃ means "soggy, squashy, mucky, marshy etc.". I'm not an English native nor Japanese native but I will interpret that as "It's a mess" or "I'm a mess".

last edited at Oct 31, 2018 10:34AM

joined Sep 5, 2018

@acelaten said:

Here's summary of her afterword:

Thanks a lot. I didn’t expect to ever find out what she wrote in her afterword.

• She will write another afterword for further elaboration.

Hopefully, we’ll get to see that too. ;)

The original Japanese phrase for "It's gross" is "ぐちゃぐちゃだよ" and according to J-E dictionary, ぐちゃぐちゃ means "soggy, squashy, mucky, marshy etc.". I'm not an English native nor Japanese native but I will interpret that as "It's a mess" or "I'm a mess".

Jisho.org says (emphasis by me):

1. pulpy; soppy​ (Onomatopoeic or mimetic word)
  2. sloppy; untidy; in a disarray; chaotic​ (Onomatopoeic or mimetic word)

I like this a lot better than “It’s gross” and it also makes more sense to me.

last edited at Oct 31, 2018 11:52AM

F6027a7c125b156932db27aa264cfb2a
joined Jul 3, 2015

Boring, felt like nothing even happened just a bunch of flashback drama nonsense

joined Sep 5, 2018

I’m pretty sure Kayako was setting everything up for a Good End. Have a look at the last image in this tweet from her. The relevant text of the tweet says something like “I wanted to add a color sketch of them making out.” At least in my headcanon, Eimi seems to have figured out what love is.

Screenshot%20(107)
joined Dec 27, 2014

WHAT. THAT'S IT?.... HAHGEWB.

Eterna%20rinebow%20small
joined Oct 20, 2017

Well at least it was worth it for the salt

last edited at Mar 20, 2019 11:09AM

0ac36mn-_400x400
joined Mar 22, 2019

when i saw the credits page, i was like: jesus fuck what is that? then i realised it was just asobi asobase

yuriforeverandalways
Yuri%202%20copy
joined Feb 14, 2017

lol wtf was that ending, nothing was resolved

joined Feb 16, 2020

an open ending? whaaat

2SpiritCherokeePrincess
Carol%20grigg
joined Jun 20, 2020

I'm on the fence. The bad news: it was rather abusive. The good news: it does make sense. She didn't understand her own feelings & lashed out in pain. A psychological drama that's hard to take, hmm. Those credit pages...that's the deciding factor. I will never look at this manga again.

Tragedian%202
joined Oct 1, 2020

I rather liked this story. It's so messy that it sprints past realism and into that realm of uniquely fascinating dysfunctionality that begs you to write a giant analysis. We've got codependence, emotional manipulation, identity issues, repressed emotions, unfulfilled dreams, unsatisfying realities, and two very screwed-up people who simultaneously keep each other afloat and agonized. While it'd certainly be nightmarish in a real-world scenario, I think one of the biggest advantages of fiction is to take the roiling chaos and ugliness of reality and lend it a symmetry, positioning pettiness and negativity in fascinating contrasts that play off each other in wonderfully tortuous ways. Make no mistake, there is a genuine cycle of vengeance here, a depressing spiral that's half good intentions dropping into hell and half-gaslighting that'd make a mad scientist flinch.

These two girls feed each other's egos by starving each other of affection- Emi keeps Yuu from achieving the love she's desired for so long, and Yuu refuses to give Emi the perfect romance she wanted because it doesn't line up with her own beliefs. In the end, they finally have a Big, Dramatic Conversation, and this would be the point in a standard romcom where the leads who've tortured and spat at each other for most of the film finally admit that they were actually in Love all along. But not here- this story's too self-aware for that, too intelligent to wrap a trainwreck up with a pretty little bow.

These are two broken, obsessive people who've spent their entire lives telling each other blatant lies, each assuring the other that she's perfect in order to avoid realizing her own brokenness. And now that they finally reveal the truth, it's every bit as ugly as the rot that's festered underneath the adorable façade for years. Cathartically, inelegantly, they purge out all the love and resentment that's churned into a toxic mix, and is it any wonder that it doesn't look like candy and chocolates? Love charms are prayers and manipulation all rolled into one- Yuu, when she was a kid, fervently placed her hopes in them, and Emi, even as an adult, uses them to hex her way into success. But ultimately, love charms are just shams and pageantry, delusional when used in private and pathetic when revealed in public. There's no magical ending, no fairytale acceptance- just a pair of twisted idiots realizing that they'll never be straight (no pun intended), and chuckling hysterically about it.

That's precisely why I love the ending- Emi and Yuu start off as parasites and end up bizarrely symbiotic, too conjoined in their possessiveness to ever let go, even if they can't stand each other. For them, a union wouldn't be heavenly, because it's exactly the kind of hell they deserve- a Sisyphean slope of ever-rising intimacy that's doomed to always come apart when they reveal too much, only for them to pick themselves up again and push on, because what else is there to do? Stories like these are important as well, because for all the fluffy vignettes of adorable lesbians present on this site, there's still nothing quite like a peek into the theatre of the damned.

joined Dec 13, 2018

Well written and well analyzed, Kirin.

Y5
joined Jul 23, 2020

i headcanon Eimi as ace lol

joined Feb 13, 2022

i liked it, and i really dont understand why people are so hard on the ending.
its pretty clear that emi is just really emotionally confused, shes a teenager, its understandable. one kiss isnt going to be a eureka moment, shes still working out her jumbled up feelings. The stuffed animal represented how the girl took the first step for emi who wouldnt take those first steps and was adamant about taking her time.
its nice to have more manga where the girl realizing their feelings isnt depicted as all sunshine and rainbows and more of a mental breakdown. it wasnt perfect but its not a terrible story either

joined May 3, 2014

i liked it, and i really dont understand why people are so hard on the ending.
its pretty clear that emi is just really emotionally confused, shes a teenager, its understandable. one kiss isnt going to be a eureka moment, shes still working out her jumbled up feelings. The stuffed animal represented how the girl took the first step for emi who wouldnt take those first steps and was adamant about taking her time.
its nice to have more manga where the girl realizing their feelings isnt depicted as all sunshine and rainbows and more of a mental breakdown. it wasnt perfect but its not a terrible story either

yeah no the manga is just bad, how many people are gonna pretend it was an open ending when it was just not written well to get an good ending, mind you an good ending can be also open but not this one

joined Apr 16, 2022

I'm going to be a centrist and say that the pessimistic and optimistic interpretations of the ending are both right. This is certainly a codependent relationship full of mutual resentment, selfishness, and obsession. But I don't think that's all it is. There's plenty of evidence that Emi has real feelings of love that she just doesn't understand. Yuu is murkier because she's such a stoic person, but I don't think the similar phrasings here are coincidental:

Chapter 2 page 3: "**I don't remember how it happened**, but I grabbed her hand and pulled her to the center of class" --> page 5: "There's absolutely no reason why I [fall in love]."

Then there's her comment that Emi is "good at spoiling people, not only men." Not to mention her strange response when the two girls in the bathroom ask if Emi's taken someone from her: "Yeah... in a way." I don't think she's referring to her crushes there, since that's not "in a way," Emi very deliberately took all of them from her. Finally, her internal dialogue on pages 13-14 reads to me like she's legitimately trying to understand Emi, not just using her for self-satisfaction.

(This kind of thing makes me understand more what Kayako meant in her author's note when she said this is like a poem.)

joined Oct 9, 2022

Alright I just read I Hate Things Like Love and I must say it contained elements that were likeable but I can't help but feel unfufilled reading it. While there is a certain freshness to sticking to the idea that Emi hates, or is incapable, of "things like love" I'm left hungry for more after their fight and Yuu's attempt to allow Emi to sexually engage her. The whole story orbits Emi's obsession with Yuu as well as Yuu's poor taste in men. So when Yuu finds out about Emi's obsession and possessive nature it's hard not to get excited by how their relationship will develop except at that moment the curtains are drawn. The final moments of the manga offered many interesting emotions and a unique relationship dynamic that could've been explored. The manga ultimately feels unfinished.

To reply you must either login or sign up.