Forum › And Thus I Was Picked Up By My Boss's Daughter discussion

joined May 3, 2014

Why does this have a yuri tag?
This is shoujou ai at most.

it should had the tag Subtext not Yuri

joined May 3, 2014

Not Yuri

TRUE! can we get that tag on this story?

This is a friendly reminder that you're thinking of the romance tag and not the yuri tag. Works which fit the genre will have the yuri tag and works with romantic content will have the romance tag. Always be sure to mind the tags to avoid disappointment

All complaints about what constitutes yuri can be forwarded to Comic Yuri Hime for consideration

Not true at all for example A Love Yet To Bloom does that mean there will be 0 romance or it just another yuribait ?

or are you telling me this ONE This is Obviously a Yuri Manhua is just another subtext or yuribate cuz it does not have the romance tag either!

from the looks of it on this website the absence of Romance tag while the yuri tag is in does not make the story about just friendship or subtext or worst yuribait

Dark_Tzitzimine
67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

I read through this in a sitting and I don't understand what was all that about. It was like watching a Mexican telenovela with the way the plot kept getting contrived and at points, outright dumb. It left a lot of plotlines without a satisfactory resolution or a resolution at all but it still had some weird charm.

joined Apr 10, 2023

Overall this manga was pretty okay. Like SAD said in the final translation notes, this really would have been improved by a timeskip and a changed Kazuha. It also would have been an amazing manga if the author had committed to what they seemed strongly tempted to do, which is let Nagashima move on from the highschooler who had hijacked her life and get herself an OL romance with Takimiya. I wonder if there was controversy among the Japanese fans, with some people protesting the potential age gap relationship when it's been very plausibly platonic this whole time, and some people wanting that age gap romance and hating the idea of a Takimiya plot twist turning that into bait. The finale we got feels like a compromise trying to make those two camps not mad, which resulted in a somewhat muddled feeling.

last edited at Feb 1, 2024 3:51PM

joined Aug 1, 2022

I liked this little series. It really did feel telenovela shojou with a bit of josei. It was really funny and cute. Usually I'm not cool with vauger endings but I'm fine with this one. Thanks for translating, SAD!

joined Jan 3, 2020

Overall this manga was pretty okay. Like SAD said in the final translation notes, this really would have been improved by a timeskip and a changed Kazuha. It also would have been an amazing manga if the author had committed to what they seemed strongly tempted to do, which is let Nagashima move on from the highschooler who had hijacked her life and get herself an OL romance with Takimiya. I wonder if there was controversy among the Japanese fans, with some people protesting the potential age gap relationship when it's been very plausibly platonic this whole time, and some people wanting that age gap romance and hating the idea of a Takimiya plot twist turning that into bait. The finale we got feels like a compromise trying to make those two camps not mad, which resulted in a somewhat muddled feeling.

Nah. If there's one thing I've learned from reading manga, it's that Japanese readers don't think about questions like "is this age gap too big?" and "are these characters too young?". There are multiple manga on this very site where the ages of the lead characters are 12 and 30, and some of them have more romance than this one.

I mean, personally, those type of stories make me feel very uncomfortable, but it doesn't seem to bother folks over there nearly as much.

RadiosAreObsolete
Img_20210321_022239%20(2)
joined Mar 6, 2021

I finally got around to reading this one and... it kind of felt like a waste of time to be honest.

I'd like to first address my issue with the tags. I should mention that my main reason for starting this was the Glasses and it didn't disappoint in that regard. However, regardless of some comments arguing that this is considered Yuri in Japan, I think we should acknowledge that this tag comes with at least some kind of expectations, which were not met in this manga. This is not so much about what the manga is categorised as by the original publisher, as it is about what the audience here on Dynasty considers Yuri. I think that, in Dynasty terms, this falls under the Subtext category, if anything.
Now would this work be particularly enjoyable if it was tagged properly...? Not really, but at least a lot of readers would be saved from the extra disappointment that comes from it not meeting false expectations.

Moving on to the problems I had with the manga itself:
The writing was subpar and the plot seemed to be a bit all over the place. It started off with two supposedly suicidal characters, yet this was never properly addressed. Then we had the whole "mystery" about the father, but the resolution was very underwhelming. A lot of what was happening regarding the family and the company seemed rather nonsensical to me (though it might have been partly due to my lack of engagement). And all of this might have been fine, if I could attribute it to the manga being a comedy, but to me it failed in that regard as well. It was very goofy in a lot of moments, but it was never actually funny.

Pfp%20copy
joined Dec 10, 2022

Finally decided to read through this and uh.... Eh. It's alright. Not really a yuri tho. I honestly think Takimiya would make a better gf for Haruka. For Kazuha, she's way more of a mother figure imo.

Also I agree with the above reply that the story is all over the place. I think the familial dispute and the power games they play here are kinda lame and boring and doesn't go anywhere... I found myself skipping through story exposition dialogues and still managed to understand the plot cuz it was so generic and played out. Also, the premise of having Haruka as a spy is uhhhh..... nonsensical. Oh yeah, this employee who keeps making mistakes? Yeah, put her in charge of one of the most crucial spy job and let her know confidential intels regarding the CEO's family. What??? How did anyone expect her to even get close to the CEO's daughter??

The characters' motives are also incoherent. Like, the aunt. She's presented as this big bad of the story but she's also kinda... pathetic? She gives in so goddamn easily at the end and becomes a comic relief and it put me off. Her whole act is a series of whiplashes. Same goes for Loid Forger, sorry, the dad. Don't remember his name he looks like Loid Forger. Loid acts all mysterious-like at the beginning but there really wasn't anything to it. The extent to his secret is basically just that Kazuha ain't his real daughter, and his actions are very predictable and boring.

All in all, cute but not really good. I don't think I regret reading it, there were some good moments here and there, but man did this feel clunky. The first scene where Kazuha and Haruka fall from the roof together was such a powerful scene I think I wanted more of that kind of stuff.

bodyguards hands-down best part of the whole manga tho btw

To reply you must either login or sign up.