Forum › Virgins' Empire discussion

Huh
joined Dec 16, 2020

Um what?? Did we just get confirmation of romantic kisses (not as a joke) from multiple duos that weren't "there" yet? Especially Nononon/Yumimi and Haruka/Kanae, we've been getting extremely slow but steady progress between those two pairings...Why am I even complaining when I've been waiting so long for those two couples to properly hook up lol

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Ultra packed chapter! confirming how close and comfortable each one is with their pair at the moment... Meanwhile Nao and Onibi still need like 2 or 3 volumes of work T_T

But still, we have Honoka and Elisha and Mask x Kaoru, absolute blessing ! what a scary face lol, no way she'll ask for ONLY a kiss

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Um what?? Did we just get confirmation of romantic kisses (not as a joke) from multiple duos that weren't "there" yet? Especially Nononon/Yumimi and Haruka/Kanae, we've been getting extremely slow but steady progress between those two pairings...Why am I even complaining when I've been waiting so long for those two couples to properly hook up lol

I mean, a lot of them would probably rationalize that they did it because of the talk about electric kisses going around, so it kind of is "as a joke". Yumimi specifically seems to have been specifically trying out the "electric" part, and is...disappointed? that it didn't work. (of course it also looks like she didn't tell Nononon about it in advance, so from her perspective she just got kissed out of nowhere by her crush. Full gay panic mode)

Also I'm pretty sure Haruka and Kanae have been there for awhile. Some of their development has been kinda subtextual, but they honestly seem like one of the most explicitly romantic pairings in the comic. I wonder how many of these are people "trying out the rumor" and how many are accidents that just happened. Obviously Ayano and Miyoshi discover it first, and Miyoshi probably told everybody.

Amusingly, I think my favorite story here is Ed dodging the bullet of almost mixing up his current beau with his ex. The anxiety is real.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Yeah, as many people is saying I too felt like this chapter was kind of a deus ex machina device, I don't know how to solve the tension or don't want to step on the definitive line (yeap, this or that character is a lesbian) so I make them kiss as a joke to keep my readers happy and not bother the higher-ups. I know Kishi is a yuri author but this isn't serialized in a yuri magazine, hence, there's some stuff you can't show entirely so, welp.

Look, not every cutaway or offscreen tease is a result of censorship. Sometimes authors choose not to show something because they think it has better impact that way, or because they want to focus on the reaction, or some other aspect of the storytelling.

In this case, the comic literally shows two kisses right at the beginning, they're clearly allowed to show kisses. Kishi chose not to show most of the kisses because they're not relationship milestones. The kiss itself isn't meaningful, but the moment after the kiss says something about where everybody is.

Patreon_post_image-42_50_1_50
joined Sep 10, 2022

Yeah, as many people is saying I too felt like this chapter was kind of a deus ex machina device, I don't know how to solve the tension or don't want to step on the definitive line (yeap, this or that character is a lesbian) so I make them kiss as a joke to keep my readers happy and not bother the higher-ups. I know Kishi is a yuri author but this isn't serialized in a yuri magazine, hence, there's some stuff you can't show entirely so, welp.

Is this really an issue of higher ups not allowing yuri to be show? I mean mio and shizuka literally slept together in a very dramatic chapter showcasing the development of their relationship not too long ago

That's what I'm saying. It feels a bit like we're forgetting how upfront some of these couples are (that silent chapter was amazing, btw). This manga hasn't been at all coy about this stuff. Just depends on the current progress of the relationships. This was just a fun little thing in their daily lives, like normal.

last edited at Feb 26, 2024 2:35PM

joined Feb 1, 2021

So like Haruka and Kanae's kiss even though it wasn't shown was apparently the sweetest.

Of course it was, everything Haruka and Kanae do is the sweetest

23519190_1784036034940610_3865802561690641399_n
joined Oct 4, 2016

Kishi-sensei is a masterful tease. Giving the readers what they want, but doing so with maximum plausible deniability.

Poor Mari being hung out to dry. It's like the old joke where the masochist says "hurt me!" and the sadist says "no".

joined Aug 22, 2023

Wait so if Nononon ans Yumimi kissed and there was no spark, that makes it a real kiss right?
RIGHT!?!?
(ง ื▿ ื)ว

Mask
joined Jan 6, 2015

I hope we get a full Haruka and Kanae chapter soon. We really need an update on these two, preferably outside of school.

And still loving MayoKao. It feels like the Vamp has settled down a bit, and Mask has really learned how to handle her.

20210727_225006
joined Dec 9, 2021

Oh....oh my .....oh....sensei is ....oh my....this is really painful teasing!!!

joined May 10, 2021

Excuse me what?
Was that an alternate universe chapter where every reader is happy?
Where every God damn ship in the book finally sails?
Thanks for the chapter!

23519190_1784036034940610_3865802561690641399_n
joined Oct 4, 2016

And still loving MayoKao. It feels like the Vamp has settled down a bit, and Mask has really learned how to handle her.

He's really selling Kaoru's face-turn, and as a former Kaoru disliker, I am here for it.

Unnamed
joined Sep 11, 2019

Kinda sad that we don't see NaoxOnibi anymore :(
but really happy that HonoxEli is going forward at good pace :)
The title of the chapter remind me a song called "Electric Love" xd

last edited at Feb 26, 2024 5:52PM

joined Jul 6, 2023

The old cliché about gay men being promiscuous and unfaithful is alive and well, I see.

Also, the one who wrote that this manga has turned into YuruYuri in high school was right. I bet next chapter everything is back to the status quo and nobody remembers all these kisses.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

He's really selling Kaoru's face-turn, and as a former Kaoru disliker, I am here for it.

Y'know, at the time, I thought Mask's dere turn felt too abrupt, but after going back and reading the whole thing, it's better than I remembered it being.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

The old cliché about gay men being promiscuous and unfaithful is alive and well, I see.

. . . That isn't how I read that at all.

It sounds to me like Henry is an ex. Ed was about to bring up the story with Ian, which would have been very bad mojo. Confusing stories of your ex with stories of your current relationship rarely ends up as a positive experience.

Also, the one who wrote that this manga has turned into YuruYuri in high school was right. I bet next chapter everything is back to the status quo and nobody remembers all these kisses.

Man, you're just fun times all over, huh?

Not every kiss and every bit of development is a big earth-shattering event, but the point of this story is to show us bits of the relationships between the girls. It's a snapshot of where they're all at at this point in time. Catching us up, as it were. The rest of the chapters have all the development.

Christ, all you have to do is pick literally any one of those tags at the top and hop back to the first thing with that tag to see how much development all of these couples have had over the years. There is a whole lot.

(Edit: Well, ALMOST any one of those tags. Airi and Michiru has been spinning their wheels in the mud since day one, and MahiMahi are practically immune to the entire concept of character development.)

last edited at Feb 26, 2024 6:43PM

President%20and%20new%20hire%20profile%20pic%202
joined Sep 27, 2017

What? To my knowledge he was mixing up the memories of his current partner with his ex. Then he felt relief when he remembered correctly so he wouldn't make things awkward for his partner. To my knowledge there is nothing about him being "promiscuous and unfaithful".

How is this YuruYuri? Yes there are some elements of the relationships being used for comedy but YuruYuri as far as the anime went just had the gay element only for the sake of comedy (some of which is just offensive imo) and beating around the bush. This series has actual couples and even sex. There might be some pairings that excuse the kiss as part of the trend, but there are very clearly canon couples here that have been progressing forward.

last edited at Feb 26, 2024 6:53PM

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

How is this YuruYuri? Yes there are some elements of the relationships being used for comedy but YuruYuri as far as the anime went just had the gay element only for the sake of comedy and beating around the bush. This series has actual couples and even sex. There might be some pairings that excused the kiss as part of the trend, but there are very clearly canon couples here that have been progressing forward.

I think the short chapters are skewing their perception of the rest of the series. The chapters with development still come with regularity, but there's a lot of little gags and snippets that have been thrown in the mix that give the feeling that there's a lot more silly fluff than there used to be. Especially since the translators did a big catch-up on those at one point, so there were a lot of content dumps of short chapters for awhile.

Patreon_post_image-42_50_1_50
joined Sep 10, 2022

How is this YuruYuri? Yes there are some elements of the relationships being used for comedy but YuruYuri as far as the anime went just had the gay element only for the sake of comedy and beating around the bush. This series has actual couples and even sex. There might be some pairings that excused the kiss as part of the trend, but there are very clearly canon couples here that have been progressing forward.

I think the short chapters are skewing their perception of the rest of the series. The chapters with development still come with regularity, but there's a lot of little gags and snippets that have been thrown in the mix that give the feeling that there's a lot more silly fluff than there used to be. Especially since the translators did a big catch-up on those at one point, so there were a lot of content dumps of short chapters for awhile.

They're just taking these lighthearted chapters far too seriously and running away with wild assumptions.

last edited at Feb 26, 2024 7:22PM

joined May 23, 2013

Wait so if Nononon ans Yumimi kissed and there was no spark, that makes it a real kiss right?
RIGHT!?!?
(ง ื▿ ื)ว

I think the implication is that Nononon chickened out at the last moment and pulled back right before their lips would have touched.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

RIGHT!?!?
(ง ื▿ ื)ว

I think the implication is that Nononon chickened out at the last moment and pulled back right before their lips would have touched.

Huh, interesting, I wouldn't have thought to read it that way, but it is plausible now that I look back at it.

The "kiss" sound effect seems to imply contact, but the dialogue does make more sense if Nononon pulled away.

Miowink
joined Aug 21, 2020

This is a momentous day.

joined Jul 6, 2023

What? To my knowledge he was mixing up the memories of his current partner with his ex.

Do we know for a fact that he has an ex named Henry? Because there's an "I almost talked about my ex" type of reaction and an "I almost revealed I had an affair" type of reaction and this looks to me like the latter. The face you make when what you almost said could have lead to a breakup.

How is this YuruYuri?

I can't talk for the original poster but I believe the meaning is that in 10 years most of these couples will still be at the stage of slowly getting closer.

If that's what happened, the kiss sound effect is all wrong. I've never heard of a manga using it ("chu" or whatever) for a failed kiss attempt that didn't land.

Nononon doesn't strike me as the type of girl who has the reflex of pulling away from a kiss from her crush. More like the type who mindblanks when she sees the face of her crush feeling her visual field and can't react for sh*t no matter what happens.

joined Oct 15, 2019

Do we know for a fact that he has an ex named Henry? Because there's an "I almost talked about my ex" type of reaction and an "I almost revealed I had an affair" type of reaction and this looks to me like the latter. The face you make when what you almost said could have lead to a breakup.
the type who mindblanks when she sees the face of her crush feeling her visual field and can't react for sh*t no matter what happens.

.... think about what type of manga this is. You REALLY think this is a case of infidelity and with zero guilt to boot? The only time angst/drama happened was almost 100 chapters ago and with 1 single couple. That's it. Bringing up moments with your EX to your current partner invokes this exact reaction.

President%20and%20new%20hire%20profile%20pic%202
joined Sep 27, 2017

I didn't get that at all personally.

I can't talk for the original poster but I believe the meaning is that in 10 years most of these couples will still be at the stage of slowly getting closer.

Thing is that there is actual romantic progress in this series, unlike Yuru Yuri. Even if it's slow and some of the couples are a bit behind.

To reply you must either login or sign up.