Forum › Dynasty Cafe: A Home for Off-Topic Discussion where everyone's welcome! (ღˇ◡ˇ)~♥

O%20tyebye
joined Feb 15, 2016

Thank you!
I'd like to give it a try but I don't actually like the incest tag...

Hardly the biggest fan of the tag either, but the MC's relationship is with her niece, so it's not that bad.

To be honest, the work's art is the best thing out of it.

Also, I'm all for seeing Blackkitty drunk.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

This is probably a good place to ask for an anime recommendation. What I'm in the mood for is a story where the main character wants to be the very best. The best that ever was. No, not that show!

Essentially I'm looking for something where a character picks up a pastime, skill, sport or what have you, and as they learn more about it makes a real effort to improve. Bonus points if there's lots of training involved. Sports, games, more fantastic pastimes like starship engineer, sudoku, I'm open to pretty much anything.

Doesn't have to be yuri or SFF themed. Definitely shouldn't be horror, although I can't imagine there are any horrors with those elements. I suppose I'd be fine with live-action if that's what comes up. Otherwise, I'd be interested to see if there's anything y'all can recommend.

Oh, and I've already watched Hikaru No Go and Hunter X Hunter (which has a bunch of fantasy training stuff) multiple times.

94230567_p0_master1200~2
joined Dec 24, 2014

^ Saki, Girls und Panzer, IM@S, those along the lines of what you're looking for?

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

^ Saki, Girls und Panzer, IM@S, those along the lines of what you're looking for?

Mmm, Saki's really a prodigy so it's more a bunch of girls with superpowers doing their thing. Watched the first season and liked it though. I've read the manga for Girls und Panzer, not quite what I'm looking for although I might watch it eventually. No idea about IM@S, isn't it basically an idol show?

94230567_p0_master1200~2
joined Dec 24, 2014

Yes, generally for IM@S it is an idol anime; the Cinderella Girls adapatation did a good job in showing the girls work towards being idols though iirc.

last edited at Sep 14, 2016 7:59PM

Screen%20shot%202022-12-24%20at%201.57.08%20am
joined Jun 11, 2016

@Nezchan
Ever heard of the Beyblade metal series ?

last edited at Sep 14, 2016 10:35PM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

@Nezchan
Ever heard of the Beyblade metal series ?

Looks like another one where the MC starts off as a prodigy. Dunno if it's what I'm looking for or not.

Dynasty%20necromancer
joined Mar 6, 2014

Essentially I'm looking for something where a character picks up a pastime, skill, sport or what have you, and as they learn more about it makes a real effort to improve.

Well that might be hard to get into since it's not a real sport... But Gundam Build Fighters immediatly comes to mind. coupled with some great soundtrack and animation

Toffee%20copy%202
joined Jan 2, 2014

Speaking of disappointing shows,

do I have to be the one to bring up fate/ stay night and unlimited blade works....

last edited at Sep 15, 2016 12:06AM

Rsz_1rsz_29112135412
joined May 21, 2016

Whenever I see/hear the words "Code Geass", the first thing comes to my mind is "Kill all Japanese."

Lmao same

Rsz_1rsz_29112135412
joined May 21, 2016

Speaking of disappointing shows,

do I have to be the one to bring up fate/ stay night and unlimited blade works....

A-aww...I was a fan of UBW..

Toffee%20copy%202
joined Jan 2, 2014

A-aww...I was a fan of UBW..

okay the thing about UBW was that it was better than the original but zero is 10 times better in my opinon and it was my first introduction to the franchise but still has the same problems with the first stay night

last edited at Sep 15, 2016 12:17AM

Dynasty%20necromancer
joined Mar 6, 2014

If you guys want to tell me why Code Geass R2 is better than Code Geass, go for it. As far as I see Code Geass R2, it is a rehash and retread a lot of the time, without being as well paced or consistent as the original was. R2 also had way too many silly plot twists and too many characters with too little development.

It's like lots of movies, gotta make the sequel bigger and better but lots of the times that fails.

I did like the first OP of R2 though.

Maaan, a part of me wish Code Geass never got as popular as it did, because of the surprising popularity they shifted R2 to air at 6PM, and to ease in the show for all the new audience they completely redid the entire plot, you can see the holes like swiss cheese or like Jotaro after the Sheer Heart Attack
Truly a shame

Hamansteam2
joined Jan 31, 2013

I cannot see how a season being inferior to another one makes it immedietly be bad, but it's just my opinion.

See the TV series LOST.

Well that might be hard to get into since it's not a real sport... But Gundam Build Fighters immediatly comes to mind. coupled with some great soundtrack and animation

Build Fighters is really cool. Surprised me really. It would be cool if they could somehow work it into a SRW game and Sei meets Amuro and stuff.

last edited at Sep 15, 2016 12:59AM

94230567_p0_master1200~2
joined Dec 24, 2014

Im literally sitting around and doing nothing atm, its rather great if I ignore the centuries old building and occasional roach moving around.

Tofu
joined Feb 8, 2016

This is probably a good place to ask for an anime recommendation. What I'm in the mood for is a story where the main character wants to be the very best. The best that ever was. No, not that show!

Essentially I'm looking for something where a character picks up a pastime, skill, sport or what have you, and as they learn more about it makes a real effort to improve. Bonus points if there's lots of training involved. Sports, games, more fantastic pastimes like starship engineer, sudoku, I'm open to pretty much anything.

Doesn't have to be yuri or SFF themed. Definitely shouldn't be horror, although I can't imagine there are any horrors with those elements. I suppose I'd be fine with live-action if that's what comes up. Otherwise, I'd be interested to see if there's anything y'all can recommend.

Oh, and I've already watched Hikaru No Go and Hunter X Hunter (which has a bunch of fantasy training stuff) multiple times.

Highly recommend Baby Steps, it's a tennis manga/anime. Really haven't seen any other game/sports show like it and he starts completely unfamiliar with tennis the way Hikaru does with go.

O%20tyebye
joined Feb 15, 2016

I cannot see how a season being inferior to another one makes it immedietly be bad, but it's just my opinion.

See the TV series LOST.

I have, and the main difference is that LOST ran for 6 seasons and 6 years, while Code Geass had only 2 seasons. Of course a show milked this much is bound to be a trainwreck.

94230567_p0_master1200~2
joined Dec 24, 2014

It seems I am getting paid for literally doing nothing all day…minus the crap working environment, I might've actually hit a jackpot here

last edited at Sep 15, 2016 6:39AM

Tumblr_lolhmrwbnl1qiyxpbo4_250
joined Jun 22, 2016

@ Galich

Also, I'm all for seeing Blackkitty drunk.

Great! ^^ Then we just need a plan...
She seems to be used to a little alcohol every once in a while... so we probably won't be able to get her drunk just by presenting her some cake with alcohol in it... right...? We need something better than that... Hmmm...
;)

@ Rina

YY was good until the last 2 eps; there isn't even a world left to defend anyways, why the flying hell would the other girls protect the tree for? Some misplaced hero complex? Tougou was the only character that make f___ing sense when she thought of just bloody destroying the damned thing and she was apparently painted as the antagonist....WTF? So making the girls and countless others suffer is okay if that stupid tree is still alive and their island is "safe", it ruined all of the emotional impact the previous scenes had knowing that they had no regrets becoming vegetables for the tree; like honestly why should I feel sorry for any of these hero-complex wannabes if they're fine with being abused by the Big High God Tree until they eventually become vegetables?

Why don't you just try to look at this as a metaphor...?
The tree could symbolize society and people need to protect it even if it makes them suffer?
Of course “society” as a thing can't protect itself. It can only survive if people are willing to protect it. We weren't all born just to have fun and to do whatever we please. Life is about sacrifice and some people had to make great sacrifices for society to work the way it does for us now...

Maybe that would make the show more enjoyable and like that the ending wouldn't ruin the rest of it for you...?

@ Nezchan

Here are some titles that might interest you:

Hajime no Ippo: The Fighting!
Yowamushi Pedal
Haikyuu!!
Major
Kaleido Star
Kuroko no Baske
All Out!!
Ookiku Furikabutte
Chihayafuru

I haven't watched any of them (yet) but some are supposed to be quite good...

Tofu
joined Feb 8, 2016

@ Nezchan

Here are some titles that might interest you:

Yowamushi Pedal
Haikyuu!!
Major
Kaleido Star
Kuroko no Baske
All Out!!
Ookiku Furikabutte
Chihayafuru

I haven't watched any of them (yet) but some are supposed to be quite good...

Out of these I've only watched Kuroko, Haikyuu!, and Chihayafuru and really enjoyed all of them. Still under the guidelines of what she was asking for, I'd say Baby Steps fits the bill more. All of them show quite a bit of training in addition to competitions. Kuroko and Haikyuu both have under-sized protagonists for their sports, but are essentially super-powered prodigies in some way, and so are at least some of their teammates. Kuroko in particular has a heavy dose of the sports anime super power absurdity (which I don't mind, just pointing it out). Chihayafuru also shows a lot of character growth in terms of ability, but more so in the more minor characters. The protagonist Chihaya is the best out of her friends except during flashbacks. For sports anime where they're learning and becoming better in a semi-realistic manner, Hikaru no Go (which Nez has already watched) and Baby Steps (not a completed series yet, manga or anime) are the cream of the crop to me.

Phpol1pm9_c1pm
joined Feb 3, 2015

I agree on Baby Steps as a recommendation for Nez. The efforts and the development of the protagonist seem more realistic to me than those of characters in other sports animes.

Yowamushi Pedal
Haikyuu!!
Major
Kaleido Star
Kuroko no Baske
All Out!!
Ookiku Furikabutte
Chihayafuru

Out of that list I've watched Chihayafuru and YowaPedal and I enjoyed both of them. Haykyuu and Basket - I couldn't bring myself to watch them till end because of the "super prodigy" aspect.

Some other titles that I can think of are:

Diamond no Ace
Cross Game
Over Drive

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

I actually have read the manga for Baby Steps, although I'm pretty behind. I'm up to chapter 240, while Manga Traders has up to ch 272. Didn't realize there was an anime though.

A little superpower doesn't bother me too much, so Chihayafuru might grab me. It seems like the sort of thing where the audience is educated on what the game is all about as much as the characters, in the manner of Hikaru no Go. I'll have to look over those and decide which one I'd like to try.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Oh, I see there's an anime for Area no Kishi too. I read the first little bit of the manga, 10 chapters or so, and liked what I saw.

Tofu
joined Feb 8, 2016

I actually have read the manga for Baby Steps, although I'm pretty behind. I'm up to chapter 240, while Manga Traders has up to ch 272. Didn't realize there was an anime though.

Yeah I just recently caught up. The anime is very well done, with two complete 24 eps. seasons.

A little superpower doesn't bother me too much, so Chihayafuru might grab me. It seems like the sort of thing where the audience is educated on what the game is all about as much as the characters, in the manner of Hikaru no Go. I'll have to look over those and decide which one I'd like to try.

The authors/artists of both are really out to promote the games in a compelling way. I know for sure Hikaru no Go was collaborated with go professionals and had the intention of bolstering interest in go among younger Japanese generations (and internationally to some extent) and was very successful in doing so.

Also, even though I've seen chess imagery in many manga and anime, I can't think of any that are about chess and the growth of a chess player. It seems like such an obvious topic for a sports anime, but I don't think one exists :| Could make the argument that chess isn't that popular in Japan (and a lot of their greatest minds study shogi and go instead), but there's one about American football...

To reply you must either login or sign up.